As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I made a comic cover!

core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Artist's Corner
So I have to make a comic book cover for a project in art, and here's what I whipped up in Illustrator.
2usg8ox.gif
I know the skyline could definitly be done better, but I have no clue how to do that, having no tablet (or even a mouse for that matter. This was all done on a laptop touchpad). Also, not sure if it looks better with or without the filmgrain effect, but I think it's not completely horrible.

*For reference, the original character without filmgrain. Untitled-1.jpg

So, suggestions and feedback, all that jazz is appreciated.

6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
core tactic on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd say absolutely lose the film grain. The text needs to be reworked - I'd suggest using a different font, one that has the same "feeling/mood" as the rest of the cover - that doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be "rough" and "grungey" like the art, but it has to go with the art. Right now, it doesn't seem like the font is working in that manner.

Secondly, regarding the font, you need some organization if you're going to split it up on different lines like that. See where one word begins? Where one ends? Typically, it's a good idea to line up the edge of one word with the edge of another letter or word on another line. This gives the whole of the text a more order'd and organized look. You also have to think about spacing, both between the words and *around* the words. The top of the star-figure (as an example) is way too close to the text.

Honestly, if I were you, I think a really simple sans-serif font could work fine on a single line up top. You wouldn't have to worry about all the word-spacing and placement as much (if at all), and considering how busy the design for the cover is, I think it would be a bit too much if you tried using a really "busy" font and text design as well. The original character shot, for instance? The text there would be way too "busy", and again, I really don't think that font would go well at all with the rest of the cover. Choosing a font for something can be a very tricky business, and a job in itself, nevermind the deal with placing the font afterwards. I think too many people tend to overlook this when they're putting text down. You really need to focus on it, just as much (perhaps even more) than the graphics themselves. Bad text design or a bad font choice can really bring down the whole cover design as a whole, if you're not careful.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, you're right. The font doesn't look right. How about this one? I think it really looks better, but I can still change it if not.
    4gs7kp4.gif

core tactic on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    grbwrtpb.jpg

??

Do you happen to read Grendel?

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Are you dead-set on making the colors of the font correlate with the color-words? I mean, I suppose it can be done, but you're going to need to lighten up the outline on the black, for one.

Also, I recognize all these fonts (because I am a total font-nerd. :P)...are you downloading any radically-different fonts? Fonts that you think may suit the cover? Or the subject matter? A scratchy, rough font would make me think that the comic is about something dramatic and violent. A bold, blocky sans-serif font may make me think that the comic is serious...a soft, fading in-and-out of focus font may make me think the comic is a bit surreal. These are all things you have to take into account, too...if you saw the title of the comic with the font *alone*, what sort of imagery would pop into your head? What kind of "emotion" is the font expressing, if you can notice one? Some are more blatant than others.

You are still having issues with space. You have part of the title overlapping one part of the art, yet there's huuuge space either side of the title. It makes it seem very "compressed" and thrown-on. Again, put some [a lot] of thought into placement, and where the design seems "busy/compressed" and where it seems "open/empty".

Personally, I think a font with a consistent baseline would look best (the line the font rests on). The last two fonts have had rough/uneven baselines and I think it makes them look a bit messy, again, adding too much to the already "messiness/roughness" of the graphic style. The top font, give the current three examples, I think, may even look best (though still not one I would choose) simply for the fact that the bottom "line" of the font is even and orderly...then again, this may not follow the "feeling" of the comic, so I dunno. I am not a typography-expert, but I'm just giving ya my personal opinions. Obviously it's best to get a few, if you can. :)

NightDragon on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, I recognise that second font, too. Forget what it's called... reminds me of Arcanum (or something whatever it's called).

And I agree with ND, have you tried a simple (and kinda blocky) sans-serif font just lined up in one row?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Do you guys play the font game, too? Where you try and identify every font on any printed subject?

OP, I looked at your cover and the first thing I thought was..."what?". Look at the cover Bread of Wonder posted, you can clearly identify what Black, White and Red is reffering to. I think this would be more successfull if the text and art gave some reference as to what this comic is about.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Actually, I've never heard of that comic, nor seen it before.

God damnit.

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    So now I need a new title too. I can give you guys a plot synopsis, if it'd help.

core tactic on
  • Options
    CatnipCatCatnipCat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't quite understand what is going on in this cover. Is that a giant monster thing spewing a tide of blood onto a metropolitan area?

CatnipCat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Okay, how about this one? I changed it around so it's a little clearer that's it's a scarf and not a tide of blood.
    Also, changed the title, but it's probably already taken by another comic I've never heard of too.
    4gikcua.gif

core tactic on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    better, but I think that font is ruining it.

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    EvilKidSteveyEvilKidStevey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I agree, I too am a font freak. In the original cover of the real comic a Broadway type font is used, its goes well with the old NY Metropolitan feel, but your covers are very different. The light-weight of the fonts youre choosing sticks out as being cheap, or maybe its those ugly serifs.

(And now officially not a lurker, huzzah!)

EvilKidStevey on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Again, mine has nothing to do with the other one. I didn't even know that one existed. So, how's this one? If you guys still don't think the font fits, than I'm open to suggestions, because I can't pick these out myself, it would seem.
    449w3fa.gif

core tactic on
  • Options
    erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Everything in the picture is edgy, splotchy, sketchy, and messy. How about either hand-writing the text or finding a messy, sloppy font?

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Everything in the picture is edgy, splotchy, sketchy, and messy. How about either hand-writing the text or finding a messy, sloppy font?

Yeah, I was thinking that, but all the "sloppy" fonts I have look too cartoonish I guess? So I appreciate suggestions on what to use, or where to find some new ones.

