MMO Communities

GamerGirlieGamerGirlie West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
Currently I'm playing Lotro and SWTOR. I'm noticing that general chat in SWTOR is getting worse by the day, but I don't want to shut it off because I'm on a pvp server and need to know if someone's ganking, LFGs, etc. Also I'm noticing SWTOR forums are going downhill as well. Lotro is getting a bit worse but has always been a relatively nice community. Anyone have any good suggestions for a newer MMO with a good community I can try out? Any feedback is appreciated!

Gamer Girlie Blog
http://www.gamergirlie.com http://www.twitch.tv/gamergirlie

A cute, simple blog with daily twitch streaming made by an avid girl gamer! :)

Posts

  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Assuming it doesn't suck, Wildstar already has a pretty cool community forming around it. I'd recommend keeping an eye on that. MMOs tend to have good communities form in pockets rather then as a whole though, so it might just be the Wildstar Central folks who will end up being better to do stuff with then the average Nexian.

    GW2 is live and the people still playing in the PA guild are great people, so I would recommend looking at that as well, though I can't speak to the wider community in Tyria as it's been a year since I played the game.

    On the whole though, most online communities, game based or otherwise, have large pockets of stupid in them or devolve into having them increasingly over time as a result of the Internet always being an anonymous place where people come to blow off steam and/or act like morons in ways that they cannot be in the real world (this forum largely escapes that because we have mods who actually enforce the rules and keep things civil). It's impossible to find a place online, regardless of the format, that is going to be completely or even mostly good in regards to how people interact generally. There will always be exceptions in given situations and if you look in the right places, and some games are better then others, but on the whole, anonymity is a hell of a drug.

    LOTRO (though I could be wrong as it's been quite a while since I played the game) is going downhill in this regard most likely because it's gone F2P and it's most recent patches and updates haven't been as enthralling for long time fans of the game as previous content like Moria had been, and thus the void of their involvement in the game's active community has largely been filled with one off F2P players who hop in. Some of these (though not necessarily the majority) come in to troll or complain or are just innocuously dumb and the most vocal are a drag on the community, as evidenced by the level of discourse you tend to see most of the time in general chat.

    You could say the same of SWTOR in terms of community and what you'll see in planet general chat or fleet chat, but in reverse on the content end as I feel like there are still pockets of good community sticking around (My current guild on Jedi Covenant, Dominus Nihil, being an example) because they are still pumping out good end game content, periodic events and supporting PvP more and more, along with the soon to be rolled out free flight space fighting stuff. Perhaps you'll have a better chance finding one of these more tight knit communities or guilds in SWTOR that can improve the experience overall then in most other MMOs right now.

    MMOs are probably going to look a lot better then they do now in a decade, but even stuff like Star Citizen and World of Darkness is going to have it's idiots. In a sense, in some games like those, it's actually part of the point, and it's extra enjoyable to find these people and kick their butts in PvP then to just simply ignore them in general.

    488W936.png
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Hey, West Hartford. Grew up in Wethersfield, I did. My Dad, long since retired, taught at Conard for most of his career.

    I agree with Core, if you're looking for a strong sense of community in F2P games, you're probably not going to find it in the official forums.

    GamerGirlie
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    The official forums for these games almost always exist as cesspools because that is their intended function; devs want to have that repository of information so that they can have moderators and community reps dredge the 1 or 2% of useful feedback that is found in there, and ignore the rest of the inevitable complaining.

    It lets complainers have a place to complain and brave souls have a place where their legit complaints can eventually be found and evaluated.

    It is never intended for actual community development, paradoxically. That all happens either retroactively in other games or forums, or on new forums for the game's different guilds, or in the game itself.

    EDIT: I'll add to that the caveat that many MMO devs will also have that information brought to them, and then they ignore it anyway, either because they have something better in mind to fix the issue, or because the thing that's broke is too hard to fix/embarrassing to fix or even acknowledge, and they don't do anything anyways and it's forgotten.

    Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • GamerGirlieGamerGirlie West Hartford, CTRegistered User regular
    Honestly I'd rather not even start a F2P again. I always end up subbing anyway, then spend some extra money every month on the marketplaces. I've played a bunch of MMOs in my past and I know once they hit F2P they start going to hell. I'm dying for EQN and ESO to come out :(

    Gamer Girlie Blog
    http://www.gamergirlie.com http://www.twitch.tv/gamergirlie

    A cute, simple blog with daily twitch streaming made by an avid girl gamer! :)
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Guild Wars 2 is pretty brilliantly designed to encourage team play which in turn translates into non-toxic general chat environment. People actually offer advice when asked rather than sarcasm and scorn.

    reVerse on
    CorehealerRainfallQuid
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2013
    reVerse wrote: »
    Guild Wars 2 is pretty brilliantly designed to encourage team play which in turn translates into non-toxic general chat environment. People actually offer advice when asked rather than sarcasm and scorn.

