As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games]: Meeples, Minis, Dice, Cards and Tokens galore!

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Well, it is remarked fairly regularly around here that we are a community of enablers ...

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Speaking of enabling, you guys were totally right about these "LCG-style" games. I am getting a bit obsessed and addicted to Star Trek: Attack Wing (is that a "Living Miniatures Game"?). It didn't really happen with Netrunner, and so I thought I might be immune, but with ST:AW it's all I can do not to buy everything that is released, immediately. I think about potential teams a lot. Whenever I go to a big-box store, I swing by the plastic organizer boxes to see if there's anything I can put into good use. I've already started doing washes of the models, and I'm afraid my next step is actual painting. I want to show it to everybody, and I want to play it all the time.

The only real casualty of this, so far, is my wife. "You have GOT to find other people to play this with. You're driving me crazy." On the plus side, this is finally incentivizing me to get involved in a local gaming group. Woo, exciting!

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Played through the motions of Eclipse on my own to be sure I've got it down before a sudden surprise opportunity to get it to the table on Friday.

Really quite amazingly elegantly put together. Very much looking forward to the real thing.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Played a few rounds of Coup last night (two with 4 and one with 3). It certainly kicks Love Letter's ass, but I feel like we didn't have quite enough people to really make it sing, especially in that three-player game.

So Coup plays the same as Love Letter? I thought it was more like Resistance?

I believe Coup plays closest to Mascarade.

Though they aren't carbon copies of each other or anything.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    I ordered Kemet last night. Its kind of my Christmas gift to myself this year. I've only heard positive things about that game, but I know my fiancee will go crazy over those plastic sculpts. I also know that she will want to play as the cat people every time.

Its kind of funny, I used to be able to beat her at games, and now it seems like she has become completely dominant of me. I beat her at a game of Race for the Galaxy yesterday by one point, and I was so overjoyed that I took a picture to commemorate the occasion. Of course, I don't mind losing as long as she did it fairly (grumble Scorched Earth deck grumble).

So December is here, what's everyones favorite games of the year?

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm not directly familiar with Love Letter, but Coup is basically Mascarade with player elimination.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    cpugeek13 wrote: »
    I ordered Kemet last night. Its kind of my Christmas gift to myself this year. I've only heard positive things about that game, but I know my fiancee will go crazy over those plastic sculpts. I also know that she will want to play as the cat people every time.

Its kind of funny, I used to be able to beat her at games, and now it seems like she has become completely dominant of me. I beat her at a game of Race for the Galaxy yesterday by one point, and I was so overjoyed that I took a picture to commemorate the occasion. Of course, I don't mind losing as long as she did it fairly (grumble Scorched Earth deck grumble).

So far? Settlers of Catan. Because it's all I have gotten to play.

Actually, scratch that, Chess.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

X-Wing
    Netrunner
    Pathfinder LCG

Terra Mystica would probably be on that list if I ever had the chance to play it or the money to buy it.

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

X-Wing
    Netrunner
    Pathfinder LCG

Terra Mystica would probably be on that list if I ever had the chance to play it or the money to buy it.

terra mystica

bam

discussion over

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    Invictus wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »

X-Wing
    Netrunner
    Pathfinder LCG

terra mystica

bam

discussion over

So when can I expect it in the mail?

• Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular

Coup

I guess, uh, I haven't played much else that came out just this year.

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular

Probably my favorite game is Android: Netrunner. I just need to bring it more often to the table. The only issue is I have 2 kids and when we play, the other can't.

Runner up would be Ghost Stories but there are games I just recently purchases and haven't got enough playtime with them to get a proper opinion.

Now that we are looking at the end of the year, I took a second to draw a list of all boardgames bought this year...

