Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

7 Days to Die

2456711

Posts

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Keep in mind there are quite a few bugs still (but there's a patch in for approval with Sony) and a pretty annoying heat system that gets you dying of heat stroke easily and often if you wear the wrong armour.
    My desert survivor is running around in a cowboy hat, sunglasses, a bandana, and iron boots. Also, drink yucca extract if you start overheating. It's pretty great.
    I had a run into the Ash biome with all iron armour and tons of chrysanthemum tea and I STILL ended up baked and dead.
    ...the Burnt Forest? I didn't think it was as hot as the Desert. Unless, did the console release get a new map?
    It's the biome with all the bombed out buildings and what not. It's a LOT hotter than the desert; I'm fine in the desert.
    The Wasteland, maybe? I wonder if that's a console bug, it's way cooler than the Desert on the PC.

    No, it's Burnt Forest. Some people call it the Ash biome or the Blasted Biome. Its crazy hot there. It could be a bug tho since the wiki says it shouldn't be hotter than desert.

    Magic Pink on
  • MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Picked up for PC with some friends at the beginning of the sale. An old friend has had a private server forever and a day now, so we joined there. Haven't stopped playing.

    This current run we're on day 110+ somewhere and are building out second base near a snowy town and a major city. A concrete and metal castle on a ridge, surrounded by spike filled trenches and setup for the incoming Alpha 15 drawbridge if the server can take the update and not reset us. We have a mine nearby that is now attached to an pre-gen underground bunker we found and tonight we will be creating a tunnel from castle to mine so we don't have to surface if we don't feel like it. Next up will be the tunnel into the big city that we've been raiding for easier access.

    The only scary things now for the most part are dogs and bears. Dogs are falling fast due to our damage capability. Bears are only scary in enclosed spaces for the most part.

    10/10, would survive the apocalypse as a Dwarf/Mole person again...and again on top of that. (We already have plans for the inevitable server reset.)

    steam_sig.png

    Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
    urahonkyjdarksunDrake
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Quick question: How do you get to the point to where you can craft guns? I've got the workshop/forge setup, and a ton of books read on various guns (with a mountain of parts), but can't figure out how to actually craft any of it.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Quick question: How do you get to the point to where you can craft guns? I've got the workshop/forge setup, and a ton of books read on various guns (with a mountain of parts), but can't figure out how to actually craft any of it.


    Select the part, go to details and select Assemble. You have to put all the parts in the schematic manually.

    jdarksun
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Burned forest has always been hotter than desert if I recall, so hot that I'm not even sure if it's possible to stabilize your temp in there. If it is it would be with no warm clothing whatsoever and as many heat reducing items you can wear. So all iron armor, a cowboy hat, sunglasses, anything else like that and also drinking red tea. Frankly I would just avoid that biome entirely unless you are just traveling through it. You can survive easier in any other biome and get the same loot.

    I don't recall ruined Wasteland biome being terribly hot, though it used to spawn zombies much more frequently and that makes it dangerous. Lots of loot containers out in the open though, including ovens, toilets, and lockers so it's a great place for a brand new person to score a cooking pot, jars for water, and clothing options.

    Once you get a hang of the game's basics, food/water becomes a non-issue really, finding a water source is a bit more difficult now that you have to find a pond or a house with a pool, but if you keep on looting you'll be swimming in jars and brewing more than enough tea to carry a stack along with you at all times and have plenty more in storage at home. Food is easy too, animals spawn all around you pretty much anywhere you go so if you can't find any where you're at just travel around a bit and you'll probably come across some deer and pigs. You can make charred meat anywhere, and once you get a grill you can make grilled meat which is generally my food staple at home base. Carrying food can attract zombies, so when I'm off on a looting trip I'll normally just survive on any canned foods I find. I'll also try and save any of those big "beef ration" cans and save them for long trips where I'm not going to be looting but still away from home, like mining trips.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    Quick question: How do you get to the point to where you can craft guns? I've got the workshop/forge setup, and a ton of books read on various guns (with a mountain of parts), but can't figure out how to actually craft any of it.


    Select the part, go to details and select Assemble. You have to put all the parts in the schematic manually.

    God... Damn it!

    e: Also thanks!

    urahonky on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Xantomas wrote: »
    So all iron armor, a cowboy hat, sunglasses, anything else like that and also drinking red tea. Frankly I would just avoid that biome entirely unless you are just traveling through it. You can survive easier in any other biome and get the same loot.

    this is exactly what I wear and I still die. I don't think there's a way to NOT get heat in there; just ways to slow it down.

