As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Leg bump

Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys,

Yep, this is another "what's wrong with me?" thread, but it's always fun to check with random strangers before heading to the doctor's so I thought I'd ask :P

For over a month now, I've had a slight pain in my left lower leg when I put pressure on it (as in: standing up from a crouching position, climbing stairs, getting out of a car, etc). It's only slight pain, but still enough to be annoying. While massaging my leg just below the knee, to see if I could identify the source of the pain, I discoverd a hard bump on the front of my tibia, just below the knee. The bump is very hard, almost as hard as the bone, and it hurts when I push down on it.

At first I figured I must have just bumped my shin on something, but I'm thinking it must have been at least 4 weeks now (maybe more) and it hasn't gone away.

So H/A, anyone else every experience this or anything similar? Let me know what you think.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
Romantic Undead on

• Options
    EskimoAznEskimoAzn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For some reason, I thought this was going to be about a razorburn.
    Anyway, unless you tend to bruise easily and your bumps tend to last awhile, I'd go see a doc.
    I'm one of those people, but my bruises and bumps never last more than 2-3 weeks.
    Also, It may be an infection if you got cut or scratched there recently.
    But, it's better safe than sorry, and maybe the doc will give you some nice pain killers :)

EskimoAzn on
    "It's because I'm an Asian, isn't it???"
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm about 90% sure it's not an infected cut, simply 'cause I'm pretty sure I would have noticed if I'd broken the skin :P

But yeah, that's the most annoying thing, I don't know where this thing came from, I just started feeling it one day and was like "when the fuck did this happen?"

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This sounds exactly like something I got when I was 14-15, a bony bump just below my right kneecap that hurt like a bitch when I knelt on it, and pain when fully extending my leg. Had a doctor look at it while I was in for a routine checkup and he said it was Tibial Apophysitis.

I'm obviously not a doctor and I can't diagnose this for you but this might provide you a tack for continuing more research on your own to help eliminate possibilities.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    That sounds a bit like what I might have except for two things:

One: I'm 29, and way past being an adolescent
    Two: I wouldn't call it "especially" painful. More like a dull stinging. Enough to elicit a grunt, but not nearly enough to be almost "disabling"

I wonder if a regular pulled tendon (as opposed to Apophysistis) would have the same/similar effect.

Should I blame all the DDR I've been playing lately?

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I wonder if a regular pulled tendon (as opposed to Apophysistis) would have the same/similar effect.

That's certainly a possibility. One you should discuss with your doctor. Srsly dude.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have similar pains, but that's more likely due to the surgery I had on my meniscus than anything else.
    I'd get it checked out though, yeah. :)

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Maybe a cyst (build up of fluid)? Can you get those near your knee? I've gotten them on my wrist quite a few times and they are similar to what you are describing, but it's tough to tell from your description.

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

That's certainly a possibility. One you should discuss with your doctor. Srsly dude.

I know I know, I'm planning to, but it's still interesting to know what I might be getting into and wether or not I'm over reacting. Also, my doctor is at the other end of town and will cost me a 30$ cab ride to get to, ya know? :P

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You will want to consult a physician pronto, and maybe even a dermitologist.

I havd a bump on the back of my leg that my doctor thought was a cyst, and the dermatologist called her a quack, identifying it as a brown recluse bite instantly (it never burst) I had to get it cut open and evacuated, and by time that happened it was so swollen her could not stitch me up, I had top leave an open would with gauss over it for five weeks.

Could be something different with you, but after four weeks you really need to have this looked at.

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • Options
    tech_huntertech_hunter More SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    JPArbiter wrote: »
    You will want to consult a physician pronto, and maybe even a dermitologist.

I havd a bump on the back of my leg that my doctor thought was a cyst, and the dermatologist called her a quack, identifying it as a brown recluse bite instantly (it never burst) I had to get it cut open and evacuated, and by time that happened it was so swollen her could not stitch me up, I had top leave an open would with gauss over it for five weeks.

Could be something different with you, but after four weeks you really need to have this looked at.

You were pretty lucky dude Brown Recluse poison has a Necrotic effect on tissue, you probably hadnt been bitten too long after you went to the doctor. I know someones husband that got bitten and he didnt get it looksed at right away and he now has no foot and has heart complications due to the infection.

tech_hunter on
    Sig to mucho Grande!
  • Options
    JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It was a week after I was bitten that it was evacuated, and I know what that can do to tissue, I saw the stuff he pulled out of the back of my knee.

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Did you whang it hard at some point in your life? Could be a bone spur that made it's way to the surface.

In any case, all of the options presented so far, while not serious, need to be looked at by a doctor, so you may as well go. :)

crake on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'll make an appointment tomorrow and let you guys know the results. Thanks! :)

Romantic Undead on