As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] Tragedy Looper: First Script (Spoilers!) - Loop 2, Day 1

InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats.Registered User regular
edited October 2014 in Critical Failures
Welcome to a pbp of Tragedy Looper! A board game about travelling back in time to stop a nefarious Mastermind from unleashing terrible events upon the innocent (well, sometimes innocent)!

We'll be playing the intro scenario First Script, so, if you happen to own the game, don't read the Mastermind Handbook! Most players of the game are pretty good about spoilers, but still, try to avoid going looking for them.

You can read the full rulebook here: http://zmangames.com/rulebooks/Tragedy_Looper_Rulebook.pdf

You can also download the nicely formated player aid right here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/109043/tragedy-looper-first-steps-player-aid
You are going to want to have that downloaded or bookmarked, as the information on it is how you are going to figure out what is going on.

Looking for 3 players, and if this is succesful, we can move on to a more difficult scenario.

Goodwill = :heartbeat:
Paranoia = :hydra:
Intrigue = :evil:

Play will be done by posting your card play in Bold after the Mastermind Cards have been played "facedown". Once an action has been bolded, it cannot be undone unless it is an illegal move.

Table Talk is Open for this Script, so feel free to fully discuss all of your moves, but all talk must happen inside the thread.

Signup in a post below via !signup.

Current Players:
1. Jam Warrior
2. Hedgethorn
3. Capfalcon

Reserves:
--

Character Summaries
Doctor
Paranoia Limit: 2
(Adult/Man)
:heartbeat::heartbeat: - Remove or add 1 Paranoia (:hydra:) to any other character in this Location. If the Doctor's role has Goodwill refusal, the Mastermind may use this ability as his own.
:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:- The Patient may go outside the hospital for the rest of the loop.

Shrine Maiden
(Student/Girl)
The Shrine Maiden may not visit the City
:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat: - If in the Shrine: Remove 1 Intrigue (:evil) from the Shrine.
:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat: - Reveal the role of any character in this location.

Girl Student
Paranoia Limit: 3
(Student/Girl)
:heartbeat::heartbeat: - Remove 1 Paranoia (:hydra:) from any other student in this location.

Boy Student
(Student/Boy)
:heartbeat::heartbeat: - Remove 1 Paranoia (:hydra:) from any other student in this location

Police Officer
Paranoia Limit: 3
(Adult/Man)
:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat: - Reveal the culprit behind any incident that has occurred in this loop.
:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat: - When death in this location happens: Prevent it.

Office Worker
(Adult/Man)
The Office Worker may not visit the School
:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat: - Reveal this character's role.

Turn Summary
1. Day Start - Morning
Day start effects happen here.

2. Mastermind action
Plays 3 cards face down on characters/locations. Not more than one on the same character/location.

3. Protagonists actions
Play one card each face down on characters/locations. Not able to play a card on the same character/location as another Protagonist.

4. Cards are resolved
Reveal all cards and resolve them. After, return all cards to their respective owners, exccept Once Per Loop cards that are put to the side for the remainder of the loop.

5. Mastermind abilities
Uses whatever abilities are applicable.

6. Leader uses Goodwill abilities
Leader declares which abilities he uses, and any targets. Mastermind resolves the effects--may refuse to resolve the effects if the character using the ability has Goodwill Refusal.

7. Incidents Happen
If there is an Incident for this day, announce if it happens or not, and then the resolution. Requires the Culprit to be alive and have enough Paranoia to happen, and a valid target and secondary conditions to be successful.

8. Switch Leader
Next player becomes leader.

9. Day End - Night
Day end effects happen here.

If this was not the last day, repeat from Step One.

If this was the last day, End the Loop.

Card List
This is a list of the action cards that the Protagonists and the Mastermind use, together with some details on exactly how the cards work. Use this if some effects conflict and/or you don’t know in what order to resolve things. “Together” here means “played on the same location or character”.

PROTAGONIST CARDS
Paranoia +1
Place 1 Paranoia counter on this character. If together with a Forbid Paranoia, the Forbid takes precedence and nothing happens. If together with a Paranoia –1, the +1 goes first.
Placed on a location, nothing happens.