    On the plus side the deer start on fire so they're really easy to hunt. :D
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Once you get a hang of the game's basics, food/water becomes a non-issue really, finding a water source is a bit more difficult now that you have to find a pond or a house with a pool, but if you keep on looting you'll be swimming in jars and brewing more than enough tea to carry a stack along with you at all times and have plenty more in storage at home. Food is easy too, animals spawn all around you pretty much anywhere you go so if you can't find any where you're at just travel around a bit and you'll probably come across some deer and pigs. You can make charred meat anywhere, and once you get a grill you can make grilled meat which is generally my food staple at home base. Carrying food can attract zombies, so when I'm off on a looting trip I'll normally just survive on any canned foods I find. I'll also try and save any of those big "beef ration" cans and save them for long trips where I'm not going to be looting but still away from home, like mining trips.

    You should look into corn bread.

    Magic Pink on
    jdarksun
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »

    You should look into corn bread.

    I'm not really into farming corn. You can make bacon and eggs as well and that has no smell, but it takes lots of eggs so I don't usually bother. Grilled meats at home and scavenging + canned food for emergencies on the road has never failed me.

    Xantomas on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Need to figure out a better way of cleaning up after a horde. The zombies are carving out a remarkably complex tunnel system under our tower.

  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I eventually gave up on living in underground bunkers because the feral hordes will just dig down to you eventually and it's far too much work killing them when they are stuck in a hole and even worse trying to fill it back up. Living all the way down at bedrock level is lame and exploitative.

    For above ground buildings I'll dig a foundation made of brick a couple blocks down so they can't dig under so easily, if you are building on a cliff or hill and they are digging under there isn't really much you can do. :(

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

    You should look into corn bread.

    I'm not really into farming corn. You can make bacon and eggs as well and that has no smell, but it takes lots of eggs so I don't usually bother. Grilled meats at home and scavenging + canned food for emergencies on the road has never failed me.

    You'll put a lot more effort into grinding out eggs or hunting then you will just finding a corn field. We haven't bothered to grow any corn, we're on day 31 and we have about 114 corn bread still.

    Magic Pink on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Corn is one of those things I just haven't seen in this game at all. Potatoes too.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Corn is one of those things I just haven't seen in this game at all. Potatoes too.

    Potatoes are crazy rare for us too. We've found a grand total of two seeds and one potato and I lost the two seeds trying to figure out how to plant them. We're FINALLY up to enough plants that I can actually put some away for eventual stew.

    Corn is all over the dang place for me. I've found a full field in both of the worlds I made and I find the seeds and corn meal on Zombies all the time.

    The only REAL problem with corn bread is you have a to have a good forge because it actually uses up a jar of water to make which is kind of silly. So you need to be able to crank out glass jars regularly.

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Mudzgut wrote: »
    A concrete and metal castle on a ridge, surrounded by spike filled trenches and setup for the incoming Alpha 15 drawbridge if the server can take the update and not reset us. We have a mine nearby that is now attached to an pre-gen underground bunker we found and tonight we will be creating a tunnel from castle to mine so we don't have to surface if we don't feel like it. Next up will be the tunnel into the big city that we've been raiding for easier access.
    Tell me more about this concrete and metal castle.

  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Corn is one of those things I just haven't seen in this game at all. Potatoes too.

    Potatoes are crazy rare for us too. We've found a grand total of two seeds and one potato and I lost the two seeds trying to figure out how to plant them. We're FINALLY up to enough plants that I can actually put some away for eventual stew.

    Corn is all over the dang place for me. I've found a full field in both of the worlds I made and I find the seeds and corn meal on Zombies all the time.

    The only REAL problem with corn bread is you have a to have a good forge because it actually uses up a jar of water to make which is kind of silly. So you need to be able to crank out glass jars regularly.

    The glass jar goes into the cornbread? That sounds...less than tasty.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    You would think, yeah. But .8 wellness from necessary shard-filled vitamins!

    who can say no to that

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Wellness is something I desperately need too. I went from 200 to 70 in two deaths. I'm currently climbing back to 90 right now.

    jdarksun
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Yeah, I got ambushed by dogs after the last horde then fell into the damn pit trying to clear it out. Those wellness penalties hurt.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    80 Wellness is something I'm pretty sure I will never see again.

    But two deaths?? You're only supposed to lose 10 per death I thought.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    80 Wellness is something I'm pretty sure I will never see again.

    But two deaths?? You're only supposed to lose 10 per death I thought.

