As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Learning math

robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
lately I've come across certain things in my own personal research, Fractals, Encryption, etc..

I was never good at math in school, in fact I despised it, and basically had no interest in it. But now I find myself actually wanting to learn this stuff. But it's been damn near 7 years since I graduated high school.

Is there any good online learning material for math? I don't really want to go back to college, and I can't necessarily afford it on top of the student loan I'm already paying off :S

Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
robotbebop on

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd say your best bet would probably be to pick up a book - not necessarily a textbook, but the kind of thing you could find at Borders. I'm probably going to do that this summer to brush up on Calculus before taking Calc II with over a year of no math in between. :?

In my experience, the internet is great for quick questions (How do I factor binomials? Can I multiply integrals? What the fuck is l'Hopital's rule?), but I think a book would be easier if you're actually looking for step-by-step instruction and teaching of the material.

Edit: I don't know if you're looking for anything besides fractals and encryption, but for Calculus, my teacher swore upon this book. As the page says, it does indeed try to throw in some humor. I think I remember a related rates question about the rate of wine draining out of a keg and the rate at which party goers became drunk off their asses.

Taximes on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Learning math over the net is pretty tough. Indeed, I find it difficult to learn math from any sort of book, its so much better to have someone show you through it (I am quite good at math).

But I agree that getting a book is your best bet, unless you know somebody who is knowledgable in these fields.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You might also try looking at test prep books, specifically the ones that review the material as well as including tests. Some of the better ones tend to make concepts a lot simpler than text books in my experience - of course I was studing organic chemistry and not math, but I would think the same situation might apply.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    Marc C.Marc C. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Have a look at this guy's website: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/. It covers basic subjects such as algebra, calculus, linear algebra and differential equations.

Marc C. on