As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sleepy Hollow] - Season 4 starts this Friday! Watch it!

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I haven't watched the like last four episodes. I don't even dislike the show, I've just lost all interest, which is probably worse.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I haven't watched the like last four episodes. I don't even dislike the show, I've just lost all interest, which is probably worse.

This is what happened to me. Tuned back in and i'm not sure if I can pick it back up. Makes me sad :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    The angel thing was quite a bit of a wtf, but thankfully that guy got benched again really quickly. Besides that, I like what they've done with Irving this half-season, and the fact that (latest episode spoilers)
    Katrina finally turns full-blown villain

gives things a very appreciated twist. And not to forget the stinger of this last episode.

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    We need a spinoff of the Adventures of Ben Franklin.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I am really not sure how I feel about what happened with Katrina.
    It really really feels like they had no idea what to do with her, went "Villain?" and just ramrodded it through because they couldn't figure out where she fit otherwise

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    If that finale is the price that had to be paid so that we get more Alternate American supernatural and occult history/monster of the week mashups next season, I think I can live with it.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    It really really feels like they had no idea what to do with her, went "Villain?" and just ramrodded it through because they couldn't figure out where she fit otherwise

Yeah.
    Her story line into villain hood went too quickly without the proper set up. I do like her going full Dark Willow at the end.

• Options
    Lanz wrote: »

Yeah.
    Her story line into villain hood went too quickly without the proper set up. I do like her going full Dark Willow at the end.

It was literally
    "MY CHILD IS DEEEEEEEEEEAD! DAMN YOU, HUSBAND AND LEFTENANT THIS IS YOUR FAULT!"

Katrina,

Your child is a couple-hundreds years old old man who gave himself over to a demon for the majority of his life, wrote up nigh-literal deals with devils and tricked people into signing them, killed fuck knows how many people in his lifetime, plotted to bring about the demon, Moloch-ruled apocalypse and has now dragged you into a crazed plan to awaken magic in witch descendents via a method that you know damn well is going to kill people as an unintended consequence of their awakening. A sweet and innocent cherub he is not

Or, hell, you know what is probably a more sane option when you have time travel? Going back in time and making sure you have precautions in place to keep your coven from locking you away in Purgatory and separating you from your son to begin with, considering they're the reason that your son was separated from you.

Like... criminy fuck. It's like not only did they toss her the stupid ball, they put it in a goddamn cannon and fired it so hard it carried her halfway across a field once she caught it.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Yup I can get being sad at how your son turned out when you could not be there for him but BREAKING TIME is not the correct choice.

• Options
    kaid wrote: »
    Yup I can get being sad at how your son turned out when you could not be there for him but BREAKING TIME is not the correct choice.

Breaking time I can get

Breaking time to
    Murder your husband and assist the forces of the damned
    Is where I start questioning the logic of your actions.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It makes me sad that this show will get renewed and backstrom will get canceled.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    It makes me sad that this show will get renewed and backstrom will get canceled.

Are you sure that's worded correctly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    More maybe good Sleepy Hollow is better than no Sleepy Hollow. I'll take it.

• Options
    Thorn413Thorn413 Registered User regular
    A new showrunner makes me a bit hopeful, as its most significant problem in the second season was not really knowing where to go with anything.

As long as Ichabod and Jenny have a good rapport, as long as Ichabod keeps being annoyed by the modern world in a very charming way, and as long as the show remembers how ridiculous it should be, I'll be able to move past a floundering 2nd season.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    This is back tonight. Does anyone care?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    This is back tonight. Does anyone care?

I really want to. Ichabod and Jenny make a really fun pair, the elaborate American mythology is often goofy in the best way possible, and a lot of the first season was just fun.

There is the core of a really enjoyable show here that they really lost sight of in season two. I hope that they have figured out how to deliver on the good parts and cut down on the monster-of-the-week/over-serious stuff/tertiary characters who are dull as dirt and get in the way of Ichabod and Jenny banter.

