Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

In this thread, we get our [Groove] on.

Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
Hey, so I looked around and stuff. And fuck me, I couldn't find a music thread.

I goddamn love music.

I love all good music. And if you're a human who breathes, you do too.

So let's get our jam on, and do that. I'll start.

Right now, I'm really rockin' on these guys:

Here's what I'd like to avoid: Any kind of stupid "oh that sucks". If you don't like it, that's cool. You don't gotta tell me.
Instead, why don't you say: "That's cool, this is what I enjoy."

That way we can get around all the bullshit and just enjoy music. We could also talk about music. Like, something interesting you heard on the radio (since this is where Pop Music comes from). Or maybe a band did something cool (this happens occasionally). Or maybe you went and saw a rad show (I do this sometimes).

If you want to come in here and bag on someone, or a band, or a style of music... You can do that, but please don't. It just makes you a goose and a mean goose is scary as fuck. Ever seen one of those fuckers? All honkin' and waving their wings around for attention. Shit be scary.

Anyway, music.

What are you listening to?

Oh, I'm also not sure on having a thread with just a ton of embedded YouTube links, so if someone has some good guidelines, um... Post them. Otherwise, I'm sayin' like... 1 per post? Just, like, pick a song you really like and represents something, and link that. Don't link every song from the album you just bought. Let's be reasonable adults on the internet.

Lord_SnotKosenjouwrong_buttonQanamilJacques L'HommeDisruptedCapitalist

• KosenjouKosenjou Registered User regular
    Been digging on K'Naan recently:

Anon the FelonTheBlackWindDisruptedCapitalist
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular

uekIEp1.png
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I love me some Sun Araw for glorious experimental psychedelia.

• ElaroElaro Mister No Fun AllowedRegistered User regular
    Kid, I like your style, but I don't think this thread is right, in this modonomy.

Basically, I wanted to say "modonomy".

EDIT: Just to contribute.

"Most people don't look at the world through your asshole"
    miscellaneousinsanity
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    I cannot stop listening to chvrches and metric please send help

YaYaLucedes
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Been listening to a metric fucktonne of dubstep recently, and also been looking through a lot of acoustic guitar music. Been trying to find stuff similar to a song I posted over in the videogame music thread but still no luck.

uWpxMId.png
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    chvrches is an extremely good...band. can you call them a band? group maybe. either way, they're good. i particularly liked their cover of Do I Wanna Know

uekIEp1.png
    Theodore Floosevelt
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Just go listen to Jason Isbell and thank me later.

HEY SATAN! HERE'S MY WISHLIST! GO NUTS YOU DEVIL!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/1JI9WWSRW1YJI
    wrong_button
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    @Elaro, that shit is positively groovy. Thanks.

I've really grown to like chvrches. I grabbed them on a whim from the CD bin at work and I really dig what they throw down. What genre are they?

-snip-

Man, I never used to "get" thug/gangster rap. But, when it's good. It's not bad.

@Elaro, that shit is positively groovy. Thanks.

I've really grown to like chvrches. I grabbed them on a whim from the CD bin at work and I really dig what they throw down. What genre are they?

Chvrches would be synthpop, I think. I'm not a huge fan of Chvrches myself, I prefer my synthpop with more of an Italo-disco vibe, stuff like Desire. I do have The Bones of What You Believe though, I should check it out again.

Fawst
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    yeah chvrches is 80's synthpop ear cocaine

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    My grooves:

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Hmmmmm. Music.

I have a weird relationship with music, it's really hard for me to listen to it, and I have a hard time grasping lyrics sometimes. I don't listen to music often, but when I do, it's usually bands that I grew up with.

I feel most comfortable with industrial electronica, Daft Punk is my dreams, but when I get home I'll post a few of the other things I love and see if I can get recommendations!

Peas
    Other grooves:

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    Ya'll are great people.

I've been really curious how pervasive the "electronic" sound is, and clearly... It's everywhere.

I work for a couple radio stations, and one of them has been pushing their music toward a more electronic/synthpop (thanks for that) sound. The other is trying to dig its claws in the old metal sounds. They claim to be "rock", but they're pretty metal.

Cause, like, this is rock to me:

And they thought that was "pop'y" when I showed it to the guy who puts music on the radio.

Kristmas Kthulhu
    And a cover groove before I go to bed

Anon the Felon
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited October 2014

i wanted to post music but i didn't know what to post so
    here are a couple of songs that have been stuck in my head this week

RubberAC on
    raneasig.png
    Lord_SnotAnon the FelonMetzger MeisterBendery It Like BeckhamAnialos
    So, like, Broken Bells is becoming a pretty big thing.

It's the guy from the Shins and Danger Mouse making good music. Do they fall into that Synthpop category? I see a lot of jargon thrown around a lot, and honestly most of it sounds dumb and is stupid... That said, I want to know it. Because it's not going anywhere and I'd be a fool to not learn it.

edited April 2014
    Alright, my work is done for the day so let's get some chillwave going.

Edit:
    RubberAC wrote: »
    Snip

Hells yes Andrew Jackson Jihad.

