Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 5E] Barrowtown - A 5E PbP (Game's done! Post-game discussion is open!)

145791024

Posts

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I'll assume you're going to chase the shadow, because otherwise we'll probably be sitting here for another week.

    Your abundance of caution when dealing with the kobolds didn't work out too well, so this time the four of you decide to be quick about things. You run after the figure, turning the corner to find a large room with a pit in the middle. Two fires on the opposite side of the room cast shifting shadows on the walls, and you quickly realize that the person you were chasing is one of the goblins that is for some bizarre reason hanging around in an ancient dwarven barrow. He and his allies draw their weapons upon seeing you, and start yelling angrily in goblin.

    Roll Initiative!

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    "Dammit Geoffrey!"

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Intiative

    Intiative:
    1d20+3 5 [1d20=2]

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    "Remember, today's goal is to not get hit a bunch."

    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Intiative

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    "It wasn't me!"


    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Initiative

    Initiative:
    1d20+3 19 [1d20=16]

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    "If he hadn't given chase, I would've," Sophia says, attempting to back Geoffrey up. "Also this place is really weird."

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Initiative

    IKknkhU.gif
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Come on, Geth. I even matched Tox's phrasing.

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for initiative.

    EDIT: Geth, you asshole.

    initiative:
    1d20+3 9 [1d20=6]

    Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    It's because you have the color tag and roll on the same lines. Tox's response has the color /color tag on separate lines than the roll.

    Elvenshae
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Okay let's do this again

    Geth roll 1d20-1 for initiative

    initiative:
    1d20-1 19 [1d20=20]

    ToxElvenshae
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Round 1

    The goblins stand with their weapons ready, still yelling what you assume are insults and challenges. They're standing in front of a large wall that is mostly featureless except for a series of levers. But that can wait. Fighting first, puzzles second.

    enc03-round1.jpg
    The pit is 20 feet deep. You probably don't want to fall into it.

    Halath - HP 12/12; AC 14
    Loc: A5; Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 9/9; AC 18
    Loc: B5; Status: Normal.
    Goblin Boss - HP 18/18; AC 14
    Loc: D17; Status: Normal.
    Goblin 1 - HP 3/3; AC 13
    Loc: B14; Status: Normal.
    Goblin 2 - HP 3/3; AC 13
    Loc: G16; Status: Normal.
    ??? - ???
    Loc: ???; Status: Hidden.
    Sophia - HP 8/8; AC 14
    Loc: C5; Status: Normal.
    Geoffrey - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: D5; Status: Normal.

    Up First: @Nealneal‌

    Denada on
    Elvenshae
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Halath draws his longbow and snaps off a shot at the goblin in charge.

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for To Hit vs Goblin Boss
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Damage

    To Hit vs Goblin Boss:
    1d20+4 6 [1d20=2]
    Damage:
    1d8+3 5 [1d8=2]

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Theresa Takes a few steps forward drawing a javelin and then hurling it at the nearest Goblin.

    Move To: B9
    Geth roll 1d20+3 for To Hit Goblin 1
    Geth roll 1d6+3 for Hopefully Damage

    To Hit Goblin 1:
    1d20+3 23 [1d20=20]
    Hopefully Damage:
    1d6+3 6 [1d6=3]

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Whoops, mixed up strength and wisdom somehow. that should all be +2, not that it really matters, -5 is just as dead as -6.
    Either way @Denada it is goblin boss time.

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    I'm...very confused. Did I not roll the highest initiative in the party?

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Oops, yeah you did. I must have typed it in wrong or something. Take your turn now and then I'll move you to the top next round.

    Edit: Oh I see what happened. Your initiative and Halath's initiative got switched around. Sorry about that.

    Denada on
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Is that thing in the middle of the room a pit or some sort of raised floor? In either case, how far up/down is it?

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    You run after the figure, turning the corner to find a large room with a pit in the middle.
    Denada wrote: »
    The pit is 20 feet deep. You probably don't want to fall into it.

    Tox
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Pulling his crossbow, Geoffrey takes a shot at the other goblin flanking the boss, hoping the obviously superior numbers will give the team an advantage.


