As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DCHRPG] Batman: Arkham Asylum- Act 2: Joker's Asylum

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    A doctor Quinn may have been, but at this point, sane and rational she was not. There's likely a flaw in her trap I can exploit. I whisper so that only the comm can pick it up.

"Look for another way out Freeze. Worse comes to worst, Nightwing and the other Batman should be able to open the doors once they have a hold of Security." Which should be soon, I think to myself. Hopefully the boys hadn't gotten into a hot-dogging contest.
    Buddy d8 World's Greatest Detective d8 Enhanced Senses d8 Tech Expert d8

4d8=13

Augh, 7 with a d8 effect. They better get those locks open or this'll be a short run...

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Batman looks around but there doesn't seem to be a way out of it. Maybe it's something he's missing.
    Doom Pool Against Batman (2d6, 2d8): 2#1d8 1 4 2#1d6 5 6 11 d8

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Nightwing

"You sure about that, T? I can't keep a touch of dry humor from the words as I leap into action. I get some good hits in, but the guards are forewarned, and don't go down easily.
    Buddy d8, Dedicated Hero d8, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Escrima Sticks d6, SFX: Area Attack 2d6, Combat Expert d8

Knock out the guards: 4#1d8 3 3 5 7 3#1d6 3 3 3

Look at all them 3s.

7+5+3(d6)(-1PP)=15 w/ d8, d8, d6 effect

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Mr. Freeze

"If I am to be of any assistance to you in disrupting the Joker's efforts, at some point I really must acquire some tools. I do not imagine you know where the maintenance workers keep theirs, nor would you be eager to direct me to the air conditioning units for the complex?"

Not waiting for an answer, Freeze begins examining the electrified door mechanisms and looking for a way to disrupt them using his suit.

Tinkering:

Tech Master d10 (3) + Buddy d8 (3) + Cold and Calculating d8 (6) + Ice Control d6 (3) = Throw a PP behind that for a 12, d10 effect.

• Options
    It takes Freeze a few moments before there is a loud pop and a shower of sparks. The lights briefly flicker before the electric gate shorts out.

One of the guards yells out from behind the other electric gate. "Batman, Mr. Freeze, we are getting reports that Joker has unleashed some sort of gas inside the Decontamination Area. There are guards dying inside! Hurry!"

Doom Pool Against Mr. Freeze (2d8, 2d6): 2#1d8 2 2 2#1d6 2 1= 4, d6

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    @Matev : as you appear to be around again, do some Batman stuff so we can perhaps get this rolling once more?

• Options
    My apologies if everyone's been waiting on me

"No time lose Freeze, let's go." I shove the door open. More lives at risk because of the Joker's illness. I can't wait to get my hands on him...

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Mr. Freeze

Freeze follows, unconcerned about a gas attack.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    The guard stands at the large security door. The glass panel shows nothing but a curtain of green lying on the other side of the door. "Batman! There are people trapped inside. How did the Joker get some much of his gas in here? You have to save them!"

Nightwing takes down two of the prisoners with easy, but the last guy blocks one of Nightwing's takedown attempts and fights back with a right hook at his attacker.
    Sorry, I forgot about @jdarksun and @dresdenphile I'm glad we are back in black!

Dodge Nightwing (Team 3d8, Dangerous d8, Combat Novice d6): 4#1d8 3 2 8 5 1#1d6 5 13, d8

Attacking Nightwing (Solo d8, Dangerous d8, Combat Novice d6): 2#1d8 8 6 1#1d6 2 14, d6 Physical Stress

DOOM POOL: 2d8, 2d6
    Scene Distinctions: Office Furniture, Vents
    1PP [ ] Future Batman (Terry McGinnis)
    2PP [ ] Nightwing (Dick Grayson)
    Blackgate Prisoners 1d8, d6 Physical Damage.

Scene Distinctions: Locked Security Doors, Joker's Gas, High Platforms, Vents, Dying Guards and Prisoners.
    1PP [ ] Batman (Bruce Wayne)
    3PP [ ] Mr. Freeze

After reactions, @dresdenphile can go next.

