As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Order 1886: Cinematic dick flopping simulator

BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
edited February 2015 in Games and Technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7SbgvtBDCQ

PS4 exclusive due to arrive on Feb. 20th 2015

Plot: Basically the Knights of the Round table are immortal highlanders fighting a timeless war versus werewolf half-breeds.

I'll be honest here. There's a lot of shit going on with this game that presses my fiction needs button but I hear next to no hype surrounding it. My greatest fear is it's going to be a five hour long "cinematic experience" but I'd like to generate some discussion on it just the same to see if I'm alone in this sentiment or if I'm taking crazy pills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOxsq557V9I
14-15 minutes of B-Roll footage from the Playstation Experience event.

PSN: Waybackkidd
"...only mights and maybes."
Beezel on
«13456789

Posts

  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    I'll be honest here. There's a lot of shit going on with this game that presses my fiction needs button but I hear next to no hype surrounding it.

    Probably because it looks like another third-person cover shooter which are hella overplayed at this point and very disappointing when people were hoping for some actually new shit this generation.

    Though it is very pretty.

    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    BeezelBloodySloth
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I wasn't sold on this tbh. But the heavy story elements are kinda up my street, I just need to know the gameplay is as good as the visuals and I'll snap it up.

  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Beezel wrote: »
    I'll be honest here. There's a lot of shit going on with this game that presses my fiction needs button but I hear next to no hype surrounding it.

    Probably because it looks like another third-person cover shooter which are hella overplayed at this point and very disappointing when people were hoping for some actually new shit this generation.

    Though it is very pretty.

    Mechanically it reminds me almost pound for pound of Gears of War, a game we got like 9-10 years ago. Same control scheme from what little I've seen, hell even the same "roadie run" action cam that they did from what I can tell so yeah, I agree with this.

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    SyphonBlue
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I have a split opinion on the game.

    On the one hand, the idea of a Victorian era werewolf hunting game is really cool. Love the idea of the setting, magic, and theme.

    On the other hand, when this game was originally announced about 2 years ago during the PS4 hype train, this game was presented entirely different from what it actually is, and I've never really forgiven them for it. Yes, a lot of that was just people drawing their own conclusions. But when the mass consumer market collectively assumes one thing about a product, and that assumption is completely wrong, it's up to the creators or publishers to set them straight. And that did not happen for far too long.

    I'm speaking, of course, of the way the game gave a serious impression of being a 4player survival co-op experience, akin to Left 4 Dead, only with Werewolves and other fantastical horror beasts. The fact that this game is a single-player cover-based shooter was a massive letdown after I spent nearly a year thinking I was getting L4D with werewolves.

    JusticeforPluto
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I have a split opinion on the game.

    On the one hand, the idea of a Victorian era werewolf hunting game is really cool. Love the idea of the setting, magic, and theme.

    On the other hand, when this game was originally announced about 2 years ago during the PS4 hype train, this game was presented entirely different from what it actually is, and I've never really forgiven them for it. Yes, a lot of that was just people drawing their own conclusions. But when the mass consumer market collectively assumes one thing about a product, and that assumption is completely wrong, it's up to the creators or publishers to set them straight. And that did not happen for far too long.

    I'm speaking, of course, of the way the game gave a serious impression of being a 4player survival co-op experience, akin to Left 4 Dead, only with Werewolves and other fantastical horror beasts. The fact that this game is a single-player cover-based shooter was a massive letdown after I spent nearly a year thinking I was getting L4D with werewolves.

    What the fuck? I would be all over this! This is the first I'm hearing about that angle. Shit that is a real missed opportunity if that's how it played out because co-op games are really what's up nowadays.

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Beezel wrote: »
    I'll be honest here. There's a lot of shit going on with this game that presses my fiction needs button but I hear next to no hype surrounding it.

    Probably because it looks like another third-person cover shooter which are hella overplayed at this point and very disappointing when people were hoping for some actually new shit this generation.

    Though it is very pretty.

    Mechanically it reminds me almost pound for pound of Gears of War, a game we got like 9-10 years ago. Same control scheme from what little I've seen, hell even the same "roadie run" action cam that they did from what I can tell so yeah, I agree with this.

    Everything you just said makes me want to buy a PS4 simply to play this. Unfortunately there's no way I can do that right now. Is this game an actual exclusive or is it a timed exclusive?

  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    It's a full exclusive. Sony owns Ready At Dawn studio I believe.

  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Thats unfortunate about the exclusivity. The L4D path also would've been cool, how does that not already exist somewhere?

