As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] MH4U released! Go to new thread.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2015
    TimFiji wrote: »
    I'm off to get chinese food. I'm aiming for 7:30 to hop online with @ogretz I imagine we'll be on awhile if anyone wants to hop in. The PW will be:
    0612 if it requires it.

@TimFiji Sorry was having internet issues. I'm in.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • HopsideHopside Registered User regular
    Just wanted to let everyone know I had to update my friend code on account of getting a new system. It should be in my signature and on the spreadsheet.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Ahh, feels good to have you in the room for MH4, @Entaru

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
      My hammer is now a rocket powered drill, that is all.

dinodankzDashuiDarkMecha
    • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
      How long is the tutorial before you gain access to multiplayer? I haven't had a chance to sit down with the game just yet, I'll be putting it in later this evening, but I'm eager to jump into multiplayer fights.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
      My friend at work was hyping this up to the nth degree, so I decided to see if I could just pick up a new 3ds on a whim.

That didn't end well. I guess I'll look again next week.

I did like 4 missions before I hopped in. I'll have to continue single to keep opening city stuff, but you can hop in early.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
        So I bought MH4 tonight on a whim. Here's hoping third time's the charm on my getting into the series.

FU7kFbw.png
        Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
        InquisitorSeidkonadinodankz
      • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
        Preacher wrote: »
        Drascin wrote: »
        I've been playing with the Charge Blade, since it looked neat and I heard it was a new weapon.

This thing is super fun. I just found out that you can use your filled phials to supercharge your shield / axe and make it red. I also found out that you can go into the super ultra axe move directly after charging your phials from sword, which I'm assuming is an easy way to go charge -> super ultra axe move -> cancel the move and charge your axe instead.

This game is awesome.

Yeah, the charge blade is super weird. It seems to keep doing different things.

Either the monsters in this game are super fragile or its damage is straight up bonkers though.

I was thinking either I'm awesome or they made jaggi's easier because I remember my first great Jagi was an ordeal with the charge blade? he barely got out of a zone before carved him up. I'm loving that thing and I'm not even that great with it, I actually prefer the sword and board a lot more than the axe, but its nice to have the axe when you've charged the head up for 20% extra damage and then wallop an enemy.

I also read somewhere that the elemental attacks that the axe does with the phials give insane KO damage when you hit a monster in the head. I'll need to try that, but I'm working on just getting better with the damn thing. It's super clunky when in axe-mode, very hard to aim.

Steam: Spawnbroker
      • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
        I think I missed a step somewhere in the 1.1 patch. Is there something I have to do in order to apply it?

steam_sig.png
        Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
        Backlog Challenge List
        Ianator wrote: »
        I think I missed a step somewhere in the 1.1 patch. Is there something I have to do in order to apply it?

Nope

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
          Ah yeah, I have to get it via the House Cat, not the title's DLC menu.

steam_sig.png
          Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
          Backlog Challenge List
          Oh you meant the get the gift stuff

• FredZ89FredZ89 Huehuehueh Registered User regular
            edited February 2015
            Game is bought and downloading. Let's see what this game is all about.

I'll try some multiplayer this weekend.
            Here's my friend code: 1435-3951-4785

EDIT: Added my friend code to the list as well.

FredZ89 on
            Currently Playing: MH4U
            My Steam profile
            3DS: 1435-3951-4785
          • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
            Killed my first velo in expedition mode, man that sucker hits fast.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
            Ianator
          • DracilDracil Registered User regular
            Apparently the bundle does not come with the theme. The heck.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
            Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
            MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
          • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
            Trying to get the item pack, need a nintendo ID, need to link it to my club nintendo account, need to start the e-shop, need to update my address... what's next? I just want luigi cat!

Steam: No Safety In Life
            PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
            edited February 2015
            Which weapon do you recommend for a total newbie to MH? Knowing i dont have access to a CPP at the moment.

Also I just read that I'll need to craft armors too, so what weapon/armor combination would you recommend for a starter?

FredZ89 on
            My Steam profile
          • CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
            I am not entirely sure of what is going on with expeditions/guild quests.
            Is the first expedition, with the velocidrome, always supposed to open up a guild quest that also involves a velocidrome? I assumed at first that it was, but after rereading gaijinhunter's explanation it seems like I could have gotten some other monster instead.
            Is the second one always "rare" with a kutku?
            Is the expedition not supposed to change until you do something else? I've just done the "rare" one with kutku above and the info hasn't changed.

Also, does streetpass apply to online play? That is, if two people were to play online but not locally, would that share guild quests, palicoes, and whatever else?

@Entaru @ogretz that spider was a really fun fight

Seidkona
              edited February 2015
              After I get home tomorrow I will farm the few peices I need for the Jaggi armor so we can do it some more.

Not the most fun fight with 6 def. :p

Seidkona on
            • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
              FredZ89 wrote: »
              Which weapon do you recommend for a total newbie to MH? Knowing i dont have access to a CPP at the moment.

Also I just read that I'll need to craft armors too, so what weapon/armor combination would you recommend for a starter?

I'd say probably

Sword and Shield
              Switch Axe (Just stay in 100% axe mode starting out)
              Hammer

All fairly mobile without a lot of complexity as far as what buttons you need to push and stuff. Long Sword might be in this group, too.

Lance if you really want to guard.

Equipment sets don't matter all that much early on. Just forge whatever pieces with a good defense boost that you can with the parts you have available. And upgrade them twice with armor spheres. I guess you could use some mix of velociprey/kut ku to get the attack up skill, or tetsucabra/alloy to get defense up, but it isn't vital.

