As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

God of War creator almost goes lol Sony

DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
Actually, it was more like olol Blu Ray. In short, the God of War creator, David Jaffe, wouldn't have included it in PS3 and sold it at a lower price. Someone should have listened to him.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15762
Jaffe: I Would Not Have Included Blu-ray in PS3

In somewhat of a shocker, God of War creator David Jaffe has admitted that if he could change something about PS3, he would have removed its Blu-ray player and sold the console at a cheaper price. He also revealed that he might one day found his own independent studio. More within...

In part two of Geoff Keighley's Bonus Round with Sony Santa Monica Studio Creative Director David Jaffe over at GameTrailers.com, the God of War creator had a number of interesting things to say, but it was perhaps his comments in a teaser clip for part three that will draw the most attention.

When asked what he would change about the PlayStation 3, he responded, "I probably would have taken the Blu-ray out and sold it for less money." Of course, hindsight is always 20/20, but Sony certainly doesn't seem to view the inclusion of Blu-ray as a mistake. Jaffe didn't outright label it a mistake either, but he's the first Sony employee (to this editor's knowledge) to even question the need for Blu-ray.

SCE Worldwide Studios President Phil Harrison and other Sony executives have repeatedly stressed the importance of the Blu-ray format, not just as a next-gen movie format, but as a game disc format that provides game developers with plenty of storage space to build highly detailed game worlds without the need for multiple discs. Microsoft has been using standard DVD-9 discs for the Xbox 360 and has thus far (in the U.S.) avoided any multiple disc scenarios through the use of highly advanced compression techniques. [Note: In Japan, Blue Dragon was released on three discs.]

DesertBox on
«134

Posts

  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    Done.

    Zek on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    I think the reason someone should have listened to him is that a higher than favorable (for Sony) amount of people are taking your advice.

    Taximes on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    That's all well and good, but the idea with there being a bluray player in there seems soley to try and push Sony's damned proprietery formats. Which just plain suck.

    SniperGuy on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    What if we want it, but cheaper, because of a lack of Blu-ray? I guess we keep saying "lol Sony" then!

    Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    I do want it, but I can't afford it. The reason that its at a price level I can't justify is because of that Blu Ray player. It's nice to see someone that works at Sony see my point and also subtly acknowledge that it might not be necessary.

    DesertBox on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    Vegan wrote: »
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    What if we want it, but cheaper, because of a lack of Blu-ray? I guess we keep saying "lol Sony" then!

    I want a porsche except I don't want to pay 50,000 for it. Too bad thats how the world works huh? Paying for things you want?

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Vegan wrote: »
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    What if we want it, but cheaper, because of a lack of Blu-ray? I guess we keep saying "lol Sony" then!

    I want a porsche except I don't want to pay 50,000 for it. Too bad thats how the world works huh? Paying for things you want?

    That's not the same thing. People want the game capability but do not want the movie capability. Using your example, that's like saying you want the Porsch but aren't allowed to buy it unless you buy a small boat with it.

    SirUltimos on
  • Options
    KNYTEKNYTE Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Consumers aren't ready for another format change yet. Sony jumped the gun. lol sony.

    KNYTE on
    The best defense is a good offense.

    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms, history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall"
    - Adolf Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    lol



    ...




    Sony.

    AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    What if we want it, but cheaper, because of a lack of Blu-ray? I guess we keep saying "lol Sony" then!

    I want a porsche except I don't want to pay 50,000 for it. Too bad thats how the world works huh? Paying for things you want?

    That's not the same thing. People want the game capability but do not want the movie capability. Using your example, that's like saying you want the Porsch but aren't allowed to buy it unless you buy a small boat with it.

    Or people want the porsche AND the boat. They just don't want to shell out money for it. Which is tough.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    KNYTE wrote: »
    Consumers aren't ready for another format change yet. Sony jumped the gun. lol sony.

    Yeah, a format change was pretty unnecessary. And the blu-ray format lost support when Sony said no to porn being on it, and then the porn industry said, "Fine, HD it is."

