As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android: Netrunner] Creating and Controlling since 2012

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    They spend about 5-7 minutes discussing strategy and their initial thoughts on each card.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    First impressions are generally neat, but I've got to agree. I don't really want to hear what they're excited about or frowning upon, I'd rather wait a few weeks or months and let some actual playtime sort those out to some degree.

Probably a vestige from my years as a Magic player, kind of spoiled having an absurdly large community and not being able to go more than a few weeks without X tournament being reported on and shifting the metagame.

But yeah, up there with podcasts on 'things I'm beginning to think are indicators that I'm getting old and set in my ways'. Just no interest.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I quite enjoy podcasts! They are great for when you are doing other activities like driving, going to the gym, or playing simple games. Them and audio books.

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    To me, podcasts are like old-style radio shows, and I loved those as a kid. Have them be about something I'm really interested in, and you've got yourself a listener right here!

• Options
    sartorisartori WA, USARegistered User regular
    Podcasts are a great way to mitigate the frustration of my commute :P Also, yes audio books

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    I'm curious about something. Noise decks tend to be virus-heavy, right? I was browsing through some decks online and noticed that almost no-one includes Chakana in their decks.

To me, it seems like a really good card to go with what Noise (I think) wants to do, which is slow the game down, build his rig and virus counters, and make running ice trivial. It seems like it would make fast-advance a harder strategy since less can be scored from hand, even with SanSan/Biotic. It's a virus, so it triggers Noise's ability, can be searched for (and hosted) with Djinn, paid for with Cyberfeeders, etc.

Is it simply too slow? Too unrelated to what Noise/a runner is doing?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    My guess is that it is not directly related to what noise is doing, it takes a bit too long to build up (zero effect until you get three counters) and it gets wiped out during a virus purge which is going to be happening to noise anyway, and then you have to build it again.

I would love to see people play and use more anti fast advanced tech (and hope to see more come out in the future). Maybe someone can figure out something using Chakana, The Source (using Aesop's to trash the source at the start of your turn, so you don't suffer the penalty, scoring an agenda, and then getting The Source back into play either via you hand or some kind of recursion seems hilarious) and other cards they add later.

With Jinteki getting a pretty good seeming fast advance identity in the near future we might start seeing more counterplay, who knows.

Edit: Oh, also because personal workshop is already 4 out of faction points (I assume Noise still loves personal workshops?).

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Chakana being wiped is a huge vulnerability, compared to something like The Source. Plus, it costs influence, which would probably be better spent on other cards.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Probably, though I am not entirely sure why Personal Workshop is so popular with Noise in particular. Any ideas about that?

• Options
    Stimhack. :)

The idea is that you load all your viruses on Personal Workshop. Then, run archives, and use the creds from Stimhack to pull them all off in one huge sweep, killing shit and milling without the corp having time to react, creating a massive glorious run. It's now much harder, as there are some hard counters that have made Noise fall out of favor.

Stimhack + Clone Chip/SMC is still quite popular.

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Also, Personal Workshop lets you selectively mill the corp.

Example. You ran RND and saw three cards. Your turn ends.

Let's say you saw:
    Hedge Fund
    SEA Source
    Popup Window

Weylund's got a ton of money, so not much to be gained by milling the hedge fund. However, you're pretty sure that they've got a scorched earth in their hand, and since you ran last time, that's going to kill you. So, they draw for their turn, then you pay a credit or two to bring out a virus from your shop. They don't have the chance to draw SEA Source, and you live to run another day.

Noiseshop is still really good, in my opinion. Jackson Howard just brought it more in line with other decks.

• Options
    Personal Workshop gives all sorts of neat utility, tricks, and efficiency to Noise (there may very well be better alternatives now).

This article gives a pretty exhaustive list of neat stuff you can do with it:

http://stimhack.com/12-awesome-things-that-personal-workshop-does-for-noise/

I think its definitely worth a read, especially as a new player like me, because it opened my eyes to a lot of possible card interactions I may not have realized at first.

Like being able to install a parasite mid run, in response to the corp rezzing it, and then potentially data suckers to blow up that ice on that same run without even breaking it.

It's good stuff!

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Clone chip or self-modifying code are more popular ways to play parasite mid-run.

If you want to see a chakana source deck, I posted one a page or two ago

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Clone chip or self-modifying code are more popular ways to play parasite mid-run.

Right, but see, I meant a good deck.
    That deck looks fun! <3

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Right, but see, I meant a good deck.
    That deck looks fun! <3

Just to defend, Pup's deck was actually pretty competent. Well, either that or I'm really bad at corp. Coin flip call, that one.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    So the corp deck I'm playing at the moment.
    I feel pretty fucking dirty.

Scoring the last 3 points is incredibly easy with a shutdown combo.

However, if I have an astroscript scored(or a sansan on the table), a jackson on the table, a shutdown and 2 diagnostics (sounds like a lot to have, but it really isn't that uncommon to draw into more than one diagnostics) I can score 5 points in a turn from having 3 credits (9 if I need to rez the sansan).

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    I think I asked before we started the new thread and then forgot...

Is there any interest in a small tournament? I was thinking 4 rounds of swiss... We would need 8 people minimum...

Thoughts?

• Options
    Cerberus wrote: »
    I think I asked before we started the new thread and then forgot...

Is there any interest in a small tournament? I was thinking 4 rounds of swiss... We would need 8 people minimum...

Thoughts?

In.

• Options
    A notice to all!

As I have now mentioned in the guidepost, Steam is very useful for finding games. If, like me, you hang on there while you're online, please do start adding us - we're all pretty easy to find.