    I know for sure that I didn't die 13 times so far... Maybe it's a server setting? I guess I kept it at the default.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    urahonky wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    80 Wellness is something I'm pretty sure I will never see again.

    But two deaths?? You're only supposed to lose 10 per death I thought.

    I know for sure that I didn't die 13 times so far... Maybe it's a server setting? I guess I kept it at the default.

    As far as I know there's no way to change it. It's not a setting I've ever seen. It must have been one of these:
    There are several causes of Wellness loss:
    Death causes the player's wellness to decrease by 10 points.
    Becoming hungry, starving, thirsty or dehydrated will cause the player to lose wellness points periodically. This will continue until the player has consumed food or drink as needed and raised both levels above 0.
    Eating certain types of food can decrease the player's wellness by up to 30 points. Some examples include raw eggs, Moldy Bread, Raw Meat, as well as (to a much lesser extent) Bottled Murky Water and Coffee.
    Getting hit several times decreases the player's wellness

    Magic Pink on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Ah, yes. Probably a combination of all of those... I was very confused in the beginning. :)

  • MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Mudzgut wrote: »
    A concrete and metal castle on a ridge, surrounded by spike filled trenches and setup for the incoming Alpha 15 drawbridge if the server can take the update and not reset us. We have a mine nearby that is now attached to an pre-gen underground bunker we found and tonight we will be creating a tunnel from castle to mine so we don't have to surface if we don't feel like it. Next up will be the tunnel into the big city that we've been raiding for easier access.
    Tell me more about this concrete and metal castle.

    It isn't anything complicated appearance-wise because I usually go for functional as fast as possible and add the aesthetic touches as I see an opportunity or after completion, but it is almost "complete" so I'll take some screenshots tonight after a few finishing touches and post them. It's basically a 21x21 concrete block with some interior pillars and strategic metal block placement for vertical weight handling. We have trenches all the way around the bottom on three sides (almost impossible slope on the 4th with spike trenches partway down to prevent too much zombie digging) and those lower walls are double thick with metal reinforced blocks currently at the major points, eventually all the way around.

    The vault door is set into the wall a bit allowed for murder holes to the sides and from the top, including a ceiling section inside the vault door just in case they break through. We're currently using frames to have a makeshift drawbridge to a ramp connection on the other side of the spike trench, but like I said, the Alpha 15 drawbridge will be added if we don't have to reset.

    Last night we completed the vault hatch in the basement and are now connected to our mine through an underground tunnel which is fun. We're not storing things down there or living down there, we just have it as an escape route mostly. Storage and crafting are still on the basement level. I also completed most of the second floor and then got the idea to use some metal trussing to make murder holes we can use to assist in clearing the spikes and cover anyone that goes down to loot and clean up bodies.

    All in all, it's coming along nicely. If I was solo, I'd probably build something similar but bring it down to around 13x13 instead. If we reset, I may do that anyway as it leaves room to expand within the bedroll spawn prevention mechanics. This size is working out well so far since we have 3 regular folks and 1-2 occasional allies that play. Bedrolls down in the center or even the sides prevents zombies throughout.

    steam_sig.png

    Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
    jdarksun
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Xantomas wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

    You should look into corn bread.

    I'm not really into farming corn. You can make bacon and eggs as well and that has no smell, but it takes lots of eggs so I don't usually bother. Grilled meats at home and scavenging + canned food for emergencies on the road has never failed me.

    You'll put a lot more effort into grinding out eggs or hunting then you will just finding a corn field. We haven't bothered to grow any corn, we're on day 31 and we have about 114 corn bread still.

    It's all personal preference really. I find farming super boring and back in the day your farms just got torn up by zombies anyway. I enjoy going on hunting trips, a quick half day journey through nearby lands to kill all the animals I come across and stock up on meat. Once you have a shotgun hunting bears is pretty great too. I don't farm trees either, I'd rather go on a lumberjacking trip to stock up all at once. You hit a certain point in the game where your base is all built up and you're well stocked and there's plenty of time for wandering around hunting and chopping trees and mining.

    I've only seen corn grow wild in the Plains biome and I generally only live in Forest or Snow, but maybe corn is common now like goldenrod or cotton, I haven't played in a while.