    Henroid on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    What if we want it, but cheaper, because of a lack of Blu-ray? I guess we keep saying "lol Sony" then!

    I want a porsche except I don't want to pay 50,000 for it. Too bad thats how the world works huh? Paying for things you want?

    That's not the same thing. People want the game capability but do not want the movie capability. Using your example, that's like saying you want the Porsch but aren't allowed to buy it unless you buy a small boat with it.

    Or people want the porsche AND the boat. They just don't want to shell out money for it. Which is tough.

    Yes. Tough for Sony. People don't want to shell out that much money for a PS3, and so they aren't buying it. Because of Blu-ray. hence the point.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    What if we want it, but cheaper, because of a lack of Blu-ray? I guess we keep saying "lol Sony" then!

    I want a porsche except I don't want to pay 50,000 for it. Too bad thats how the world works huh? Paying for things you want?

    That's not the same thing. People want the game capability but do not want the movie capability. Using your example, that's like saying you want the Porsch but aren't allowed to buy it unless you buy a small boat with it.

    Or people want the porsche AND the boat. They just don't want to shell out money for it. Which is tough.

    Or maybe they don't want the boat and therefore can't get the car and now the car manufacturer has employees saying "Maybe we shouldn't make them buy the boat. It isn't necessary to enjoy the car." This analogy is retarded and so is your argument.

    DesertBox on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    No people don't want the porsche and the boat. People want just the porsche. They would be more likely to buy the porsche if they weren't forced to buy the small boat with it.

    Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    What if we want it, but cheaper, because of a lack of Blu-ray? I guess we keep saying "lol Sony" then!

    I want a porsche except I don't want to pay 50,000 for it. Too bad thats how the world works huh? Paying for things you want?

    That's not the same thing. People want the game capability but do not want the movie capability. Using your example, that's like saying you want the Porsch but aren't allowed to buy it unless you buy a small boat with it.

    And it's not even a Porsche AND a boat, it's some kind of Porsche-boat.

    AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    How about, "It's a console forcing a format change that's adding to the cost"? Yeah, that works.

    Henroid on
  • Options
    KNYTEKNYTE Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    What if we want it, but cheaper, because of a lack of Blu-ray? I guess we keep saying "lol Sony" then!

    I want a porsche except I don't want to pay 50,000 for it. Too bad thats how the world works huh? Paying for things you want?

    That's not the same thing. People want the game capability but do not want the movie capability. Using your example, that's like saying you want the Porsch but aren't allowed to buy it unless you buy a small boat with it.

    And it's not even a Porsche AND a boat, it's some kind of Porsche-boat.

    A better comparison would've been hybrid engines. Sure, hybrid engines are great, and eventually everyone will go to them, but right now they're too new and too expensive for the average consumer to adopt immediately. So when you have an already expensive Porsche made even MORE expensive because it's running a hybrid engine it prices itself right out of most people's wallets.

    KNYTE on
    The best defense is a good offense.

    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms, history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall"
    - Adolf Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938.
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Vegan wrote: »
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    What if we want it, but cheaper, because of a lack of Blu-ray? I guess we keep saying "lol Sony" then!

    I want a porsche except I don't want to pay 50,000 for it. Too bad thats how the world works huh? Paying for things you want?

    In this case the complaint is rather the opposite - being forced to pay for something you don't want (BluRay) to get something you do want (the game machine).

    To extend your metaphor, would you buy a Porsche for $50,000 or a Porsche for $70,000 that includes an expensive turbocharge system that's only useful if you remove the limiter they had to install to make it street legal anyway? If you get no benefit from the pricy option, you're damn sure going to prefer the cheaper alternative. And for a lot of people the PS3 doesn't GIVE them that option, so they just say 'fuck it, I'll wait for the price drop'.