    Geth roll 1d20+4 for crossbow attack
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for crossbow damage

    After the goblin goes down, Geoffrey advances on the boss, skirting the pit to verify it's depth, hoping to find it empty, except perhaps a prisoner or two.
    Move: D5-D7; D7-B9; B9-B10

    crossbow attack:
    1d20+4 23 [1d20=19]
    crossbow damage:
    1d8+3 6 [1d8=3]

    Tox on
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Elvenshae
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The goblin boss fires back with his own bow, taking Sophia down with a single shot. He then moves toward one of the fires, trying to keep his distance from you.

    GB attacks Sophia with his shortbow (with advantage), critically hitting for 11 damage. GB then moves to J17.

    A moment later another goblin steps out of the shadows and smoke, firing an arrow at Geoffrey. If Geoffrey was two feet taller he would probably be dead, but instead he just hears the clatter of an arrow striking the wall.

    G3 attacks Geoffrey with his shortbow (with advantage), but misses. G3 then moves to L12.

    @Stilts, please make a death roll for Sophia.


    Round 2

    enc03-round2.jpg

    Geoffrey - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: D5; Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 9/9; AC 18
    Loc: B9; Status: Normal.
    Goblin Boss - HP 18/18; AC 14
    Loc: J17; Status: Normal.
    Goblin 3 - HP 3/3; AC 13
    Loc: L12; Status: Normal.
    Sophia - HP -3/8; AC 14
    Loc: C5; Status: Dying (0/0).
    Halath - HP 12/12; AC 14
    Loc: A5; Status: Normal.

    Up Next: @Tox

  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Oh hey, a notification? Is it time for me to do someth--

    Oh.

    Nevermind.

    Geth roll 1d20 for death save

    death save:
    1d20 8 [1d20=8]

    IKknkhU.gif
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I do just want to say that it actually bothers me how often you players are being taken out of the action before you get a chance to do anything. It seems to me like your initiative roll is the single most important roll of any combat encounter, at least at early levels.

    If I lose a goblin in one hit, that's no big deal. I have more. But when you have to spend most (if not all) of an encounter doing nothing and a significant portion of your resources getting back to the point you were at before you didn't do anything, that bugs me. And these aren't even hard encounters. I'm pretty sure if I gave you a Hard encounter it would be a TPK in three rounds at the most.

    am0nElvenshaeThe SauceAegeri
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    I do just want to say that it actually bothers me how often you players are being taken out of the action before you get a chance to do anything. It seems to me like your initiative roll is the single most important roll of any combat encounter, at least at early levels.

    If I lose a goblin in one hit, that's no big deal. I have more. But when you have to spend most (if not all) of an encounter doing nothing and a significant portion of your resources getting back to the point you were at before you didn't do anything, that bugs me. And these aren't even hard encounters. I'm pretty sure if I gave you a Hard encounter it would be a TPK in three rounds at the most.

    We already nearly had a TPK with those blasted kobolds.

    IKknkhU.gif
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Yeah I don't feel like we had these sorts of problems when my group played it, but we only played one session at 1st level, then promptly bumped up to higher stuff. This is kind of nuts (not you Denada, the system in general).

    Also I will take my turn tomorrow. I just got home and need sleep.

    Tox on
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Geoffrey scowls as his friend is knocked out yet again. "This is getting old" he offers, loading another bolt and taking a shot at the goblin boss.


    Geth roll 1d20+4 for crossbow attack
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for crossbow damage

    crossbow attack:
    1d20+4 8 [1d20=4]
    crossbow damage:
    1d8+3 10 [1d8=7]

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    I do just want to say that it actually bothers me how often you players are being taken out of the action before you get a chance to do anything. It seems to me like your initiative roll is the single most important roll of any combat encounter, at least at early levels.

    If I lose a goblin in one hit, that's no big deal. I have more. But when you have to spend most (if not all) of an encounter doing nothing and a significant portion of your resources getting back to the point you were at before you didn't do anything, that bugs me. And these aren't even hard encounters. I'm pretty sure if I gave you a Hard encounter it would be a TPK in three rounds at the most.

    This is one thing I think 4E did very right; it essentially boosted Level 1 characters to what other editions called Level 3, so that while the big baddies had more HP, too, you could at least get a few rounds in before things started falling.

    Elvenshae
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Theresa moves over to Sophia, laying a hand on her quickly to get her back up, then moves to hurl another javelin.

    "I thought we agreed we wouldn't be doing that today."

