As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Final Fantasy Tactics: The Durai Report - Day 8: Victory for the MrBlarney Stone!

ArdorArdor Registered User regular
edited February 2014 in Critical Failures
Ivalice has gone through a slow recovery from the Lion War, in which White Lion, Black Lion and many significant supporters lost their lives during the conflict. In the end, the story of a squire named Delita Heiral who became King captured the kingdom and created stories and legends alike. For what most knew, that was the end of the story. However, a man named Olan Durai had lost both his friend Ramza Beoulve and his foster father, Cidolfas Orlandu during the war with rumors regarding the Glabados Church and their dealings with the Zodiac Stones. Ramza, Cid and many others were never seen again in the final pursuit to expose the church for the secret, legendary power that they held.

Putting faith in his friends, Olan pursued the rumors, creating a report from his experiences and second-hand accounts from those involved. During his travels, he uncovered a lost zodiac stone, dubbed the MrBlarney Stone, the 14th stone. In the meantime, the Glabados Church had uncovered his pursuits and demanded the stone and the report lest he be named a Heretic and put to death as a result. Olan hired a mercenary band to protect him and his research while escaping from the church, unnoticed for a time. He and his hired guard were able to keep out of the prying eyes of the church for some time. With the report nearly finished, he shared his knowledge with his guard, so at least one would be able to expose the church should any ill befall him. Shortly after informing them about the stone, several of his guard had become entranced with the stone, as it called out to them.

“….Become one with me………for powers untold…….Become one with me……gain knowledge of all……..Become one with me………and fear death no more….”

Enthralled by the promise of power and knowledge beyond human imagination, several of the guards broke free the locks that held the stone and stole off with it. With their sole focus on the stone, they followed the orders without hesitation.

“…Silence all……who know of us……Silence them all……”

One morning, several guards were found murdered. As everyone stood around hurling accusations and insults, Olan analyzed the situation further. Nobody had known their location, much less the church. In this old sanctuary, the only ones who could have done this were here. The Stone!. Olan and the guards hurried to the location of the stone, only to find it missing. “We must recover the stone. I know some of you have fallen under its power and will not give up the stone until you are no more. Guards, find me that stone and you must kill those who have become entranced by it!”

Our story begins here.

This is a Phalla game with the standard rules that apply, such as no screenshots, no talking with those not involved with the game etc. Please respect your fellow players!

Factions - This game features two groups, the Guards loyal to Olan Durai and the Guards loyal to the MrBlarney Stone. There are no other parties or serial killers.
The Guards loyal to Olan Durai: You are hired guards to protect the dangerous work that Olan has taken upon him. You are being paid to protect his interests and health. Now entangled in the fight, you must protect yourselves if you wish to survive this encounter while demanding a raise!

The Guards loyal to the MrBlarney Stone: Not much is known about them. They appear as the loyal guards do, in that appearance alone cannot distinguish them. However, the power of the stone will likely make them very difficult to kill. More can be uncovered later as events unfold. 15% or less of the players will be in the MrBlarney Stone group.

Win Conditions - The win condition is similar to many other games. Then the Mrblarney Stone group has equal to or more numbers than the remaining Olan Guards, the game will end in their favor. If the MrBlarney Stone group is eliminated, the Olan Guards will win.

Daily Votes - Each day, the following actions are available (some depending on your class) and optional. I encourage you to vote during each day, but you are not forced to do so. Please know that not voting could hurt your team’s chances of winning though (as it is with all games):
Vote for a player to be attacked (1 attack). The top 2 players will be attacked once that night. Any tie will mean more people are getting attacked.

Vote for a player to be guarded from a single attack. The top player will receive protection from a single attack that night. Any tie negates the protection. This can protect against the vote, since the red vote means those players are being attacked once.

Vote for a player to be seered (job only) that night. The top 2 players will be seered that night. The narration will state what job each player has. This will not reveal affiliation though, only the job. Any tie negates the vote for that place. If there’s a tie for 1st place, only 2nd place will be seered. Same with the other way around. If both 1st and 2nd place have a tie, no jobs get seered.

Daily Actions in PM to Ardor - During each day, you can send the following to Ardor in a PM.
Private Votes - For a Private vote to succeed, a player must receive a vote total of 30% (rounded up) of the players alive in the game. So if there are 20 players in the game, 6 votes means that player has one of the following actions apply to them (guard/seer/kill). A player may have multiple actions placed upon them (60% or 90%). I will update the number of votes it takes to reach a successful action in the narration each day.

Private Kill Vote: If your class allows, you may vote to kill someone. A successful attack means that player is being attacked once that night per successful attack.

Private Guard Vote: If your class allows, you may vote to guard someone. A successful guard means that player is protected from a single attack that night.

Private Seer Vote: If your class allows, you may vote to seer someone. This is a full seering, job, action and affiliation. All players who voted to seer a player successfully, will receive the seering. For example, if Ardor received 7 seer votes and that means a successful seering, the players who voted to seer Ardor, will receive the results of the seering.

