As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Wii U Thread: THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    ...when did videos become memes?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    TubularLuggage
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Nintendo does this. They build up a face for the company. Humanize it. Microsoft and Sony have made attempts too

Remember Howard Lincoln?
    He had nintendo power comic for like a decade

Even Sakurai our gaming savior/troll is part of this.

Its not a meme its promotion. Reggie was hired for his charisma and presence in addition to his buisness accumen. And it worked. Hes practically a household name

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    TubularLuggageNiceguyeddie616
  • RehabRehab Registered User regular
    You mean the comic that repeatedly uses memes about how Jesus is just a regular guy, a cat and a demon who are uncritiqueable, a merch monster, or an ongoing fight over a gold watch?

That is more or less confusing (or attempting to blur the lines between) what I was talking about with the self-created pathos of a comic that has been around for 15 over years. A comic, television series, or other type of ongoing entertainment product is allowed to reference back to parts of itself and have characters. Those things are not memes. Now if those characters and the gold watch situation were always repeated ad nauseum in exactly the same fashion without creating different jokes, and the repetition itself was at the core of the humor, you would have an argument.

Anyway, so I'm not just being cynical here, I thought the videos that Nintendo did with Joel McHale awhile back were pretty funny. If they wanted to simply put more funny people in their videos and let them do their thing I would be cool with that. Hell, Reggie himself can be pretty funny when he isn't overly pandering.

NNID: Rehab0
    Litany
  • Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I don't see how this is pandering or forcing a meme, it's not like they were tossing out "my body is ready" or "y cant Reggie crawl". They used the face of NoA in a skit that doesn't really have anything to do with previous (and probably future) things.

Like, we haven't seen non-specific action figure return because it was just a one-off goof.

I guess you just don't like Mega64 and that's fine?

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
    BlueBlueTubularLuggageMaz-
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Rehab wrote: »
    You mean the comic that repeatedly uses memes about how Jesus is just a regular guy, a cat and a demon who are uncritiqueable, a merch monster, or an ongoing fight over a gold watch?

That is more or less confusing (or attempting to blur the lines between) what I was talking about with the self-created pathos of a comic that has been around for 15 over years. A comic, television series, or other type of ongoing entertainment product is allowed to reference back to parts of itself and have characters. Those things are not memes. Now if those characters and the gold watch situation were always repeated ad nauseum in exactly the same fashion without creating different jokes, and the repetition itself was at the core of the humor, you would have an argument.

No, those things are literally memes.

Memes are just ideas that are repeated and form a part of public consciousness over time, growing in popularity and fading organically. They're the idealogical version of biological genes. Anything that is good enough/funny enough to be repeated and maintains its popularity is a meme.

You may be thinking of internet memes in particular, pictures of Bad Luck Brian with white text over them, that sort of thing.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Tell me more about the memes, Jack!

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Maz- wrote: »
    I've seen the videos. My friend hasn't. This is the problem with what you guys are trying to say. E3 contains a boatload of non-gamer news journos.

..and they will cover Nintendo's presence at E3, including their Digital Event.

I'm sure they will. :)

Does the constant cynicism work for you most of the time? Just curious.

Absolutely. That way I can be pleasantly surprised when good things happen and not shocked when it goes to shit in a hand basket.

These are the very words I live by.

Gaslighturahonky
    But what words do you die by?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Probably something like "wait, what was that-", or "that doesn't look right-"

urahonky
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    "what are you gonna do, stab me?"

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    urahonkyNoggin
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    "I wonder what this does..."

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
      "Not in the face! Not in the face!"

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    • HounHoun Registered User regular

I dunno yet. I'll let you know when it happens.

But it's most likely:
      TimFiji wrote: »
      "I wonder what this does..."

TimFiji

Sure I can do that again

• QuicalQuical Registered User regular
      Guys let's not pretend that Nintendo haven't done a press conference before. They know EXACTLY what sort of hype a press conference gets because they started the bloody things. They did them year after year after year. I think they know if it's worth doing or not. It's not like they've just FORGOTTEN what press conferences are and that they've done them before. They feel this online event is the best way to present the information and I agree with them.

Also they seem to be making more of an effort this year than anyone!
      They're using the theatre where they WOULD have had the press conference to host a NINTENDO SPONSORED professional smash tournament with the top 16 world smash players. They're opening their arms to the professional community - a big win for those types of gamers.
      What's more, they're live streaming it. They're really pushing their all in to that. That's their big conference, a gaming tournament for gamers rather than a "This is what tv stuff you can do on your xbox" for journalists.

Their e3 presence? Huge. Daily Livestreams done on their own website of all the new games? They cut out the middleman needing to do the live streams for them, and news joints are going to report on it ANYWAY.

They're promising big reveals, and big presence. They're not "Not showing up" and they're not "Lacking in publicising" because they've announced all of this, over a month in advance, when their competitors have just said "Ah we're probably gonna do what we always do."

Nintendo are trying something new and attempting to make a difference to the usual journalism numbers wank-fest echo chamber that this turns in to.
      But hey, what's the point if people can't cry DOOM like they usually do?