Lord_Snot on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I literally just got into a twitter discussion about Life Aquatic so now I am listening to a bunch of Seu Jorge David Bowie covers

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lord_Snot
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I like Music

This is a good band.

I need to look into new music soon though since that is the last new album I really gave a listen too.

Mortal SkyRankenphile
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I cannot stop listening to chvrches and metric please send help

have you tried Purity Ring?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lord_SnotClint EastwoodTheodore Floosevelt
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

SYhhzZG.jpg?2?8605
    Panic Button
    edited April 2014
    @RubberAC, how the fuck have I not known about these. Punk (not that dumb shit they call punk now) is my absolute favorite music.

Shakey Graves, that was just amazing. That took such an amazing amount of coordination...

Anon the Felon on
    RubberAC
    @RubberAC, how the fuck have I not known about these. Punk (not that dumb shit they call punk now) is my absolute favorite music.

Shakey Graves, that was just amazing. That took such an amazing amount of coordination...

If you're referring to AJJ, there's a bunch of good folk-punk out there, Ramshackle Glory are another good folk-punk band. They also follow the punk aesthetic super well in other ways, if you want any of their merch, but don't have the cash to afford it, you can send 'em a letter saying what you want and giving them whatever you can/nothing at all, if you can't, and they'll send it to you. Also, Andrew Jackson Jihad are really well grounded, I've emailed them twice and got good replies each time. Folk-punk is a good scene.

Yeah, I enjoy Ramshackle Glory. They're a little... Off, for me to really get into. AJJ is a good balance though.

I've got my roots in the older Against Me!, This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb, Defiance Ohio, and such. I've had terrible luck finding anything with a similarly emotional, yet intelligible, sound.

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    I find AJJ to be basically the only Folkpunk band I listen to that is actually palatable to people who don't enjoy homeless bohemians yelling into microphones about heroin
    He's much closer to the Folk side of the spectrum, and that album is one of my favourite things ever.
    Shakey Graves is an amazing musician and makes me awful weak in the knees to watch

raneasig.png
    Anon the Felon
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    So back in the day I played a hell of a lot of Deus Ex(because it was amazing,) and when the sequel Invisible War was announced, a little-known band called Kidneythieves was attached to the project. Their music absolutely blew my mind, and the lead singer, Free Dominguez, even voiced a bitchy pop star in the game. They've got three absolutely killer albums which have their entirety on youtube, Tricksterreprocess, Zerospace, and Tryptofanatic, as well as a couple of EPs and in general holy shit their music is exactly what I want all the time.

And I also loved the soundtrack for the Mortal Kombat movie, and that's how I found KMFDM, which was the soundtrack for a shitload of Unreal Tournament 2004 and Guild Wars.

It really wasn't long after that that I discovered that KMFDM did a remix of a Kidneythieves song, and if I ever had to pick my three favorite bands, it's KT, KMFDM, and Daft Punk.

Also of note in my musical grooving is Sohodolls, which I was turned onto by an ex-girlfriend and never turned it off. This shit is rad.

And that's a good sampling of my musical tastes, I think. To finish this off, this is what I listen to when I need to blow off steam:

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    you ever have one of those songs where you can't remember the name or the band?

i "think" there was a Y and a T in the name, and a mr. as in, y*** & mr t***, or something. it might have been something like *y*** and mr t***. i don't remember and it's been years. it was electronic

I was rockin this pretty hard the last couple days, personally.

I adore Florence. She's a musical genius.

• MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Spotify is a boon

I guess a video game music too

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
    Washed Out ownssssssss

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MachwingLord_Snot
  • LabelLabel Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    also, a little mellower, but a couple songs i find absolutely amazing.

Label on
  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    Yes is the first band I ever got into. I luv prog rock.

Starship Trooper

Time And A Word

l3icwZV.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    Shpongle, yo.

Tossrock
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So I just "discovered" Prince recently

I mean I knew a few of his singles from radio, stuff like 1999, Little Red Corvette, Purple Rain, a couple others

But I just randomly decided to listen to a full Prince album on Spotify recently and then I ended up listening to a bunch of his stuff

I would throw up some Prince right now but apparently they're super-notorious about removing all of his music from YouTube as soon as it goes up, so what are you gonna do?

Here, have some Lucinda Williams instead

(I've been listening to a lot of '90s music recently, my friends and I are trying to come up with our own personal lists of the best '90s stuff)

Washed Out's new album was, I thought, a pretty serious leap forward. Maybe the whole bird and nature sounds conceit was a little hokey but the music was legit.

uekIEp1.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister Registered User regular
    Prince is fuckin awesome dude. Guy is crazy talented. The thing about Prince is that he's a super amazing guitarist and all around musician but you never really hear people talk about it.

Anon the FelonpookaDrCongoDisruptedCapitalistBrainleech
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Prince is fuckin awesome dude. Guy is crazy talented. The thing about Prince is that he's a super amazing guitarist and all around musician but you never really hear people talk about it.

I ended up buying Purple Rain on Blu-ray which I also really enjoyed

Seriously, Purple Rain, Sign o' the Times and 1999 are straight-up amazing front to end

"Let's Go Crazy" is such a kick-ass high energy song that pulls you into the rest of that album, goddamn