As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video games must be destroyed with a Giant Bomb.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I am not active in the community any more

But for a long time, the Mother fan community was the least toxic group of gamers I've ever known

Those games are so good, too

instead of death threats and identity theft they made extremely well put-together fanart books and created a professional-grade localization of Mother 3

I always love little community projects like this, they're pretty heartwarming

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    So the Witcher is gonna have a moba too huh

Every franchise you like is going to have a moba, Persona moba, Rune factory moba, TF2 moba, Metal gear moba

I would try out a Metal Gear MOBA

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The attempt to bring Mother 3 to the English-speaking world was like Operation Rainfall, five years earlier

It failed, but it was a huge and aggressive campaign - letter-writing, e-mails, Club Nintendo surveys, calling in to customer feedback lines, the works - and people who participated would do these things once a week for a period of a month

I was part of that

And I owned a Japanese copy of the game. Still do. I also own the (absolutely rad) physical guide that the translation team ended up putting together. The Franklin Badge is still my favorite keychain I own. Solid. Heavy. Really special-feeling.

Man I was in love with that game

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    gastly's french name is fantominus

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    The attempt to bring Mother 3 to the English-speaking world was like Operation Rainfall, five years earlier

It failed, but it was a huge and aggressive campaign - letter-writing, e-mails, Club Nintendo surveys, calling in to customer feedback lines, the works - and people who participated would do these things once a week for a period of a month

I was part of that

And I owned a Japanese copy of the game. Still do. I also own the (absolutely rad) physical guide that the translation team ended up putting together. The Franklin Badge is still my favorite keychain I own. Solid. Heavy. Really special-feeling.

Man I was in love with that game

I like you Wyborn

Its cool to see people connect with games this deeply

I don't really think there are many (any?) games I like this much

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    kim kardashian's daughter is named north west

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    kim kardashian's daughter is named north west

Oh man. Imagine North West being a grown adult who comes up with her own clothing like and calls it "North"

Then we could have "North" by North West.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    reminder that the earthbound fan community offered to relinquish all rights to the translation patch to nintendo if they would release Mother 3 on the virtual console, making the costs of releasing the game in english speaking territories effectively 0

and they refused

There are legal reasons why they couldn't do that. By accepting and using a fan translation, they are legitimizing what boils down to a mod of the game, and Nintendo's really particular about keeping their products close to their chest. They don't want anyone to go in there and fuck with what they approved, period. Not to mention how that translation is closely associated with people pirating the game, so any publicity of them doing that would lead to knowledge that you can totally download this game for free on the internet and get the same experience.

I know the translation is really high quality and we'd be lucky to have one as good in an official release, but the way people keep bringing this up like they're crazy not to just sidesteps the fact that they have entire teams of lawyers telling them DEFINITELY DON'T DO THAT.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Mother 3 is the rare game where it's easily in the running for best games I've ever played but I've only played it once

Now granted I played it back when my family was dissolving and I was living alone for the first time in my life, separated from my original support network by thousands of miles, and my feelings about my parents were reaching the final stages of a very long series of changes

It was very precisely engineered to annihilate me

People it might also do this to: adolescent people, young mothers, young fathers, twins, university students, genderqueer people, the aged

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    It also falls under the blanket guideline of "never use anything fans made officially" that's all over the entertainment industry.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    It also falls under the blanket guideline of "never use anything fans made officially" that's all over the entertainment industry.

I think Nintendo actually has broken this particular rule before

If I remember, Other M was advertised using Theophany's "Alone in the Universe" which was part of a Metroid fan album

But then I might be remembering wrong

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I'm not capable of putting together a well thought out post on all the crappy stuff going on lately.
    But I keep thinking of my time off and on in World of Warcraft. The amount of just toxic crap that would go on in there in on a constant basis in chat. And how strange it seemed that it had reached a weird "it is what it is" level of acceptance. That basically any time I'd pop back in to play again after a hiatus, I'd go out of my way to find a specifically LGBT friendly guild to at least find a group of folks to chat with that likely wouldn't be quite so bad (not always). And then I'd have to wonder is every server generally like this? And I'm already losing my point here. But that mixed with your average depiction of a COD or Halo match voice chat. I feel like unconsciously as a whole the gaming community whatever you want to call it, bred this by establishing a really low bar for behavior standards. It's obviously not clear cut or simple or restricted to just gaming etc. But the fact that all of that just became the norm in many places has probably taught a whole generation of people some really screwed up lessons on how to behave in regards to other people online. The main way to avoid those things became forming your own separate secluded communities while the general pop/pub communities just got worse and worse.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    Edit: Wait apparently I had this backward

Alone in the Universe was based on the Other M commercial theme apparently????

