As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pBp][IKRPG] Bitter Medicine - Adventure Over! Thanks for Playing!

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Geth roll 2d6+5

2d6+5 12 [2d6=4, 3]

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    DrakeRaids057DrakeRaids057 Registered User regular
    edited November 2014
    Sophika held her wound and nodded at the woman, "Regardless of our own situation, the good doctor must be rescued. I will do everything in my power to help in this venture, as limited as my aid may be. Menoth guide our hand."

Geth roll 2d6+6
    Looks like Sophika makes the check

2d6+6 16 [2d6=4, 6]

DrakeRaids057 on
  • Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Geth roll 2d6+5

2d6+5 15 [2d6=4, 6]

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    sorry for the lack of posts, Dragon Age is eating my life. I'll do a bit up tomorrow at the latest

Geth roll 2d6+5 for the BLOODSWEATS

the BLOODSWEATS:
    2d6+5 16 [2d6=5, 6]

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Well, the target number was 14 plus the number of enemies killed (to represent the level of contagion that you were exposed to, I suppose) so...

You have a wounded bandit (who really doesn't have a lot of time left) and a missing Doctor who could be your (and Bainsmarket's) only salvation. And a quite distinctive trail of horse and wagon heading up into the mountains. Mounts are available. Some of you have your own, and there are some left over bandit horses milling about sans riders.

What's next?
    [/spoilers]

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited November 2014
    so the difficulty was 19 for everybody? Or individual based on how many we each killed?

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    18, actually. I'm not counting the guy that got run over by the train. His blood is not spilled all over the battlefield, but all over the tracks a few miles back. :)

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Tavish looks around.

"It looks like we've got to seek help, or we've got to chase after the good doctor. I think the chase sounds like the nobler option, and the most likely to succeed in recovering the man while there's still time for him to be of use. There's no sense in riding out of our way to bring back help too late, perhaps furthering the spread of plague as we do. "

He nods respectfully at Sophika and Shael, then also briefly acknowledges the more civilized and less overtly warlike Kaelin, Aidin/James, and Alma.

"I'm sure I won't be riding alone, I see the foundation of a capable company here."

He he addresses the train operators - the engineer, the conductor, such wardens and car staff as still live.

"You seemed familiar with these bandits. Tell us all you know of them, and if you please, can you spare men, mounts or supplies for this errand, the recovery of your passenger and the help he offers the towns you operate in?"
    Specifically, we could use lamps, water, horses at a minimum but anything offered would be appreciated

Also, rules query, do you have to spend your quick action every turn to stay in cover, or once you are in cover, like a low wall or something, can you load a single shot firearm and shoot over the wall in the same turn?

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Most of the passengers and train crew are visibly shaken at the news that most likely everyone on board has now contracted a fatal disease. Poor Alma is surrounded by passengers begging for help, and all she can do is say, "Please! Dr. Gateau is only one who can brew up the cure. The sooner we find him, the sooner we can get to work on it. Just stay calm."

At least the experienced Train engineer has enough sense to stay calm and get everybody moving. He shouts for the passengers to calm down. He sends some to collect any wayward horses and supplies from the downed Raiders. Others he sends to help his conductors and wardens to see to the train. His subordinate engineers he sends to gather what coal and water supplies they can spare and prepare them to be shipped on horseback. Kaelin's steamjack will need the supplies for the chase.

While food, water, coal, lamps and spare clothing are all being gathered. The engineer kicks at the wounded bandit, eliciting a groan. "These here bastards are a gang of highwaymen and ruffians known as the Wrymwall Raiders. Most of 'em are deserters from the 3rd Army. I thought I heard the name Shanke out there? Yeah, Darvon Shanke, one the lieutenants of the gang. Bad news. The Boss is named Bayton Rookwood. By all accounts a despicable man. A Vinter loyalist, he turned his coat after the Lion's Coup and took most of his company with him. They his villages and mines 'round these parts. Trains too, obviously. Even took on a military patrol once or twice.

"Looks like these fools are all sick too. No doubt they cleaned out my trains of all the medical supplies we were hauling to Bainsmarket. Not that these degenerates could do anything with 'em 'cept rub some dirt on their wounds. But James over there says your Doc was helping patch up his shot-up leg when the Raiders saw that was medically inclined. So they knocked him out and threw him out the door to another man on horseback. Just our luck they found a special, fancy doctor who was going to cure everybody of the Sweats.

