Options

[Rick and Morty] and Mr. Poopy Butthole

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Former spy agency.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    The dad had some fantastic lines this last episode.
    "I'm not dying until I catch my wife sleeping with someone else!"

"I'm Mr. Crowbar..and my friend here is also called crowbar"

That's stupid!

Yeah, well look where being smart got you!
    Don't thank God, God is the one turning people into horrible monsters. I'm the one beating them to death. Thank me.
    The Ender wrote: »
    This show, man.
    For an absurdist comedy, that last act of #9 was steep.

I mean, Rick was right - he just wanted a damn screwdriver, and Morty whined and whined until he was given the rape sauce he wanted so badly. And... the look on his face, while Rick just meanders around as always and grabs a beverage.

It contextualizes exactly why Rick acts the way he does, and how a person could get to that state... and I empathized with that total monster.

The writer of this show is good.

There's some really sick and awesome fridge brilliance going on with the show.

I'm now wondering if Rick can actually do science at all, or whether he just portals into another dimension constantly to find one where he, against the infinite weight of the odds, has managed to do the right science to figure the problem of the day out. He can stay there if he picks one where Rick (and/or Morty, if he takes Morty with him) also dies (i.e. they cure the Cronenberg experiment, but they coincidentally die in the garage right after), OR he can just go back to his and pick up where he left off - andd infinite universes means this solution is available 100% of the time.

Like, I'm wondering how many off-screen portals there are now.

The whole portal-universes reveal (not that other universes exist, but that Rick constantly travels not to visit other words, but to visit other timelines where he hasn't fucked it all up) is like two minutes long, and yet it was just like BOOM KNOWLEDGE BOMB.

Also: Something is broken inside Morty now, and I'll be disappointed (and surprised, given how good the writing is) if they don't do something with it or at least do a callback to it.

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular

That's stupid!

Don't thank God, God is the one turning people into horrible monsters. I'm the one beating them to death. Thank me.
    This show, man.

I mean, Rick was right - he just wanted a damn screwdriver, and Morty whined and whined until he was given the rape sauce he wanted so badly. And... the look on his face, while Rick just meanders around as always and grabs a beverage.

It contextualizes exactly why Rick acts the way he does, and how a person could get to that state... and I empathized with that total monster.

I'm now wondering if Rick can actually do science at all, or whether he just portals into another dimension constantly to find one where he, against the infinite weight of the odds, has managed to do the right science to figure the problem of the day out. He can stay there if he picks one where Rick (and/or Morty, if he takes Morty with him) also dies (i.e. they cure the Cronenberg experiment, but they coincidentally die in the garage right after), OR he can just go back to his and pick up where he left off - andd infinite universes means this solution is available 100% of the time.

The whole portal-universes reveal (not that other universes exist, but that Rick constantly travels not to visit other words, but to visit other timelines where he hasn't fucked it all up) is like two minutes long, and yet it was just like BOOM KNOWLEDGE BOMB.

Also: Something is broken inside Morty now, and I'll be disappointed (and surprised, given how good the writing is) if they don't do something with it or at least do a callback to it.

They don't want to get bogged down in continuity, which is kinda refreshing.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    The way the entire family just kind of rolls with it is probably one of my favorite features.

I'm really liking Summer's reactions to a lot of the crap going on. You really need a good exclamation to sell the comedy of two Preying mantis reporters arguing about which gets to molest Morty.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    The way the entire family just kind of rolls with it is probably one of my favorite features.

I'm really liking Summer's reactions to a lot of the crap going on. You really need a good exclamation to sell the comedy of two Preying mantis reporters arguing about which gets to molest Morty.

The family bit parts are great.

"I'm talking about your mom - and that's not an urban diss. Your mom was my Jessica!"

"Yeah, and you got her pregnant at 17. Could you please not talk about banging my daughter in high school. Don't take advice from this guy Morty, his marriage is hanging by a thread."

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Yeah for some reason I really enjoy Summer, even though she barely does anything

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Judging from the snippets in the opening credits, I'd expect to see summer tag along for one mission.
    there is at least three snippets that were in the episodes so far

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    - It is primarily inspired by Doctor Who and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    This is what sold it for me. Just watched the pilot but I cant tell if I liked it or not. We're going to need to do some sciency stuff.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    - It is primarily inspired by Doctor Who and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    This is what sold it for me. Just watched the pilot but I cant tell if I liked it or not. We're going to need to do some sciency stuff.

the pilot is an outlier of an episode.

one of my favorites but the others distance themselves pretty far from it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The pilot is good. But it's the second episode where it finds its deranged groove and runs with it. So at least give it to that.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    I found the pilot to be the weakest episode personally, but what does it matter; it's almost criminal how enjoyable this show is considering I'm not too big a fan of Rick's burping myself or other details.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Pilot had to set up stuff and you know. It had to be a pilot.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

"I'm talking about your mom - and that's not an urban diss. Your mom was my Jessica!"

