As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD, POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Someone asked about board games on iPad awhile ago? In all the excitement, everyone forgot some:

Pandemic
    Galaxy Trucker
    Brief History of the World

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Galaxy trucker doesn't let you build broken ships though does it? That seems to miss the point of the game

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I'm closing in on 50, myself, and will probably clock in at 100 someday, especially if I ever have money and a regular group again. But now I am alone and poor, so I keep my gaming buying to only when necessary, like when I am not hungry at that particular time and really want it.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    My library once hit ~20 games and it drove me crazy.

Like... yeah. You need to rotate stuff out periodically, but a given group isn't going to click with more than a few games at a time.
    Hoarding them is an easy impulse with the hobby, but it is still hoarding and at the end of the day I'd rather have an empty spot on the shelf than a full spot with a game that won't see any play.

Goodwill gets maybe 90% of my games, in the end.
    Stuff like Catan and Citadels - games I have learned to hate due to group dynamics - Goodwill.
    Stuff like Colossal Arena and Reef Encounter - games I love dearly, but my group won't play - Goodwill.

Whatever. Maybe my gaming nights are 99% as awesome as they could be.
    But fuck that - some kid, somewhere, got a minty copy of Formula D and that is going to shape their life.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'm feeling pretty close to the limit now around 30 games. More than that, and I'm just not getting them to the table enough to remember the rules and gameplay all that well to feel like I'm getting the best use out of them. Even then, I'd say I could shed about about half safely and still have a good core that I'd be happy with.

It probably helps that my friends have a similarly sized collection, so in total my group musters up about 60 games, but mine is the largest library.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Personally, I still have, like, ten games. Hell, I'm not sure I reach 10 games. Let me count... SmallWorld, KoT, Resistance, Munchkin, Claustrophobia, Seasons, Betrayal... yup, that's about it.

Well, I technically still have Forbidden Island, but that mostly because I haven't found anyone to sell it to. We didn't really like it.

For now, the best value for money I have is Seasons. My sister loves it, my nerdier friends also enjoy it. It's sadly not big enough for full group, but then I have difficulty enough making the full group play anything other than Munchkin.

EDIT: Oh, wait, Carcassonne. That one also was great value for money. It's a great 2-player game.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    Memoir 44 question. I have the base box and I like it. Sadly I dont get to play it so much since most of our boardgame nights are with alot of players. I know if you buy more copies or get some special expansion you can play with more players. Could someone say if this is worth it or should I perhaps just keep it as a 2 player game.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have about twenty games, some I've played once, some I've played 2-5 times, and a very small number I've played more than that. A monthly boardgames meetup doesn't lend itself to the 10x10 challenge.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I have around 200. I do purge every so often, and at this point it's getting harder to find games to get rid of without thinking of particular people who would be disappointed if I got rid of them. I'm not accumulating more very quickly, though.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Oh, by the way, talking about deckbuilders and stuff before, how's Fantastiqa, fun and interaction wise? I saw it in a shop and it looked rather pretty.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    Memoir 44 question. I have the base box and I like it. Sadly I dont get to play it so much since most of our boardgame nights are with alot of players. I know if you buy more copies or get some special expansion you can play with more players. Could someone say if this is worth it or should I perhaps just keep it as a 2 player game.

Do you mean the 3v3 variant? I guess it would depend on your group, and if they'd enjoy a larger scale coop competitive game like that.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Lind wrote: »

Do you mean the 3v3 variant? I guess it would depend on your group, and if they'd enjoy a larger scale coop competitive game like that.

Yeah the big overlord scenarios are for up to 8 players i belive.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited January 2015
    InkSplat wrote: »
    See, the one thing about board games for me is that you won't just be able to pick them up later. If in 7 years I wanted to play almost any of the games I currently own, but I didn't own them anymore, with my son once he's old enough? There'd be very little chance of that in a lot of cases. And that would be sad.

