Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Spoilers]State of the Mignolaverse

124»

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Registered User regular
    I'd started to feel less enthused about the Mignola-verse a while back. The apocalyptic atmosphere of BPRD/Abe was beginning to drag as it all started to feel so hopeless. Hellboy in Hell was a little too obscure and plot light for me. Even 1952 seemed a little been there, done that.

Today I picked up Frankenstein Underground and, Wow. Now that's what I'm on board the Mignola-verse for! A perfect mix of plot to action and for once a non-nihilistic ending! Throw in the call back to one of my absolute favourite BPRD stories with the collection guy and I absolutely loved it.

All keen to try and catch back up now, and looks like I've got quite a way to go. Last read Abe vol 5 and BPRD vol 9. I see there's a Hellboy in Hell vol 2 now as well.

Edit: Reading up thread I'm glad to see my views seem to be shared. Also just saw the 'The Visitor' announcement. I always wondered if we'd go back re-visit those alien guys.

We've known the world was going to end since Plague of Frogs. BPRD and Hellboy became very much a Armageddon/Ragnarok style story with the heroes fighting to deny their enemies the right to remake the world in *their* image. The human race is most likely done on Earth, but that's not necessarily a bad thing given what we've seen in other books.
    Hell has been destroyed, lost souls can be redeemed, there's a small, quiet underground being preserved for mankind to be the next "mythological" creatures like the elves once were.

So yeah, the world is ending, I don't agree it's hopeless though. There's still some cards left to play.
    Didn't Hellboy save England? Like, he spent his "Fuck you, Fate!" card to set it up so's that when the apocalypse is come and gone, merry old England still lives on, safely removed from the complete shitstorm everyone else gets to deal with.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Kind of, he saved:
    Mythical England, a sort of pocket universe run by Alice. Real England still had problems like a necromancer summoning the corpses of giants killed by King Arthur's army and what not.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The PIT, level 26Registered User regular
    England is now
    basically the site of the new Garden of Eden. Hellboy's blood has caused a new world tree to grow, and the whole place gives off a kind of fairyland vibe. I think it's meant to act as the final refuge from the Ogdru Jahad, preserving everything that can be preserved of the old world before its purged in flame, so that a new world can be born.

Abe was there briefly but was sent back into the world to fulfill his destiny, which I think might be to lead all the survivors to the new garden, and from there into the new world. I guess we'll find out soon.

kagg_banner.png
    manwiththemachinegun
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The PIT, level 26Registered User regular
    Well, that happened. Kind of, uh... huh.
    I like Johann tapping the power of the universe to butcher the Ogdru Jahad.

Everything else, not so much.

What of the new world, born from the new Garden of Eden? What of the new race of man that was to inherit it? The world just putters back to pretty much what it was before as the dormant Ogdru Hem are slaughtered one by one? Roads and cities go back up? Liz, the incarnation of the vril, just an average joe? Happy ending is great and all, the BPRD persisting is neat, could be a few neat stories there, but... after all the apocalypse promise, it being aborted so suddenly sort've leaves me cold.

The one comment of the spirit of the Sledgehammer armor to Johann about 'what's coming', that saving the Earth now only delays the inevitable. A seed of a future story? Maybe. There's stuff that could be addressed. The last demon kicking around Earth. Hyperborea. What's going to happen with Abe. And for a new big bad with the Ogdru Jahad out of the way, there's always the source of the Ogdru Jahad's power, Ereshigal, 'who is Queen and Lord over the Great Darkness between Worlds.'

And is Hellboy really gone? Like, for really real? In a universe with afterlives, what does that mean? We never did find out if there really is a heaven, after all...

kagg_banner.png
  • Bobby DerieBobby Derie Registered User regular
    Ghost dammit.
    It's the end of the world, is it too damn much to ask for something big and ugly to step on Devon? He has to be the most unpleasant BPRD character ever. Also, I guess we still have sword-dude hanging around...somewhere. Haven't seen him in a bit.

