As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starbound] Has actually released!

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Unlocked the player-station module. They put a lot of work into this and it shows. Building the station isn't super costly, but adding on to it is. You can also turn the gravity on and off which is amusing. This looks to be a big multiplayer feature to me because upgrading is so costly and it gives you and your mates an end-gameish goal to work towards. The station has a teleporter right off the bat and I'd be really interested in getting a big colony going on one.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Alright, 1.3, the Spacefarer Update, is now live! I played with some of it on the unstable branch and I liked what I saw with the mechs and space travel and the space station and all that, so I'm super excited this is out on the stable branch now. Here's a little trailer for it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX3Mvvm5vRI

JtgVX0H.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Have they said how long they plan to keep updating Starbound?

Not that they owe us more, just kind of curious if this is going to be one of those things like how Red handles Terraria where he'll take big breaks and then put something together.

(I assume thats how he's still doing it, still out of the loop on that game lately but heard about an update not too long ago)

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Have they said how long they plan to keep updating Starbound?

Not that they owe us more, just kind of curious if this is going to be one of those things like how Red handles Terraria where he'll take big breaks and then put something together.

(I assume thats how he's still doing it, still out of the loop on that game lately but heard about an update not too long ago)

As far as I know they haven't said anything about their future plans for Starbound. I would hope they would continue to support it with more updates, as more content is always nice. However, the modding community is pretty great and there's a lot of really neat and cool mods out there that add new races, weapons, blocks, ships, music, mechanics, you name it and it probably exists.

So with the latest update I've been progressing slowly, trying to earn enough parts to build new mech pieces. I don't think I'll be able to upgrade though until I start getting durasteel, and right now I'm still at the titanium tier of ores. That's okay though, because I'm playing as a custom race, the avikan, and their early gear doesn't require ore, it requires monster bones and skin and stuff (gotten by killing enemies with special bone hunting spears and the like), so I'll have lots of the early game ores. Speaking of early game ores, asteroid belts are amazing for mining copper, silver, and gold. I haven't built a station yet, but apparently they require a lot of materials like gold and titanium, and I can find entire asteroids made up of gold. I can also take the copper and silver and smelt them down for credits, then use those credits to buy the titanium bars I need.

Using the new mechs to mine ore on planets is also really awesome. The basic mech drill really tears through dirt and stone, and if you swap out the rifle arm for another drill then it gets even sillier. Plus the default mech is pretty sturdy versus the lower tier planet's monsters so I can just fuck around with impunity at the moment. I just wish the mech had a headlight of some sort, but other than that it's pretty great.

JtgVX0H.png
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dang I forgot how slow the start to this game was. You're stuck on that first planet for-goddamn-ever.

Aistan wrote: »
    Dang I forgot how slow the start to this game was. You're stuck on that first planet for-goddamn-ever.

Yeah, this is the first time in awhile I haven't just admin'd my way through all that. I'm still tempted to cheat a bit since I need lots of iron ore for avikan stuff (they have two metals, a light one made with iron ore and loose silt and a dark one made with iron ore and coal, so I'll need a fuckload of iron ore), but I think I'll be fine for now. At worst I'll see if there's a mod that adds iron ore to the asteroids.

JtgVX0H.png

I saw it in the patch notes but I thought it was a joke. That'll show me for assuming! :rotate:

JtgVX0H.png
    Hope I get super into the game again like I did the last time I played. Those saves have been lost to time though so I have to start over.

RIP Floran Butterfly Space-Bear Princess
    E1C1150E16FCCC06A3683DEE4428292D0CDA3B52

Christ.

My ship is a cramped nightmare.

I really need to just build a giant warehouse on my main planet for the time being and just get it over with.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Hope I get super into the game again like I did the last time I played. Those saves have been lost to time though so I have to start over.

RIP Floran Butterfly Space-Bear Princess
    E1C1150E16FCCC06A3683DEE4428292D0CDA3B52

Not sure saves work. Mine were wonky af, at any rate. Couldn't teleport down to a planet, couldn't seem to zoom the nav map in or do anything with the ships/planets I flew to.

My kingdom for a planet of nothing but iron ore.

Having grand plans suck when you realize you're going to need an ungodly amount of building materials to act on them.

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

Having grand plans suck when you realize you're going to need an ungodly amount of building materials to act on them.

What are you building?

I started a new Glitch with a custom ship and I've picked up my first two crew members and got the first expansion to the ship. I'm still in the starting system and I have a nice farm/homestead setup on the first planet. I still have one planet in this system to explore and a USCM prison to clear out on the desert world I'm currently on. Still need to get my first mech as well!