    Move to C6 cast Spare the Dying to get Sophia back to one hp. then finish moving to D7, where i then draw and throw a javelin at G3

    Geth roll2d20l1+2 For Ranged Attack at Disadvantage against D3
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for Miracles coming true and damage happening.
    @‌Denada

    Miracles coming true and damage happening:
    1d6+2 3 [1d6=1]

  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    damn it, i triple checked for stuff and i missed spacing.
    Geth roll 2d20l1+2 For Ranged Attack at Disadvantage against D3

    Ranged Attack at Disadvantage against D3:
    2d20l1+2 9 [2d20l1=[7], 8]

    Elvenshae
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The goblins focus their attention on Theresa, but only one of their arrows actually does anything effective.

    GB shoots an arrow at Theresa, but misses.

    G3 shoots an arrow at Theresa, hitting for 3 piercing damage.

    Geoffrey - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: B10; Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 6/9; AC 18
    Loc: D7; Status: Normal.
    Goblin Boss - HP 18/18; AC 14
    Loc: J17; Status: Normal.
    Goblin 3 - HP 3/3; AC 13
    Loc: L12; Status: Normal.
    Sophia - HP 1/8; AC 14
    Loc: C5; Status: Prone.
    Halath - HP 12/12; AC 14
    Loc: A5; Status: Normal.

    Up Next: @Stilts

  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Sophia glances at the arrow lodged in her chest and then look back up at Theresa.

    "Yes, well, projectiles seem to just be very attracted to me today."

    She uses the wall as a support as she gets back up, then takes out her bow and fires a shot at the remaining goblin minion.



    Geth roll 1d20+4 for ranged attack against D3
    Geth roll 1d6+3 for damage

    EDIT: I FINALLY DO SOMETHING USEFUL IN COMBAT!

    ranged attack against D3:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]
    damage:
    1d6+3 6 [1d6=3]

    Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    am0nElvenshae
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Halath moves forward and fires an arrow at the Goblin Boss, striking true for once.

    "I hate goblins."

    Move to C10
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for To Hit Goblin Boss
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Damage

    To Hit Goblin Boss:
    1d20+4 23 [1d20=19]
    Damage:
    1d8+3 7 [1d8=4]

    Nealneal on
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Geoffrey wastes no time on wit, reloading and firing off another bolt from his crossbow.


    Geth roll 1d20+4 for crossbow attack
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for crossbow damage

    crossbow attack:
    1d20+4 12 [1d20=8]
    crossbow damage:
    1d8+3 4 [1d8=1]

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Theresa disregards her own injury as she tries to move in closer, throwing her last javelin at the goblin boss.

    Move to: I7
    Geth roll 2d20l1+2 For Ranged Attack at Disadvantage against GB
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for Damage

    Ranged Attack at Disadvantage against GB:
    2d20l1+2 7 [2d20l1=[5], 6]
    Damage:
    1d6+2 3 [1d6=1]

    The Sauce
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Sorry for the long wait. I was on vacation. I'm back now.

    For some reason the goblin boss doesn't seem the least bit put off by the death of his allies. He simply fires another arrow, taking Theresa down just like he had done with Sophia moments before.

    GB attacks Theresa with his short bow, hitting for 7 damage.

    enc03-round3.jpg

    Geoffrey - HP 7/7; AC 15
    Loc: B10; Status: Normal.
    Theresa - HP 0/9; AC 18
    Loc: I7; Status: Dying (0/0).
    Goblin Boss - HP 11/18; AC 14
    Loc: J17; Status: Normal.
    Sophia - HP 1/8; AC 14
    Loc: C5; Status: Normal.
    Halath - HP 12/12; AC 14
    Loc: C10; Status: Normal.

    Up Next: @Stilts

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Sorry. I was over at a friend's house.

    "Oh, crap, there goes our lifeline," Sophia says. "We better wrap this up quick."

    She runs over to Theresa's side, then fires an arrow at the leader.

    Move to H6

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for attack on goblin leader
    Geth roll 1d6+3 for damage

    attack:
    1d20+4 10 [1d20=6]
    damage:
    1d6+3 4 [1d6=1]

    IKknkhU.gif
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Whoops, almost forgot @nealneal

    IKknkhU.gif
    Nealneal
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Halath nocks another arrow and fires as he moves closer to the goblin boss.

    Move to D15
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for To Hit Goblin Boss
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Damage

    To Hit Goblin Boss:
    1d20+4 20 [1d20=16]
    Damage:
    1d8+3 5 [1d8=2]

  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
Sign In or Register to comment.