  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    On the topic of random coincidences, I've been reading Brandon Sanderson's "Alloy of Law" which is set in a faux 1900 industrial revolution era. Reading his book has totally put me in the mood to play The Order 1866 and have some adventures in the same time period. Congratulations, Ready At Dawn Studio, you get a free sale based on nothing you guys did.

  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    And matches Bloodborne's vibe.

    XBL - ArchSilversmith

    "We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm down to give any neat new IP a shot, but I'll definitely wait for reviews.

    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    I've definitely spent 60 dollars on worse games but yeah. If this ends up being 5 hours long I'd be piiiiiiiissed. Hopefully it has substance to match the videos

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-PoJIqBimc

    so this is the game actually running. It's in Italian and I don't understand a fucking word. But holy shit does that look swank.

    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The game looks beautiful, but as a one-and-done I'm holding off from buying it at launch and waiting until I hear about the game's length and replay value.

    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I'm all about single player linear experiences with short run times, so I'll be getting this at launch.

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    People complain about game length but most people don't even finish games. I never use length as an indicator of "worth it" or not.

    Are you the magic man?
    Big ClassyDhalphir
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    It's not a quantity on how much I'll enjoy the game, just how much I'm going to spend on it.

    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    Beezel wrote: »
    I've definitely spent 60 dollars on worse games but yeah. If this ends up being 5 hours long I'd be piiiiiiiissed. Hopefully it has substance to match the videos

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-PoJIqBimc

    so this is the game actually running. It's in Italian and I don't understand a fucking word. But holy shit does that look swank.

    I'm not sure it's really accurate to call this a video of gameplay, since in 14 minutes he doesn't do a damn thing except watch cutscenes of characters seriously conferring with each other, walk down a corridor, and pick a couple of objects up off of a table. Although it would be fair to say that if that's all you do in the game for 5 hours or however long, it would be one of the swankiest-looking seriously-conferring, corridor-walking, object-examining simulators ever created.

    Gaslight on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I played a demo of this at PAX Prime. It was gorgeous, though the actual game -- I forget what the doodads were called, but you had to shoot some kind of bullet that produced dust around the enemies, then use a secondary fire (which was fire) to light them up. Sounds great in theory, but each individual mook (not a werewolf or such, just random dudes) survived 2-3 shoot/fire cycles and it started to get old. Though keep in mind this was in September, and things might have changed since then.

    I love historical stuff, but I've read waaaay too many surprisingly skeptical previews from folks that usually don't hesitate to write glowing previews. I'd definitely wait and see what this winds up being.

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    I'm going to download this as soon as I get home from work next Friday. Looks pretty cool to me. I don't think it's going to be anything super amazing, but it does look to me like it will end up as a decent game with neat ideas to start a new franchise(I hope!). Kinda like Assassin's Creed 1 to 2

    Just, you know... don't force it out in yearly installments, please!

    Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    There was an hour of gameplay "leaked" floating around the net. Out of that hour I saw: 30 minutes of cinematic walking and button prompts and roughly 30 minutes of cover shooting and button prompts.

    So. Yeah.

    I realize that sounds rather flippant and dismissive but so far I haven't seen anything that would put this on my "must have" list. My hope is that the plot wanders into the realm of good to make up for these other things that worry me.

    Beezel on
    PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    cB557
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

    I'm speaking, of course, of the way the game gave a serious impression of being a 4player survival co-op experience, akin to Left 4 Dead, only with Werewolves and other fantastical horror beasts. The fact that this game is a single-player cover-based shooter was a massive letdown after I spent nearly a year thinking I was getting L4D with werewolves.

    Seriously who came to this conclusion? That is so ridiculous.

    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    SyphonBlueSpaffyUnco-ordinated
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The reveal trailer featured four main characters in a street holding off a horde of werewolves. It was a conclusion lots of people came to at the time.

    cB557JusticeforPluto
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Huh. I pretty much instantly thought it looked more Gears than L4D :P

    Oh brilliant
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    L4D seemed to make 4 players a popular target to hit for co-op games, so gaming audiences have kind of been trained to see 4 equally powerful characters in a trailer and think "co-op multiplayer".

    At least, that's the theory I'm running with.

    cB557
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I think L4D with werewolves is pretty much the only way I wouldn't have some sort of interest in this game.

    As it is, I'm all for Single-player experiences in the "Tack on multiplayer" age, and a cool aesthetic is more than enough to make me give it a shot. I'm not going in expecting something great, but it should be pretty interesting at least.