Paranoia –1 only once per loop
Remove 1 Paranoia counter from this character. If together with a Forbid Paranoia, the Forbid takes precedence and nothing happens. If together with a Paranoia +1, the +1 goes first. Placed on a location, nothing happens.

Goodwill +1
Place 1 Goodwill counter on this character. If together with a Forbid Goodwill, the Forbid takes precedence and nothing happens. Placed on a location, nothing happens.

Goodwill +2 only once per loop
Place 2 Goodwill counters on this character. If together with a Forbid Goodwill, the Forbid takes precedence and nothing happens. Placed on a location, nothing happens.

Forbid Intrigue
If on the same spot as an Intrigue +1 or +2 , this takes precedence and nothing happens. However, if 2 or more players have played Forbid Intrigue on the same day (no matter where on the playing field), they nullify each other.

Movement - Vertical
This character moves either up or down. If together with another vertical movement, it’s still a vertical movement (they do not nullify each other). If together with a horizontal movement, they combine to form a diagonal movement. If together with a diagonal movement, they combine to form a horizontal movement. If placed on a location, nothing happens.

Movement - Horizontal
This character moves either left or right. If together with another horizontal movement, it’s still a horizontal movement (they do not nullify each other). If together with a vertical movement, they combine to form a diagonal movement. If together with a diagonal movement, they combine to form a vertical movement. If placed on a location, nothing happens.

Forbid Movement only once per loop
If together with a Movement card, the Forbid takes precedence and nothing happens.

MASTERMIND CARDS
2x Paranoia +1
Place 1 Paranoia counter on this character. If together with a Paranoia –1, the +1 goes first.
If placed on a location, nothing happens. The Mastermind has 2 of these.

Paranoia –1
Remove 1 Paranoia counter from this character. If together with a Paranoia +1, the +1 goes first. If placed on a location, nothing happens.

Forbid Paranoia
If together with a Paranoia +1 or Paranoia –1, the Forbid takes precedence and nothing happens.
If placed on a location, nothing happens.

Forbid Goodwill
If together with a Goodwill +1 or Goodwill +2, the Forbid takes precedence and nothing happens. If placed on a location, nothing happens.

Intrigue +1
Place 1 Intrigue counter on this character or location. If together with a Forbid Intrigue card, and only one Forbid Intrigue card is played this day, the Forbid takes precedence and nothing happens.

Intrigue +2 only once per loop
Place 2 Intrigue counters on this character or location. If together with a Forbid Intrigue card, and only one Forbid Intrigue card is played this day, the Forbid takes precedence and nothing happens.

Movement - Vertical
This character moves either up or down. If together with Forbid Movement, the Forbid takes
precedence and nothing happens. If together with another vertical movement, it’s still a vertical movement (they do not nullify each other). If together with a horizontal movement, they combine to form a diagonal movement. If placed on a location, nothing happens.

Movement - Horizontal
This character moves either left or right. If together with Forbid Movement, the Forbid takes
precedence and nothing happens. If together with another horizontal movement, it’s still a horizontal movement (they do not nullify each other). If together with a vertical movement, they combine to form a diagonal movement. If placed on a location, nothing happens.

Movement - Diagonal only once per loop
This character moves diagonally. If together with Forbid Movement, the Forbid takes precedence and nothing happens. If together with a horizontal movement, they combine to form a vertical movement. If together with a vertical movement, they combine to form a horizontal movement. If placed on a location, nothing happens.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
InkSplat on

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Dangit, beaten to the punch. I was gonna run a Tragedy Looper game after getting back from Japan. But being that I will be in Japan for a week and having already been spoiled on the intro script, I won't be able to play. Good luck with it, though!

By the way... what kind of level of table talk are you going to set for the opening group of players?

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Dangit, beaten to the punch. I was gonna run a Tragedy Looper game after getting back from Japan. But being that I will be in Japan for a week and having already been spoiled on the intro script, I won't be able to play. Good luck with it, though!

By the way... what kind of level of table talk are you going to set for the opening group of players?