Shogun on
    Shogun wrote: »

What are you building?

I started a new Glitch with a custom ship and I've picked up my first two crew members and got the first expansion to the ship. I'm still in the starting system and I have a nice farm/homestead setup on the first planet. I still have one planet in this system to explore and a USCM prison to clear out on the desert world I'm currently on. Still need to get my first mech as well!

Definitely get that mech! It'll help a lot with mining and killing monsters on the lower level planets if nothing else

JtgVX0H.png
    Darmak wrote: »

What are you building?

Definitely get that mech! It'll help a lot with mining and killing monsters on the lower level planets if nothing else

Mechs usually run out of power or find a hill they cant get over. I've got tungsten armor and found pretty good weapons so far. No fabulous guns yet though.

edited June 2017

What are you building?

A giant garish yellow and green dyed tower.

First large scale thing I ever really decided to take a shot at in Starbound. Probably going to look terrible and (renovated a lot over time) at first but gotta start somewhere.

Feels good to have long term building goals in games like this though.

Dr. Chaos on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited June 2017

Are you spacefaring yet? Warp to a system with an asteroid belt, deploy in your mech and savor the early-tier ore heaven.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited June 2017
    Ianator wrote: »

Are you spacefaring yet? Warp to a system with an asteroid belt, deploy in your mech and savor the early-tier ore heaven.

No iron in asteroids that I've found, just copper, silver, and gold. If there is iron then I'm the unluckiest person on the planet.

Speaking of mining, I saw someone on reddit mention they mine titanium by dropping their mech into ocean worlds and going to town on the seabed. Gonna try that when I get home.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    There was one mech from that XS-Mechs mod that was just the best mining tool in the game. Had a big laser that did massive damage to blocks.

• TakelTakel Registered User regular

No iron in asteroids that I've found, just copper, silver, and gold. If there is iron then I'm the unluckiest person on the planet.

Speaking of mining, I saw someone on reddit mention they mine titanium by dropping their mech into ocean worlds and going to town on the seabed. Gonna try that when I get home.

Asteroids by default (ie not modded) are Copper, Silver and Gold. Which is a bit odd IMHO since they really should have a lot of iron but whatever... I haven't found Iron to be a particularly limiting resource for normal progression.

I think the next character I make, if I make another one, will skip the breathing EPPs because the mech can do space and underwater mining. Which includes the very important (IMHO) moon mining for FTL fuel.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    Takel wrote: »

Asteroids by default (ie not modded) are Copper, Silver and Gold. Which is a bit odd IMHO since they really should have a lot of iron but whatever... I haven't found Iron to be a particularly limiting resource for normal progression.

I think the next character I make, if I make another one, will skip the breathing EPPs because the mech can do space and underwater mining. Which includes the very important (IMHO) moon mining for FTL fuel.

True, but the mech can't vacuum up the liquid fuel. I guess you could hop out, vacuum some up, then hop back in the mech before your air ran out.

JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2017
    I'm playing a Floran again because I am boring. I have a very important question though:

Can you eat colonists somehow?

Like, a Floran with a cool ship shows up and invites you to join her new colony. It's a farm!

You should say no, but for the people who don't...

Is that possible?

Aistan on
    Not by default. There might be a mod for that though... :rotate:

JtgVX0H.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Not by default. There might be a mod for that though... :rotate:

You could probably mod a colonist type /merchant who pays you in meat then changes their appearance after the interaction.

On reddit I found a person that made a cute space bakery, and besides their character's custom hair that they supposedly sprited themselves, it's 100% vanilla.

25v556tbu33z.png

JtgVX0H.png
    It's hard to be a carnivore out there is all. Farming is super easy whereas hunting for meat is a pain in the ass.

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Picked this up last night.

I'm alarmed at how utterly doomed I am as a result of that.

Has anyone had any luck with multiplayer? Friend and I are trying to play together but while the host is fine the guest gets a crazy amount of lag, up to actions/chat taking a minute to resolve.

We can play other games just fine, this is the only one with that sort of connectivity issue.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Has anyone had any luck with multiplayer? Friend and I are trying to play together but while the host is fine the guest gets a crazy amount of lag, up to actions/chat taking a minute to resolve.

We can play other games just fine, this is the only one with that sort of connectivity issue.

I talked someone across an ocean from me into putting up a server (he's running it off some french-based cloud hosting thing IIRC), sometimes NPC movement gets super wonky for a bit, but it's been plenty playable.

