As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ebola/Zika/Other [Infectious Diseases] Thread

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    shit

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    a CDC life conference is scheduled for CDT 4:30 pm, so in about 5 minutes

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I'd love to say that I'm fairly unconcerned, as I have faith in the US healthcare system to handle the threat.

But I do feel a bit of concern right now.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    It's Texas, it'll be fine. I'm sure someone will shoot the ebola while it's fleeing the scene of the crime (ie - the guy's body)

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I don't envy the people who now have to go through the infected person's itinerary for the past three weeks and track down anyone who may have made physical contact.

I'm not going to be high fiving or shaking any hands for awhile.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    A reminder that human-to-human contact won't be near as common as in Africa, as the disease is spread through bodily fluids, and usually only when symptoms are visible. The cleaner the country, the less of a chance the disease has to spread. So, handing someone a grocery bag isn't as likely to tramsit the disease.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Unless you have been near this person an exchanged bodily fluids with someone lately there's literally zero reason to be concerned about an outbreak.

As with all disease it's important to know te symptoms and be careful but it would take something catastrophic for this to threaten most people in the US.

I'm more worrie about MERS.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    mh.. he returned from liberia on the 19th..

on 25th he felt sick and visited a doctor on the .. 26th, on the 28th he was isolated

so from 24th-25th to the 28th he was possibly infectious and un-isolated, right?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Unless you have been near this person an exchanged bodily fluids with someone lately there's literally zero reason to be concerned about an outbreak.

As with all disease it's important to know te symptoms and be careful but it would take something catastrophic for this to threaten most people in the US.

People with ebola practically sweat blood from a certain point, so everything he touches can become infectious. also, ebola can stay infectious on surfaces for a few days at room temperature.

No panic, but it's pretty infectious, for not being airborne.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    mh.. he returned from liberia on the 19th..

on 25th he felt sick and visited a doctor on the .. 26th, on the 28th he was isolated

so from 24th-25th to the 28th he was possibly infectious and un-isolated, right?

Yeah. You can't transmit until you're already unwell.

So basically you need to screen fairly few people.

I doubt a sick guy with possible Ebola was out hittin the club over the weekend.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

People with ebola practically sweat blood from a certain point, so everything he touches can become infectious. also, ebola can stay infectious on surfaces for a few days at room temperature.

No panic, but it's pretty infectious, for not being airborne.

That's still less infectious than the common cold.

Something to be treated with respect and seriousness, but not something to panic over.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Like this guy was probably not sweating blood at any point.

Otherwise I doubt he'd have been allowed to wander about for a couple days.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    Woohoo! My state won! We're the best!

Oh wait...fffffffffffuuuuuuuuuck.

• Options
    CantelopeCantelope Registered User regular
    I don't have insurance. Even If I'm literally bleeding from my eyes I'll just have a few drinks and hope it goes away (this is my approach to every medical problem). Been uninsured almost my whole adult life, and barely make enough money to continue the life I currently live. I read the survival rate is over 50%, I like those odds. It's better than having to live with the mountain of debt that would result if I went to a hospital. That debt would mess up my credit rating, and make me even less employable than I am now. I've been thinking about what I would do while uninsured if I got an illness that would be terminal without medical intervention for years, and came to the conclusion that it would be best if this is how I handled it a long time ago.

• Options
    Cantelope wrote: »
    I don't have insurance. Even If I'm literally bleeding from my eyes I'll just have a few drinks and hope it goes away (this is my approach to every medical problem). Been uninsured almost my whole adult life, and barely make enough money to continue the life I currently live. I read the survival rate is over 50%, I like those odds. It's better than having to live with the mountain of debt that would result if I went to a hospital. That debt would mess up my credit rating, and make me even less employable than I am now. I've been thinking about what I would do while uninsured if I got an illness that would be terminal without medical intervention for years, and came to the conclusion that it would be best if this is how I handled it a long time ago.

you really think you could live a regular life if you had ebola, left it untreated, and then infected a bunch of people, if you survived?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    No Cantelope, you heard that backwards. More than 50% of people die from it. In fact, this current mortality rate is around 80-90%.

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular

This seems smart and responsible. Nothing says "smart and responsible" like "I'm dead because I bled from the eyes too much, but at least I'm not in debt!"

Good luck with this plan!

• Options
    CantelopeCantelope Registered User regular
    edited September 2014

you really think you could live a regular life if you had ebola, left it untreated, and then infected a bunch of people, if you survived?

At my last job I worked at an office where you were expected to come in if you were hacking up blood, and continue to do so at your desk until your boss decided they had enough of listening to you do it. I know plenty of people who work in offices where the entire office closes down for a few days, every year or so, because too many people get the same contagious sickness cause they continued to work in the office well after it was clear that they were incredibly sick, cause the alternative was getting fired. Plenty of people around me will be doing the same thing.

At most of my jobs it's been communicated to me that even if I was legitimately sick, there are a limited number of sick days they will actually let me take before I get canned. Yes, my plan is crazy, but it is a crazy world that takes our current approach to infectious diseases where money is any consideration at all.

Cantelope on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

This seems smart and responsible. Nothing says "smart and responsible" like "I'm dead because I bled from the eyes too much, but at least I'm not in debt!"