I mean, I do try to limit my collection a bit, and look for things with different experiences, but even that has me buying quite a few games recently. Like, I own nothing like Orleans. I owned nothing like Fief or Argent. Nothing like Spirits of the Rice Paddy or Lap Dance or Viceroy. Even with quite a few games in my collection, I keep finding games to fill new niches.

I think, like the beasts of the wild, there is some natural selection going on with my collection too. It's not just what I'd like to play, or even what I think is fun! It's "what can I get to the table?" Otherwise I would own tons more stuff. Like A Game of Thrones. If I lived closer to some of my other friends and could regularly schedule a game day to just play large, extravagant, and time taking games of varying difficulty, my collection would have a lot more niches to fill. But right now I play with my girlfriend, or my girlfriend, my sister, and her boyfriend, and for the ladies in the group, the limit seems to be 2 hours with a maximum complexity of Dungeon Petz.

Plus, we just recently started playing with my sister and her boyfriend, so I'm kind of catching them up on "here are all these games, they're fun and exciting, someday we'll replay them." I'm really looking forward to getting to that someday and we can go "Okay, what can we all agree are our favorites so we can play the shit out of them." At this point I'd like to be able to do like, ten plays of Agricola or something as a group so people can really get into it, find strategies and get good.

Sometimes I see games like Viticulture, or Stone Age that would be nice to have, but are they really any better than the six or seven other worker placement games I have? Probably not. My collection is just under 80 games right now, I feel like my only gaping holes are an auction game and maybe a dungeon crawler (Imperial Assault maybe.) By the time we get to my birthday though, I think I can finally work through my collection and it might be okay for one or two new ones.

Also, my sister's boyfriend has kind of been dragged into the hobby and bought Marvel Legendary and Abyss recently. Two less things for me to own!

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Someone asked about board games on iPad awhile ago? In all the excitement, everyone forgot some:

Pandemic
    Galaxy Trucker
    Brief History of the World
    La Harve

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I have about 300 too. And I play maybe 1 every three months.

Hello my name is Magic Pink and I have a problem.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    My cards came out fine in the Harbour Expansion.

are they the same size as the cards in the base game?

I'll check again when I get home but when I took them out of them celathane and put them in with the core set I didn't notice any difference. I didn't really handle then much though so I will beck back to you.

NOPE! They are definitely different sizes. I couldn't tell with them still in the cellophane but yeah... definitely not the same size. Well that's aggravating... not a good way to start your publishing career, IDW. Botching your flagship product like that.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    My board game collection is like 30-35 games now. I feel kind of hard pressed to pick up anything more. I used to have a weekly boardgaming night of 8-12 consistent people but then I left for Japan for a couple years and now it's more like a weekly night of 4 people, but not necessarily consistent on who shows up.

Only thing that might really see me picking up more games is wargames if I can keep nudging some friends into it, as they suit a small player count better, and their damn tiny, incredibly infrequent (if ever again) print runs makes my trigger finger itch.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I got shipping notice for Omen: A Reign Of War from the most recent Kickstarter. I'm petty excited about it!

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Oh, by the way, talking about deckbuilders and stuff before, how's Fantastiqa, fun and interaction wise? I saw it in a shop and it looked rather pretty.

Low interaction, but pretty fun, I thought. It feels more like a Euro than most deckbuilders because of how refined it is. It's not a terribly deep game but I liked playing it and would play it again.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    My cards came out fine in the Harbour Expansion.

are they the same size as the cards in the base game?

I'll check again when I get home but when I took them out of them celathane and put them in with the core set I didn't notice any difference. I didn't really handle then much though so I will beck back to you.

NOPE! They are definitely different sizes. I couldn't tell with them still in the cellophane but yeah... definitely not the same size. Well that's aggravating... not a good way to start your publishing career, IDW. Botching your flagship product like that.

Boooooooo. Oh well, is already preordered I guess I'll just hope for the best.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    I got shipping notice for Omen: A Reign Of War from the most recent Kickstarter. I'm petty excited about it!

Shit, is that what that stamps.com email was for? Excellent.

• Options
    In more positive news, yeah Village Port is finally available! Yeah!