Oh, thanks for reminding me! I meant to add that to the op--It'll be totally open Table Talk for now. If it goes well enough and I start running games using the Basic Scripts, I'll start limiting it.

If I run another game after this with a Script you haven't spoiled yourself on, I'll be sure to @ you!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2014
    !signup The very concept of this game intrigues me so.

What are the table talk limitations going to be? The rulebook says to decide them before you begin.

Already answered. Hurrah for open talk. Including being able to discuss the cards we'll play?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    !signup The very concept of this game intrigues me so.

What are the table talk limitations going to be? The rulebook says to decide them before you begin.

I added it to the OP while you were reading! Table Talk is open. You guys are free to discuss everything for this Script. Just nothing outside the thread.

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Sign me up!

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Time Travel?
    Time Travel!

Can I play a anthropomorphic frog?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    Time Travel?
    Time Travel!

Can I play a anthropomorphic frog?

Only if you stop Lavos from awakening.

• Options
    Alright! Let the games begin! @Jam Warrior@Hedgethorn‌ @Capfalcon‌ Let me know if any of the formatting doesn't work for you. Using the Code bbcode seemed like the easiest way to do this, but I can switch to images if needs be!

THE FIRST SCRIPT
    Script Set: First Steps
    # of Loops: 3
    # of Days per Loop: 4

INCIDENTS
    Day 2 - Murder
    Day 3 - Suicide

Initiating Loop One...
    Day One...

Lights pulse and flash around you as the world spins. You hear laughter, and sobbing, and warmth, and screams. You can't make sense of anything as the convoluted dreamscape writhes around you. Where are you? What's going on?

Murder. You feel the word like a knife.

Suicide. Your cheeks feel wet with tears.

Then put your little hand in mine
    There ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb...

You wake up, a song on the radio pulling you from your nightmare and into the bright, shinning morning sun.

THE BOARD
    |      HOSPITAL      |      SHRINE
    |--------------------|--------------------
    | Doctor (M)         | Shrine Maiden
    |       CITY         |      SCHOOL
    | Police Officer     | Boy Student
    | Office Worker (M)  | Girl Student (M)

CHARACTER STATUSES
    Doctor -- (Mastermind Card)
    Shrine Maiden --
    Police Officer --
    Office Worker -- (Mastermind Card)
    Boy Student --
    Girl Student -- (Mastermind Card)

@Jam Warrior‌ is the Leader for Day 1.

• Options
    Er, um, so for lack of much direction to begin shall we start working on the Goodwill of the most obviously useful people?

Also seeing as we're being entirely open here we might as well just post our card choices here in the thread right?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    That seems a good starting strategy to me. Perhaps start with the Office Worker, the Maiden, and the Police Officer as the targets of our good will?

• Options
    Seems solid to me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Post your moves in bold to lock them in. Player order doesn't really matter with open tabletalk.

• Options
    Goodwill +1 on office worker

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Goodwill +1 on the Shrine Maiden.

• Options
    Also, I know it might seem weird to have you individually post your moves when its all open and if you might have come to a consensus (though, in this case, Capfalcon hasn't said anything), I just want to make sure there are no misunderstandings on my part later on when the decisions become a bit less clear-cut and quick!

• Options
    The Goodwill +2 card is limited to "once per loop" -- is that once per loop per protagonist, or can the three of us only play one +2 card total?

• Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    The Goodwill +2 card is limited to "once per loop" -- is that once per loop per protagonist, or can the three of us only play one +2 card total?

Once per Loop per Protagonist. So you could each play your +2 Goodwill card during the same Loop.