    Seconding this. You should still stay off the official GW2 forums, as it's pretty much a giant cesspit of complainers, and the game isn't without its flaws, but in general the game is specifically geared to encourage casual team play. Sometimes I just pick a random dude and follow him around the map helping, and it's the kind of game where that's actually encouraged and you're VERY unlikely to hurt someone if you do (dungeons are another matter)

    Also, NICE, the PA guild, is full of really swell folks. We have weekly events ranging from tournament PVP to just casual goofing off in PVE, and people are almost always up for hanging out.

    Finally, if F2P turns you off, GW2 is more a B2P game -- you pay the one time fee for the box, and then if you LIKE, you can spend money on cosmetic or convenience goodies, like cool hats or whatever.

    *e* Also, while it's too soon to say since it isn't out yet, Wildstar really does look like it's shaping up to have a very dynamic and fun community.

    Lucid_Seraph on
    The Escape Goat: If there's anywhere that Occam's Razor fails to apply it's Elder Scrolls lore.
    Delduwath: Yeah, gotta use Mehrunes' Razor.
    CorehealerRainfall
  • RoeRoe Farming Greater Rifts Registered User regular
    Dark age of Camelot has an unique community. The game is realm vs realm (3 sides to choose from) which most are veterans that invite just about everyone to join their guilds and have nightly RVR battles at nights (mainly eastern).

    Also, a lot of people still have some realm pride, which is hard to find in any game.

    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Like others are hinting at: the positive social experiences come from interactions with smaller groups or 1on1 situations. Gw2 is a completely different experience depending on whether youre in our guild, in some random zone with nothing going on, playing in the zerg of the latest content update or just chillin in the main city. The same goes for nearly any other game:
    In LOTRO for example: /glff is completely different from Ettens and impossible to compare to /say in Prancing Pony on an RP server.

    So my advice is to play games you genuinely enjoy and find the sociak scene within them you appreciate the most.

    Also:/ignore is heaven

    DelphinidaesCorehealer
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    @Roe i'm assuming you'd need to dual client to level up though?

  • RoeRoe Farming Greater Rifts Registered User regular
    @Roe i'm assuming you'd need to dual client to level up though?

    Not anymore. There are quests throughout the various battlegrounds that allow you to level to 50 in a day and a half times work.

    Many people had dual clients used as buff bots, but they have a buff vendor now that puts everyone on the same playing field.

    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Corehealer wrote: »
    The official forums for these games almost always exist as cesspools because that is their intended function; devs want to have that repository of information so that they can have moderators and community reps dredge the 1 or 2% of useful feedback that is found in there, and ignore the rest of the inevitable complaining.

    It lets complainers have a place to complain and brave souls have a place where their legit complaints can eventually be found and evaluated.

    It is never intended for actual community development, paradoxically. That all happens either retroactively in other games or forums, or on new forums for the game's different guilds, or in the game itself.

    EDIT: I'll add to that the caveat that many MMO devs will also have that information brought to them, and then they ignore it anyway, either because they have something better in mind to fix the issue, or because the thing that's broke is too hard to fix/embarrassing to fix or even acknowledge, and they don't do anything anyways and it's forgotten.

    Seeing as how the only experience I've had is CoX, yes. Most of the time, I'm content to sit in the games' threads here and let other, braver souls get that information.

    Maybe it's because I was based on the RP server but I didn't really see a whole lot of verbal abuse/random crap in CoX even after it went F2P. Someone had a question, usually it was given a fairly direct and correct response. Even troll questions were answered without snark.

    Maybe had something to do with the setting?

    newSig.jpg
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Nocren wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »
    The official forums for these games almost always exist as cesspools because that is their intended function; devs want to have that repository of information so that they can have moderators and community reps dredge the 1 or 2% of useful feedback that is found in there, and ignore the rest of the inevitable complaining.

    It lets complainers have a place to complain and brave souls have a place where their legit complaints can eventually be found and evaluated.

    It is never intended for actual community development, paradoxically. That all happens either retroactively in other games or forums, or on new forums for the game's different guilds, or in the game itself.

    EDIT: I'll add to that the caveat that many MMO devs will also have that information brought to them, and then they ignore it anyway, either because they have something better in mind to fix the issue, or because the thing that's broke is too hard to fix/embarrassing to fix or even acknowledge, and they don't do anything anyways and it's forgotten.

    Seeing as how the only experience I've had is CoX, yes. Most of the time, I'm content to sit in the games' threads here and let other, braver souls get that information.

    Maybe it's because I was based on the RP server but I didn't really see a whole lot of verbal abuse/random crap in CoX even after it went F2P. Someone had a question, usually it was given a fairly direct and correct response. Even troll questions were answered without snark.

    Maybe had something to do with the setting?

    Nah, I think if the game is good like CoX was and is fun to play for the most part/well developed, the community tends to give a shit more and are more likely to be helpful to new players and eager to partake of discussions in a genuine way.

    Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    CoX had a wonderful community outside the PvP boards.

    Guardian forever! Especially the Guardian global chat.

    The game dynamics and social environment also cultivated a good player atmosphere. Sidekicking (why the hell hasn't the sidekicking mechanic made it into other games?) and costume contests are just the tip of the iceberg.

    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Almost every mmo has a shit community but good pockets of people. Find the pockets

    SYhhzZG.jpg?2?8605
    V1m
Sign In or Register to comment.