    JihadJesus on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    i dont have a tv that uses hdmi, doesnt have the fidelity to take advantage of blu-ray, and i dont have $600 + tax + the money to buy games.

    had they made a ps3 without blu-ray, and it had been around $400, the ps3 would be a very viable purchase for me considering i wont be able to afford a tv that its catered to for another oh....5-10 years.

    BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    And it's not even a Porsche AND a boat, it's some kind of Porsche-boat.

    That's pretty neat actually. I'd prefer a sportscar slash fighter jet though... especially if you're working overtime. Fighting crime.

    Firebrand on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    Actually, it was more like olol Blu Ray. In short, the God of War creator wouldn't have included it in PS3 and sold it at a lower price. Someone should have listened to him.

    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15762

    I wouldn't of given the ps3 as much shit if it had shipped with a dvd rom instead of a blu-ray player and sold at a lesser price point. $599 is too much. The things I can do with $599 would be far superior to what the ps3 gives me. I could buy the rest of the parts for my ms. pacman project easily with that much cash. You could find a junker car for nearly that much. And lets face it, $599 to a stripper?

    'nuff said.

    Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    KNYTEKNYTE Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    Actually, it was more like olol Blu Ray. In short, the God of War creator wouldn't have included it in PS3 and sold it at a lower price. Someone should have listened to him.

    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=15762

    I wouldn't of given the ps3 as much shit if it had shipped with a dvd rom instead of a blu-ray player and sold at a lesser price point. $599 is too much. The things I can do with $599 would be far superior to what the ps3 gives me. I could buy the rest of the parts for my ms. pacman project easily with that much cash. You could find a junker car for nearly that much. And lets face it, $599 to a stripper?

    'nuff said.

    Viscountalpha to buy $600 stripper in 5 years

    KNYTE on
    The best defense is a good offense.

    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms, history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall"
    - Adolf Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938.
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    Ummm...
    He's not saying folks shouldn't buy it.

    He's saying that, in hindsight, Sony shouldn't have put Bluray in, because the price tag is hurting their sales.

    Evander on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Firebrand wrote: »
    And it's not even a Porsche AND a boat, it's some kind of Porsche-boat.

    That's pretty neat actually. I'd prefer a sportscar slash fighter jet though... especially if you're working overtime. Fighting crime.

    That bike that turns into a helicopter will tempt me and beckon me for as long as I live. Thanks, Firebrand.

    DesertBox on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    or you could buy a harem of chinese mail-order brides and the only english they speak is "shitty james bond movie on blu-ray... free with purchase!"

    BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    or you could buy a harem of chinese mail-order brides and the only english they speak is "shitty james bond movie on blu-ray... free with purchase!"

    To be fair, Casino Royale is my favorite Bond movie since Goldeneye. Both are arguably top 5 in my book

    DesertBox on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    . And for a lot of people the PS3 doesn't GIVE them that option, so they just say 'fuck it, I'll wait for the price drop'.

    Or they just buy a 360 or a Wii (or both, Wii60 olol).

    Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    or you could buy a harem of chinese mail-order brides and the only english they speak is "shitty james bond movie on blu-ray... free with purchase!"

    To be fair, Casino Royale is my favorite Bond movie since Goldeneye. Both are arguably top 5 in my book

    Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    What if we want it, but cheaper, because of a lack of Blu-ray? I guess we keep saying "lol Sony" then!

    I want a porsche except I don't want to pay 50,000 for it. Too bad thats how the world works huh? Paying for things you want?

    That's not the same thing. People want the game capability but do not want the movie capability. Using your example, that's like saying you want the Porsch but aren't allowed to buy it unless you buy a small boat with it.

    Or people want the porsche AND the boat. They just don't want to shell out money for it. Which is tough.

    If people don't want to shell out the money for them, then as far as the market is concerned, they don't want them at all.

    It's all supply and demand related. As the price increases, demand decreases. It doesn't matter whether or not the consumers would like to have that functionallity at a cheaper price; that ONLY factors in when that cheaper price is reached.