"Yeah, and you got her pregnant at 17. Could you please not talk about banging my daughter in high school. Don't take advice from this guy Morty, his marriage is hanging by a thread."

I loved the later bit most:

"Grampa, you're talking about my mom!"

"Well, she's my daughter, Summer. I out-rank you. Or family means nothing, in which case don't play that card."

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

I loved the later bit most:

"Grampa, you're talking about my mom!"

"Well, she's my daughter, Summer. I out-rank you. Or family means nothing, in which case don't play that card."

My wife made me rewind that part three times, because she couldn't quite make out what he was saying.

When she finally heard it, she joined me in hysterics.

That was an amazing piece of dialog.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I found the pilot to be the weakest episode personally, but what does it matter; it's almost criminal how enjoyable this show is considering I'm not too big a fan of Rick's burping myself or other details.

Ricks alcoholic burping makes most of his lines 10x funnier.

ALLAHU *urp* AKBAR

Why don't you ask the smartest people in the universe? Oh wait, they *buuurrrp*lew up.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2014
    Anatomy Park is really, very good.

Edit:
    Morty, can you get to the left nipple?
    Are you kidding? I'm hoping I can get to both of them, Rick!

_J_ on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I liked Anatomy Park best of all so far.

• Options
    Really happy that John Oliver is getting voice work.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Lawnmower Dog was fucking amazing!
    Fixed that :^:

And John Oliver was in Gravity Falls as well.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Just the names Rick and Morty makes me think of Doc and Marty.
    doc-and-marty.jpg

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    doc-and-marty.jpg

Pretty sure that is not accidental.

• Options
    doc-and-marty.jpg

Yeah, the original-original proof of concept was "Doc and Mharti"

It...does not resemble the current show.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    doc-and-marty.jpg

J-J-Jesus Doc you d- d- you just disint - you killed Einstein!

Brrreeeeauughhh keep your dick in your pants, MUUUGHty. Did you, do you think I'm just gonna total a Delorean to imprUUGH impress you? The car's a classic, Marty

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    doc-and-marty.jpg

Yeah, the original-original proof of concept was "Doc and Mharti"

It...does not resemble the current show.

I'm waiting for the bloody testicle licking reference.

"Like my balls Mharti!" Was a catch phrase amongst my old D&D group.

No part of the above failed to embarrass me.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014

ALLAHU *urp* AKBAR

Why don't you ask the smartest people in the universe? Oh wait, they *buuurrrp*lew up.

Most of the time his burping does nothing for me but it makes the whole ALLAHU AKBAR sequence amazing

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i have started watching this show and i am never going to stop

• Options

ALLAHU *urp* AKBAR

Most of the time his burping does nothing for me but it makes the whole ALLAHU AKBAR sequence amazing

I'm trying to figure out the burping.

I *think* it is a way of reinforcing the notion that he is an alcoholic without explicitly showing him drinking. They do not show him taking a drink all that often. It's more burping or alcohol containers falling out of his car.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I think the line that gets me is his answer to Morty's question of why his math teacher's dream version of his girlfriend's dream version of a centaur is dreaming of such a scary place.

"Jeez, I don't know, Morty. Wha-what do you want from me?"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Man the Jellybean scene was dark

This show is pretty crazy

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Harbringer197Harbringer197 Registered User regular
    that Cthulhu episode should be interesting especially since it looks like Rick stole a baby Cthulhu.

you can see a snippet of it in the intro

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    It also looks interesting because it looks like Summer actually joins them in an adventure.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I wonder if Rick dragged Beth on adventures with him... before she got knocked up that is.

• Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    That would provide a different angle on why Rick is always bitter towards Jerry.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    the poptarts in the toaster house absolutely slayed me

I haven't laughed that loud at a show in a long time

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    the poptarts in the toaster house absolutely slayed me

I haven't laughed that loud at a show in a long time

That would be the scariest place to live for them!

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    You're missing the point Caveman, why would he drive a smaller toaster with wheels? Does your car look like a smaller version of your house? No.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

That's stupid!

This show, man.

you mean like, if that event left him a quivering, neurotic mess of a person who can barely interact with other people and is really kind of pathetically easy to manipulate and control?

because...

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I'm shocked that the censors actually let them get away with using the word "9 11" as a verb.

It's actually a Harmon brand joke. It was used in episode 4 (of season 5) on Community as well.

My favorite part of Rick and Morty (besides the insane, depraved plot directions it goes in) is the lucid, overcomplicated discussions around ludicrous ideas or situations.

-The pop-tart & toaster house debacle
    -The ending of the most recent episode and how to divvy up the workload
    -Rick's surprisingly reasonable assertions about why love is terrible
    -The argument over bombing the city earlier on
    etc

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am liking the premise. Essentially, you have a character that can totally wreck the world at will and then press a reset button.

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Man, Jerry's such a useless wankstain.

Except when the apocalypse happens, which kinda prevents his potential from ever really surfacing for real.

Rhan9 on
This discussion has been closed.