As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Christmas Gift for someone that sews and quilts.

noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
Hey folks,

I'm participating in an Office exchange this year, and the person I got is really into sewing, quilting, and general crafty affairs. That's honestly the ONLY thing I know about her, so I'm trying to find a good gift. Something around the 20 dollar marks that isn't just a new pair of sewing needles.

So umm, help?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You could probably find out their favorite animal and get a pincushion of that and assorted things fitting that theme?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    A really nice pair of scissors. Really.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Do you have any fabric stores nearby? You could get a stack of fabric squares for quilting, maybe a book of quilting patterns depending on cost.

Another vote for some good scissors too. Cutting through stacks of fabric can dull scissors like you would not believe.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Even just cutting through thread. There is a huge difference.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I'm participating in an Office exchange this year, and the person I got is really into sewing, quilting, and general crafty affairs. That's honestly the ONLY thing I know about her, so I'm trying to find a good gift. Something around the 20 dollar marks that isn't just a new pair of sewing needles.

So umm, help?

This is kind of a cool thing for sewing and crafting, particularly handsewing.

Edit: And yeah, nice, new sharp scissors are good too.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »
    Hey folks,

So umm, help?

This is kind of a cool thing for sewing and crafting, particularly handsewing.

Edit: And yeah, nice, new sharp scissors are good too.

Third hands can be super useful, I don't know what I would use one for in quilting, but I bet there is a use.

I own what looks like that exact model, actually. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, I bought mine there for about $3.

These kinds of mats are always damn useful, if you go to buy anything at Joann's fabrics, make sure to grab a coupon first. They have a 50% off one item one on their website right now.

Giftcards to a store like Joann's (if you have one nearby) are always good because then she can go buy her own fabric, another pair of good scissors is always welcome and loved, a set of nice new pins in a magnetic case or with a wrist pin-cushion.

Silk pins
    magnetic pin holder
    You could get her this, and I'd say to get her a set of bobbins too, but I don't know what sewing machine she uses, and I think that might matter?

Rotary cutters are also a freaking godsend when you are quilting.

A 12"x12" square acrylic ruler is really useful for quilting too.

There are also things like quilting calendars.

Whatever you get her, make sure to include a gift receipt as well; she might well own whatever you get her already, or it might not work for her.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    A really nice pair of scissors. Really.

AGREE

However, this is sort of a personal preference thing as different sizes and shapes of shears have different purposes, and will fit their hand differently (and good shears are ~$40-50)

So...gift certificate? Or maybe a small pair for snipping threads?

• Options
    You can get super awesome thread scissors for $10-15. My mom quilts pretty seriously and they're a must for her. Also handy for people who sew on the go: they make necklace charms with tiny gaps in them that contain a small blade that you can take on airplanes, or just if you're out and don't want to worry about losing nice scissors. My mom had one of those too.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    @noir_blood, are you still in the NYC area?
    If so, I'd also recommend http://www.purlsoho.com -- they have a shop in Soho and the ladies who work there are super helpful with regards to sewing stuff (they're a hybrid knitting/quilting shop, they should have some classy small-gift things)

• Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    I bought myself something like this (minus the lanyard) and honestly it has made sewing soooo much easier ot deal with. Try just going into a fabric/quilting store and perusing their aisles - our local semi-terrible one still has some ridiculously cute knick knacks for not too much money

• Options
    HollerHoller Registered User regular
    @noir_blood, are you still in the NYC area?
    If so, I'd also recommend http://www.purlsoho.com -- they have a shop in Soho and the ladies who work there are super helpful with regards to sewing stuff (they're a hybrid knitting/quilting shop, they should have some classy small-gift things)

I clicked this thread pretty much just to say Purl Soho, I'm glad someone beat me to it !

My other suggestions is Makoto Oozu cross stitch books, I think this is the only one in English. They're definitely A Certain Aesthetic, though, so if she isn't youngish/nerdyish/doesn't have kids/doesn't like dinosaurs and robots, she may or may not be into it.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    My wife and mother are avid quilters, and the best thing I can recommend is to go to a fabric store and pick out a selection of fat quarters, which are 18" x 22" blocks (it's a quarter of a yard of fabric, which is 44" wide). Make sure you get 100% cotton fabric, and don't buy cheap fabrics. Cheap fabrics are low in thread count and/or quality, so the don't hold up well and they tend to stretch when quilting (which ruins a quilt).

The easiest to utilize fabrics are what they call Batik fabrics, which are textured fabrics without a specific pattern. They will look kind of tie dyed. The mix of colors make them easy to integrate into a quilt. You should be able to pick out between eight and a dozen Batik fat quarters for around $20, and most fabric stores will have bundles of quality fat quarters ready to sell.

Other alternatives are high quality quilting rulers (generally made from a thick, clear plastic) or quilting stencils (from the same plastic).

The scissors are a good idea, but if she's an avid quilter, she probably already has a high quality pair (or two).

Don't buy needles, because they are specific to the sewing machine and very few people do hand quilting as it's extremely time consuming. I also don't recommend buying quilting books for either art or patterns, because both depend on the style of quilting the person prefers.

• Options
    Really? My mom only does hand-quilting.

But yeah, needles are not a great idea.