As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sega-Atlus

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited September 2013 in Games and Technology
Weird that there is no topic on this.

So Sega bought Atlus.

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20130918_index_e_final.pdf
Notice is hereby given that SEGA DREAM CORPORATION, which was newly established as a wholly owned subsidiary by SEGA CORPORATION (“SEGA”), a subsidiary of SEGA SAMMY HOLDINGS INC. (the “Company”), has concluded a business transfer agreement with Index Corporation (“Index”) for the purpose of revitalization of the business. Under the agreement, SEGA will take over the operations conducted by Index, the bankrupt company that applied to the Tokyo District Court for the commencement of civil rehabilitation proceedings effective from June 27, 2013

2 big take aways from this - Sega has a new Subsidary called Sega Dream Corporation, and Sega wholey owns Index now, which obviously includes Atlus.

Personal, Dark Souls, SMT, Princess Crown and Dragon's Crown, all belong to

25284.jpg

Thoughts? Opinions?

TheSonicRetard on

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    There's no thread because it's already being discussed in the industry thread.

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Thoughts? Opinions?
    Start learning Japanese.

-SPI- on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

This deserves its own topic.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Thoughts? Opinions?

What will this mean for localization?

ATLUS games have always been pretty fringe, so what're the odds of their going the way of Yakuza?

Thoughts? Opinions?

What will this mean for localization?

ATLUS games have always been pretty fringe, so what're the odds of their going the way of Yakuza?

I'm not sure. How well does Persona sell compared to Yakuza in the West? And relative to their budgets?

I mean, Sega is bringing that Miku game west, and I would expect that has a smaller audience than either.

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I would expect it has a much smaller script than either also.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    The odds of getting cool Atlus games on the PC just went up, lads.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Dark Souls? That's From.

Demon's Souls I'm not sure.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
    Dark Souls? That's From.

Demon's Souls I'm not sure.

Oh that's right, Atlus didn't publish Dark Souls like they did Demon's Souls.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Worst case scenario #1: Atlus JPN gets nuked and there's no more SMT/Persona stuff. Though maybe the devs reform somewhere else and make a spiritual successor, so there's a faint hope.

Worst case scenario #2: Atlus USA also get nuked and we lose one of the best localization houses there is. This would be a fucking tragedy. But didn't Atlus USA say they weren't affected at all during the previous news? There's hope this won't affect them as well.

Pie in the sky best case scenario: This deal somehow grants Atlus USA access to Sega's back stock. Meaning they can release games that Sega alone doesn't want to touch. Do not get your hopes up at all over this... but there's the most outside of outside chances that Valkyria Chronicles 3 could see an English release.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Quick. Someone research whether or not Persona is profitable.

Lives are at stake.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Magic Pink wrote: »

This deserves its own topic.

Nope.

This discussion has been closed.