As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] MH4U released! Go to new thread.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I abandoned the goat horn test. I was only able to get one Klebia Horn until they stopped appearing. Is that just RNG doing its thing?

Sometimes the RNG will just mess with you yeah; I spent like 30 minutes trying to get 4 Sulfur Crystals last night.
    The Kelbi one is not normally too bad; there are Kelbi in multiple zones of the map, and Kelbi Horns are pretty common drops. Also, if you have any spare Kelbi Horns in your item box from previous quests you can just take those in with you and dump them in the box for an easy quest complete.

Cantido
  • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I propose our generic PA password should be
    which are the phonepad letters for WANG

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      SeidkonaFredZ89IanatorPLA
    • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      edited February 2015
      TimFiji wrote: »

Seconded

Edit: and added to OP right at the end.

Seidkona on
      Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      edited February 2015
      I can't shake the feeling that the charge blade is completely OP. I should not be scoring <10 min on things I've never hunted before... or so I feel anyways. Or it might just be I've gotten fairly good at the whole shield charge loop to get that axe power bonus.

Polaritie on
      Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
      Dignified Pauper
    • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
      edited February 2015
      SnS feels really good this gen.

Really really good.

Seidkona on
      Mostly just huntin' monsters.
      XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
      Dignified PauperfRAWRstDyvion
    • Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
      edited February 2015
      I want to hunt too! I have 2 quick questions first though. Would a 32GB Micro SD Card work in the new 3DS? Once I do a system transfer to the new 3DS (MH4U Bundle), and download MH4U, how do I get it all from the 4GB to the 32GB Micro SD card, assuming the answer to the first question was yes? I don't want to mess up my getting MH4U digital copy working/free.

Ok one more question... SDXC and SDHC, does this matter for the card, or will either one work?

*edit*
      Took a dive and came up good. SDXC not supported, got the other. Already did my partner's system. Soooo many free blocks ^^

Kuroi Ookami on
      3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
      Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
      Let me know if you add me on either.
    • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
      edited February 2015
      I am loving dual blades with this! LOVING THEM. I am also clearing room on my 3DS friends list to add more of you folk.

Dignified Pauper on
      PSN: DignifiedPauper
      3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
      Entaru wrote: »
      TimFiji wrote: »

Seconded

Edit: and added to OP right at the end.

Would this be considered a "phonetic" WANG?

XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
      Dignified PauperPLAMr.Skar
    • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
      I am loving dual blades with this! LOVING THEM. I am also clearing room on my 3DS friends list to add more of you folk.

That new spin move is THE BEST.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
      AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
      Dignified Pauper
      added everyone in the sheet. Some of you I already had. Happy Hunting!

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
      Well, Gore Magala down. The moment it calmed down it was easy pickings. That said, is there any particular way to get Talismans in this game? Because I don't seem to find them mining up to now.

Steam ID: Right here.
    • TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      HR 1\2 room needs one more! Find meh. Reg pw.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
        Drascin wrote: »
        Well, Gore Magala down. The moment it calmed down it was easy pickings. That said, is there any particular way to get Talismans in this game? Because I don't seem to find them mining up to now.

I've gotten a couple in... either the watery area or the tundra.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
        I added everyone on the current spreadsheet.

Just got to the second village in singleplayer. I really wish I didn't have to work on the weekend. I'm looking forward to binging on Monster Hunter during my 3-day weekend starting with US President's Day on Monday.

Using a Longsword is like coming home, to me. I started using it as my main weapon in Monster Hunter Freedom Unite with my Pokke Farmer character (since Longswords were one of the few viable weapon lines I could use with ONLY Pokke Farm parts), and I've kinda stuck with it throughout MH Tri, and MH3U. Still, I plan on switching off to other weapons and seeing all the new stuff.

I love the fight with the weird flying squirrel/monkey/elephant. The new stuff is surprising at times, but still manageable.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
      • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
        Got up through the Kut-Ku fight in the Everwood. As someone who never played Freedom Unite or previous, were the legacy monsters always that zippy?

steam_sig.png
        Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
        Backlog Challenge List
        Capturing is so damn rewarding. That is all.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
        I put my number on the sheet last night. I had been on the sheet, but no friend code as I was waiting for my 3DS.

I theoretically really like the long sword, but I have a lot of trouble landing hits sometimes.