- Android Netrunner with all data pack and extansion
    - Too many X-wing ships to count (2 core set +$$$$$ down the drain)
    - Ghost Stories
    - Ghost Stories White Moon
    - Zombicide Toxic Mall (kickstarter)
    - Zombicide Outbreak (kickstarter)
    - Elder Signs
    - Lord of Waterdeep
    - Pandemic (bought new edition even if I owned the previous one)
    - Pandemic on the break (reason I got the new edition of pandemic)
    - Takenoko
    - 7 wonders (with leaders, cities and wonder pack)
    - Smash up with lvl 9000 expansion
    - Tokaido (ordered today)
    - Neuroshima factions (dancers and Steel police)
    - Get bit
    - Walk the plank (kickstarter)
    - Dungeon Dice (kickstarter)
    - Alien Frontier 4th edition with all expansion (rocket dice kickstarter, not yet received)
    - Ascension Apprentice pack (for the boys, actually looking at getting the Year one collection when it releases)

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Favorite game played or released this year?

Released: definitely Eldritch Horror. The majority of opinions (including mine) I see for Arkham Horror are along the lines of "I liked/want to like it, but..."

Eldritch Horror removes all the butts.

Honorable mention: Terra Mystica provides a valuable service in that it's the only euro game that doesn't bore me to tears so it's a good compromise to bring out with the euro-heavy group.

MrBody on
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Oh god, I thought this thread was totally dead, but just now realized I had just forgotten to subscribe to the new one. Is this real life? Where am I?

Someone hold me.

Right, board games. I just got Galaxy Trucker in the D&D Secret Santa. Can't wait to try it out. Possibly at the board game club Christmas lunch this Saturday.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Of the many great games released this year, Spyrium is the hands-down winner for me. All the thinkiness I want from a Euro, but without many rules or lots of fiddly bits. I'm just really impressed with the depth that comes from such a compact design.

There are lots of runners-up. Maybe I'll do a list.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Oh man, great games this year:

-- Attack Wing I've mentioned. The newer ships are great. Can't get enough.

-- Escape: Curse of the Temple is a big hit. A co-op that I can get behind.

-- Amerigo. Has that traditional euro flavor and form, in the same class as Castles of Burgundy, but looks twice as nice.

jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    SaarSaar Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I'm not directly familiar with Love Letter, but Coup is basically Mascarade with player elimination.

I wish we had Coup a few weeks back at the LFGS when we played Mascarade.

All one guy did was bitch about how it wasn't Resistance.

Would have loved to eliminate him.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    Oh god, I thought this thread was totally dead, but just now realized I had just forgotten to subscribe to the new one. Is this real life? Where am I?

Someone hold me.

Right, board games. I just got Galaxy Trucker in the D&D Secret Santa. Can't wait to try it out. Possibly at the board game club Christmas lunch this Saturday.

Galaxy Trucker is great fun. I bought it recently, and me and my brother had a blast(first he got annihilated, then he built a ship dreams are made of, that could shrug off anything the game threw at him. Me? I got destroyed by bad events in three turns).

It promises to be even better in a larger group, when you get to enjoy bad things happening to other people(shortly before sniper pirates pick off all your engines in one turn).

• Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    Got to play Lewis & Clark recently. I am very impressed with it and its mix of deck-building, worker placement and racing mechanics. Especially the way card play is handled is quite clever.

The main idea is that you're trying to be the first expedition to cross North America. You play cards from your hand and activate them by playing a second card from your hand face-down. (In some cases allowing you to use an ability multiple times.) You do so to gather resources to make use of abilities which in turn allow your scout to move ahead. But you need the rest of your expedition to catch up in order to win. And depending on how many cards you still have in your hand and how many resources you're carrying with you, making camp might take some time. Time during which your valiant scout will scurry back. So you are basically trying to push your scout ahead as much as you can before making camp. Different terrain requires different resources to cross it so you have to plan carefully. If you are off by only one or two steps your expedition might only lurch forward a single space instead of rushing upwards of five spaces on the track.

