As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Transmission Fluid

siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So, long story short, I figure out I need to add some fluid to my tranny. I'm driving a 98 Ford Contour Sport, 4 cylinder, 2.0 liter. I go into Autozone, and ask what I might need, and I'm told that I need to find out whether or not its Mercon or Mercon V, else my tranny just might shit the bed.

So I come to you, H/A, how do I know the difference?

siliconenhanced on

• Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'd say check the owner's manual or call the dealer. They should be able to tell you what went into it.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I do believe that either of those fluids will work in your tranny [as in Ford has released that transmission in your vehicle with both types of fluid]. Unless mixed, then possible boom.

Are you the original owner of the vehicle, or do you know the original owner? If so you need to find out if the tranny has ever been serviced and what type of fluid has been put in.

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, actually, I just read the dip stick in the tranny, and it said "Mercon".

So I added Mercon, drove it around, and it seems to be fine. Though that could change when I drive it to work tomorrow.

siliconenhanced on