• Options
    +1 goodwill on Police Officer

• Options
    edited October 2014
    @Jam Warrior@Hedgethorn‌ @Capfalcon‌

CARDS REVEALED
    THE BOARD
    |       HOSPITAL       |      SHRINE
    |----------------------|--------------------
    | Doctor (M)           | Shrine Maiden
    |       CITY           |      SCHOOL
    | Police Officer (P)   | Boy Student
    | Office Worker (M)(P) | Girl Student (M)

CHARACTER STATUSES
    Doctor -- (+1 Paranoia)
    Shrine Maiden -- (+1 Goodwill)
    Police Officer -- (+1 :Goodwill)
    Office Worker -- (+1 Paranoia) (+1 :Goodwill)
    Boy Student --
    Girl Student -- (Move Vertical)

CARD RESOLUTION
    THE BOARD
    | Doctor               | Shrine Maiden
    |                      | Girl Student
    | Police Officer       | Boy Student
    | Office Worker        |

CHARACTER STATUSES
    Doctor -- :hydra:/2
    Shrine Maiden -- :heartbeat:
    Police Officer -- :heartbeat:
    Office Worker -- :hydra:/2 , :heartbeat:
    Boy Student --
    Girl Student --

MASTERMIND ABILITIES
    None used.

LEADER ABILITIES
    None able to be used.

NIGHT APPROACHES
    Girl Student is Dead.
    Loop Ends.
    Enter Time Spiral.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    Well that was quick!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    So...

Shrine Maiden is Serial Killer.

Girl Student is Key Person.

Can you see any other options?

Ooh, If I'm understanding things that means we also now know we're on Shadow of the Ripper subplot and either Murder Plan or A Place to Protect plot.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Also @InkSplat unless movement is far more confusing than is necessary, I'm assuming that the movement card played on the Girl Student was 'vertical', not 'horizontal' right?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Also @InkSplat unless movement is far more confusing than is necessary, I'm assuming that the movement card played on the Girl Student was 'vertical', not 'horizontal' right?

I don't know what you're talking about. >.>
    Whoops.

• Options
    Next Loop coming up. I'm going to be headed out the door to a wedding here in a few minutes, so I probably won't have many chances to answer questions for the rest of the night, but feel free to ask anyway and I'll get back to you when I get home!

THE FIRST SCRIPT

INCIDENTS
    Day 2 - Murder
    Day 3 - Suicide

Initiating Loop Two...
    Day One...

Lights pulse and flash around you as the world spins. You hear laughter, and sobbing, and warmth, and sýcreams. The scream sticks with you, belonging to a young girl. You see her bloody hand reaching out out of the darkness and then...

Then put your little hand in mine
    There ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb

...you wake up, a song on the radio pulling you from your nightmare and into the bright, shinning morning sun.

THE BOARD
    |      HOSPITAL      |      SHRINE
    | Doctor (M)         | Shrine Maiden
    |       CITY         |      SCHOOL
    | Police Officer     | Boy Student
    | Office Worker (M)  | Girl Student (M)

CHARACTER STATUSES
    Shrine Maiden --
    Police Officer --
    Office Worker -- (Mastermind Card)
    Boy Student --
    Girl Student -- (Mastermind Card)

@Hedgethorn‌ "‌ is the Leader for Loop 2, Day 1.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Unless you guys find a flaw in my maths I'm going straight in for Forbid Movement on Girl Student which should keep her safe from the Shrine Shanker.

Hope you don't mind me putting it in now. Not wanting to Quarterback but also not wanting to let my UK timezone hold things up!

There's a chance he might be sticking some suicidal paranoia on her instead but we can tackle that when it appears as the only other ways I can see us guaranteeing safety from the Serial Killer risk potentially sacrificing someone else.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    We should be wary of a Conspiracy Theorist fuelled Paranoia bum rush or our Key Person is going to suicide on day three. Perhaps the Boy Student could help with that?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    If I'm not mistaken, there's nothing saying the suicide culprit has to be the same as the Key Person. But we should beware of it.

Goodwill +2 on Boy Student.

The Boy Student can protect us from losing to the murder culprit gaining sufficient paranoia in the school. We also need to beware the Killer getting two Intrigue in the school (via a card and the Brain's ability).

@Capfalcon may want to put a Forbid Intrigue in the school.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    No but the Key Person is the only one who will end the loop by being killed.

I think our only loss conditions are:

Death of Key Person.

And then either 2 intrigue on School or 4 intrigue on Killer depending on our main plot.

Those second two seem fairly manageable. I reckon it's going to be keeping the Key Person alive that's the challenge.