NNID: Quical
      STEAM: Quical
      Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
      King RiptorWarlock82Niceguyeddie616DelphinidaesMNC DoverGreasyKidsStuffb1rdmanMegamaniacodipuc4life
      Quical wrote: »
      They're using the theatre where they WOULD have had the press conference to host a NINTENDO SPONSORED professional smash tournament with the top 16 world smash players. They're opening their arms to the professional community - a big win for those types of gamers.

Well, 16 "highly skilled" players.

CD World Tour status:
      Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
    • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
      I hope they all use Fox.

16 guys that havent uses misogyny on capcom unity stream yet

Quical
    • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
      Taramoor wrote: »
      I hope they all use Fox.

I hope the winner gets to play Sakurai. Who'll be playing an until that point unrevealed character.

Maz-QuicalPolaritie
    • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
      I hope they all use Fox.

They're all going to use Zero Suit Samus.

Nintendo Console Codes
      Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
      Yoshi.

Yoshi is objectively the worst Smash Bros character ever.

Yoshi.

You take that back.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
    • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
      I hope they all use Fox.

I do wonder how they're gonna handle character selection because they definitely don't want 16 Foxes.

They definitely wanna show off the new characters, but obviously none of the players are familiar with them.
      Random characters in every match maybe? I dunno.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
      Sakurai will attend in a power ranger helmet as Opponent X. He will use Mario and score all kos with Fludd

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
      Yeah, a Nintendo Direct is fine with me. I don't see what the fuss is honestly. As long as they have good announcements it will be fine. Don't forget that last year they pretty much announced everything a few months early and that's mainly why it wasn't as great.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
      Warlock82 wrote: »
      Yeah, a Nintendo Direct is fine with me. I don't see what the fuss is honestly. As long as they have good announcements it will be fine. Don't forget that last year they pretty much announced everything a few months early and that's mainly why it wasn't as great.

Besides, we know Zelda's getting announced so people will be going apeshit for that anyway.

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
      Yoshi.

Pichu.

This isnt an opinion. Its pure fact. Pichu has never ever moved from its bottom teir spot in melee

Yoshi.

Pichu.

This isnt an opinion. Its pure fact. Pichu has never ever moved from its bottom teir spot in melee
      I seriously hope Pichu is finally gone this time. Such a dumb character :p

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
      Yoshi.

Pichu.

Pichu wasn't in Brawl though. So it's already gone

Nintendo Console Codes
      PM Me if you add me!
      HAIL HYDRA
      Yoshi.

Pichu.

He evolved into Pikachu in brawl

edited April 2014
      Maz- wrote: »
      I hope they all use Fox.

I do wonder how they're gonna handle character selection because they definitely don't want 16 Foxes.

They definitely wanna show off the new characters, but obviously none of the players are familiar with them.
      Random characters in every match maybe? I dunno.

I gotta imagine the players would also be interested in the new characters. There's no way of telling who would be a good character in a new version based on the past, in melee fox is great but in brawl he's just C tier.

If there was a tournament at the Brawl E4All event, the best choice would have been the newcomer meta knight, who was nerfed from that version and is still the highest tier character in brawl.

BlueBlue on
      CD World Tour status:
      skeldare wrote: »
      Yoshi.

Pichu.

Pichu wasn't in Brawl though. So it's already gone

He wasn't? Then nevermind :p Damn my memory is bad...

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      I've had child of light on for the past 20 minutes just for the music

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
        ALL I REQUEST, Absolutely ALL I REQUEST of this E3 is that one of the "treehouse gaming experts" doing the livestream ISN'T Audrey Drake.
        I will explode.

NNID: Quical
        STEAM: Quical
        Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
        ALL I REQUEST, Absolutely ALL I REQUEST of this E3 is that one of the "treehouse gaming experts" doing the livestream ISN'T Audrey Drake.
        I will explode.

I don't know no Audrey Drake, what is the problem. What is the context.

edited April 2014
        I will explode.

I don't know no Audrey Drake, what is the problem. What is the context.

She used to work at IGN reviewing Nintendo games and now is working at the Nintendo Treehouse. I liked her but apparently people thought she was too much of a fangirl. Which shouldn't be an issue in this context...

skeldare on
        Nintendo Console Codes
        PM Me if you add me!
        HAIL HYDRA
        I will explode.

So, you'll be fine with any amount of Audrey Drake as long as even one of the people isn't? Alright.

Also, you've conjured the mental image of Treehouse being staffed entirely by clones of this Audrey Drake person, with one non-Audrey individual quietly trying to do work without being noticed by the Audrey collective.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
        Im of two minds about no keynote. On one hand, while it's debatable how much a keynote will help, it probably wouldn't hurt. On the other hand, anything that takes the wind out of the sales of game "journalists" is more than welcome in my book.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
        Steam: pazython
        Honestly Quical said it best above.

They're eliminating the possibility of on-stage flubs and embarrassing moments. They can stop those Ravi drums and Skyward demo moments before they start.

They control the broadcast themselves, and thus the post-conference show as well. Last year I remember that I wasn't even fully aware when the conference was over because it led right into more interviews and talk about the games. The gaming industry doesn't get to immediately generate its own narrative. Everyone who just saw the stream is still in Nintendo's ecosystem, if they don't close the video it just keeps going!

They're using the live stage instead for a huge gaming tournament which is just awesome.

QuicalLBD_Nytetrayn
      • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular