As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Name That Book/Movie/Series/Song Thread

The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
I know that G&T occasionally gets "Name That Game" threads, but due to personal reasons that I shall get into in a sec I decided to make a generic non-gaming version for H/A.

There is a book I read as a kid that I've been trying to remember the name of for YEARS. Off and on I've had conversations with people and in chat rooms, but nobody has ever been able to figure out the title. I, on a couple of occasions, debated making a thread about it, but decided that I didn't want to clutter the forums with a question about a single book title. That is why I thought to myself that if I made a general media thread about it encompassing everything other than games, it could exist in H/A and remain useful for the foreseeable future any time someone wants to ask a related question without having to create a new thread.

Hopefully that's okay with everyone.

Anyway I shall kick off the thread with the very first question. When I was a kid I read this book, it was post apocalyptic wild west, cowboys and all that jazz, with most higher level tech gone. Main character was a cowboy that nearly died at the beginning of the book, and was cared for and nursed back to health by some kind of shaman. There was some level of magic in this universe and at one point the characters discover the wreck of the Titanic at the top of a mountain. Then using magic reanimate it, in a sense, re-creating its final hours, flooding compartments, passengers screaming and such. The book was very violent, I vividly remember the main character making an antagonist get on his hands and knees and eat grass at one point, and then when he protested the main character blew off one of his ears. Beyond what I've just described I can't remember anything else about the book. Ring any bells for anyone?

P.S. It's NOT Dark Tower, every time I've had this conversation with people they have suggested Dark Tower and I'm pretty sure I've never read any of the Dark Tower series.

Xbox: SpanWolf, Playstation: Span_Wolf, Nintendo: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/, Origin/GoG/Bethesda: Span_Wolf, uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    We don't really do this sort of thread here as people generally just make their own anyway, but you are welcome to ask your question.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    It sounds a lot like David Gemmell, specifically the Jon Shannow books to me, but it has been years since I read them so I could be wrong.

ceresLostNinja
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    It sounds a lot like David Gemmell, specifically the Jon Shannow books to me, but it has been years since I read them so I could be wrong.
    Holy crap I think it is this one.
    9780345379030.jpg
    It's been almost 20 years since I've read the book, but that cover looks familiar to me. Damn I've been trying to remember for years and years what book it was that I had vague memories of.

Xbox: SpanWolf, Playstation: Span_Wolf, Nintendo: Span_Wolf - 4854-6434-9883
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/, Origin/GoG/Bethesda: Span_Wolf, uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf