As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for an old (not that old) PC game title (Found)

HevachHevach Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm pretty sure the game is buried on an old flash drive or hard drive of mine somewhere, but no luck finding it without knowing the title, and trying to google it has probably put me on fifteen new government watch lists and just given me page after page of internet insanity.

Anyway, I want to say the game had a Latin name. I think it came out post-2000, but... I could be way late on that, could be mid to late 90's for as good as my memory is.

Other than that, it was a strategy game with a Risk-style map, except rather than military conquest it was conquest by an Illuminati/NWO-style conspiracy. You conquer a country by controlling its military, political, criminal, industrial, religious, and media leaders, and if you manage to do so on a global scale (while legitimate forces and traitors erode your existing control and crazy people on the internet make the populace uneasy), you win.

I'm pretty sure it was an indie game, but it had a demo and paid full version. It wasn't exactly great, and it got repetitive pretty quick, but it still had enough charm that I've been wanting to revisit it lately.

Any help?

Hevach on

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
  • Options
    No, definitely a lot newer than that, it was a windows game. You don't play as an elected official. Though you can bribe, blackmail, oust, or outright buy the election of a president (among others).

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Could have been one of the Europa Universalis games?

Otherwise you might find it in the bigass list at the bottom of this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_simulation_game

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    What's the overall aesthetic of the game? Is it a highly abstracted 'interactive spreadsheet' sort of game, or more like a traditional title with prominent visuals? Is it 3D model based or 2D sprite based?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The Ender wrote: »
    What's the overall aesthetic of the game? Is it a highly abstracted 'interactive spreadsheet' sort of game, or more like a traditional title with prominent visuals? Is it 3D model based or 2D sprite based?

Very spreadsheet. Some basic stats (population pacification, income) in a bar, black lines on a white background for the map, countries where you control leaders are varying shades of red depending on how much control you have. Actions are basically from a menu - you click on a country, then a leader, then you can investiage them to find weaknesses, then pressure them (blackmail, bribery, favors, etc), or get rid of them (there were several ways to do this, I remember scandal, supporting a rival, or just killing them).

I did remember that, while there was very little war involved, if you did control all leaders of a country you could incite a war between it and a neighbor. Doing so caused a loss of population control, risked leaders leaving, but if you won would give you total control of the target country.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    After staring into the Gamefaqs abyss long enough to learn the terrible secrets of mortality, I finally found the title: Novus Ordum.

Thanks to people for the leads, Shadow President and Neocolonialism did eventually lead me there. I was really starting to believe I'd imagined the game.

Hevach on