Listen, I don't want to die any more than anyone else here. 'Specially not with my blood runnin' out of my eyeballs. I'll get the train fixed up and keep these people safe. You go get us that fancy Doctor back."

Sometime during the conversation, the Raider had breathed his last, and was just another corpse on the train.

"15 crowns to whomever gets this filth off my train.":

Everyone regain Vitality points equal to your PHY score. Lets say it will take at least 3 hours to get your shit together before riding on? That's another 3 Vitality points back on your spirals. That should be more than enough to get everyone back to full health.

So we have consensus? You are all riding after the Doctor? I guess you kind of have to, if you want your PC's to last more than a few months. But if you want, we can say to hell with Dr. Gateau can make those last few months glorious.

re: Cover
    I looked it up recently. You really DO have to spend a quick action every round to gain the benefits of cover. It seemed kind of harsh at first, but on reflection it really makes you choose between offense and defense from round to round. In a game that really favours aggression and going out there and kicking ass, hiding behind something has a definite cost. (Sometimes, the benefits of cover are granted such as in a Cloud effect and you don't need to spend the point. But if you are hiding behind a rock, you need to spend a quick action.) I'm not 100% I like how it plays, but I kind of dig the idea?

Another thing to look out for is that it costs separate quick actions to reload a simple firearm. One to dig the bullet out of your pocket and an another to put in your gun. There are mitigating factors, like ammo bandoleers and the Ability to get an extra quick action only for reloading, but still...

Steelhawk on
  • Options
  • Options
    Shael nods to the others she fought alongside in the crowd.
    "I can track these scum into the mountains, I've got no fear of them. I'm used to working on my own, but with the numbers we saw, I'm glad for your help. Now let's move quickly, before more of these folk need saving."
    Geth roll 2d6+5 for Tracking the Wyrmwall Bandits.

Yeah, quick actions are in hot supply but they're easy to pick up with abilities. If you don't have a quiver or bandolier, you either need multiple weapons or repeaters. I really actually like the action economy of this game. It's fun!

Tracking the Wyrmwall Bandits:
    2d6+5 10 [2d6=2, 3]

• Options
    I can actually also track, is there a rule for ganging up/assisting?

• Options
    Yes! All helpers make a roll vs. 15. If you succeed, you add 1 per helper to the roll of the designated tracker.

ie: Shael is the designated tracker and rolled a 10. If Tavish rolls a 15, then Shael's roll counts as 11.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Geth roll 2d6+3 for helpin' with the trackin'

Seeing tracking going on, Tavish points vaguely in the direction the bandits rode toward...

"They went....that way!"

helpin' with the trackin':
    2d6+3 10 [2d6=6, 1]

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    #teambow4life

Bows follow the same rules. Having a quiver means you can draw & nock the bow using one quick action instead of two.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    that's still pretty good until you get into the "affording a repeater" bracket

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Kaelin Bastille

Kaelin rips through her suitcase for anything more useful. She snatches up her ammo bandolier and assorted goods she might need. Climbing up on the seats to get her 'jack wrench she nearly tumbled back from the weight of it. She wasn't going to allow her countryman to get kidnapped like that. She owed it to her mother, father, bothers & sisters to do everything in her power to rescue the good doctor.

It was clear that whoever her protecter was supposed to be was a no-show. She was on her own. Well, maybe not completely. There was one problem: she didn't trust any of these people. Especially not the elf or troll. There was only one person she trusted now.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    @Steelhawk‌ We did get our PHY back on the life spiral, right? I just don't see our newly adjusted totals anywhere.

• Options
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    @Steelhawk‌ We did get our PHY back on the life spiral, right? I just don't see our newly adjusted totals anywhere.
    Yeah, I didn't post a new stat block yet. I will when we get to the next encounter. You have all earned back vitality equal to your PHY score + 3.

• Options
    Aidan di Ormino

As Kaelin rifles through her things, Aidan grabs her arms and whispers, "Where do you think you are going petite? Do you intend to risk everything we have done to help these people?"

• Options
    edited November 2014
    edit

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Kaelin Bastille

Kaelin was stunned that anyone would dare touch her. She then recognized the voice.

"What have we accomplished? Ferried me from hiding place to hiding place? My parents would be so proud, oui?" Kaelin whispered back. She wrenched her arm from his grip as she stood up. "I won't abandon a fellow like my more cowardly kinsmen.

