Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Mini drones...thin edge of a large wedge

I ended up at a comic book/games convention on saturday. One stall caught my eye as I was leaving and long story short. I bought a drone.

Now its only a mini drone, 150m ish range, 15min a charge flight time (less with camera usage). But man this things a lot of fun. Has a camera with great quality, been flying it around the office taking snaps of equally amused and annoyied faces. We are currently in the process of building an obstical course around the office. This could very well be a "gateway" drone for me as im very comfortable around electronics and soldering irons.

Anyone got any good resources or cool things I can read up on. Any legal gotchas (UK) apart from the standard commonsense camera ones?

steam_sig.png
Until All Are One...under the Newell

• chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Ha ha, you'll be building a DJI S1000 before you know it!

• PrimePrime Registered User regular
    Oh wow, looked them up. I would honestly be ok if thats where I end up ha!

steam_sig.png
    Until All Are One...under the Newell
    chrishallett83
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    You can check out this site: http://www.robotshop.com/en/drones.html

I bought myself a drone after watching this video:

Mine is a UDI U818A 2.4GHz 4 CH 6 Axis Gyro RC Quadcopter and isn't anywhere as awesome as these, but it's still a ton of fun. I really dig the 360 button. Push it, and the thing does an automatic flip. Really sick. I had an issue with the charger, so I called the company, who sent me a free charger and a backup battery, so now I have 30 minutes of flight time.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Bigity
  • FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    I want a drone so bad.

With stereoscopic cameras.

and an Occulus Rift.

• Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    From the experience of several of my friends, a good starter brand are the Hubsan quadrotors that go for around $50-$100. Small enough to not break the bank, but large enough to fly stably.

For those who want highly sophisticated systems that can follow preset flight plans (altitude, speed, waypoints, etc), look into 3D Robotics and or Ardupilot. Those can also enter a "follow me" mode to act as an aerial camera for the bearer of its control/transmitter tablet.

Emissary42 on