As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Work Internet being rerouted

DedwrekkaDedwrekka MetalHell adjacentRegistered User regular
Hi, maybe someone here can help me with this. The internet is screwy at work, all of our traffic is being redirected to an IIS7 page or a TWC "activate my modem" page. I've checked it for malware via Norton and Spybot, and tried to ping various sites. All my pings were rerouting either to the AWS site address (the Time Warner "set up your modem" site) or an internal XXX.0.0.1 address (the modem, also the source of the IIS7 page)

I'm thinking that this is a modem problem, but I'm not sure and we don't have an in-house IT person (hence why I am checking).

• Options
    NathrakNathrak Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Could be lingering issues from their massive outage earlier. Article.
    Seems like they had DNS issues and that could fit with your problem. Somewhere on either your modem or router you could try changing DNS server to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 (Google's public DNS servers).
    Also possible to change it in network settings of one computer just to test first if you're cautious about messing something up.
    Try putting 50.0.2.241 in address bar of browser and if that loads up Google I would say it's definitely the TWC dns server.

*Edit: Also try turning modem/router off and on again if nothing else. It's obvious but overlooked sometimes and is said a lot jokingly but hey it also can work.

Nathrak on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Tried entering the IP address, and it timed out. Any HTML address gets redirected to local IP, but IP addresses get timed out.

I've gone over this with two separate IT groups (our call-in center and that of the people we're contracted to). Both seem to agree with you that it's probably an ISP side problem.

I've reset the modem through unplugging it and through the device's config page. The device is not being assigned an IP address.

Also, I need to have a talk to whoever is supposed to be our network admin about leaving switches and modems on default security.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Have you contacted the ISP? If you were getting their 'register' site it sounds like the modem may not be provisioned to let you online. Which, barring any account problems, should be an easy fix on their side.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I contacted the ISP late yesterday and we discovered the problem.

The internet bill wasn't paid for three months.

Thanks for all the help, but it turns out to be a finance problem, not a technology problem. However I still ended up needing to contact both IT departments to get the account info.