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mother 3 is the rare game where it's easily in the running for best games I've ever played but I've only played it once

Now granted I played it back when my family was dissolving and I was living alone for the first time in my life, separated from my original support network by thousands of miles, and my feelings about my parents were reaching the final stages of a very long series of changes

It was very precisely engineered to annihilate me

People it might also do this to: adolescent people, young mothers, young fathers, twins, university students, genderqueer people, the aged

The only thing that comes close to this for me is ff9

Acceptance of mortality was not something I was really prepared to face at the time

• Options

I think Nintendo actually has broken this particular rule before

If I remember, Other M was advertised using Theophany's "Alone in the Universe" which was part of a Metroid fan album

But then I might be remembering wrong

There's a difference between partnering with fans to advertise a game and selling fanworks as an official product.

sig.gif
  • Options
    And I mean, that's exactly what Valve did for Counter-Strike

but Nintendo's not Valve.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Nintendo's Not Valve, Everyone

We've Figured It Out

We've Cracked The Code

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    explain to me simben how the nintendo corporation stole my idea of mega charizard x which I invented in 1999

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    explain to me simben how the nintendo corporation stole my idea of mega charizard x which I invented in 1999

Did you mail it to yourself?

sig.gif
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    And I mean, that's exactly what Valve did for Counter-Strike

but Nintendo's not Valve.

super mario galaxy 3 confirmed

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    edit: damn youuuuuuuu

AtomicTofu on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I print out and mail to myself every post I make

I've got a brand to protect, here

what with impostors like Hullis and Blank around

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    reminder that the earthbound fan community offered to relinquish all rights to the translation patch to nintendo if they would release Mother 3 on the virtual console, making the costs of releasing the game in english speaking territories effectively 0

and they refused

I am 100% sure there are legitimate reasons why they couldn't just take a translation made by random internet people

Even with, like, signed legal documents from every person that worked on it there are too many potential people involved in an unofficial translation who might raise a legal stink

I begrudge Nintendo many things related to Mother but this is not one.

Edit or what simben said while I was talking to a customer

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    I have a confession to make

in 2007 I spent a summer at nintendo hq convincing mr iwata that the west really hates mother 3

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

I would love for Cody Rhodes to one day stop by the Giant Bomb offices and do his yearly playthough of Link To The Past. Perhaps in character as Stardust.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    I have a confession to make

in 2007 I spent a summer at nintendo hq convincing mr iwata that the west really hates mother 3

Look - Kanye may be the voice of our generation, but I'll decide what games I do and don't like myself, thankyouverymuch.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I'm not capable of putting together a well thought out post on all the crappy stuff going on lately.
    But I keep thinking of my time off and on in World of Warcraft. The amount of just toxic crap that would go on in there in on a constant basis in chat. And how strange it seemed that it had reached a weird "it is what it is" level of acceptance. That basically any time I'd pop back in to play again after a hiatus, I'd go out of my way to find a specifically LGBT friendly guild to at least find a group of folks to chat with that likely wouldn't be quite so bad (not always). And then I'd have to wonder is every server generally like this? And I'm already losing my point here. But that mixed with your average depiction of a COD or Halo match voice chat. I feel like unconsciously as a whole the gaming community whatever you want to call it, bred this by establishing a really low bar for behavior standards. It's obviously not clear cut or simple or restricted to just gaming etc. But the fact that all of that just became the norm in many places has probably taught a whole generation of people some really screwed up lessons on how to behave in regards to other people online. The main way to avoid those things became forming your own separate secluded communities while the general pop/pub communities just got worse and worse.
    Everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of a larger forum. They stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever "truth" suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the last giant bomb thread is almost upon us

secret anime thread?

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    There probably are a lot of legal and business reasons for not adapting the translation that have nothing to do with grudges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FgzkZC0reE

On the other hand

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

secret anime thread?

No because it might not actually be the last giant bomb thread forever

But it will be if we do the anime in it

• Options
    what if nintendo just puts japanese mother 3 on the eshop and wink wink you can patch it with an sd card if u want 2

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Earthbound is still my favorite, but Mother 3 is still an absolutely incredible game (and is better than 2 in some aspects)

xet8c.gif

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

secret anime thread?

"secret"

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    what if nintendo just puts japanese mother 3 on the eshop and wink wink you can patch it with an sd card if u want 2

AFAIK no one's cracked the encryption on nintendo downloads and suchlike

• Options

ACCEPTABLE

No, seriously

If the 3DS had this kind of functionality officially supported I think the community would be happy with it

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I just want to be assured you guys are watching Aldnoah.Zero, Terror in Resonance, Tokyo Ghoul and Akame Ga Kill.

All four of those are rad and ongoing.

Something something man what was Jeff's problem with 100% Orange Juice? I don't even like dice games but it actually looked fun.

• Options

ACCEPTABLE

No, seriously

If the 3DS had this kind of functionality officially supported I think the community would be happy with it

Thaaaaat would also never happen.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.