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I am mad I didn't kickstart Cthulhu Wars. It should be available for retail in March, but I bet it'll sell out fast. Who knows how big the print run will be.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    I owned nothing like Fief or Argent.

I still own nothing like Argent. :P

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

I didn't know this was a thing. Of course, I still haven't played with the first expansion. What does the Port add?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    I didn't know this was a thing. Of course, I still haven't played with the first expansion. What does the Port add?
    A port (replaces "world travel", upper right) for exploration/trading and life goal cards.

• Options

Right, it expands the traveling section by covering it with a port tile. Using the port allows you to build your own ship and travel, hire a captain to export and import goods, send your families out as missionaries and dig up buried treasure. It also includes life goal cards, that let you pursue a specific career like becoming a writer or a knight.

I adore Village so I'm super excited to get this expansion.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Life goals beyond dying at the right time and place? Interesting...

Let me know how it goes after you play with it, I will probably go in on one of the expansions, just not sure which one.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    I am mad I didn't kickstart Cthulhu Wars. It should be available for retail in March, but I bet it'll sell out fast. Who knows how big the print run will be.

I think you can still pre-order it now on their website.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Play throughs of xcom are popping up. I thought it was a strategy game with an app to get around needing to design things. I don't think it is that now.

It's sort of a game where the app player gives changing information and the others try to react in real-time. Sort of like space alert but with a pseudo-dm role.

Maybe I could see that working. I would still like a more traditional coop inspired by xcom though

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Play throughs of xcom are popping up. I thought it was a strategy game with an app to get around needing to design things. I don't think it is that now.

It's sort of a game where the app player gives changing information and the others try to react in real-time. Sort of like space alert but with a pseudo-dm role.

Maybe I could see that working. I would still like a more traditional coop inspired by xcom though

I'm like 90% certain that it exists and is called Nexus Ops. i haven't played it myself but all the evidence points in that direction.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

I'm like 90% certain that it exists and is called Nexus Ops. i haven't played it myself but all the evidence points in that direction.

Nexus ops is totally awesome, but it is about the farthest thing from a coop game you can get. Maybe your thinking of another game?

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    The game would be Level 7: Omega Protocol. Or Imperial Assault, which is probably more specifically why we didn't get an XCOM tactical game.

I'd not really consider it a pseudo-dm role. The Communications Officer is responsible for giving out the info in a timed manner, while also needing to pay attention to incoming UFO forecasts that show up aside from the normal stuff, and also controls satellites and keeping orbiting UFOs under control. Its not just reading instructions and being a facilitator--you're actively playing.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Nexus ops is totally awesome, but it is about the farthest thing from a coop game you can get. Maybe your thinking of another game?

Nope, just misunderstanding how Nexus Ops works, apparently! like I said, I haven't played it. I thought it was team of humans vs aliens controlled by some sort of mechanics?

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

Nope, just misunderstanding how Nexus Ops works, apparently! like I said, I haven't played it. I thought it was team of humans vs aliens controlled by some sort of mechanics?

You may be thinking of Galaxy Defenders.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Is it still true that you can replace the app in XCOM with a deck of cards? Or am I thinking of another game?

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Is it still true that you can replace the app in XCOM with a deck of cards? Or am I thinking of another game?

Xcom has a 4 page rule book on account of the app dealing with most of the usual cardboard shuffling.

So it must be something else. But the only other app required game I can think of is alchemist(s?). Which again was doing something specifically impossible to do with cards unless you have a DM player.

• Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

You may be thinking of Galaxy Defenders.

That is focused on the wrong half of xcom though. The tactical combat is an aside to the strategy layer for me.

• Options
    Looking through the rules and cards of Eldritch Horror. No way am I playing with the 'shuffle a solved mystery back into the deck' cards. Fail a skill check, extend the length of the game by a third?

Fuck off FFG. That is abysmal design.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I have read that Forsaken Lore makes the game a bit harder. Is that true? Because it's tempting to add all the FL cards because it makes each deck big enough not to cycle through cards in the course of a game.

Bogart on