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Nightwing

Surprised, Nightwing takes a punch to the jaw.
    Team d10, Dedicated Hero d8, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Body Armor d8, Combat Expert d8

reaction: 1#1d10 4 4#1d8 3 4 5 3

ugh

4+4+5 (-1PP) = 13 w/ d8 effect

take d6 physical strain

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Terry

Sloppy, Terry, and careless. I'm not exactly doing my best here.

I recall the Batarangs to me by remote control and quickly flip them out once more at the guards. Hopefully, I can hit the dregs this time...
    Buddy, TK, Batarang, Combat Expert

Attack Guards: 1d10 1 1d8 7 1d8 5 1d6 4 1d6 4 1d8 8

Wow, almost an identical roll.

15 with a d8, d6, and d6 physical stress

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The throw hits the prisoner in the head and knocks him out cold. Now to find Harley Quinn...
    Dodging the Batarangs (1d8 Solo, Dangerous d8, Combat Novice d6): 2#1d8 3 3 1#1d6 5 8, d8

And I'll buy that one.

DOOM POOL: 3d6, 2d8

Scene Distinctions: Office Furniture, Vents
    2PP [ ] Future Batman (Terry McGinnis)
    2PP [ ] Nightwing (Dick Grayson)
    Blackgate Prisoners 1d8, d6 Physical Damage.

Scene Distinctions: Locked Security Doors, Joker's Gas, High Platforms, Vents, Dying Guards and Prisoners.
    3PP [ ] Mr. Freeze

More on that later when I get back from work.

• Options
    Nightwing and Future Batman continue on until they come to the Security Room. They don't see anyone, just a computer and some container, similar to Mr. Freeze's Crytotank. The PA system dings again. "Oh, there you are! I thought you might have run off. Anyways, Mistah J has been playing with some new toys and is doing a product test. So tell me what you think of him. And be honest." Suddenly, the Electric Gates turn on, trapping the heroes inside the Security Room and the container opens.

A massive hulking creature is inside, and he looks angry. He's features are twisted and beefed up. Spike protrude from his skin and the Joker has painted a clown face on him, just for that extra touch. The creature yells at the heroes and charges at Future Batman!
    Attacking Future Batman (3d8 Solo, Titan-Induced Rage d8, Titan Strength 2d12 (SFX: Charge!), Combat Expert d8: 5#1d8 4 1 8 5 3 2#1d12 11 11 Dear GOD! 22 d8!

DOOM POOL: 3d6, 2d8

Scene Distinctions: Security Computer, Electric Gates.
    2PP [ ] Future Batman (Terry McGinnis)
    2PP [ ] Nightwing (Dick Grayson) d6 Physical Stress
    Titan Thug 3d8

3PP [ ] Mr. Freeze

@dresdenphile reaction and attack!

• Options
    Terry

I see the roided-out dreg come charging at me full tilt. I don't have time to dodge, so let's hope the suit takes the hit for me.
    Buddy d10, TK d8, Superhuman Durability d10, Combat Expert d8

Reaction to Titan Thug: 1d10 10 1d8 6 1d10 4 1d8 7

Holy cow; I actually rolled decently! I'll spend a PP to make it 23 with a d10.

The guy tries to bull rush me, but the recoil dampeners in my suit keep me standing firm as the goon crashes into me. The look on his face as he comes to a dead stop is totally worth the bruises I'm going to have from this later.

"You may want to lay off steroids for a while, man. Your balls have gotta be the size of raisins at this point. Not a selling point with the ladies."

I plant both hands on the goon's shoulder and somersault over him, flinging my swingline behind me.

"The bigger they are..." I say, as I tighten the line around the Joker goon.
    Buddy d10, TK d8, Swingline + SFX 2d6, Acrobatic Master d10

Attack Titan Thug: 1d10 5 1d8 8 1d6 5 1d6 5 1d10 4

I'll spend a PP to make that an 18 with a d12 (upgraded d10 due to my Swingline SFX) Tied Up complication.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Swingline grabs the creature by the throat and with Terry's momentum, it is slammed to the ground hard. "...the harder they fall!" Terry says as he rolls into a combat stance.

The creature however, only looks up briefly before it's eyes roll back and it quiets breathing.

"What?" The PA system buzzes loudly with it's echoing. "How did you do that? Mistah J isn't going to like that, not one bit. Oh, well. Back to the drawing board. Maybe we need to increase the volume. Or get stronger subjects. What do you think?" Harley ask as the PA system goes dead.
    That was a hell of a roll...