Woo hunter rank 2!

DarkMecha
              @Cromarty thanks for hunting! Sorry I didn't stay too long. That was about hour 5 for me.

• CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
                I'm just happy to have the chance to play online, really. Thanks timfiji, ogretz, and Solvaall (whoever you are), especially for your patience. (I hope I didn't trip anyone too much.)

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
                Charge blade and alloy mail looks SO GOOD together. Also, it's relatively easy to get the first 2* charge blade since it's basically... ores and a couple fluids.

I don't think I've had a fight take longer than 15 minutes yet, which is nice. Dropping the super duper ultra mega discharge blast on a downed monster's face? KABLOOEY, and so satisfying. That alone makes this weapon worth using.

I'm going to move into lances at HR probably, when I can actually start making the full elemental spread.

I really like the look of Kecha Wacha armor, but god thats an awful skill set. Velocidrome's is nice, if I could ever loot velociprey hides for it... I'm just going to rock this alloy mail for a while though probably.

Also, you can make the Seltas faulds (3*) without any Queen drops, so... if you only care about raw armor... well, Seltas is a chump.

Steam: Polaritie
                3DS: 0473-8507-2652
                Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
                PSN: AbEntropy
              • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
                Wow, apparently there's a limit to the number of games you can set up for streetpass. Who knew?

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
                HR2 get! good hunts @Zanshinretsu

grinded out a set of g jaggi armor and a commander's dagger, jumping from 6 armor to 51 and speed sharpening is a huge buff

all the new monsters are really unique, and surprisingly fast and can cover alot of ground quickly

so far it seems like you always want to fight on a elevated ground, like a web or jungle vines. that way you get the second knockdown when the monster falls through

did anyone else find that throwing is different? me and a friend threw 6 tranqs at our feet, it seems like you have to hold forward now to hold forward?

J3qcnBP.png
                Had three friends come over and we just played MH4U for literally twelve hours straight. Holy shit.

I used the 3D feature of the n3DS almost the entire time too, which is amazing to me, because on the standard 3DS I found it impossible to use and here it worked perfectly. The sense of depth it adds to MH4U, a game that is very vertical at times, is very nice. The c-stick works surprisingly well and feels good in the hand too.

The real star of the show is MH4U. The game is just great. The mechanics are solid and rewarding, the way team work between the players just naturally emerges is great. The game flow is also solid, with nice little natural breaks for people to grab some water and plan their next upgrade. I don't think I've had such an intense gaming session since college, and I'm looking forward to playing it again soon.

Ianator
              • IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
                edited February 2015
                2DS keeps having issues reading the SD card, but it only happens with MH3U (cart) and MH4U (digital). 3 times today, 3 times MH4U has magically not been able to detect the card right after saving to it. Thankfully it does actually save (so no progress lost). No other games do this, and the card has never had a single issue when I check it on PC, so I think the error it's reporting is inaccurate and something else is going on, like Capcom doing something funky with I/O which creates compatibility issues with Kingston cards. It's either that or the system is defective.

I am going to try replacing the card since I got an excellent price on a micro SanDisk with the same capacity and class (thinking ahead to n3DS). I just fear it's the system and that it may not last. I hesitate to contact Nintendo for service due to the horror stories of saves not being salvageable for digital games that aren't backup-feature-compatible. That's an absurd and completely unacceptable price to pay for warranty or paid manufacturer service; so long as that risk exists, my system's warranty is meaningless.

Sadly, this is really making me nervous, I don't know that I'll want to play MH4U until this is resolved.

IceBurner on
                3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
                PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
                Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
                Oh heck, they added a quest that lets you harvest an infinite number of herbs / mushrooms / honey all in one go. No more hunting around for Mega Potions.

Thank you RNGesus.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
                How do you get scraps in this game? Because I got a second Palico now but I have no idea how to make new equipment for him.

Steam ID: Right here.
                So if I forget to take a pick on an expedition, is there a way to make a spare? I seem to remember Bone + Stone used to work but I haven't found any gathering nodes that give stone mats that aren't mining nodes.

How do you get scraps in this game? Because I got a second Palico now but I have no idea how to make new equipment for him.

Try here!

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
                  I abandoned the goat horn test. I was only able to get one Klebia Horn until they stopped appearing. Is that just RNG doing its thing?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
                • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

Try here!

It's not there, but no problem - it's just a matter of advancing in the story, after you take out your first Zamtrios the option to get Scraps appears, I just found it.

Steam ID: Right here.
                  edited February 2015
                  Those were some great hunts last night.

@TimFiji @Ogretz and whomever is Solvall

Seidkona on
                  TimFiji
                  Solvall is our friend in RL. He's not on the forums.

Welp I hope he joins us often. It was much fun.

Frosteey wrote: »
                    FredZ89 wrote: »

I'd say probably

Sword and Shield
                    Switch Axe (Just stay in 100% axe mode starting out)
                    Hammer

All fairly mobile without a lot of complexity as far as what buttons you need to push and stuff. Long Sword might be in this group, too.

Lance if you really want to guard.

Equipment sets don't matter all that much early on. Just forge whatever pieces with a good defense boost that you can with the parts you have available. And upgrade them twice with armor spheres. I guess you could use some mix of velociprey/kut ku to get the attack up skill, or tetsucabra/alloy to get defense up, but it isn't vital.

Sword and Shield sounds good.

I started out with Lance, it was pretty fun.

I tried hammer and didn't like it that much, too much downtime between hits.

I'm only like 1 or 2 hours into the game, but it is very fun so far! I'll need to try some multiplayer soon!

My Steam profile