The Unpublishable - Original fiction blog, updates Fridays
    Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
    That's true.
    There's actually still a lot of people that survived who I thought wouldn't. Those mad scientists who worked for Rasputin and then the Black Flame - that creepy masked guy, that head he was in love with, pretty sure Igor-guy lived. Sword-guy, who is awesome.

There's enough good and bad folk out there that it can still be business as usual for the BPRD. Which I think is what I find so off-putting, because I really was not expecting that. The dragons fall, the titans rise, and... its business as usual. Of all the things I didn't see coming, that was one of them.

The Hellboy in Hell side of things was really the opposite. There were lots of story-hooks there - what Edward Gray was going to get up to in Hellboy's place, what Hellboy was going to do with himself in Hell. The titan Pluto being hinted at as a possible major villain. In the end Hellboy said 'nope,' and things ended.

I am always a sucker for a narrative that keeps on going, though...

kagg_banner.png
    Yeah, if there's one guarantee, it's that things aren't over yet.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
  • Linespider5Linespider5 A howling bucket of tar. Registered User regular
    Y'know...I wonder a little. I don't know if this is crazy or what, but.

Jack Kirby's 4th World. His whole New Gods deal, and all that could have been.

Obviously, Kirby's talent, vision, and skill are undeniable. He is...Atlas, almost, for how influential and world-shaping he is. And the 4th World being arguably his most undiluted, self-edited work points to it be the quintessence of Kirby. A quintessence unfinished.

Mignola is certainly a student of Kirby, but Mignola has carved out a little empire of influence, and has cleared the way for himself. And so, Hellboy, et al, get to be carried out to the end. Or, at least, an end as Mignola sees fit to decide. Not exactly the same glory that could be found in an incomplete tapestry, is it?

They also have the Theosophical link...but I think, to hark back to the Empowered thread - "Does Spider-Man end?" Mignola isn't done with his work yet - might never be.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
    There's a lot of money in that red right hand, but I seriously wonder how 'done' Mignola is unless he unveils a new concept that is cheerfully independent of all things Hellboy.

Can't say he hasn't tried a few things. Baltimore & Joe Golem come to mind.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
    I took a look at Rise of the Black Flame so far, and I'm now more convinced than ever that the Mignolaverse is ramping up from the Ogrdu Jahad to Ereshkigal as the main evil, with the OJ, Black Flame, and possibly Hecate and similar as different manifestations of this evil force, the counter to vril. So there's stories built around that to look forwards to.

kagg_banner.png
    Can't say he hasn't tried a few things. Baltimore & Joe Golem come to mind.

I'd widely assumed that Baltimore was inexorably destined to be part of the Mignolaverse if it wasn't already. I guess I'm of a weird mind on this-Mignola has certain topics and affectations that are undeniably his own, and he cast a mighty huge net tackling all the things that could work within the framework of Hellboy. He's certainly much less guilty of repeating himself than other comics creators often are...but when I say something 'new' I mean something utterly unlike Hellboy's knotted tapestry of occult history, cosmic underworlds, and unfinished business from WW2.

And yes, this is me at the banquet hall, scorning the feast, I know. Mignola can do whatever the hell he wants to. But unless he goes somewhere we haven't seen him go before, I'm gonna guess he's not quite left Hellboy behind for good yet.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Just read The Devil's Wings.

Hurrah BPRD can still be fun! Renewed enthusiasm to catch up.

TingleSigBar.gif
  • sullijosullijo mid-level minion subterranean bunkerRegistered User regular
    Interview with Hellboy editor Scott Allie about 2017: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/interviews/mignolaversity2017_01/

Confirms that the next BPRD story cycle will debut this year.

sig_nextwave.jpg
    sullijo wrote: »
    Interview with Hellboy editor Scott Allie about 2017: http://www.multiversitycomics.com/interviews/mignolaversity2017_01/

Confirms that the next BPRD story cycle will debut this year.