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm not a good one to suggest anything in particular at the moment. I have a ton of fonts on my photoshop computer, but I'm in a training class and can't get to that. Anyone else know any "sloppy" fonts?

EDIT: http://simplythebest.net/fonts/messy_fonts.html

Check out 1942, Depraved, and Inch 75. Those stuck me a possibles. There are probably more messy fonts on pages 2, 3, etc.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

I agree. You need to find a font that matches the tone and look of the rest of the piece, especially the border around the title.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Okay, hows about THIS one? I think it looks alot better.
    2wmj43d.gif

core tactic on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, that works much better. The name itself could maybe use some work, but you're on the right track now. The other thing you could do it just write the title yourself in marker or something.

NibCrom on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Well then, I guess a new title is my next priority. I want it to be relevant to the story though. Basically, it takes place in a place (lol, bad grammar) where the only colors are black, white and red. Every normal person is either white or black (which flips when they pass in front of an object that's the same color so you can still see them), and only have one fixed set of opinions. Then there are individuals (like the character on the cover) who can't change whether they're white or black, and are marked with red as well. However, they also have indivduality, and most of the individuals are treated like monsters (since that's what they look like to the "normal" people.)

Hence my earlier title.

core tactic on
  • Options
    EvilKidSteveyEvilKidStevey Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The title feels jammed up against the top.

EvilKidStevey on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I will repeat: SPACING.

Now that you've got a decent font down, you ABSOLUTELY NEED to place the title correctly. You've got too much overlapping/squished/spaced/etc stuff going on. Turn the image upside down. Look at it in a mirror. You've got way too much empty space on the sides of the title or below the title, and the title is being squished in at least one area. Even it out!!!!!

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Okaaaaayyyy, spaced more.
    4cvjod0.gif

Good thing these are only like 40kb each.

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It might look better, composition wise, but you still can't tell what this is about! It's like you're avoiding making something understandable and covering it up with a random-cool title.

EDIT: I don't think thats the kind of spacing ND was talking about. To me, the text is way too close to the top of the page, also, it's way to close to the top of the box-border... but these are the least of your worries.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I don't know if this is really a valid point, but what bothers me about that font (and really any "messy" "grungy" "dirty" font) is that repeating letters (like the "A" in Shades and the "A" in Gray) are uniform. Obviously, with any other font type this isn't a problem but when it's meant to be messy and looking hand-written, it isn't very natural. If I were to write out that title by hand, repeating letters would certainly not be uniform. I suggest going in there with the eraser tool and pencil tool (or whatever other method you prefer) and changing up the lettering a bit so not every repeating letter looks the same.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I will repeat: SPACING.

Now that you've got a decent font down, you ABSOLUTELY NEED to place the title correctly. You've got too much overlapping/squished/spaced/etc stuff going on. Turn the image upside down. Look at it in a mirror. You've got way too much empty space on the sides of the title or below the title, and the title is being squished in at least one area. Even it out!!!!!

She's correct Core. If you're going to keep the box around the title make sure you move the title around, change the size, make sure it looks clean and not just the generic "middle, top." Play around with location a little bit, maybe try not overlapping the red. With how the cover has that sketchy look to it, the overlapping letters and background makes it look a little cluttered and like ND said, too much awkward space. I also think it might look better w/out the box myself. Just experiment some, do some rough thumbnails of different layouts or just move stuff around. Have some fun with it.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    EDIT: I don't think thats the kind of spacing ND was talking about. To me, the text is way too close to the top of the page, also, it's way to close to the top of the box-border... but these are the least of your worries.

:^:

The latest version is better regarding the "spacing" thing, but it's still got issues. If I can do a paintover sometime today, I will, just to show you what I'm talking about specifically.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Some examples really would be appreciated, as it seems I just don't get what you guys are trying to convey to me, it would seem.

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Anyone know where I can get some new brushes for Illustrator? It would really help here.

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I found some here

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Firstly, what is this comic about?

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    example
    redwhiteandblue.jpg
    for reals though
    forseroius.jpg
    I also meant to suggest maybe not using a rounded type of font maybe use something more angular (not like the type I'm using, I just threw that one in there.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Firstly, what is this comic about?

Okay, here's a synopsis. (Quick one)

It takes place in a universe where a "normal" person is either black or white, which flips whenever they step in front of an object that's the same color (so they're still visible). In the day, the sky is white, the buildings are black, everything against the buildings are white, and so on. However, since each person is only one color (uh, even though black and white aren't colors), they can only see and have one opinion each, and they can't change. Literally, the world is in terms of black and white. However, people begin mutating into "monsters", different things that can't change their color, and are marked with red along with their different features to show they're individuals. (And therefor, bad to the normal people). Some change randomly, resulting in mindless beasts bent on destruction, some change when they've had a life altering revolation, meaning they change, but are still sentient.

The comic follows the life of the character on the cover. He's changed and become aware of himself, therefor being deemed potentially dangerous in having free thought, but not considered so much of a threat to have killed. And to wrap this up, he joins up with the police department to hunt down others who have independence, in return for the right to keep living.

That's why I liked my first title the most, since I thought it fit the story the most. But you're right about it being too unclear, so I'm probably going to start the cover from scratch again anyways.

core tactic on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hmm. Reminds me of the movie Pleasantville.
    That's why I liked my first title the most, since I thought it fit the story the most. But you're right about it being too unclear, so I'm probably going to start the cover from scratch again anyways.

I think that would be a good idea, actually.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    So I'm trying to make up a new cover, and wow he's a hard character to draw in profile.

core tactic on