"Dr. Gateau is not your countryman; he is mine" Kaelin said aloud. "I cannot stop you from coming but it is not your responsibility to rescue the doctor." Hefting the large 'jack wrench over her shoulder, she marched to the back of the train to wake up the person she could trust, Monsieur Sifflets.
    Editted down part of the previous post to make more sense in the timeline.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    @JohnnyCache‌ You probably shouldn't quote in-character posts in a PBP.

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    @JohnnyCache‌ You probably shouldn't quote in-character posts in a PBP.
    force of habit

"Borders are just imaginary things you dig trenches around. He was coming here to help the sick. Sounds like if he's not my countryman he oughta be. I'm bored of trains, anyway."

Tavish begins readying his mount, who seems damn glad to be on solid ground again.

• Options
    A chill wind blows in from the east as you all gather outside the train, prepared to depart. The remaining riderless horses have been gathered in one location. The ground around the train churned up from all the activity. Mounting up on your steeds, laden with supplies, you set out after Doctor Gateau. Perhaps not so surprisingly, Alma has opted to join you. She is very anxious to find her mentor, and determined to help in any way she can. Awkward in the saddle and useless in combat, her medicines may come in handy.

Shael and Tavish easily find the trail of the bandits as they converged and retreated back up into the mountains. The deep ruts of the wagon are impossible to miss. The Rider passage has left an unmistakable trail as it cuts west towards the crags of the Upper Wyrmwall mountains.

Climbing the summit of the hill, the landscape gradually transitions from foothills into the rock of the mountains. The obvious trail slowly fades as soil gives way to rock. Ahead, several mountain trails wend their narrow, winding way up into the mountains proper. After about a mile, the horse tracks gather in a large group before separating to fade away entirely.

From what your trackers can make out, the bandits gathered here. Some dismounting, likely for a conversation, before separating into groups and disappearing into the mountains. The wagon, however, could not negotiate the narrow trails and moved off to the south.

You can make another Tracking (a very difficult one at that) roll to try and figure out more information about the horsemen or keep following the wagon's obvious trail.

Also, what do you think about greyed out text for OOC instead of constantly opening spoilers?

• Options
    does there happen to be a quick way to grey out on a phone?

• Options
    does there happen to be a quick way to grey out on a phone?

No idea. I don't even think there is a quick way to toggle colours while on a full browser either, come to think of it.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Hmm. No tracking rolls then? OK, moving on...

As you begin to ride out, following the wagon, you see a glint of light reflecting on something partially buried in the ripped up sod. A twisted pair of spectacles, one lens cracked and spattered with blood. Alma lets out a small squeak and dismounts to gather them up. Her face hardens as she remounts her horse. "Lets go. We're on the right trail."

Clearly, she is right. Horse droppings, hooaga cigar stubs, bloody bandages...all these things are found as you follow the trail. These bandits are obviously not expecting anyone to follow them and are not taking even the most simple of precautions. The trail passes through the foothills to the south until it reaches an unmaintained dirt road. Following the road further to the west, you come across an old wooden shack. Any colour to the structure has long been bleached pale by the elements. Narrow shuttered windows on each wall and small enclosure out back for horses. The wagon you've been following is out front, and a pair of horses are in the "pasture". Two Riders are outside grooming the horses, catching sight of your approach they shout an alarm as they run for saddles. Three more Riders rush outside and take to the wagon, trying to bring the stubber to bear. All of them men are swathed in bandages and coughing. And they all have pistols and look ready to use them.

ROLL INITATIVE!

Map:
    shSIlP.jpg
    (Its my first map!)
    I know IKRPG doesn't quite use a grid. But we're all familiar with it here. We'll just treat it like 4e, with squares equaling 6' instead of 5'. Base sizes don't quite work out, but we can get over that pretty quickly.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    geth roll 2d6+13 for Tavish's initiative

Safe to assume we're in full campaigning gear at this point, right?

Tavish's initiative:
    2d6+13 23 [2d6=4, 6]

• Options
    Shael doesn't take long to decide that the wagon is the trail to follow. After all, the doctor is useless without medical supplies, and the Raiders clearly need his help.