Best guess I can come up with is that the hosting computer may not have the oomph to do servery things at decent speeds, have you tried switching who hosts?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    What the...you can get ship upgrades for free by accumulating crew?! I wasted so many pixels!

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Wyvern wrote: »
    What the...you can get ship upgrades for free by accumulating crew?! I wasted so many pixels!

Yeah! You still gotta bring upgrade modules to the dude, but there's no pixel cost! Of course, I find it's easier for me to just buy the licences than it is to recruit crewmembers.

JtgVX0H.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    The hard part about getting crew is finding a glitch settlement so you get proper people and none of this organic nonsense.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

I talked someone across an ocean from me into putting up a server (he's running it off some french-based cloud hosting thing IIRC), sometimes NPC movement gets super wonky for a bit, but it's been plenty playable.

Best guess I can come up with is that the hosting computer may not have the oomph to do servery things at decent speeds, have you tried switching who hosts?

Yeah it happens the same way no matter who hosts. Host is fine, guest gets a ton of lag and eventually gets dropped.

Finally got around to plunking down a station.

I hope you like mining titanium and gold, because guess what you need lots of to add sections!

• ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The random number generators for getting crew seem to hate me - I've done an ungodly number of those NPC village missions (half of which seem to want me to schlep on foot to the exact opposite end of a planet) and nobody joining up so far.

I forgot how much combat sucks. Holy shit it's awful.

No matter your damage you'll need to hit things at least four or five times to kill them. No matter your armor you'll take 1/4 your health from each hit. Moving around sucks, so avoiding damage is nearly impossible so I hope you are ready to eat a ton of medkits. Of course multiply the frustration by about a thousand if you're fighting a boss.

At least in Terraria there are actual upgrades that make you better at doing things.

Also the mechs are pretty bad as well. First weapon upgrade for it from the default is a bunch of seeker missiles that you fire and they spread out so as to neatly avoid the thing you are shooting at.

No matter your damage you'll need to hit things at least four or five times to kill them. No matter your armor you'll take 1/4 your health from each hit. Moving around sucks, so avoiding damage is nearly impossible so I hope you are ready to eat a ton of medkits. Of course multiply the frustration by about a thousand if you're fighting a boss.

At least in Terraria there are actual upgrades that make you better at doing things.

Also the mechs are pretty bad as well. First weapon upgrade for it from the default is a bunch of seeker missiles that you fire and they spread out so as to neatly avoid the thing you are shooting at.

You are hyperbolizing. I just went to a tier 6 planet. I didn't find any of the large enemies to test against before getting sniped by a meteor shower, but I could oneshot the fliers, twoshot the little stuff, and they were doing 25 damage to my pool of 160, which while still rather high is not terribly close to a full quarter, but it's also a high level area so it shouldn't exactly be a cakewalk.

For movement, I for one find Starbound's running and jumping far better than Terraria's, at least until you start getting into flight.

As for the missile rack, it's not meant for point-blank use, aim for mid to far range enemies, and the missiles track your cursor, not the enemies themselves.

Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    The random number generators for getting crew seem to hate me - I've done an ungodly number of those NPC village missions (half of which seem to want me to schlep on foot to the exact opposite end of a planet) and nobody joining up so far.

You gotta do multiple missions for a single person before they'll offer to join up. It's kind of a crapshoot still though. I find it's easier to build a colony and do quests for them, rather than look around for a village with the races I want.
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

You are hyperbolizing. I just went to a tier 6 planet. I didn't find any of the large enemies to test against before getting sniped by a meteor shower, but I could oneshot the fliers, twoshot the little stuff, and they were doing 25 damage to my pool of 160, which while still rather high is not terribly close to a full quarter, but it's also a high level area so it shouldn't exactly be a cakewalk.

For movement, I for one find Starbound's running and jumping far better than Terraria's, at least until you start getting into flight.

As for the missile rack, it's not meant for point-blank use, aim for mid to far range enemies, and the missiles track your cursor, not the enemies themselves.

Combat and the movement are fine. I really enjoy killing stuff in this game, and if anything I find the majority of it is too easy. Well, minus the very beginning since you start with no armor and just a shitty broadsword (my least favorite kind of weapon)

JtgVX0H.png
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    started on normal difficulty, had a pretty great time with the first few hours, but eating is kind of tedious, and so is backtracking out of the depths of the planet.

started a new game on casual, A+ would choose filthy casual again.
    spelunking is much more fun, random deaths are less frustrating, what does food even mean?

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    what does food even mean?

Money. Lots of money. Especially using the planters from Frackin' to grow stackable products like wheat or rice.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List