Reaction against Future Batman (3d8 Solo, Titan-Induced Rage d8, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Combat Expert d8): 6#1d8 1 1 1 2 6 5 11 d8, Beats by 5 so I think that's a wrap! He would have died of the Heart Attack in the third round anyhow...

• Options
    Mr. Freeze

Freeze approaches the door and examines it, looking for a weak point. Finally he allows a thin glaze of ice to spread over the glass panel before trying to punch through...

Punch!: 13, d8 effect versus your security door, using Buddy, Cold & Calculating, Enhanced Strength, Ice Control, and Crime Expert.

• Options
    I'll search the room for riddles, since it's all green up-ins.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The ice weakens the security glass, allowing Freeze to smash through it. Green Joker Gas rolls into the hallway.

"Jesus! Did you have to do that? It's going to get in here!" the guard asks as he backs away from the door.
    @Auralynx, try breaking your dice up like this 4#1d8; 1#1d6 when you do your rolls. It make it easier to tell which dice is rolling what.

Breaking Bad (3d6, 2d8): 3#1d6 6 6 1 2#1d8 6 5 12 d8, Glass Broke

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Mr. Freeze

Freeze's eyebrow twitches and the corners of his mouth quirk slightly, but he quickly resumes his usual expressionless demeanor.

"Then I suggest that you ensure that the area is well-ventilated. Activate the building's air control systems immediately. The Joker's gas acts less quickly at low temperatures."

Not bothering to wait for Batman, he reaches through the security glass, gets a grip, and wrenches the door open. Freeze strides into the gas-choked hallway, confident that even in its current state his suit will provide some protection from the Joker Gas.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    "Dammit Freeze!" I yell as I dodge back, fishing a pair of small gas masks from my belt. I hand one to the guard.

"Get some air flow in here, now!" I snarl with urgency as I fit my own mask on. Freeze's traumas have left him emotionally dead. (mostly) his lack of tact is unsurprising. I charge in after him.

My mask should allow me to breath for a bit, but I shouldn't push it's limits. I see some platforms suspended in this room and use my grapple gun to launch up to them, keeping my ears out for guards.
    Any rolls I need to make here, or am I good?

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    You're good.

From above the gas, Batman gets a clearer view of the room. There are five people still moving within the gas, not including Freeze.

"Batman, help!" A voice from a nearby platform cries out. "I can't hold on much longer..."

• Options
    Nightwing

"Wow, T." I can't quite believe my eyes. "That was pretty impressive." Casting about the room, I look for something of note... perhaps a riddle?

• Options
    I see the trapped people. A man cries for help. Before he can finish, I'm already in motion, running over to the ledge to pull him up.
    Duo d8 Obsessive Champion of Gotham d8 Enhanced Reflexes d8 Acrobatics Expert d8

4d8=17

11, with a d8 mod For The Save in case I need it. And of course a 1 for you to buy off friend GM

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Batman leaps from one ledge to another in a desperate attempt to save the guard. But it's not enough and Batman barely gets to the ledge as the man's grip gives way and he falls to his death. Still five people in the gas...

Oracle chimes into Nightwing and Future Batman's ear piece. "I've mapped the security grid to Arkham. The computer system in front of you is connected to the Stage 1 Electric Gates at the Intensive Treatment Center. If you hack it I might be able to place a firewall on it so that Harley can't come back to lock you in again. Batman and Mr. Freeze are about to move into Stage 2 areas, so if you can reach the second Security Room, you could unlock their doors, which will allow them to move around better. Of course, that would mean that the prisoners and Joker will be able too, but its a risk we might have to take. Your other course is to leave them to finding a way out and follow Harley's trail. I'm sure she left something in that room that you can use to track her movements."

Of course I'll buy your ones. They are delicious! Doom Pool 2d6, 3d8

I'm falling! (2d6, 3d8): 3#1d8 2 1 8 2#1d6 4 2 Damn. 12 d8.

DOOM POOL: 2d6, 3d8

0PP [ ] Future Batman (Terry McGinnis)

2PP [ ] Batman (Bruce Wayne)
    3PP [ ] Mr. Freeze

• Options
    Mr. Freeze

Freeze pushes through the gas, his goggles helping to overcome the worst of the visibility problems. He stops momentarily to grab a set of keycards from one of the incapacitated guards:

"Do not move. Activity will increase the rate at which your body absorbs the gas."