    Evander on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    KNYTE wrote: »
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    What if we want it, but cheaper, because of a lack of Blu-ray? I guess we keep saying "lol Sony" then!

    I want a porsche except I don't want to pay 50,000 for it. Too bad thats how the world works huh? Paying for things you want?

    That's not the same thing. People want the game capability but do not want the movie capability. Using your example, that's like saying you want the Porsch but aren't allowed to buy it unless you buy a small boat with it.

    And it's not even a Porsche AND a boat, it's some kind of Porsche-boat.

    A better comparison would've been hybrid engines. Sure, hybrid engines are great, and eventually everyone will go to them, but right now they're too new and too expensive for the average consumer to adopt immediately. So when you have an already expensive Porsche made even MORE expensive because it's running a hybrid engine it prices itself right out of most people's wallets.

    There we go. That's a much better analogy than mine. I only said boat because I couldn't think of anything else.

    SirUltimos on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Vegan wrote: »
    Why should someone have listened to him? If you don't want it, don't get it.

    What if we want it, but cheaper, because of a lack of Blu-ray? I guess we keep saying "lol Sony" then!

    I want a porsche except I don't want to pay 50,000 for it. Too bad thats how the world works huh? Paying for things you want?

    Porsche is also happy to have a small sliver of the auto market share and for their cars to be thought of as niche products. If that's Sony's goal too, then they're doing a good job so far. If, however, Sony's goal is to retain or increase the commanding market share they had last gen, then they've got problems. This isn't like a Porsche at $50,000 - it's like a Toyota Camry at $50,000.

    BubbaT on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Ugh, this is all from a teaser clip, which means it's devoid of all context, yes? Way to go, Internet.

    Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Ugh, this is all from a teaser clip, which means it's devoid of all context, yes? Way to go, Internet.

    You're not allowed to apply critical thinking here! /boot

    Henroid on
  • Options
    KNYTEKNYTE Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Ugh, this is all from a teaser clip, which means it's devoid of all context, yes? Way to go, Internet.

    Explain how "I would not have included Blu-ray in PS3" could be taken out of context.

    KNYTE on
    The best defense is a good offense.

    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms, history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own fall"
    - Adolf Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938.
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    Ugh, this is all from a teaser clip, which means it's devoid of all context, yes? Way to go, Internet.

    Jaffe wrote:
    I probably would have taken the Blu-ray out and sold it for less money.


    EDIT: Beaten, but to further the point: he could think, still, that it's still a really good system, and it is a really good system I'm sure, but he (and I, for the record) would have wanted it to be cheaper.

    Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    astroboyastroboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    or you could buy a harem of chinese mail-order brides and the only english they speak is "shitty james bond movie on blu-ray... free with purchase!"

    And all of those mail-order brides would be liars.

    Casino Royale is one of the best Bond films in years.

    astroboy on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: PlayerOne
    My Collection
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    David Jaffe doesn't like Blu-Ray, so what? It's his opinion and he's entitled to it but if Sony listened to everything Jaffe said, we wouldn't be getting retail games at all would we?

    And while some developers may not like the inclusion of Blu-Ray, there are others that do (Kojima included).

    Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    David Jaffe doesn't like Blu-Ray, so what? It's his opinion and he's entitled to it but if Sony listened to everything Jaffe said, we wouldn't be getting retail games at all would we?

    And while some developers may not like the inclusion of Blu-Ray, there are others that do (Kojima included).

    Well I found it surprising that someone that works for Sony would publicly say they think including Blu-Ray was a bad idea.

    DesertBox on
  • Options
    Dinosaur_NeilDinosaur_Neil Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    KNYTE wrote: »
    Consumers aren't ready for another format change yet. Sony jumped the gun. lol sony.

    Yeah, a format change was pretty unnecessary. And the blu-ray format lost support when Sony said no to porn being on it, and then the porn industry said, "Fine, HD it is."

    no one wants porn in hd to begin with, razor burn in HIGH DEFINITION!

    Dinosaur_Neil on
Sign In or Register to comment.