You can recruit new people (cards) into your expedition which provide new and more powerful abilities but a bigger expedition usually means it takes longer before it makes sense to move camp. You can also trade with Native Americans or use their help (the worker placement element of the game). But it takes a while to make contact (i.e. gain workers) and really take advantage of the help they can provide. Once they are part of your expedition, though, you can use them to activate cards (instead of playing a second card or in addition to it). But again, once an expedition is too big it becomes harder to move forward quickly.

Unlike many other euro-style or deck-building games, you have to change your "engine" a few times, switching from one resource-generating combo to another, all while keeping ahead of your competition. There are some 7 Wonders-type rules included, where the cards in other player's play area can boost the power of your own. To top it all off, the theme is apparently well-researched in that all expedition member cards are based on real life personalities.

Like I said I am very impressed by the neat design, the way the various elements are interlocked and how you have multiple viable ways to approach your goal. Interaction is low, but present and tangible while confrontational play (while possible) doesn't play a big role. I totally recommend it, albeit with the caveat, that I don't really feel the pressing need to play it again soon. It's a great design, very neat and slick and it looks colourful and fun. But the theme doesn't do anything for me, so I am left only with my appreciation of the game's design and no urge to dive into the game again.

So basically, fantastic game that I am indifferent about?

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Am I still the only one here with Eldritch Horror? Someone give me a confirmation that it's a great game so I know I'm not imaging it.

Close to ten games now and I still don't see any of the glaring balance flaws, exploits, or "optimal" strategies that Arkham had problems with (except the clairvoyance spell, easily fixed).

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I've got it also. Haven't played it yet though.

Back of the envelope judgment: It could have been a little more streamlined than it was, but it's definitely a huge step up from Arkham Horror. Looking forward to trying it out. Looking forward to expansions that add more content.

I don't like the board, though. Too many key globetrotting cities are missing.

• Options
    My best new game of the year: Forbidden Desert. (Of course I haven't actually play that many new releases this year). Such a great coop game. Much more thematic than Matt Leacock's other games, IMO.

My best game of the year: Keyflower. This game has such incredible mechanics, and never overstays its welcome. Of course, there are times where I wish you could play for another season of two. Its amazing how the bidding and worker placement work so well together. The one flaw that it has is that some of the winter and boat tiles are a little confusing. This game rocks, definitely give it a try!

• Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    ^I'll also cast my vote on Keyflower. It is amazing how much it does with so few basic mechanics. The worst thing about it is that I find it incredibly difficult to explain to new players. I don't know why :\
    I'm also pretty inconsistent at it. I can go from a crushing victory to a humiliating defeat in two games.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I should also mention that Keyflower infuriates my fiancee to no end. She will have her whole season planned out in her head, when suddenly I place a color she doesn't have on one of the spaces she wants, essentially blocking her from using it. Yelling ensues, and she is forced to change her plan. Don't worry though, because she then spends the whole rest of the game getting back at me. Good times :)

cpugeek13 on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I have to get my thoughts in order to write my actual year-end list for Snackbar, but it usually looks very much like my "hot" list in my BGG profile (since that's how I like to use that feature). Complicating matters this year is the fact that three of my "hot" games are kickstarters that have been delayed into oblivion (the new BattleCON, A Study in Emerald) or that I knew were arriving after my deadline (Euphoria), so I have to do some digging to see what other new hotness I've played this year.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Favorite games ive bought\played this year?

Lords of Waterdeep and Love Letter. I think i bought Ghost Stories expansion this year so put that on the list.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I think my favorite game this year in No Retreat: The Russian Front. It's pretty incredible, and I want to play it constantly.

• Options
    Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    This ignores the actual release date of games in favor of what I've actually played for the first time this year:

1) Netrunner - This game is dope. I hardly even get to play it since my girlfriend finds it too stressful, but I still spend way too much time thinking about it. I literally went through the trouble of organizing a secret santa gift exchange for the sole purpose of buying one of my friends a bunch of cards so that I would have someone else to play with.