Start with me. Same name. My icon is a black and white hacker symbol. Then fight me.

Now.

• Options
    Wow.

What's it say when the local champion player joins a facebook group and their first action is to point out all the reasons why you are wrong about a card?

I've noticed he does this a lot - there is no black or white. There's no possibility of growth or "maybe in the future," or looking for interesting combos. Nope. The card is just bad, and you are bad for talking about it.

• Options
    He's an asshole?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Pretty much. I've had to call him out before, actually.

See, we have a general LCG facebook group for the area, because we don't have enough players for any one game. Well, on more than one occasion he's insulted the other LCGs as inferior and stupid, or implied other players were shit. While I don't disagree with some of the things he is saying (in reference to cards/playstyles), the way he says them is highly insulting and demeaning. I know that a lot of my friends would swing by the store more if he wasn't around. OTOH, he's the guy who always wins everything or organizes everything, which... ugh. It makes it tough. We need more people willing to play with newbies, and more people in the midrange. We need more people in general.

Athenor on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tayrun wrote: »
    You all need to confirm for me your OCTGN usernames and your timezones please.

Bogart, GMT

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »

See, we have a general LCG facebook group for the area, because we don't have enough players for any one game. Well, on more than one occasion he's insulted the other LCGs as inferior and stupid, or implied other players were shit. While I don't disagree with some of the things he is saying (in reference to cards/playstyles), the way he says them is highly insulting and demeaning. I know that a lot of my friends would swing by the store more if he wasn't around. OTOH, he's the guy who always wins everything or organizes everything, which... ugh. It makes it tough. We need more people willing to play with newbies, and more people in the midrange. We need more people in general.

My sympathies. :(

Shit like this makes me really appreciate my local group. I was about to say there's no assholes that play there, but there's probably one - me.

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular

Shit like this makes me really appreciate my local group. I was about to say there's no assholes that play there, but there's probably one - me.

You'd be more of one if you were better at the game too ;)

(Love you really)

• Options

(Love you really)

Them's fighting words, jello-pop!

You. Me. OCTGN. No items. Fox only. Final Destination.

• Options

(Love you really)

Them's fighting words, jello-pop!

You. Me. OCTGN. No items. Fox only. Final Destination.

Oh god this takes me back

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I caught myself on the verge of acting like that asshole on facebook when one of our newer players was trying to run a 65+ card shaper deck. There is no way in hell I think running a deck like that is a good idea, but halfway through trying to explain this to him I decided to cut myself short and just let it go. I don't want to be that guy, especially since I am one of the more proactive players trying to grow my local community. People like the FB guy are a big reason why I will never get back into magic. :P

sartori on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I mean there are probably good ways to handle that. Maybe after the game you say something like "That was fun. Have you considered running a smaller deck? A lot of players try to have the smallest deck they can so that blah blah blah"

Oh also I installed OCTGN and registered. Same name. PST. I'm brand new to the game and want to learn how to use the starter decks in the core set.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    You on now, @Denada? I have a hair over an hour, if you want the basics.

• Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    You on now, @Denada? I have a hair over an hour, if you want the basics.

I was just going to log on but then our server guy asked me to add something to our dmz, and then I have to meet some people to talk to a contractor about cabling runs, so I'm not going to be on after all. Ugh.

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    That's ok, I'll be on later tonight if you'll be around.

• Options
    Ok, so @Inquisitor or @Denada: I am on OCTGN if either of you want to try a game.

• Options
    @Tayrun Just installed OCTGN, Australian Western Standard Time GMT +8

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    hee hee

runner ran my chum + data raven, faeried the data raven, took a tag

i didn't react with jaho

he trashed jaho

removed the tag

and then i did SEA + SE + SE

and he really wished he had one of those three credits back

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    so, I've been speculating about Honor and Profit

one of the things we know about it is that Jinteki will finally be getting at least one in-faction 5/3 agenda

and I've been thinking about what sort of thing I'd like this card to do

what I would like to see is a permanent ability, similar to Weyland's The Cleaners agenda, that makes Jinteki better at doing net damage after it's been scored

now, I think "whenever you do net damage, do 1 additional net damage" would certainly be too good

I'm also thinking that any Nisei-esque token-activated ability would probably be too good

how bout y'all

who wants to speculate baselessly with me

• Options
    How about, "The first time you do net damage in a turn, do 1 additional net damage." That way, it's not always-on, and the runner can predict it, but it still makes attacks deadlier.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    That just seems far too terrifying with their core set ID. Every stolen or scored agenda would be 2 net damage, fetal AI would be 4 net damage.

Also that agenda would make neural EMP terrifying.

Baseless speculation for the 5/3 Jinteki agenda?

Put X agenda counters on this card (not sure what would be a good number for X)

Hosted Agenda Counter: Prevent 1 card from being exposed.

Maybe too weak? But I feel like exposing is going to become more and more of a thing.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    that's not strong enough for a 5/3

maybe a 4/2

or a 3/2 that has to be overadvanced

• Options
    I mean, nobody seems to play with Net Shield or anything like that, but if there was a Plascrete Carapace approximate equivalent for net damage, I could see my suggestion being valid.

Maybe limit it to "The first time a runner takes net damage during a run, they take 1 additional net damage." That way it puts the onus of damage on the runner, and does make the first agenda in a turn they steal from Personal Evolution (assuming no ice encounters) do two points. It would definitely discourage multiple runs, which benefits (obliquely) Replicating Perfection too, since they have to make two runs to hit remotes. And it doesn't make scoring agendas or Neural EMP too strong, since those still would do only one point under PE.