    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
    BlackDragon480
  • AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    My personal hope is that it ends up about being more than the "half-breeds," but that they are the main threat for at least this game if it is going to be a series.

    Seriously supernatural stuff is always best when you hint at there being a lot more and that perhaps some of it is more dangerous than you can imagine. One of my favorite examples would be the abandoned hotel from VtM:B.

    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »

    I'm speaking, of course, of the way the game gave a serious impression of being a 4player survival co-op experience, akin to Left 4 Dead, only with Werewolves and other fantastical horror beasts. The fact that this game is a single-player cover-based shooter was a massive letdown after I spent nearly a year thinking I was getting L4D with werewolves.

    Seriously who came to this conclusion? That is so ridiculous.

    Yeah given what we've seen, that's on you, not them.

    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    cB557
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It really does not seem like the CEs on this one are worth it.

  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It really does not seem like the CEs on this one are worth it.

    I seemed to recall them having a cool looking CE in the pipeline for this, but yeah I just went and looked and it's garbage statues all the way down. What the hell? Did they change it up? I thought it was coming with like, a fancy book and a replica holy water vial?

    Oh brilliant
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    It really does not seem like the CEs on this one are worth it.

    I seemed to recall them having a cool looking CE in the pipeline for this, but yeah I just went and looked and it's garbage statues all the way down. What the hell? Did they change it up? I thought it was coming with like, a fancy book and a replica holy water vial?

    The big expensive one has that. $145. So not worth it.

  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    I think L4D with werewolves is pretty much the only way I wouldn't have some sort of interest in this game.

    As it is, I'm all for Single-player experiences in the "Tack on multiplayer" age, and a cool aesthetic is more than enough to make me give it a shot. I'm not going in expecting something great, but it should be pretty interesting at least.

    I would call this the Age of Multiplayer with "tacked on Single Player".

  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Multiplayer dlc in a couple months. It would not surprise me after the shit they pulled with Driveclub.

  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Ah, guess it's a UK exclusive. We're getting this;

    91eSyFqbqaL._SL1500_.jpg

    For... £80. Pffft. Nah, I'm good thanks. ;P

    Oh brilliant
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Of course. They get the cool one.

  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    this game looks like the ps4 version of ryse

    unadventurous gameplay tied to very strong visuals

    should be 5-8 hours of high production value giggles, but i would be highly surprised if it were more

    obF2Wuw.png
    vagrant_windsBloodySlothBig ClassywgrencB557ShadowfireBurnageMedium DaveRhesus PositivecloudeagleMaddocJusticeforPlutostormbringer
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    If I know my Latin, and I barely do, then the Order's motto is From Darkness, Truth.

    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2015
    It certainly is hella pretty, and occasionally I enjoy doing the whole cinematic campaign thing, and I rather like cover-based shooters. It's just, I'm pretty much done paying 80$-90$ for this type of experience. These cinematic rollercoaster rides, even if they have a substantial multiplayer portion, like the Uncharted games, I rarely buy at full price. Multiplayer always feels kinda tacked on in these kinds of things, even if sometimes that might just be a matter of perception. The Order 1886 doesn't even have tacked on multiplayer.

    The games I love, are games I live. Competitive multiplayer games (Battlefield 4) become a part of my daily gaming life. I'm living RPGs (Dark Souls 2) and open world games (GTA V). Same goes for the occassional MMO (WoW). So really, measured by that standard - will The Order 1886 become the embodiment of my gaming hobby - no it won't.

    The Order 1886 won't have have that kind of impact on me, hence I care little for it. Not because I don't think I'd enjoy it, but because it essentially hits the same spot as a movie does - and when have you last excitedly paid 80$-90$ to see a movie, no matter how good it is? Exactly. If the asking price were to reflect this fact, and it would have been produced with that in mind, I probably would be more excited for it, like I'd be excited to see a movie I want to see. As it stands, I've already mentally moved The Order 1886 to the *Bargain Bin Pile*. I'll get excited for it when I'll spot it in a sale at a steep discount.

    BranniganSepp on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Whereas I'm much more content to pay £40 for a fleshed out, linear, brief single player experience over a multiplayer title with tacked on single player.

    The Order is, by the sound of it, pretty much aimed at me.

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    Darth_MogsSyphonBlueShadowfireAbsoluteZeroShadowhope
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    and when have you last excitedly paid 80$-90$ to see a movie, no matter how good it is? Exactly.

    $150au.

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    That is the problem with games these days. Too expensive. They ask for too much time and money.

Sign In or Register to comment.