    Xantomas on
  • MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    @jdarksun

    Alright, click the spoiler for a bunch of screenshots, I'll add some basic descriptions so you know what you're looking at. I had almost forgotten, so these were taken in a bit of a rush - I think I covered pretty much everything though.
    On the ramparts, ravine side. You can see some of the metal trusses we use as murder holes down into the ravine and out the front from here.
    4nmkpweymc2e.jpg


    Still up on the ramparts, front side now, looking down at the drawbridge.
    i7emyiqbvx15.jpg


    Daytime view of the front. You can see the inset vault door and even the one side murder hole. We have them on both sides and also some built in a different style above.
    5knsr8w6w3uw.jpg


    Nighttime view of the front.
    cv3h37p131kl.jpg


    Nighttime side view. Includes a view of the spike trenches and the bridge. You can even see the trench view murder holes in the ramparts.
    lhib1llumfjt.jpg


    The alternate murder holes I mentioned. This is looking out to the bridge, but you can move to the side and clear the vault door as well.
    kmkktarray6r.jpg


    Standard metal truss murder holes. These are all around and offer views down into the spike trenches.
    d3xldq4wyk8n.jpg


    Inside the first floor looking at the vault door and the ramps to move between floors. The pillars offer extra structural integrity should the outer walls begin to fall.
    9xemrcw0tncc.jpg


    View coming down the ramp into the basement. These walls are the (soon to be) double thick walls at the level of the spike trenches.
    Storage is on the right, including two dump boxes on the tables. We use those if we're doing loot runs and in a hurry without time to organize. I go through them periodically and put things in their proper places.
    Crafting is in the back left. Nothing fancy, two forges, one workbench and a cement mixer. They're almost constantly working if I'm at the castle so we have plenty of supplies for future projects and repairs of the walls and trenches.
    exfp3o9nwwr6.jpg


    Angle from the other side of the basement. You can see the ramp where the previous shot was taken and underneath it the vault hatch that leads down into our mine and tunnel system.
    vgzmugx2h3ia.jpg

    steam_sig.png

    Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
    jdarksunMagic PinkurahonkySorcha RavenlockFryRchanenTurkeyEdith Upwards
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    We had our first 7 day horde with Ferals last night. We had pits, three layers of spikes and landmines and we STILL had to go out in the morning and wipe them out. They obliterated all our defenses.

    We're spending the next seven days moving bases.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Last night was particularly rough for us too. It was Day 14 and we had a pretty hefty defense system in place... It didn't matter. These assholes were coming from EVERYWHERE and completely unstoppable. We got really lucky that when they broke the front door there was too many of them to squeeze through the door so they kept attacking the walls, which were concrete. Giving us time to pick em off with crossbows and stuff.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Oh man you have crossbows? We haven't found the schematic yet. Found the chainsaw but can't figure out where to make it.

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Day 28 horde was the game-changer in my solo game. Not sure what was so much worse, or if my concrete just hadn't cured yet, but they tore through my supports and took down my horde tower halfway through the night.

    With that in mind, I'm trying to re-evaluate our defenses in the MP game and adjust. I'll get pics up for feedback later.
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Oh man you have crossbows? We haven't found the schematic yet. Found the chainsaw but can't figure out where to make it.
    "Assemble" on an engine (or other chainsaw parts).

    jdarksun on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a server set up for this, or would we like one?

    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Basically, (PlayStation) Home is Second Life Ultra Light? Most of the cool stuff, none of the creepy blimp on blimp fucking.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    I've been playing on a friend's server, but I think we might play elsewhere if there was a dedicated server set up.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Jesus. If a dog even LOOKS at me I get an infection. I desperately need access to mushrooms or find a nice stash of honey.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    We are swamped with antibiotics, infection is no issue at all. We find moldy bread everywhere.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    We are swamped with antibiotics, infection is no issue at all. We find moldy bread everywhere.

    Yeah I need a beaker, which I haven't found. :(

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Wow, we have beakers coming out of every orifice too! I have like 18 of them. We've started dumping them out.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Wow, we have beakers coming out of every orifice too! I have like 18 of them. We've started dumping them out.

    Bah!

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Kill nurses, raid boxes. We've got a stack of 20 mostly just farmed from medicine cabinets.

    Magic Pink
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I've never actually got any off nurses yet. Plenty of other meds but never an antibiotic.

  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Can you actually get crossbow bolts to fire through those metal trusses? Bullets seem to go through fine, but the bolts seem to ping off.

  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Can you actually get crossbow bolts to fire through those metal trusses? Bullets seem to go through fine, but the bolts seem to ping off.

    You mean the Iron Bars? If so then yes, that's how I have my house setup, currently.

    You specifically said trusses. Sorry. Reading comprehension fail.

    urahonky on
Sign In or Register to comment.