What is this I don't even.
      • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
        Ianator wrote: »
        Got up through the Kut-Ku fight in the Everwood. As someone who never played Freedom Unite or previous, were the legacy monsters always that zippy?
        Yup. And they never got tired, because that mechanic didn't exist yet. They just got angrier and faster.

If you want to keep him still for a bit, you can smack him with a sonic bomb. It will stun him for a prolonged period of time (almost as good as a shock trap). He goes into rage mode after, though, so watch out.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
      • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
        edited February 2015
        I want to hunt too! I have 2 quick questions first though. Would a 32GB Micro SD Card work in the new 3DS? Once I do a system transfer to the new 3DS (MH4U Bundle), and download MH4U, how do I get it all from the 4GB to the 32GB Micro SD card, assuming the answer to the first question was yes? I don't want to mess up my getting MH4U digital copy working/free.

Ok one more question... SDXC and SDHC, does this matter for the card, or will either one work?

Yes, 32GB Micro SD will work. A successful system-transfer keeps the permission to redownload the preinstalled game. If/when you have only one system and one card to worry about, moving to a bigger card amounts to dragging folders on a computer.

For the record, I think that Nintendo have no idea what they're doing with account-management. Edit: Speaking of which: Under no circumstances are you to do any account-related stuff on the new system until after the system-transfer is complete.

PLA on
      • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
        So how do I get a new felyne to pal around with the first one? I'm sure I missed something. The tutorial thing said something about meeting them in the wild but the only ones I've met in the wild have tried to gank my shit, so...

PSN: Waybackkidd
        "...only mights and maybes."
      • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
        Still trying to find my place with weapons. Started charge blade, went long sword, now I just made a hammer. Up that poison spitting bird galap whatever, thing is a mega dick.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
        Beezel wrote: »
        So how do I get a new felyne to pal around with the first one? I'm sure I missed something. The tutorial thing said something about meeting them in the wild but the only ones I've met in the wild have tried to gank my shit, so...

You have to get to Cheeko Sands first.

Polaritie wrote: »
        Beezel wrote: »

You have to get to Cheeko Sands first.

Ah! thanks

I do love expeditions even if they chew threw all my resources and consantly have me going "Oh you've got to be fucking kidding me" Like night I hit like 1k points just because as they say, the hits kept on coming.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
      • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
        Drascin wrote: »

I've gotten a couple in... either the watery area or the tundra.

Really? Hm. Time for gather quests, I suppose.

Also, wondering now whether to try farming the Magala for something better than what I have or keep blazing forward. If anyone has used more Glaives than I have, is the "cutting/bashing/whatever" thing in the insect description of different glaives affect only the bug itself or also the glaive's damage? Because the Magala glaive kinda looks like a double sword, so it doing cutting damage would seem to make sense.

Steam ID: Right here.
      • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
        I think I'll start on a new weapon. I was playing multi last night and realizing I never once stopped messing around because I was using a hammer.

After putting like 4000 hours into hammering stuff it's like I don't really bother because even if things get dire I can just put on the serious pants for a few minutes.

Time to try something new!

steam_sig.png
      • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
        Nerscylla is a little tricksy huh? Or, at the very least, these multiple planes of movement are screwing me up, even with the target cam I had trouble keeping track of it, much less spotting its tells.
        Still, sub-10 minute kill with no KOs, so I must have been doing something right!

I don't feel prepared enough to jump into online quite yet; I'm still using the Jaggi duals as my primary weapon! But at least I've unlocked potions in the shop now, so it shouldn't be much longer before I'm willing to try some multiplayer.

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
        ALRIGHT I just went through the list and added everyone.

I'm not going to be messaging everyone individually I'll just ask that people add my code as I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

Now time to go kill a great jaggi for the first time for the third time.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
        *TyCart*_banner.jpg
      • dinodankzdinodankz MH4U:Kitsune 2294-6661-8886Registered User regular
        got to play a bit last night. weapon movements are so so smooth. I'll update my FC and add everyone later today.

Yeah I still need to add my ds friend stuff.

Also loving the hammer, thinking of making that poison hammer if only to poison things because F YOU things!

pleasepaypreacher.net
        I too, am enjoying the hammer. There's something so satisfying about fucking up dinosaur chins with that upswing.

