As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need some stylus recommendations

jesstterrjesstterr Registered User regular
New poster here. Just got an ipad air and would love to do some digital work on it with a stylus but am having a really hard time finding a good one. I'd love something with a fine point as to be really accurate, but everything seems to either be a broad tip stylus or even worse not work at all. I'm just looking for anyone who has used a stylus for working on a tablet or even better anyone with an air to give some recommendations or even better some examples. Any input into a good new stylus would be very appreciated.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I don't think that there are any fin point stylus out there for the iPad. I've seen it for the Surface, though.

• Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    The iPad has only a capacitive touchscreen, like most touch devices. These require about a fingertip's worth of touch to work, which is why all the styluses have fat tips. The microsoft surface is unique because it features a wacom sensor (a totally different technology) which enables pressure sensitivity and more precision. Wacom sensors require a specialized stylus that won't work on ordinary touchscreens.

That said, these might be what you want. They have a funny little disc on the end but the pen itself has a fine tip.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    This is a brush which works on ipads - not a fine point either I'm afraid but maybe useful if you weren't aware of it

sensu brush

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Wacom is sorta the go-to for a lot of folks. I've been looking at this: Wacom Intuous Creative Stylus. Since as some others have mentioned, the iPad screen isn't pressure sensitive, the bluetooth stylus itself is instead. I just want to get my hands on it before I buy and haven't seen them at any brick and mortars around here. I'd be curious if anyone else has had a chance.

I currently use a super simple Wacom Bamboo stylus on my iPad and it's not too bad for rough sketching layouts and such. Not going to be doing any detail work any time soon, but definitely serviceable for storyboarding/layouts/etc., I think it's going to be too simplistic for your needs.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    jesstterr wrote: »
    New poster here. Just got an ipad air and would love to do some digital work on it with a stylus but am having a really hard time finding a good one. I'd love something with a fine point as to be really accurate, but everything seems to either be a broad tip stylus or even worse not work at all. I'm just looking for anyone who has used a stylus for working on a tablet or even better anyone with an air to give some recommendations or even better some examples. Any input into a good new stylus would be very appreciated.

I went through this a few months ago. You can buy "fine point" styli, but "really accurate" is not going to happen quite the way you are hoping for.
    Agentflit wrote: »
    these might be what you want. They have a funny little disc on the end but the pen itself has a fine tip.

These (or styli like them) are indeed what you want. They're pretty much your only choice for "accuracy" beyond the mushy-rubber-blob tip stylus that is the norm.
    Agentflit wrote: »
    The iPad has only a capacitive touchscreen, like most touch devices. These require about a fingertip's worth of touch to work, which is why all the styluses have fat tips.

And this is why "really accurate" is probably not going to happen quite the way you are hoping for. Even with one of these "fine point" styli, the capacitive touchscreen isn't really accurate. Using just such a stylus as linked above, placing it on the screen invariably caused the registered point of contact with my idevices to be about half the radius of the little plastic disk away from center, always. Essentially, the tip of my pen was always about 3 mm away from where the drawing happened. It'd be like picking up a pencil and always seeing the line appear half a letter to the left.

The good news was, it was always off in the same direction. At least, for me.

TL;DR - If you want accuracy on your ipad, this is the best option, and it's better than a normal stylus, but "accurate" is misleading.

Cog on