And sure enough, the trail runs true. Shael lowers her goggles and fingers her crossbow as she sees the Raiders below.
    "These cowards will face the same fate as the last ones we fought. Time to die."
    Geth roll 2d6+18 for initiative

initiative:
    2d6+18 25 [2d6=5, 2]

• Options
    Geth, roll 2d6+15 for Raider initiative

Raider initiative:
    2d6+15 21 [2d6=2, 4]

• Options
    Aidan di Ormino

Aidan stays close to the impetuous Kaelin. He honestly couldn't disagree with her assessment of the situation
    Sorry for the lack of posting during the holiday week (What do you mean kids are out of school all week...I got like two days...) I had much much spottier internet access than I anticipated and fighting to post on my phone was torture.
    Geth roll 2d6+13 for Initiative

Initiative:
    2d6+13 18 [2d6=1, 4]

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Kaelin Bastille

Kaelin hadn't riden a horse for the journey, insteading she had climbed up on Monseiur Sifflets' shoulder pauldron for the journey.
    Geth roll 2d6+14

2d6+14 19 [2d6=2, 3]

Mikey CTS on
  • Options
    @Nealneal‌ - No worries. Stuffing happens. :) Although we had ours last month.

@DrakeRaids057‌ - Just waiting on your initiative.

• Options
    meanwhile, quick question, how stringent are we going to be about base sizing and fitting through gaps? Also what can a PS 14 charge just demolish? If I were to say, charge the guy at k-16, would it be fair to assume the tongues of the wagon wouldn't provide much impediment?

• Options
    edited December 2014
    At the risk if it biting me in the ass, I'm going to say "not very stringent".

I know that visually, the Maptools/D&D default of "large sized" and working on a grid doesn't really fit to match a 40mm base size and gridless tabletop that Warmachine uses. So in this case I'd be more inclined to say yes.

As a GM, I'm usually quite flexible and tend to always rule in favour of cool.

Assuming you make the roll, that is. :) If you hideously fail at trying to be cool, the wagon will likely end up flipped over in the air and will land on your noggin. If you can't be cool, at least be amusing. :)

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    @JohnnyCache‌ et al.

Also, I should have mentioned/clarified that initiative order came into play in my ruling. In my mind, if you indeed charge you'll be catching that bandit as he is running out of the building towards the cover that the parked wagon provides. If they had gone before you in the initiative order, then I would have said no because he was in cover and you wouldn't have had a clear charge lane. Thoughts?

I'll give @DrakeRaids057‌ until tomorrow morning to roll initiative before I do it for Sophika and we move this combat along.

• Options
    Well I think I have pretty good paths toward two guys...maybe not good enough for "charging" IE getting the bonus from charging, but I think I can get TOO them. also contemplating the wisdom of just double moving behind the house and flanking them...

• Options
    Oh, sure...you could get to them no issue. But barreling your bison into them would require some...finesse? GM largesse? Something like that.

As a reminder, this is the wagon with the pintle mounted stubber on top of it.

Geth, roll 2d6+13 for Sophika's Initative

Sophika's Initative:
    2d6+13 21 [2d6=3, 5]

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Round 1

The wagon you've been following is out front, and a pair of horses are in the "pasture". Two Riders are outside grooming the horses, catching sight of your approach they shout an alarm as they run for saddles. Three more Riders rush outside and take to the wagon, trying to bring the stubber to bear. All of them men are swathed in bandages and coughing. And they all have pistols and look ready to use them.

ROLL INITATIVE!

Map:
    jadgTr.jpg
    (Its my first map!)
    I know IKRPG doesn't quite use a grid. But we're all familiar with it here. We'll just treat it like 4e, with squares equaling 6' instead of 5'. Base sizes don't quite work out, but we can get over that pretty quickly.

Stat Block:
    Shael: 5/3/4, DEF:14, ARM:11, FP:3
    Tavish: 7/3/3, DEF:9, ARM:15, FP:3
    Sophika: 6/3/3, DEF:11, ARM:14, FP:1
    Wyrmwall Rider(I16): 8, DEF:13, ARM:11
    Wyrmwall Rider(K16): 8, DEF:13, ARM:11
    Wyrmwall Rider(M16): 8, DEF:13, ARM:11
    Wyrmwall Rider(F17): 8, DEF:13, ARM:11
    Wyrmwall Rider(G19): 8, DEF:13, ARM:11
    Wyrmwall Veteran(L17): 8, DEF:14, ARM:11
    Kaelin: 5/4/5, DEF:13, ARM:10, FP:2
    Aiden: 5/4/4, DEF:13, ARM:10, FP:1

@Rainfall‌ - You're up!
    @JohnnyCache‌ & @DrakeRaids057‌ - On deck...

Steelhawk on