2) X-Wing - I've decided that it's not actually worth the money to buy all the ships you need to have a ton of variety and replayability, but its still a blast. Since everything I spent on ships is basically a sunk cost at this point, I'm looking at this game as an experience to be had with what I already have and its some of the most fun I've ever had with a game.

3) Resistance: Avalon - Incredible fun if you like yelling at your friends. Which I do.

4) Kemet - This game ended up having a very mixed reaction in my gaming group. But, for me and two others in the group, we think it's great. It solves the turtling problem I encounter in most combat driven games which has always been an enormous problem with my group. Also, the power system (racism aside) is great and is implemented very well and I look forward to opportunities to get it to the table.

5) Love Letter - I know I deliberately ignored cost in my #2, but I can't overlook that I picked up this game for $4 and its easily the best filler/opener in my collection. It's super easy to learn, instantly enjoyable to play, and fits nicely in a tiny little bag. No reason to not have this and just keep in in your car's glove box, or something.

Honorable Mentions:

King of Tokyo - I've found I've become a little bit burned out on this, but that's because we've played it so much over the last 6-7 months. Everyone I've taught it to, gamers and non-gamers alike can quickly get into it and have a good time with it.

Krosmaster Arena - I only picked this game up a few weeks ago, so I don't feel I've had enough plays and time with it to evangelize it yet. But so far, it's been great. I played a lot of League of Legends once upon a time and all the comparisons between DoTA/LoL and this game are very much true. It's charming and fun and I look forward to picking up an expansion or two in order to expand the roster and give it some more variety.

Dark White on
    jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    So many great games this year. I'm still building a library so I haven't quite caught up with the new hotness stuff, yet.

Mice & Mystics is adorable, fun to play, and tells a really great story. I traded Decent 2.0 for this and haven't regretted it since. Don't get me wrong - Descent 2.0 is a fine game. It has great components, a good ruleset, and a very nice leveling system. But M&M has greater appeal with it's fairy tale-style storytelling and cute mice miniatures. I'm quickly becoming quite the fan of Plaid Hat Games thanks to M&M and Summoner Wars. I can't wait to see what they do with Dead of Winter. I ditched every other zombie game from my wishlist after this was announced.

But Android: Netrunner is definitely the game I had the strongest, darkest love affair with. Filled with tormoil, heartbreak, and betrayal. I'm being hyperbolic but I initially bought Netrunner and was super-excited to try to get my friends involved and get into the tournament scene. It never quite worked out because I was trying to convert the wrong group of people. Eventually I got frustrated and traded it away, which shortly then after I found the right people but the game was already gone. Now, thanks very much to @Nullzone, I have the game again and am excited to teach my friends how to play. I'll have to get a second baseset so we'll have enough to build our own decks with.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    ehronlimeehronlime Southbank, Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I haven't organized my thoughts enough for a full "best of year" list, but the one game that I've really enjoyed this year and didn't think I would was The Duke. The fact that it's similar to Chess has let me entice some non-gamers into trying it out (It's like Chess on stero- er.. blood doping?).

My boardgames: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/ehron
    My blog & podcast about games and comics: http://theactionpointspodcast.com
    My hair: Lustrous and full bodied
  • Options
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    But Android: Netrunner is definitely the game I had the strongest, darkest love affair with. Filled with tormoil, heartbreak, and betrayal. I'm being hyperbolic but I initially bought Netrunner and was super-excited to try to get my friends involved and get into the tournament scene. It never quite worked out because I was trying to convert the wrong group of people. Eventually I got frustrated and traded it away, which shortly then after I found the right people but the game was already gone. Now, thanks very much to @Nullzone, I have the game again and am excited to teach my friends how to play. I'll have to get a second baseset so we'll have enough to build our own decks with.

Coming soon to a theater near you: Netrunner: Redemption.

My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    My favourite game of the year is easily Terra Mystica.