Freeze's face spasms once more; apparently he isn't quite as immune to the Joker Gas as he'd assumed. Nonetheless, he reaches the room's climate controls and begins working to activate the vents and sprinklers to abate the gas...

Science! Buddy d8 (3), Joker Gas d4 (1), Enhanced Stamina d8 (3), Science Master d10 (6) : 12, d4 effect, after spending a PP, to remove the Joker Gas scene distinction.

• Options
    The gas made Mr. Freeze's hands twitch too much to slide the key card in. From his peripheral vision, Freeze sees the guard he got the key card from convulse violently while a strange fearful laugh escapes from the guard's lips. A reminder to Freeze what happens if you breath too much of Joker's Gas.

Gas B' Gone! (2d6, 3d8): 2#1d6 3 1 3#1d8 4 8 6 14, d6, just remember that you can add that 1 (d6) to your next roll to take advantage of the Doom Pool.

DOOM POOL: 2d6, 3d8

0PP [ ] Future Batman (Terry McGinnis)

2PP [ ] Batman (Bruce Wayne)
    3PP [ ] Mr. Freeze

• Options
    Nightwing

"Hm. Hack the computer system? I'll try."
    Buddy d8, Dedicated Hero d8, Enhanced Senses d8, Utility Belt d8, ... no skills for this :)

Hack the Gibson!: 4#1d8 7 7 6 6

7+7+6 (-1PP) = 20 w/ d8 effect

• Options
    It takes only a few moments to find the password of BM@N43v3r and get into the system. The computer has two programs, Securitron and an Enigmatic 5.0.
    Hack the World! (2d6, 3d8): 2#1d6 6 5 3#1d8 6 5 6 Damn, that's a good roll. 12, d8

• Options
    Nightwing

Making a mental note to come back to Enigmatic 5.0., I first check Securitron for a way to give Oracle remote access.

• Options
    The Securitrion system opens up and has an option for remote access. With Oracle telling him what to do, Nigthwing patches her into the server.

"Great, this is better than I thought. I also have access to the security cameras. Seems like Batman and Freeze are dealing with a room full of Joker Gas. But I don't have access to Security 2 cameras, doors, or that room's vent system. I'll need a manual hack from the next Security room to do that. But it looks like the prisoners are outside. Once you leave, you'll have to deal with that. If I can give you more, I'll call. Oracle Out."

• Options
    Nightwing

"Acknowledged, Oracle." Now to see what that Enigma program is about...

• Options
    The Enigmatic 5.0 brings up a command prompt like screen. At first there is a large ? that covers the screen then it gives a riddle and a series of words that seem to be cut in half:

Riddle: The more there is, the less you see. What could I be?

Words 1
    SEC
    DARK
    WEAK
    OR

Word 2
    NESS
    FIT
    DER
    TER

• Options
  • Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Anybody think it's anything other than DARKNESS?
    Looking it up on the internet? That's cheating, Nightwing. But fine, have your 3XP. Next time I won't make it so easy.

• Options
  • Options
    No, he's giving saucy in-character Riddler answers in spoilers. You're fine.

• Options
    I had a better one but I lost it somewhere and I just grabbed one I just solved in Arkham City.

• Options
    I grit my teeth as I hear the guard scream on the down. One more to tonight's tally, my heart breaks. Still more to save. I pull out my grapple gun, launching and feeling the hook dig into roof. I swing off the platform towards the closest shape in the fog....
    just in case...

Duo d8 Obsessive champion of Gotham d8 Acrobatics expert d8 Swingline d8 Joker Gas 1d4

1d8=8, 1d8=5, 1d8=8, 1d8=2, 1d4=2

I'll take 16 with a d8 "swing into action" effect

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Batman makes it to a guard and swings him out onto one of the catwalk platforms above. "Thanks Batman. There are still more inside *cough* the gas."

• Options
    Mr. Freeze

Freeze closes his eyes for a moment and regains his composure, then takes another crack at the fire-suppression systems...

Ugh.
    Let's throw the PP I'm about to get back in to make that a 15, d4 effect. :/