As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Secret Admirers Are Stressful, Possibly Platonic?! (Dating Advice)

ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
I went out for my lunch break at work today to find a "Happy Valentines Day" Balloon, and stuffed, purple, pillow thing... in my (messy) car. This being the weekend, there's one culprit I have in mind, and then a few others it could possibly be.

but with a terrible, horrible, absolutely traumatizing history of secret admirers (namely them always turning out to be pranks), I'm feeling overly cautious.

Suspect 1. Girl I'm sort of dating: We've been on three dates, are sorta into eachother, and have big plans for a major sleepover...tomorrow in fact. I don't believe she knows where I work, but it's possible she's deduced it.

Suspect 2. Sister: She was touring a thing in the city today, and it's possible she bought this balloon, and the pillow...thing, as a gag, put it in my car, and has thus far ignored my text messages.

Suspect 3. Coworker - Most likely suspect - super fun, super smart, cool lady, was the only person in the entire building parked near enough to my car to do this, and there's no extra tire tracks or anything else that owuld imply another vehicle had something to do with it.

I have terrible luck with these sorts of things and don't want to jump to any conclusions. But I gotta say I feel like a giddy, but worried. So... I guess my question is, what's a tactful way to ask suspect 1 without letting them think I have some other girl who digs me, and how do I ask suspect 3 without making things uber awkward at work, and if it's neither 1, 2, or 3, is it possible I'm Tyler Durden?!

Also I'm keenly aware this could simply be a platonic and friendly gesture, but that's a second hurdle to jump I presume.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If you don't say anything, then whoever left it in your car (if they give a shit) will probably just say something like "did you get anything neat for Valentine's Day" or whatever to prompt you to talk about it. Letting them bring it up is easier than guessing, especially if you have a bad track record with this sort of thing.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yup, ignore it and all shall be revealed in due time.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I think the answer is "the person who has keys to your car unless you just don't lock your car because you're hoping someone will steal it for the insurance money you goose".

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    I'd do this:

To suspect #1. Tell her it was a nice gesture and that you're impressed she know where you work. If she is not the guilty one, then she will then know you were thinking of her when you received the greeting and also, and this is being a bit cynical, it will raise your market value in her eyes.

To suspect#2. This is risk free. Just get in touch with her, like call her and ask.

To suspect#3. Ask yourself what you'd like to happen if it was her. If you'd like to be with her you really should stop pursuing suspect#1 and find a good way to let suspect#3 know you're into her. If you just think she is cool and all, but not interest in that way hen just ignore the greeting with regards to her.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Wouldn't the girlfriend be concerned and/or offended if it wasn't her?

I would wait to see if they reveal themselves. Also lock your car.

• Options
    HearthsingerHearthsinger Actor/Writer NYCRegistered User regular
    I vote lay in wait. It's gonna be SUPER awkward if you approach your #1, she's flattered you thought it was her, but then wonders why you're getting presents from someone else. It would do more harm than good. Also if it is your coworker, you should do some thinking about whether that's a thing you want to pursue or not so she doesn't catch you off guard.

LOCK YOUR CAR.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Your messy car has objects in it, is left out of sight long enough for someone to put things in it, and is unlocked.

You're lucky you gained a balloon rather than lost your stereo system.

• Options
    KitharsisKitharsis Registered User regular
    You might be over thinking this. If I was dating a girl and found something like this in my car I would probably call her first.

And if it wasn't her you could both laugh about how silly it is, and how it was probably your sister since she was in town. Crisis averted.

If it wasn't your sister then play it cool and don't ask #3? If it was #3 she will probably be waiting to hear something and end up cracking and telling you anyway.

If it was Tyler Durden I will be taking a mental note to never buy soap from you.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man, you should have asked your gf right away. If it wasn't her and she finds out some secret admirer is buying you gifts and you didn't mention it; she's going to wonder why you aren't mentioning potential extra girlfriends.

What is this I don't even.