The game I've played the most is easily Netrunner. I've just had a bit of a falling out with it the last month or two. I'll probably get back into it, but I'm enjoying other things in the meantime.

• Options
    Dammit

I really need to buy Terra Mystica

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    It's like 20% off on Amazon right now, I think. Last time I checked it was.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    What's the deal with Terra Mystica? I'm having the hardest time understanding why I would buy the game. Not that I doubt that it's good, but I don't know what exactly the game is. Now, Eclipse is sort of like that too, in that it's hard to really convey how the game "feels". But then again Eclipse has a theme that I can readily grasp. So what's FUN about Terra Mystica?

jergarmar on
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    What's the deal with Terra Mystica? I'm having the hardest time understanding why I would buy the game. Not that I doubt that it's good, but I don't know what exactly the game is. Now, Eclipse is sort of like that too, in that it's hard to really convey how the game "feels". But then again Eclipse has a theme that I can readily grasp. So what's FUN about Terra Mystica?

I'm actually covering it in my column tomorrow, but I like the way each of the 14 races plays out differently. There's also the strategic decisions that have to be made regarding expanding next to your opponents: power (also have to weigh loss of VP here), trading post discounts, cut off from further expansion in that direction — and the fact that these are basically mutual.

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    My top 3 this year:

-Bloodbound is a game that was not yet released, but wins the race from pure awesome single experience during a game. @Infidel should remember this, because I think he was complicit with another Phallateer (whom I'm forgetting due to rage probably) confusing the ever living bejeezus out of me. I think my brain was actually ruined from that and I became legitimately worse at deduction from that point on.
    -Red Dragon Inn wins my #2 spot because it was was a nice transition game that was short and simple. It also had moment from PAX when one of my roommates was playing the orc and played a card that negated an action called 'SHUT UP!' The card itself is not the greatness, but in the lobby of our hotel just belting this out and cutting me off mid-sentence was priceless.
    -Lords of Waterdeep probably gets my #3 spot even though I don't own it because I played it every day of PAX and never had a bad time. Archipelago gets honorable mention since I own it, enjoy it, but realize it is not entirely the same thing!

I want to add The Resistance here, but every time I play it, I'm thinking that I'd rather have 10-20 more people and be playing Mafia/Werewolf.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    My top 3 this year:

-Bloodbound is a game that was not yet released, but wins the race from pure awesome single experience during a game. @Infidel should remember this, because I think he was complicit with another Phallateer (whom I'm forgetting due to rage probably) confusing the ever living bejeezus out of me. I think my brain was actually ruined from that and I became legitimately worse at deduction from that point on.
    -Red Dragon Inn wins my #2 spot because it was was a nice transition game that was short and simple. It also had moment from PAX when one of my roommates was playing the orc and played a card that negated an action called 'SHUT UP!' The card itself is not the greatness, but in the lobby of our hotel just belting this out and cutting me off mid-sentence was priceless.
    -Lords of Waterdeep probably gets my #3 spot even though I don't own it because I played it every day of PAX and never had a bad time. Archipelago gets honorable mention since I own it, enjoy it, but realize it is not entirely the same thing!

I want to add The Resistance here, but every time I play it, I'm thinking that I'd rather have 10-20 more people and be playing Mafia/Werewolf.

Really? What do the dead people do? What happens when a round takes 20 minutes because of intense discussion and you realize you've got another five hours to play?

I feel like Mafia/Werewolf is an amazing game with some huge drawbacks, and The Resistance is 80% of the good parts of Mafia without any of the bad parts.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    My top 3 this year:

That was @Matev and I, as both Harlequins. :rotate:

This game is great btw. And out. I got @ecco the dolphin to pick it up while I was in New Zealand and we played it at his stag. "Shouty stabby" was huge hit.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Mafia has many more epic stories from the plays than Resistance ever gets at PAX.

OrokosPA.png
This discussion has been closed.