I reckon we can save forbidding intrigue on the school for when we see a card on it (though beware the Cultist!) but it's Caps call. We do have three uses of the card and only four days.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Just a note, Forbid Intrigue won't block the Cultist, so if there's no card on the School, then a Forbid Intrigue card played on the school wouldn't do anything.

• Options
  • Options
    Sorry, thought I posted

!Play Forbid Intrigue School

• Options
    @Capfalcon you sure you want to do that? Like I said above, since there's no card played on the school, your play won't actually do anything.

• Options
    Cap, it's probably better to play a Goodwill on the office worker. Sorry for the bad advice in my previous post.

• Options
    Oh, I thought it stuck around for some reason.

+2 goodwill on office worker.

• Options

CARDS REVEALED
    THE BOARD
    | Doctor (M)           | Shrine Maiden
    | Police Officer       | Boy Student (P)
    | Office Worker (M)(P) | Girl Student (M)(P)

CHARACTER STATUSES
    Doctor -- (Move Vertical)
    Shrine Maiden --
    Police Officer --
    Office Worker -- (+2 Intrigue) (+2 :Goodwill)
    Boy Student -- (+2 Goodwill)
    Girl Student -- (+1 Intrigue)(Forbid Movement)

CARD RESOLUTION
    THE BOARD
    |                      | Shrine Maiden
    | Office Worker        | Girl Student
    | Doctor               |

CHARACTER STATUSES
    Doctor --
    Shrine Maiden --
    Police Officer --
    Office Worker -- :evil::evil: , :heartbeat::heartbeat:
    Boy Student -- :heartbeat::heartbeat: -> Can remove 1 Paranoia (:hydra:) from one character at his location.
    Girl Student -- :evil:

MASTERMIND ABILITIES
    The Officeworker gains 1 Intrigue.

LEADER ABILITIES
    None able to be used.

CHARACTER STATUSES
    Doctor --
    Shrine Maiden --
    Police Officer --
    Office Worker -- :evil::evil::evil: , :heartbeat::heartbeat:
    Boy Student -- :heartbeat::heartbeat: -> Can remove 1 Paranoia (:hydra:) from one character at his location.
    Girl Student -- :evil:

NIGHT APPROACHES
    The night passes peacefully.

• Options
    THE FIRST SCRIPT

INCIDENTS
    Day 2 - Murder
    Day 3 - Suicide

Initiating Loop Two...
    Day Two...

The sun rises and you wake feeling hopeful, as there's a new song playing on the radio. Thus far, you've managed to avert the tragedy. But you know the worst is still to come.

THE BOARD
    |                      | Shrine Maiden
    | Office Worker (M)     | Girl Student (M)
    | Doctor (M)           |

CHARACTER STATUSES
    Shrine Maiden --
    Police Officer --
    Office Worker -- :evil::evil::evil: , :heartbeat::heartbeat: (Mastermind Card)
    Girl Student -- :evil: (Mastermind Card)

• Options
    So with that Mastermind Ability to add one intrigue, that means there has to be a Brain. So unless I'm mistaken, we now know the following:

Plot: Murder Plan
    Subplot: Shadow of the Ripper

Key Person: Girl Student
    Killer: ??? (perhaps the Office Worker, given that InkSplat is raising his Intrigue so high -- 4 intrigue is a loss condition)
    Brain: Police Officer or Doctor or Office Worker

Conspiracy Theorist: ???
    Serial Killer: Shrine Maiden

Murder Culprit: ???
    Suicide Culprit: ???

• Options
    Indon't think the murder/suicide need to be set people. Just anyone with enough paranoia on the right day. Right @InkSplat‌ ?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Each incident has a pre-determined Culprit. So, the Culprit of the Murder can kill anyone, but the Suicide Culprit can only kill themselves. But those Culprits are set from the start, so only a single character is capable of committing Suicide.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    I see...

So if we leave the girl where she is I can't see a way he can get two Paranoia on anyone at the school in one turn.

I propose Shrine Maiden to Move Vertical as I think the school will soon be crowded which will neuter her threat.
    Then maybe intrigue/movement management on office worker and maybe some preemptive paranoia management on our key girl?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif