As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Homefront: The Revolution] Philadelphia is gonna see better days. (PC/XB1/PS4)

ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
edited July 2014 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGmkvvrtxzI
Homefront: The Revolution is a free-roam first person shooter where you must lead the Resistance movement in guerrilla warfare against a superior military force. A sprawling city responds to your actions - you and your Resistance Cell can inspire a rebellion on the streets and turn Occupation into Revolution, as oppressed civilians take up the fight.

But your enemy has the advantage - superior technology, firepower, heavy armour and air support. You must learn the art of guerrilla warfare – ambush, sabotage, infiltration, deception – and fight a running battle through the war-ravaged suburbs of Philadelphia.

And the single player campaign is just the start – in Co-Op you and your friends can form your own Resistance Cell and become renowned as Heroes of the Revolution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujh2fnATK4
- Explore a living, breathing open world - experience true open world gameplay in a first person shooter, brought to life with astonishing CRYENGINE-powered visuals
- Wage Guerrilla Warfare - this is no linear shooter; learn the art of guerrilla warfare and use ambush, infiltration and hit and run tactics against your foe in thrilling un-scripted firefights
- Build the Resistance - recruit revolutionaries to the cause, establish bases and safehouses, capture and customise a deadly arsenal, and build improvised, homebrew weapons for your Guerrilla Tool Kit
- Ignite the Revolution - from oppressed citizen to revolutionary leader, an epic single-player campaign tells the story of the second War of Independence. The dynamic, evolving world responds to your actions as an oppressed nation rises up in defiance against the occupation
- Online Co-OP - take the battle online, form a Resistance Cell with your friends and earn your reputation as Heroes of the Revolution

10437687_10152184736396238_1186152172603368280_n.jpg
10373809_10152178797331238_5631843843657979755_n.jpg

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
Archsorcerer on

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Extra post for multiplayer information.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I still can't believe that they're still going with the "Korea invades the US" angle.

This would never fucking happen.

That said, this game DOES look pretty awesome, I like the premise, I like the idea of guerrilla warfare being a big thing, and I'll be lookin at this closely, like I did with the last game, and hopefully with be delightedly surprised instead of disappointed at the release.

Kadoken on
    Well, the premise comes from a novel named Red Dawn. I've not read it (need to look it up but it's late) but the premise seems to be that the Soviet Union conquered the USA and you got Americans fighting back.

But move the timeframe to the present and the big, bad commie would be China. From what I read, the previous developer decided not to make them the antagonist and went with North Korea to avoid some frictions.

The KPA managed to annex South Korea and some countries in the region to its dominion. After that it moved to other places in the world.

I did not play the first game so I can't comment on the plot. Only heard that multiplayer was decent.

But I'm interested in this one. Kinda looks like Metro but more open.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    WOLVERIIIIIINNEEESSSS!!!!!

Well, the premise comes from a novel named Red Dawn. I've not read it (need to look it up but it's late) but the premise seems to be that the Soviet Union conquered the USA and you got Americans fighting back.

But move the timeframe to the present and the big, bad commie would be China. From what I read, the previous developer decided not to make them the antagonist and went with North Korea to avoid some frictions.

The KPA managed to annex South Korea and some countries in the region to its dominion. After that it moved to other places in the world.

I did not play the first game so I can't comment on the plot. Only heard that multiplayer was decent.

The writing in the first game was actually pretty solid and makes the rather stupid plot summary oddly kinda work in practice. The atmosphere was also really well done. The problems with the first game were mostly just gameplay related and also that it was god damn short, committing the grievous sin of ending on a cliff hangar.

If they can unfuck the gameplay and keep the same quality of writing then this should be a pretty solid game.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

Russia could and can invade the US though. Also, I read the plot, they conquer Japan, and Southeast Asia, but not China. Actually, China would have been a viable target to invade because in the game's universe the country once again devolved into Warlord fighting like pre-WW2 China, and would not have the logistic problems attacking America would bring. With China's manpower and pre-shitty situation (This China's economy is in the shitter) weapons and tech, THEN I would be more inclined to believe in an invasion.

Also, I know what Red Dawn is, who doesn't know what Red Dawn is?

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »

Russia could and can invade the US though. Also, I read the plot, they conquer Japan, and Southeast Asia, but not China. Actually, China would have been a viable target to invade because in the game's universe the country once again devolved into Warlord fighting like pre-WW2 China, and would not have the logistic problems attacking America would bring. With China's manpower and pre-shitty situation (This China's economy is in the shitter) weapons and tech, THEN I would be more inclined to believe in an invasion.

Also, I know what Red Dawn is, who doesn't know what Red Dawn is?

Commies.

And I think we found ourselves a Red infiltrator.

So, 'Kakoden', or should I say Comrade how about you start spilling why you're so keen on getting people interested in the sequel to one of the crappiest FPSs in recent memory. Could it be that bad games get us more ready to toil in the gulags?

edited July 2014
    Well, I didn't know what Red Dawn was. :) Wikipedia gave me a hand before I went to sleep.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

chiasaur11 wrote: »
    So, 'Kakoden', or should I say Comrade how about you start spilling why you're so keen on getting people interested in the sequel to one of the crappiest FPSs in recent memory. Could it be that bad games get us more ready to toil in the gulags?

Wouldn't that be me? I did not play the first one but I'm interested in the mix of Far Cry + Metro this is gonna bring.

Let's see if Crytek UK (Free Radical) can make a good game.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    Welp I definitely didn't think I would see another game with the Homefront name announced.

Seems kinda like the closest comparison here would be Ubi's upcoming The Division, but first-person versus third-person?

On the story front: the scenario in the original Red Dawn was pretty implausible, but it worked as a popcorn movie representative of the genre of Cold War what-if media, of which there was a great deal. (The novel the new TNT series The Last Ship is based on was also part of this continuum, but in the modern-day TV adaption they seem to have replaced a nuclear exchange with a worldwide plague).

The remake version of Red Dawn was originally supposed to have the Chinese as the antagonists, but then they decided not to piss off China because China is a big movie market, so they changed it to North Korea after the movie had already been made (they literally just made a new opening sequence to explain the backstory, and digitally replaced flags and insignias and redubbed dialogue in post-production).

I imagine we got the ridiculous North Korean invasion in the Homefront franchise (reeeeeally never thought I'd type those words) for the same reasons. Nobody gives a shit about offending North Korea, not like the movie or game was gonna sell there anyway.

(A discussion of implausible foreign invasions of the US in vidya would be incomplete without me pointing out that an utterly ridiculous Russian invasion of the continental US is also part of the plot of the CoDModBlopGhosts series.)

Gaslight on
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Welp I definitely didn't think I would see another game with the Homefront name announced.

Seems kinda like the closest comparison here would be Ubi's upcoming The Division, but first-person versus third-person?

On the story front: the original Red Dawn was pretty implausible, but it worked in the genre of Cold War what-if media, of which there was a great deal. (The novel the new TNT series The Last Ship is based on was also part of this continuum, but in the modern-day TV adaption they seem to have replaced a nuclear exchange with a worldwide plague).

The remake version of Red Dawn was originally supposed to have the Chinese as the antagonists, but then they decided not to piss off China because China is a big movie market, so they changed it to North Korea after the movie had already been made (they literally just made a new opening sequence to explain the backstory, and digitally replaced flags and insignias and redubbed dialogue in post-production).

I imagine we got the ridiculous North Korean invasion in the Homefront franchise (reeeeeally never thought I'd type those words) for the same reasons. Nobody gives a shit about offending North Korea, not like the movie or game was gonna sell there anyway.

Apparently Japan does. For the first game, they made the enemy a Canadian invasion. "The country attacking America will instead be referred to as 'A Certain Country to the North,' run by the 'Northern Leader.'"

Those fucking penguins! :P

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Gaslight wrote: »

On the story front: the original Red Dawn was pretty implausible, but it worked in the genre of Cold War what-if media, of which there was a great deal. (The novel the new TNT series The Last Ship is based on was also part of this continuum, but in the modern-day TV adaption they seem to have replaced a nuclear exchange with a worldwide plague).

Apparently Japan does. For the first game, they made the enemy a Canadian invasion. "The country attacking America will instead be referred to as 'A Certain Country to the North,' run by the 'Northern Leader.'"

*Insert joke about Japanese politeness here*

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Japan has a... storied history with the Korean peninsula (and beyond).

Should I change the thread title to "Philadelphia is gonna see sunnier days"?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Should I change the thread title to "Philadelphia is gonna see sunnier days"?

I would formulate it as "Philadelphia has seen sunnier days" but I approve of the intent.

I only watched a few episodes of the show.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I still can't believe that they're still going with the "Korea invades the US" angle.

This would never fucking happen.

That said, this game DOES look pretty awesome, I like the premise, I like the idea of guerrilla warfare being a big thing, and I'll be lookin at this closely, like I did with the last game, and hopefully with be delightedly surprised instead of disappointed at the release.

Very dumb. They should of changed it to the "Pan-Pacific Alliance" or something. They could of even kept all the Korean then.

See, the Soviet Union was a country of 300 million and aided by several friendly nations (including Mexico, which gives it a border with the US)

A united Korean would have about 1/4 the population, a much smaller navy, and in this universe occupies several other nations (which means their military is already tied up in those nations).

I'm actually surprised how atmospheric they made such and unrealistic plot feel. But the game was fun so meh...

Agreed. I'm hoping it's like Far Cry with outpost liberations and planing convoy raids.

Call of Duty Ghosts promised the US on the backfoot, fighting a guerrilla war. It...was not. I hope this game delivers.
    Well, I didn't know what Red Dawn was. :) Wikipedia gave me a hand before I went to sleep.

You should see the movie. It is like, the so bad it's good movie. A great hammy 80's action flick.

The old one, right?

I heard the recent remake was bad bordering on xenophobia.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

I said 80's!

The old one is very xenophobia and nationalistic as well, but in a so bad it's good way rather than just bad.

edited July 2014
    The Russians made their own Red Dawn movie. But with Americans attacking Russia. I forgot what it was called.

Kadoken on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    They made a sequel to Homefront but I'm still waiting on a Beyond Good & Evil sequel.

This fucking planet.

YL9WnCY.png
    Need to dedicate time to that game.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Sources: Crytek UK's Staff No Longer Going To Work
    There's still trouble at Crytek, the independent game developer behind games like Crysis and Ryse. And as of yesterday, the bulk of employees at Crytek's UK office are no longer going to work, according to people familiar with the situation.

Rumors and Kotaku. :/

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    They made a sequel to Homefront but I'm still waiting on a Beyond Good & Evil sequel.

This fucking planet.

This is a company that thinks that there's not enough fan support to create a new Timesplitters, but Homefront? Now that's a hot property that everyone's raving about! Let's put our Free Radical expats on that.

Homefront 2 looks more interesting than it has any right to be, but Crytek has more than a couple of screws jostled loose in the past few years.

Zxerol on
    edited July 2014
    THQ hired them to make the sequel. When THQ went down they put $500k to acquire the IP and continue working on it.

Timesplitters didn't get enough people on a petition if I'm not wrong.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Sources: Crytek UK's Staff No Longer Going To Work
    There's still trouble at Crytek, the independent game developer behind games like Crysis and Ryse. And as of yesterday, the bulk of employees at Crytek's UK office are no longer going to work, according to people familiar with the situation.

Rumors and Kotaku. :/

Also reported at Ars, Polygon, GiantBomb...

Say what you will about Kotaku, I'd put money on all of this being true.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    No doubt. Plenty of sites talked about it before Jason could read the GAF threads. :D

Crytek took a long time to have an engine ready for consoles and spent it burning PC GPUs. Did they really need to make 3 Crysis games in a row?

Now you can see a modest number of developers using it and hopefully they will get some extra cash.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    boo, i kinda wanted to play this just because it was set in Philly. was curious to see what they did to the city, as games set here are crazy rare.

oh well, Crytek we hardly knew ye.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Let's see what happens. Worst case scenario, to me of course, is that they will sell some stuff.

From what I read on GAF Deep Silver wants to acquire Crytek UK along with Homefront.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

From Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/sources-crytek-still-facing-issues-as-homefront-direct-1603582673
    As Crytek continues to face financial difficulties, we're hearing of more departures at the troubled company. This week, Homefront: The Revolution game director Hasit Zala resigned from his position at Crytek UK, according to three people familiar with goings-on at the studio.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

They're getting invaded from the north, not the south. :P

5gsowHm.png
    Those polar bears had good camo then. :D

XBL - ArchSilversmith

Syngyne wrote: »

They're getting invaded from the north, not the south. :P

Thats just want the penguins want you to think!

http://www.totalxbox.com/79194/everybody-at-crytek-uk-wants-to-work-on-timesplitters/
    There's been plenty of negative press about Crytek of late, so here's a ray of sunshine to balance things out - according to Crytek UK animator Mark Jackson, the studio remains absolutely nuts about the long-absent TimeSplitters series. Alas, today isn't the day for any concrete talk about a sequel.

'You would not believe the amount of times people ask for Timesplitters," Jackson told me at Develop a few moments ago during a discussion of the company's present project, Homefront: The Revolution. "I couldn't really comment, but there's a lot of love for it at the studio. I can't really say much more than that."

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I'm nuts about lots of stuff but if I'm about to run out of money that doesn't mean jack.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

I'm going to geuss this game is dead. Between losing a ton of staff whioe at Crytek and then moving to Deep Silver, I'll be surprised if the game comes out.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    I dunno, they took over stewardship of Saints Row pretty well. If what they got of this game was good then they'll probably keep trucking along with it.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    That would actually be quite hilarious. Saints versus North Korea.

IDK how The Saints are going to top 4 though....

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'm going to geuss this game is dead. Between losing a ton of staff whioe at Crytek and then moving to Deep Silver, I'll be surprised if the game comes out.

Alt response: Now this game might actually come out and be good

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126