As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Resistance: Avalon (Game 2)]: Quest 5 is Over, and Thus Ends Our Game.

15678911»

• Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Thematically, what do you suppose happens when the spies kill the wrong person?

Do the knights rush into the chamber to find one of their own, slain, lying in a pool of their own blood... they look at each other, shock on their faces, before erupting into cheers, hoisting Merlin on their shoulders and traipsing out to head to ye old pub for an ale? The spies standing about the room, blood soaked daggers, disappointed looks on their faces?

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    The assassin goes to stab the wrong guy, who then bursts into a puff of smoke. Merlin then reveals himself, lightning bolts the minions Jedi style, then ale of course

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    @Rhan9 Any thoughts? discrider has convinced me, but since this is our last chance I want to make sure everyone gets heard.

• Options
    I played with a group who insisted, for some reason, on calling him "The Merlin".

"Who was the Merlin?"
    "I was the Merlin."
    "Oh I thought you were the Merlin."

Suddenly the game was that much better.

rqv6.png
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I don't really have anything new to add.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    But I am amused you thought I trusted you because of that

I didn't think you trusted me. I just think you didn't have enough of a read on me to realise I should always and forever have been on that list. Unlike Merlin.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    You got me. We deserved to lose that game, given how we threw away a turn 3 win.

I have never seen that happen like that before, and I honestly didn't know how to play it. I tried to ignore Rhan and discrider until Rhan got ladied, and discrider got accused by other people. But obviously that wasn't enough in a game where you have logs of everything that happened.

But yeah, Sir Hudson is bad at Resistance, and i totally blame him. :p

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Boooo. I was hoping it was sega who saw a way to create a clean "random" team by picking the first bunch of players since the first 4 were clean

• Options
    To be honest, all I was aiming to do from the end of Mission 3 onwards was buy time and propose enough 'reasonable' bad ideas that Merlin had to expose himself.
    I could have done the arguing with Phyphor better in retrospect. I will have to study what made me come out scummy this time, so next time I can use it to drag us both through the mud as was intended.

• Options
    Also I think Phyphor is Percival because he didn't like the idea of exposing himself for the greater good.

• Options
    I was honestly trying to piece it together right up to the end.

rqv6.png
  • Options
    The scumminess came from "fuck logic, play badly! Oh and I can't bother to read posts, too complicated!"
    You made "mistakes" rather than mistakes - you are quite clearly capable of reasoning out yourself, or following my reasoning, but you chose not to without giving any reason why you thought it was a bad idea.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Also I think Phyphor is Percival because he didn't like the idea of exposing himself for the greater good.

Nope!

• Options
    The whole key for me was "Rhan = bad guy, Kaneski has no reason to lie" followed by "I was on mission, but I am good. Phyphor was on mission, and he is playing very logically. Disc must be the bad guy." then "eh, jdark because something is off there."

rqv6.png
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »
    But I am amused you thought I trusted you because of that

I didn't think you trusted me. I just think you didn't have enough of a read on me to realise I should always and forever have been on that list. Unlike Merlin.

Nah I was just listing out people on the mission from memory and you were the last name, but I thought I had everyone since I had 9 names out

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Yea sadly I was just the lazy knight who put together the simplest team he could. But yea I missed how hard some of InkSplat's posts look when correlated like that. Some good lessons for phalla to be gleamed for sure

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I was Percival. Sorry Merlin. :(

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I'll admit I wasn't exactly on the top of my game following the events and choices in this. Somehow this game felt a lot more confusing than the first did. At least to me.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I was pretty sure it was Inksplat when he just so adamant that I was a bad guy when there were other options.

That said... I don't feel good about this win for some reason.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Eh, assassin/merlin is a little silly anyway. Merlin can't really use his info much or he gives himself away, assassin just lets the spies go "whoops we win" - you can probably narrow it down to three candidates pretty easily, from there you've got a good shot. I'd have felt the same about the last game if the knights had won the missions

Phyphor on
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I found the first game way more tense, but only because I was Mordred, ha ha ha, and I had to sorta hide from both the blues and Merlin and kept getting thrown into positions where I'd give myself away if I failed.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Sad part is, jdarksun, that I only acted so sure against you cause I figured other people would see it too. My wife, not knowing the roles, told me you were totally a Minion, so I figured it would be a consensus. :p

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Phyphor, I actually couldn't find your team when I looked

• Options
    Eh, assassin/merlin is a little silly anyway. Merlin can't really use his info much or he gives himself away, assassin just lets the spies go "whoops we win" - you can probably narrow it down to three candidates pretty easily, from there you've got a good shot. I'd have felt the same about the last game if the knights had won the missions

The game is sort of bad without Merlin.
    With Merlin there is a metagame where the Spies have to spot Merlin whilst Merlin has to use his information to win the game.
    Otherwise it's just a game of whether the Resistance has enough information/luck to spot the Spies before they fail three missions, while the Spies have no reason to expose themselves in conversation.
    And that's pretty boring.

For instance, my 'mistakes'.

The 'couldn't find your team' one was the legitimate.

But the other two, 'Oops I accidentally the logic with my team' and 'I'm calling Rhan's bluff. Oh wait Inksplat is evil' were forced by the game itself.
    There's nothing interesting about that, and deducing that I'm screwing with you just because the logic said so is really bad.

That is to say, I played The Resistance on the weekend, and it was nowhere near as fun as this.

• Options
    The base resistance game is pretty bland, but the expansion is better. Without adding "the one person knows everything but must hide" aspect

The problem with merlin is that he can't use his information, or rather he has to use it while making it seem like he doesn't have it at all

• Options
    The thing is though, with the Lady, the Resistance probably receives enough information to win half the time anyway.
    So the whole Merlin thing is interesting because it's all risk/reward in that Merlin can ensure victory if he risks ruining everything.

If anything, the free shot the Assassin gets if Merlin does nothing is a bit dodgy.
    But if all the Resistance plays their part and conceals Merlin, then this shouldn't ever be an issue.

• Options
    I've never gotten how the rest are supposed to cover merlin. Merlin's thing is he has hidden knowledge. Nobody else is going to be right about everything, so it's not something that can be covered for. It's entirely on merlin to not tip his hand

• Options

Fair point.

Really the only one who can cover is Percival and only on one evil guy.