Order of Actions - Public/Private Guard Vote > Public/Private Kill Vote > Public/Private Seer Vote.

This does mean that a private seering can fail, if those using private seer votes are killed that night. Public votes cast all count regardless of the private actions. Guard and Kill votes will always count. Private seer votes can be reduced through public and private kill votes that attack and kill those players.

Jobs – Jobs are important and give you some abilities both with voting or otherwise. New jobs will become available as the game progresses. All players will choose a job that is used in this list.
Squire – You have 1 private vote each night. It can be to Seer or Kill. Your job ability is that you will know how many players have chosen each job. You are also aware of how many successful private voting actions took place, but not the results.

Chemist – You have 1 private vote each night. It can be to Guard or Kill. Your job ability is that you can analyze one dead player to determine how they died and by whom. So if a player was killed with a successful private vote, you will learn the names of those involved.

Knight - You have 1 private vote each night. It can be to Guard or Kill. This vote is worth 2, not 1 like the earlier jobs. Your job ability is that if you participate in a successful guard which blocks an attack, you are also protected from 1 attack that night. Remember, this only activates if you block an attack successfully, not if you participate in a successful guard action on someone alone.

Mystic - You have 1 private vote each night. It can be to Seer or Kill. This vote is worth 2. Your job ability is as follows: Upon a successful private seer action of a Guard loyal to the Stone, you will be provided with information on the stones powers. Upon a successful private kill action, you are provided information on the target's action and target that night. (Example: Upon successfully attacking Ardor, you also discover that he was Privately Voting to Kill Infidel).

Black Mage - You have 1 private vote each night. It can only be to Kill. Your vote is worth 3. Upon participating in a successful attack action, you will completely nullify any attack from the MrBlarney Stone on yourself that night.

Monk - You have 2 private votes each night. It can be to Kill or Guard. Your votes are worth 2 each. Participating in a successful kill action will block an attack on you that night. Anyone who attacked you successfully will know you blocked the attack due to a job ability.

Ninja *NEW* - You have 2 private votes each night. It can only be to kill. Your votes are worth 3 each. You will automatically evade one kill attempt each night. This cannot be used two nights in a row. Your attackers will be told if you evaded their attack with a job ability.

Holy Knight *NEW* - You have 1 private vote each night. It can be to Guard or Kill. Your vote is worth 2. Any private kill action that you participate in cannot be blocked, guarded against or evaded. The Holy Sword abilities with the knight will also outright kill any guards loyal to the stone without letting them transform into demons.

Future Job Requirements - These are jobs that can be earned when certain criteria are met.
Arithmetician - Available when one of the following occurs: 1) When 2 guards loyal to the stone have been successfully seered through private actions AND 1 MrBlarney Stone attack has been nullified or 2) 4 private seer, 4 private guard and 4 private kill actions have been made.

There are some mechanics unknown to the general population, but more will be provided depending on what happens during the game. Otherwise, I am aiming for minimal hidden rules and mechanics. Narrations will state who died and their faction, but no other information. It will update private vote counts as discussed below and provide any new information to the players as necessary.

Each day ends at 10:00 pm CDT.

Player List:

1) enlightenedbum
2) Kristmas Kthulhu
3) discrider
4) Mill
5) kime
6) Bedlam the Demon
7) jdarksun
8) Egos
9) Preda
10) MrTLicious
11) Obifett
12) The Anonymous
13) Grunt's Ghosts
14) JaysonFour
15) 38thDoe
16) PhyPhor
17) Fiaryn
18) CesareB
19) Spoit
20) Cythraul
21) BertezBertez
22) Auralynx
23) Assuran
24) Buddha73
25) JPants
26) MegaFrost The Demon
27) vertroue
28) Gizzy
29) SeGaTai
30) Rainfall

I hope you have fun! Thanks for signing up!

Day 0 - Opening Narration
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5
Day 6

Clarifications
MrTLicious wrote: »
Who gets the seer results?

Public seer results are found in the narration. Private seer results are given to those who helped make the private seer action succeed.

So if 9 squires all choose to seer me and they survive the night, only those 9 get to see the seer results for me.

Are the private votes for another set of seer/guards, etc. or are they the same votes as the public vote?

The private votes are separate from the public votes. Everybody has a private vote, along with the ability to vote for up to 3 different things in public.
For mystics to unlock, is that supposed to be private seers? I assume so.

Yes, sorry. Private seer actions.
Can we change jobs and still make our private action in the same night with our previous job?

Yes. Today your job is set, so your actions are based on your current job. Whatever job you change to, will be your job tomorrow.
Auralynx wrote: »
Re: private actions, now that I've read this over more closely - if fewer than 30% of the player-base can make the private vote in question, is there any allowance for that or are we just out of luck?

You would be out of luck.
Can public vote-derived attacks be guarded?