Good luck with this plan!

Given the marginal increase in survivability vs certain crippling debt, that may not actually be a bad plan. Unless those experimental drugs do work

• Options
    In other Ebola news, the BBC is reporting that US health authorities have declared the outbreak "contained" in Senegal and Nigeria after no new cases have been reported in those nations for 20 days. Nigeria could be declared clear of Ebola sometime in October.

Also, poor people go to the emergency room and don't pay their bills. Some idiots might stay home and die, but not in nearly the number required to make this a Liberia level event. People will get sick, some may die, but this isn't going to cause the collapse of civilized society in the United States.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

At my last job I worked at an office where you were expected to come in if you were hacking up blood, and continue to do so at your desk until your boss decided they had enough of listening to you do it. I know plenty of people who work in offices where the entire office closes down for a few days, every year or so, because too many people get the same contagious sickness cause they continued to work in the office well after it was clear that they were incredibly sick, cause the alternative was getting fired. Plenty of people around me will be doing the same thing.

At most of my jobs it's been communicated to me that even if I was legitimately sick, there are a limited number of sick days they will actually let me take before I get canned. Yes, my plan is crazy, but it is a crazy world that takes our current approach to infectious diseases where money is any consideration at all.

And when one of your coworkers goes to the hospital your entire office will be quarantined and if your boss has a problem with that the CDC and National Guard will give him a visit and he'll shut his mouth.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

See this?

This is one of many reasons I think America will do poorly in the event of an outbreak

That for all we know could have just started!

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

See this?

This is one of many reasons I think America will do poorly in the event of an outbreak

1.) I don't believe Cantelope is being genuine

2.) If he is, he's part of a small minority

3.) we have the ability to solve problems like this that African nations do not

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

See this?

1.) I don't believe Cantelope is being genuine

2.) If he is, he's part of a small minority

3.) we have the ability to solve problems like this that African nations do not

Maybe, maybe not.

Fact of the matter is that a lot of people in this country are willfully stupid, lazy, or both.

And everyone that isn't stupid or lazy lives next door to someone who is.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    There's only one case so far, and from what we know of the timeline so far, there don't seem to be any of the same risk factors that were involved in the spread of the disease in any of the other affected countries

• Options
    edited September 2014
    One thing I never see anyone bring up is this:

ok, say we have an outbreak. Even a small one in say, Dallas (haha)

Doctors show up. RNs show up, sure.

You think the CNA making minimum wage is showing up to clean infected bed pans?

Good fucking luck with that. Hospitals have a TON of essential people that make absolute shit for wages that take care of a TON of stuff. Think any of them will show up for work when walmart will hire them for the same amount of money?

Xaquin on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah I think the USA can't handle a viral outbreak the same way a developed country like Nigeria can... Come the fuck on people, jesus.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Good fucking luck with that. Hospitals have a TON of essential people that make absolute shit for wages that take care of a TON of stuff. Think any of them will show up for work when walmart will hire them for the same amount of money?

Yes.

since they deal with horrible infections every day.

Like AIDS.

Or the flu.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I think tv and movies have made people more paranoid about their fellow man than need be. If we were actually crazy selfish rape monsters we never would have made it out of Africa.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah I think the USA can't handle a viral outbreak the same way a developed country like Nigeria can... Come the fuck on people, jesus.

I'm not talking about 1 case, I'm talking about the beginnings of an outbreak.

Have 12 more cases in Dallas, a few pop up in Austin, one or two in whatever city is most connected via air to those locations and then see how things fare.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    My father is convinced that there is an airborne strain now, that it's mutated and because the doctors had hazmat suits and there is absolutely no way they could have been infected any other way.

I'm sure he's getting it from Drudge or some shit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

Yes.

Like AIDS.

Or the flu.

AIDS isn't as easily transmitted and the flu isn't as fatal.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    So you think the USA can't handle a disease like Ebola unlike Nigeria, who can't even guard their own girls from being kidnapped at fucking gun point? Xaquin you are being beyond paranoid and into flat out dumb territory. There aren't 12 more cases in dallas, there aren't anymore in austin. Its one fucking guy, one!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    My father is convinced that there is an airborne strain now, that it's mutated and because the doctors had hazmat suits and there is absolutely no way they could have been infected any other way.

I'm sure he's getting it from Drudge or some shit.

They don't want to touch his fluids.

Like, say, he coughs up blood on their faces.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Is there a source for this whole "sweating blood" thing that keeps popping up in this thread, anyway? As far as I have researched, about half of all people who contract ebola don't even have hemorrhagic symptoms, and of those that do, they're not literally oozing blood from every pore as if their organs are dissolving.

• Options

Yes.

Like AIDS.

Or the flu.

AIDS isn't as easily transmitted and the flu isn't as fatal.

Infection from both for hospital workers is exactly as high as it is for Ebola.

Namely: not fucking very

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The biggest threat from Ebola is brought you us from people with your attitudes, Xaquin.

Mindless panic and paranoia will cause more deaths than the virus will in this nation.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    That's right xaquin, you're worse than ebola
    This post is entirely facetious in case you haven't figured that out

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1