• dinodankzdinodankz MH4U:Kitsune 2294-6661-8886Registered User regular
        I love that so many of you guys are into hammer and SnS. They seemed really underused last gen.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
        Hammer and great sword so far for me. Give me all the super satisfying charge weapons.

Though I imagine I will get more into great swords when I can make an armor set with focus or critical draw or sheath on it.

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
        I need to switch away from Dual Blades, I'm already falling into bad habits, like Demon Dancing.

I need better Duals at the very least, I only have the starting one and the bone starting one, that's it. Still wearing the newbie gear, too. That's made expeditions a bit of a bitch, heh -- I had a Yan Kut Ku almost down then a stupid Velocidrome showed up and I couldn't do anything but sit there and get carted over and over again. Also: Fuck the random charging from outside of view range mobs they have in expeditions. Either the Rhi-whatevers or the evil Pill Bugs, I'll be fighting some monster and suddenly *bonk*, I'm knocked out of the combo and flying across the map. Again.

I might try out the Insect Glave soon. A lot of the game seems focused on it (a lot of this expedition stuff is all about powering the kinsect up, for example) so it might be worth playing around with.

I opened an online room if anyone wants to join. Pass is default PA pass.

• fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
        Went and added everyone who updated on the friends list

still waiting on Ianator Kuroi CyrixD MonkeyConQueso Frei KupotheAvenger Fred Axen Bittwist and Suneater

J3qcnBP.png
      • michaelmathmichaelmath Someday Registered User regular
        hmmm... I kind of feel this reward grind (kill loot kill loot ...) has been done before but much better. WoW has been out for 10 years now. This game doesn't seem very immersive with all the loading screens and there is no story. Well I'm still in the tutorial so maybe I'll get into it. I'm not going to give up on it yet. Maybe it'll be better when it becomes a challenge and I play online.

Nerscylla is just dumb. It needs green hardness to not bounce on the legs, and something higher on the front claws. And then if it's upside down, your options are... aim at tiny spike or wait for it to bite up if you're not a gunner.

Is there a way to change voice without restarting? I think they mixed things up on the one I picked, because the sound I hear most wasn't in the preview and sounds nothing like the rest... and is kind of annoyingly pitched.

• ColumnColumn Registered User regular
        edited February 2015
        hmmm... I kind of feel this reward grind (kill loot kill loot ...) has been done before but much better. WoW has been out for 10 years now. This game doesn't seem very immersive with all the loading screens and there is no story. Well I'm still in the tutorial so maybe I'll get into it. I'm not going to give up on it yet. Maybe it'll be better when it becomes a challenge and I play online.
        There's always a good chance you're not going to like a monster hunter game, it's a unique mesh of action rpg looting and action gaming, but at least try it online with three other people from here. That is the game, it's what the series is designed around; all the single player nonsense is just to get you to that point. If you don't like it after spending some multiplayer time with the game it may not be for you which isn't uncommon with this series' love or hate it mechanics.

On the loot grind though, and focusing on that rather than gameplay, couldn't disagree more. No other game with an RNG looting mechanic comes close to letting me target the loot I want, including WoW and D3 (which is the other time waster I put too much time into other than MH), without adding another grind to the loot grind you're already doing. As you get higher in ranks doing multiple monster quests and some other stuff gives you more lever pulls at specific rewards so you aren't locked out for a week like raiding or stuck rolling against every item in the game like Diablo. Could make a strong argument for something like Bastion or Bayonetta, but then it's not RNG, just a solid, static reward.
        Nerscylla is just dumb. It needs green hardness to not bounce on the legs, and something higher on the front claws. And then if it's upside down, your options are... aim at tiny spike or wait for it to bite up if you're not a gunner.

Is there a way to change voice without restarting? I think they mixed things up on the one I picked, because the sound I hear most wasn't in the preview and sounds nothing like the rest... and is kind of annoyingly pitched.
        Even though they let you change your hair now with the other stuff I couldn't find a way to change voice or face besides making a new toon. I've barely touched the thing but unless it's a reward later in the game it looks like new dude/tte or bust.

Column on
      • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
        alright, so, how do I unlock a Velocidrome hunt? I can only find her in expeditions and I'm on the 3rd set of quests.

Are you the magic man?