Do Knight guard-chains count for unlocks if the chained self-guards block attacks?

The public vote simply places an attack on the players affected, this can be blocked with private guard actions.

For jobs that require an attack to actually be blocked, the knight's job ability will count towards that. However, when a knight activates his/her job skill, it does not count as a successful guard action.

When 5 knights team up to guard Ardor, they meet the 30% criteria to guard him from 1 attack that night. This counts as 1 successful guard action. If it blocks an attack, it also counts as 1 successful blocked attack using a guard action. It does not count as 6 successful guard actions.

Ardor wrote: »
Each day, you can vote to Attack, Guard or Seer players each night

Is that an exclusive or?

I apologize for the language, you may vote for all 3 of those options each day. I will update the language.
Are different private votes different (i.e. is the Knight Guard different from the Chemist Guard?)

Is the Squire seer a role seer or a job seer?

The only difference is usually the count. A knight's private guard votes counts for 2 while the Chemist's private guard vote counts as 1. With the requirement being the vote being >= 30% of the players, knights allow you to more quickly reach the requirement for a successful private vote.

All private seer actions are full seers, regardless of what job helps create them. At this time though, only squires may get private seer votes.

Clarification: The squire gets to know how many successful private actions took place, this happens at the end of the day you were a squire. So squires today after narration will get that count. those changing to a squire for tomorrow will not get that count until the end of tomorrow.
Can the Chemist's job ability analyze one dead player per day, or one dead player period?

The Chemist can analyze one dead player per day.
Reading Mystic again, unless its first condition requires private seer actions I don't think we can fail to unlock it today.

One of the Mystic unlock requirements is to seer guards loyal to the stone. The public seering cannot identify guards loyal to the stone. This must be met through private seer actions.
Ardor wrote: »
discrider wrote: »
Will seering (either public or private) Bedlam tell us what exactly his new job can do?

The public seering will only tell you what job a player has. The private seering gives no information on jobs, but will tell you affiliation, job and their action that night.
Does the knight's special ability count as a successful block if they're attacked?

It does.

Ardor on

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    signup

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I want in

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    The precious tells us to sign up, yes!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Definitely

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Sure

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    ardor phalla

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Me too!

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I'm a bear.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Tactics

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Everyone's gonna seer kime on day one, and @Infidel if he signs up too

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Let's do this

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I'll join in.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    LAYER UPON LAYER MAKE YOUR MARK NOW HASTE!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    I'm in

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    HEH

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Well obviously

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    i am the goltana knight
    but seriously, who is the goltana knight, @B:L

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    i am the goltana knight
    but seriously, who is the goltana knight, B:L
    I am the Goltana Knight.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    I AM THE KNIGHT THAT FLOSSES WITH YOUR FUCKING SPINE.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Remind me to unequip you before that battle.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited February 2014
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Remind me to unequip you before that battle.

MAKING ME NAKED WILL ONLY FORCE ME TO UTILIZE WOOKIE TACTICS

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    How could I -not- !signup for this?

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    That's 20! I'll keep sign ups open through tomorrow. We'll get started tomorrow evening.

If you can, please send me a PM with which job you'd like to be.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Everyone's gonna seer kime on day one

this is a thing now?

• Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Berserk wore off, and I could use some JP.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    sign

• Options
    Buddha73Buddha73 Registered User regular
    Why not.

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Looks complicated. I like it!

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    edited February 2014
    Questions!

Are the classes based on the FFT:WotL or FFT Advance?

Do we have to convince the citizens of this world that they aren't real and have them help us destroy the very bonds of their universe while talking about how we are friends the whole time?

Grunt's Ghosts on
  • Options
    Questions!

Do we have to convince the citizens of this world that they aren't real and have them help us destroy the very bonds of their universe while talking about how we are friends the whole time?

FFT:WotL.

You won't need to worry about the citizens of the world at this time. You're only worried for your health and/or special interests, depending on which role you get.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Questions!

I think, therefore I am!

Someone should do an @ spam. This looks too good to only have 20ish players

• Options
    @Rainfall I DEMAND YOU PARTAKE. SO I CAN KILL YOU.

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    The predicted Rainfall has instead made way to a Megafrost.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Will the mafia have mafia exclusive actions, or will they just have to corrupt all the public/private votes?

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Will the mafia have mafia exclusive actions, or will they just have to corrupt all the public/private votes?

The mafia as individuals will act as the other players do, with jobs and abilities tied to them. However, they possess the MrBlarney Stone and the powers that the stone has are unknown at this time. As the powers are used and discovered, more information will be known.

• Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    yes yes yes!!!

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    geth roll 25d6t3 for Job

Job:
    25d6t3 17 [25d6t3=4, 1, 1, 6, 6, 2, 3, 5, 2, 3, 6, 3, 3, 4, 2, 4, 5, 5, 6, 2, 1, 5, 2, 5, 5]