I don't have very high hopes, but I'll give the first episode a shot.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    I'll definitely check it out for at least a few episodes to see if they've righted the ship and got back to what made S1 fun. I dunno, though.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    A promising premiere, felt like the show was back in its prime with a soft reboot. I liked the progress with the cast, like Abby becoming an FBI agent and her sister becoming a paralegal - and the normal one in the group.
    I also like how the season big bad looks to be Pandora. An intriguing female villain, rather than railroading Crane's wife because reasons.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    So, the show feels like it's just floating. Not sinking, but not getting closer to shore either.

Pandora better start actually wrecking shit to get things moving. As in, permanent damage that isn't wrapped up nicely in an hour. Watching a tree grow as the main hook isn't exactly compelling, even if it is the Tree of Doom.

Also, I hope we get to see Ichabod chain himself to that archive building and face down a bulldozer or wrecking ball.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    The show seems to have figured some of their stuff out. In a perfect world the show would have more Ichabod and Jenny paling around the town and time with some vaguely evil woman watching a plant grow, but there have been a few memorable moments and lines from each episode so far.

I really hope that Betsy Ross doesn't become a huge roll, the actress seemed really flat... But she is in the opening credits so...

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Maybe we have it wrong, but Pandora looks like Betsy Ross to us.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    They do look a bit similar, particularly in the opening crawl when they appear one after the other.

I just looked on IMDB to confirm and was shocked to be reminded of how many secondary characters this show has either either forgotten about or abandoned across the first two seasons.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Reynolds wrote: »

It's funny that 8 months later with a new season and this is kind of how I feel. I see a new episode is ready to watch and go "eh.... I guess".

spoilers for end of last season
    I kind of expected a whole season of Mills in the past, Not shenanagins like "im my own grandma" or anything, but still. Then she could get back, and yell at crane everytime he drolled on "the good ol days" and she could say things like "yeah X was totally not like that at all".

Current season:
    I liked orlando jones and some sort of demon ninja. It was awesome and dumb in all the right ways and they should have kept him around.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I'm curious to see how this turns out, mostly because according to the legend after all the evil and nastyness escapes the box there is something very important left.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    So, I know it's a bit late to mention it, but there was a new episode on tonight.

• Options
    Was it good though. This season has been rough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Was it good though. This season has been rough.

I enjoyed the episode, but I'm easily entertained, so my opinion probably shouldn't count for much.
    Still has Pandora and The Hidden One as the villains, though he's stripped of most of his powers, so they're mostly on the backburner for now.
    A new character gets brought into the supernatural reality of the setting, and it's Crane's mistake that summons the demon of the week this time, rather than it being done by Pandora.
    Crane's Revolutionary War Flashbacks have Nathan "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country" Hale, which was pretty entertaining (though, as you can imagine, didn't have a happy ending).

I'd say it's one of the better episodes, and it ends with an interesting setup for the rest of the season...
    Pandora and The Hidden One recovered a large chunk of the box, and are using it to draw monsters and demons from all over the world to Sleepy Hollow, somehow that's supposed to help him recover his strength.
    Mills' sister has recovered an ancient magic map that tips them off to the monster migration.
    Mills is still trapped in hell or wherever Pandora's tree left her at the end of last season, so they still need to rescue her (since I doubt their going to just let her wait in hell for forever).

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    So, anyway...the season (probably series) finale aired. I haven't watched it (I'm still a few episodes behind), but I already know what happened (the fact I didn't bother to avoid spoilers probably says something about how I feel about the show these days):
    Abbie died. It's been confirmed she won't be back if the show continues - Nicole Beharie wanted out.

So considering what happened, is anyone interested in this continuing? I was mixed on whether I cared if it came back before - it's gotten marginally better than S2, but it's basically a show that I just let pile up on my DVR and go to when I have free time, rather than a show I needed to see immediately like it was in S1. But the events of the season finale basically take away the only thing that made me care about it continuing.

It's really disappointing how quickly this show burned out after S1.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    So, anyway...the season (probably series) finale aired. I haven't watched it (I'm still a few episodes behind), but I already know what happened (the fact I didn't bother to avoid spoilers probably says something about how I feel about the show these days):
    Abbie died. It's been confirmed she won't be back if the show continues - Nicole Beharie wanted out.

So considering what happened, is anyone interested in this continuing? I was mixed on whether I cared if it came back before - it's gotten marginally better than S2, but it's basically a show that I just let pile up on my DVR and go to when I have free time, rather than a show I needed to see immediately like it was in S1. But the events of the season finale basically take away the only thing that made me care about it continuing.