Nice, many new stories to look forwards to.

kagg_banner.png
    sullijo wrote: »

I know there's something of a furror over new Hellboy movies without Guillermo Del Toro or Ron Perlman involved, but I really think people need to take a step back. There's nothing specifically wrong about going in a new direction, and, if we're honest, the GDT Hellboy movies were not that faithful to the source material and also are not among Del Toro's stronger works, either.

Personally, if this thing actually gets off the ground and we get a trailer, I'm more than halfway expecting people will grudgingly admit it ends up looking okay.

Del Toro said flat out Hellboy 3 was never going to happen, for whatever reason. I know a lot of people involved with the first 2 tried for a long time and it just never came together. So I'm fine with this.

I really enjoyed the originals, whatever their faults, I'm happy for Hellboy to get more screentime in whatever form. I think the Hellboy films were before the superhero genre really exploded, so maybe a Hellboy film franchise would fare better nowadays.

'sides, I'd rather Del Toro focus on Pac Rim.

kagg_banner.png
    Hellboy! Into the Silent Sea.

It's a thing you can get, if you want more Hellboy, and are also into that kind of Eddie Campbell-style line work as seen in the early volumes of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. If you wanted a Hellboy story that looks like that, here it is.

As Hellboy has already completed his arc as we may ever know it, the stakes are not terribly high here, and story-wise it is quite similar in terms of the supernatural elements at play. Stuff happens, Hellboy carries on to do go and do all the stuff he did after he got off The Island.

Truthfully though, the art is a little off-the more you look at it, the more you can see little mistakes, or just puzzling choices. Mouths on faces often really look like they were done in later, like the head was a dry erase board and they didn't bother to make the mouth actually match the look of the face. Shadows in some areas don't make sense, like stairs in the hold of the ship that light passes through, don't line up. Although Dave Stewart is an excellent colorist, the black and white previews for this story looked a lot stronger in stark contrast, and I think it might have been better if they'd kept it that way versus the mostly muted tones in they've got going on here.

Lastly, there isn't an epilogue of any kind, backmatter, or artist's sketches, so the whole thing ends up feeling on the lean side too, mostly in the 'the should've been more to this' kind of way.

There have been other standalone Hellboy sidestories better than this, like Corben's Makoma, or even the Midnight Circus thing from a few years ago. Silent Sea ranks quite a bit lower than the Midnight Circus in terms of storytelling, artwork, and overall any meaningful plot. Is cool as the potential of Hellboy on a weird ship and sea monsters, this is another one of those where things happen, and then Hellboy wakes up. Probably overpriced.

Bobby DerieGolden Yak
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I just picked up the TPBs of Hellboy in Hell, along with Hellboy in Mexico. Both are really good I Think!

Thank you for reviewing the Silent Sea, though. I was flipping through amazon's listings and I wasn't sure which TPBs are worth picking up and what are not.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    The Visitor And Why He Stayed finished - this was a kind of weird spin-off calling waaaay back to Conqueror Worm. Okay, not great.

Sex & the Cthulhu Mythos
    The Visitor And Why He Stayed finished - this was a kind of weird spin-off calling waaaay back to Conqueror Worm. Okay, not great.

I think it still has one more issue, although this most recent one did feel like it could have been the end of the story. I'm betting we'll see the events of Conquerer Worm from the viewpoint of the Visitor in issue #5.

sig_nextwave.jpg
    Yeah, the last one will no doubt connect it to Conqueror Worm
    which will likely also depict the Visitor's death, given that he's a ghost for that story. Given how things have gone so far, its safe to assume that the Visitor will now have no distractions from his mission to fight Ogdru Hem manifestations, he will go to the castle, and perish somehow.

I've enjoyed the series, and its links to the greater mythos. They haven't spelt it outright thus far but there are more hints that the Visitor's race is the civilization of Hyperberum, the descendants of the first race of man that left Earth after the fall of Hyperborea and the rise of the second race of man, modern humanity's ancestors. His more science-minded approach to the Ogdru-Hem and the other supernatural elements of the mythos were fun to read as well.

kagg_banner.png
124»