Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Fantasy series recommendations

2»

• badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Urban Fantasy:

Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews. Solid action, interesting (if not a bit typical of fantasy hero/heroine) heroine, and a fun ride. First book is a little worse than second or third. Overall, very solid.

The aforementioned Iron Druid (by Kevin Hearne) series is quite good, as is the Alex Verus series (by Benedict Jacka). I actually enjoyed the Alex Verus series more, even if I felt it was much more derivative of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files.

Fantasy

While not greek or egyptian, you need to read the Riryia series by Michael J. Sullivan. It's a modern fantasy (meaning written modernly not a modern setting) of Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and Grey Mouser series (although the author didn't read the series prior to writing his). It's kind of a buddy-thief series. The interesting part is he wrote six books that he self published (they were then published by a publisher in three, two-book volumes later) that you can read first (in the chronological order they were written) or he has written two prequels that go well out of their way to not spoil the story of the first main set of books he wrote. Honestly, if I had to start them over, I'm not sure which way I'd read it. The quality of the prequels is quite good and they are more polished than his original six books, so it might be jarring to go back to his first books after reading those.

Riyria Chronicles (the prequels)
    The Crown Tower
    The Rose and the Thorn

Riyria Revelations (the main series)
    Theft of Swords collects The Crown Conspiracy and Avempartha
    Rise of Empire collects Nyphron Rising and The Emerald Storm
    Heir of Novron collects Wintertide and Percepliquis

A side note for others that like the idea of Piers Anthony but don't want the misogyny, give Robert Asprin's Myth series a shot.

badpoet on
2»