As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DOOM: Ripping and Tearing After All These Years

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    Just ordered the collectors edition from Amazon, should be here Saturday. Haven't played an FPS in a while but after seeing everyone talk about how good it is I am excited.

Please post impressions whenever you stop kicking demon ass.

While.

You should never stop kicking demon ass.

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    I might replay this game on Nightmare.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Modding the original DOOM to a particular platform is well known at this point to be more of a when rather than an if. That being said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRMpNA86e8Q

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    HAHAHAHA!
    That's hilarious!

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Seems legit.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

Ha, it truely was a different world.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I just realized I never updated this but I earned the platinum On DOOM and then finished the arcade trophies as well. This is a fantastic game well worth the 60 I spent on the collectors edition. It moved DOOM from only on my radar as a game enthusiast to a day one purchase for the next game.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    You really can play DOOM on anything

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    So Bethesda just announced a 6.66 patch for the game's multipayer, which makes all the DLC free. (Glad I spent money on that...) Also they're radically changing the unlock system, replacing hacks with presistant runes and resetting player progression. (boo).

Kinda wish they had announced this sooner. I would have made an effort to hit the level cap. (I was like 70 levels away from the cap). Especially since there's a reward for having been max level. That kind of shit pisses me off to the point where even though I liked the MP, I'm probably not going to bother with this.

They're also offering a free weekend and dropping the price to $15.
    https://bethesda.net/en/article/3lw31bjKOsagegSyIYWIEg/the-ultimate-doom-update-6-66-all-dlc-unlocked-free-weekends

And despite all the content theoretically being in the game, this patch is a whopping 34.7 gigs.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Honestly, all the attention they keep giving the multiplayer just increasingly pisses me off that the amazing singleplayer gets nothing. The multiplayer is not going to fucking happen, let it go already.

And getting an absurd 37 GB "patch" as well does not make me happy, the game is already outrageously huge for something I only play for singleplayer.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The patch allegedly makes the game slightly smaller, which is funny and sad.

Did they say anything about people who spent money on the Season Pass? Are they getting anything in return? If not, it's pretty fucked of Bethesda to do that.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    The patch allegedly makes the game slightly smaller, which is funny and sad.

Did they say anything about people who spent money on the Season Pass? Are they getting anything in return? If not, it's pretty fucked of Bethesda to do that.

You get a badge called "DLC Brute"

Woo.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    nnnngh this reminds me about how they hideously fucked up in regards to the DOOM patching system because of how they bake their map files.

Why the fuuuuuuuuck do they have all the content for each map directly in the map files themselves instead of a neutral depository that the maps can pull from?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeesh, talk about shit so stupid it's like they're actively trying to sabotage the game. It's like Bethesda is pissed off that everybody loved the hell out of the singleplayer and hardly anybody played the multiplayer, so now they trying to piss off the MP people out of spite for the whole game.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I actually got into the multiplayer for a while. It's fun if you give it an even shot, and it's at least reminiscent of the singleplayer, which helps. I thought it was weird that I had to play the OST on Spotify or something while I played because the multiplayer was so absent of that outstanding music, though. Lots of weird choices for the multiplayer, really. Still, fun. I even had the multiplayer half of the game set up as a separate shortcut so I could get to it easier.

I'd be really interested in reinstalling based on this news, if it weren't for the fact that I'd be loading my computer with, what, like 70 gigs of game again? That's a hard pill to swallow for something I may just play for a couple of afternoons to see the DLC stuff.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Can you uninstall the multiplayer DLC on steam? I'm never going to play it, and I'd rather have some extra hard drive space.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Any word on when this update coming to consoles? I would reinstall just to mop up some of those easy trophies. I already have the platinum but it would be nice to get my overall completion rate for it a bit higher. Plus I did actually enjoy the multiplayer a bit.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Should be out already.

Played a bit of this earlier and the game froze before I could get to level 4 and check out the rune system. I'll take that as a sign.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Can you uninstall the multiplayer DLC on steam? I'm never going to play it, and I'd rather have some extra hard drive space.

The game doesn't even list that it has DLC anymore, so apparently not!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Any word on when this update coming to consoles? I would reinstall just to mop up some of those easy trophies. I already have the platinum but it would be nice to get my overall completion rate for it a bit higher. Plus I did actually enjoy the multiplayer a bit.

The update is supposed to be live on everything at this point.

• Options
    CrazodCrazod Registered User regular
    Last I read you had to have all the multiplayer stuff installed even if you just wanted to play the single player. So yeah sod that.

Hopefully they fix that in the sequel, and just work on single player stuff cos it was wonderful.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Oh man... They release a patch that gives a ton of free shit to everyone and there's still bitching. Sometimes this hobby really breaks me.

• Options
    Oh man... They release a patch that gives a ton of free shit to everyone and there's still bitching. Sometimes this hobby really breaks me.

Free shit I already paid for. Excuse me for not jumping out of my seat. :razz:

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yeah. it's not people bitching that they got things for free. It's people bitching that they spent 40 dollars on this thing that is now free, and turns out they extremely wasted their money.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Do you do the same thing when you buy a product and months later it drops price? It's what happens in this world. Things go on sale. You could have chose to not purchase it and wait until it dropped in price but you didn't and you experienced that content.

• Options

And maybe you'll have a few more people to play online because of it.

• Options
    CrazodCrazod Registered User regular
    Just cos it's free doesn't mean it's worth it.

They're the ones who fucked up focusing on MP so much. :razz:

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I'm mainly bitching about it because I tried to play a level of it last night, and got told it had to download a 34 gig update before I could start.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Crazod wrote: »
    Just cos it's free doesn't mean it's worth it.

They're the ones who fucked up focusing on MP so much. :razz:

But it's free. You can choose to never open the MP and nothing in your life has changed. :)
    klemming wrote: »
    I'm mainly bitching about it because I tried to play a level of it last night, and got told it had to download a 34 gig update before I could start.

What console requires you to download a patch before starting? Usually you can just launch the game in it's existing state and play immediately, just not access online features (unless you're talking about MP).

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Steam auto updates and does not allow you to opt out.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    After this update Doom doesn't recognize mouse 4 or 5. It still lists my old bindings, but they don't work and I can't make new ones. This happen to anyone else?

• Options

They wiped my level and the game froze after 3 matches.

• Options

Alright. Does the game freezing have anything to do with the patch or your machine? It could just be chance. And I have no idea what wiping levels even means. Did you unlock stuff while you played?

If no one was playing online before this patch was your $40 still wasted then?

• Options
    edited July 2017

Alright. Does the game freezing have anything to do with the patch or your machine? It could just be chance.

This is a new machine, so who knows. Never really had it freeze like that in 100+ hours on my old machine though.
    And I have no idea what wiping levels even means. Did you unlock stuff while you played?[

Did you read the linked article? They introduced a new progression system, and decided that meant everyone had to be reset to level 1 for some reason.

I was essentially level 530 or so out of a possible 600, before the patch. Now I'm level 3. (I would have been level 4, but the game froze.)
    If no one was playing online before this patch was your $40 still wasted then?

People were playing as of a couple weeks ago when I fired it up for some achievements during the Steam Sale.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I see that the introduced a new progression system, but have no idea what the old one was. If you're level 530 out of 600 what did that do? Were there unlocks or something that you've now lost?

I'm sure there were people playing, because people are still playing Halo 1 and other games online. But companies don't just release something like this free of charge without something dire being the reason. I'm assuming their MP was essentially dead to them and this is a way for them to spur up some sort of excitement and get people playing again.

• Options
    Yes, the multi has unlocks.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote: »
    Yes, the multi has unlocks.

Word. Then that blows.