:(

• Options
    I think the show lost a lot of steam as Crane started assimilating to the modern world and lost the whole "fish out of water" aspect to his character.

But it's a damned if you do/damned if you don't kind of thing for the writers. Either you keep him as the colonial era person continually amazed by the modern world and lose points for never letting a character grow or develop, or you have him grow and join the modern world and lose a lot of what made the show unique.

• Options
    edited April 2016

The show has moved so far from the original idea. Everything worked when it was contained around the mythos of the Headless Horseman. The more they kept grasping at straws to bring in new developments the weaker the show became. I was an early advocate of the show but I don't think i've watched any of this season and very little of the last. It just seems incoherent at this point which is a shame because the cast was great.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

The show has moved so far from the original idea. Everything worked when it was contained around the mythos of the Headless Horseman. The more they kept grasping at straws to bring in new developments the weaker the show became. I was an early advocate of the show but I don't think i've watched any of this season and very little of the last. It just seems incoherent at this point which is a shame because the cast was great.

It was natural for the show to do that, unless you want the Headless Horseman as the protagonist rather than Ichabod. The show went off the rails with season 2, and while I enjoyed season 3 I just stopped watching it one day and forgot it was still on the air. I blame that on season 2, season 3 had a stronger feel but by then I had gotten burnt by 2 already. The show isn't that far off it's premise, it's an urban fantasy with Ichabod and Abbie investigating the supernatural and saving the world. They've always fought other things besides the Horseman and Moloch. Now they're doing it regularly, and I was intrigued by Pandora.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    My biggest problem with this season
    Crane's colonial timeline is confusing. Supposedly Katrina helped recruit him, then he was a Patriot. Then after that at some point Abraham became the Horseman, then after that at some point Crane dies. Obviously there's lots of empty time to fill, but the way they wrote the past stuff this season, it feels like Katrina never existed? It was annoying. Especially in the finale
    when Crane summons the Horseman and doesn't at all acknowledge his original identity, even though he identified far more with that identity than as the Horseman.

We'll see what happens when/if we get the next season, but I don't think I'd be too heartbroken if they don't renew it

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options

It was natural for the show to do that, unless you want the Headless Horseman as the protagonist rather than Ichabod. The show went off the rails with season 2, and while I enjoyed season 3 I just stopped watching it one day and forgot it was still on the air. I blame that on season 2, season 3 had a stronger feel but by then I had gotten burnt by 2 already. The show isn't that far off it's premise, it's an urban fantasy with Ichabod and Abbie investigating the supernatural and saving the world. They've always fought other things besides the Horseman and Moloch. Now they're doing it regularly, and I was intrigued by Pandora.

It is natural but it would be nice to have some threads tying it all together so it feels like something unraveling. I don't feel like the pandora plot has anything to do with the big mythology that was built up in the first two seasons.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It is natural but it would be nice to have some threads tying it all together so it feels like something unraveling. I don't feel like the pandora plot has anything to do with the big mythology that was built up in the first two seasons.

It didn't have to for a kitchen sink universe, not everything has to be deeply connected. Supernatural only started doing that way down the line and never established how the pagan gods or random creatures fit into the setting.

• Options

It didn't have to for a kitchen sink universe, not everything has to be deeply connected. Supernatural only started doing that way down the line and never established how the pagan gods or random creatures fit into the setting.

Well. On that note I never got into supernatural.

I am not familiar with the phrase kitchen sink universe though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Well. On that note I never got into supernatural.

I am not familiar with the phrase kitchen sink universe though.

It's a catch-all term for IP's where all mythologies are true. Vampires, kitsunes, deities, dragons, wizards etc you name it - it's there.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    It didn't bother me that they expanded, it bothered me that the Horseman got, like, boxed in ep 1 of the season and it kinda became a totally different show. They abandoned a lot of the specifics of the first two seasons

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Tox wrote: »
    It didn't bother me that they expanded, it bothered me that the Horseman got, like, boxed in ep 1 of the season and it kinda became a totally different show. They abandoned a lot of the specifics of the first two seasons

That's fair. I'd have liked to see the Horseman square off with Pandora.

Harry Dresden on