As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me buy books for my dad

Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..."a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
edited August 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
So, my father, who has basically spent his adult life not reading for pleasure, has suddenly started getting into military memoir-type stuff: No Easy Day, Black Hawk Down, etc.

Can anyone recommend some more books in this vein? His tastes run more towards "thrilling adventure" than "deep introspection about war". Also, I think a true story would go over better than a fictional one.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
oE0mva1.jpg
Mike Danger on

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    The jack reacher book series is good, but they are fiction.

zepherin on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    A few easy picks: Band of Brothers, The Bielski Brothers, We Were Soldiers Once...And Young and With the Old Breed

Stephen Ambrose books make for a good easy read but there have been accusations made against him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_E._Ambrose#Criticism

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Do you want newer, more recent books or would memoirs by, say, Winston Churchill or earlier be fine as well? There are a lot of war memoirs from many years back that are nonstop tales of their exploits and romps, so long as your dad is willing to branch out beyond recent American literature. Also, just land war or is naval warfare fine too?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Andy McNab writes some enjoyable novels. Bravo Two Zero is a true story about some SAS dudes that got in all kinds of trouble behind enemy lines in the first Gulf War.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    The Forever War is a great war book... it is also sci-fi, which I don't know if he might like.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Do you want newer, more recent books or would memoirs by, say, Winston Churchill or earlier be fine as well? There are a lot of war memoirs from many years back that are nonstop tales of their exploits and romps, so long as your dad is willing to branch out beyond recent American literature. Also, just land war or is naval warfare fine too?

I think at some point I could ease him into those, but right now it's been strictly modern stuff. As far as naval warfare goes, I think that could work.
    Andy McNab writes some enjoyable novels. Bravo Two Zero is a true story about some SAS dudes that got in all kinds of trouble behind enemy lines in the first Gulf War.

Thanks, I'll check this out!
    The Forever War is a great war book... it is also sci-fi, which I don't know if he might like.
    zepherin wrote: »
    The jack reacher book series is good, but they are fiction.
    Mulletude wrote: »
    A few easy picks: Band of Brothers, The Bielski Brothers, We Were Soldiers Once...And Young and With the Old Breed

Stephen Ambrose books make for a good easy read but there have been accusations made against him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_E._Ambrose#Criticism

Thanks for these, too! They're not really in his wheelhouse at the moment, but I'll make a note of them as his tastes evolve.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    All Quiet on the Western Front was a fantastic movie and an even better book.

• Options
    LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    Espionage/Military is a genre I have read veeeery little, but wouldn't Tom Clancy be what your Dad is looking for? I can't suggest any single book, as I have not read them, but he has written tons.

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular

Also about the same mission is the Chris Ryan book The One that Got Away. Partway through their escape the group got split up, McNab going one way, and Ryan going the other, so they make a good reading pair. It should probably be noted though, that both books have lots of enhanced elements to make them more exciting rather than factual reads.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Ahh, more modern :)

I did read a book a ways back called Boots on the Ground. An easy read about the 82nd Airborne during the invasion of Iraq.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Hammer's Slammers by David Drake. "He was a nice boy from a backwood's planet..."

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Just throwing this out there.

My father gave me shit on a regular basis about me reading 'funny books' when i was a kid.

Now whenever he visits me, he attacks my graphic novels.

Find something like Planet Hulk/World War hulk and see if he likes it.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Catch-22 best WW2 book.

(Maybe Slaughterhouse 5, but that's a little out there.)

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Maybe the Axis of Time Trilogy, starting with Weapons of Choice. It's a bit sci-fi at first, but really it's about military culture now vs back in WW2. Basically, a few multi-national near-future warships get sent back in time and help fight in WW2. Neat little series!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien

A Frozen Hell: The Russo-Finnish Winter War of 1939-1940 by William Trotter.

• Options
    cecilycecily Registered User regular
    How about the books of Patrick O'Brian? He wrote nautical historical novels. I know a navy pilot who loves his many books as did my dad, another navy man. Probably the most famous of the series is "Master and Commander". The movie starred Russell Crowe.

Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey–Maturin_series

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    I'll second The Things They Carried as an amazing book, although, how receptive do you think your father will be to some philosophy? The point of the book is
    that there is no objective reality, only subjective interpretations that are equally valid, and to illustrate this point, the same stories are told multiple times, with different variations on the truth, and the narrator explicitly states that whether or not something "actually happened" is of little consequence to its value as a story.

It's still a collection of war stories, but also an exercise.

Jurg on
    sig.gif