As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[pbp] [Eldritch Horror] Round 12 - "Now.... Light our darkest hour!" ~FIN Players Win!

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Mythos Phase:
    A Clue appears in Norway.
    A Rumor starts circulating among those following the occult...

These phenomenon are just an echo of the destruction of Mu. The repercussions of the serpent people ambition still takes its toll even to this day... They say that the major event that was the key to their destruction can be felt in Hawaii.

In Hawaii, a portal created by a long dead wizard of Mu is still active. Players may take an Other World/Gate encounter on this space, and if they close the gate the rumor is solved instead.
    There are currently 4 tokens on this card and 1 is removed upon a Reckoning. When there are no more tokens, Doom Advances by the number of open Gates

Board Status:
    4a700cbd-6a97-4d81-9b11-4aa267ae651a.jpg

Omen: Green - (Blue) - Red - Blue
    Doom Track: 14
    Clues: Norway
    Gates: Tokyo (Blue), San Francisco (Green), Istanbul (Green)
    Monsters: Nightguant in San Fran and Maniac in Tokyo

Monster Information:
    Nightgaunt: 2 Horror, 1 health ( -2 to Strength/Combat test), 2 toughness. Reckoning Effect - If this monster is on a space with an investigator, move both 1 space and the Investigator is delayed. Otherwise, move up to 2 spaces to the closest dinner option.

Maniac: 1 Horror (+1 to Will test), 2 health (-1 to Strength/Combat test), 1 toughness. If you fail the Strength test, you may sacrifice an Ally asset to take no damage. If the Maniac is defeated, you get their Axe.

There is an active Expedition to the Himalayas.

Reserve Assets: (Number of Successes Needed)
    Bank Loan (0) - Take the Debt Condition to instantly add 2 successes to your Acquire Assets roll. (Always available, but you may only have 1 copy of any Condition, so you can't take multiple Debts)

Pocket Watch (1) - Trinket Cannot be Delayed unless you choose to (well, THIS would have been handy to have last turn...)

Holy Cross (2) - Item Gain +2 Will during Combat Encounters (Stacks with weapon bonuses)

Arcane Scholar (2) - Ally Gain +1 Lore. May reroll 1 die when resolving any Lore test

Axe (2) - Item - Weapon Gain +2 Strength during Combat Encounters. May spend 2 Sanity to reroll any number of dice during combat.
    (May only use the bonus of 1 Weapon per combat. May use secondary effect with any other Weapon and may have bonuses from other items/allies.)

Notes: If your character on the board is tilted left, you are Delayed, if the character is tilted right, they are either Incapacitated or Insane (depending on the token on).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Actions/Encounter
    Rest
    Prepare/get Train ticket.

Gate Encounter.

If this Gate doesn't pan out for me, I think I'll head to Tokyo to at least take care of the Maniac there.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Did I not get my encounter? Also, I thought delayed only effected actions not encounters.

Yeah you want to get rid of that back injury.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    You're right, shoot for some reason was thinking the Arkham encounter was another action.

Jackie steps into a place called Ye Olde Magick Shoppe.... Such a quiant New Englandy place...
    Miriam Beecher, the proprietor talks to her about the finer points of the occult.
    The conversation goes for hours and seems to go around for several circles. Jackie suddenly realizes that she's not talking to Miriam anymore, but some fishmonger in a pub and can't remember when she left the store...
    Jackie has Ammesia
    Amnesia - condition. When Resting, roll 1 die. On 5 or 6, this is discarded.
    Reckoning - on Reckoning, Test Will. On a failure, further actions happen.

Geth roll 4d6t5 for Jackie's Will

Jackie's Will:
    4d6t5 0 [4d6t5=4, 4, 2, 1]

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Oh good glad, I got that straitened out.
    Should have kept my mouth shut.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    It was a calculated risk. Passing would have netted you a spell or two

Or at least, remembered what they were :mrgreen:

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Actions/Encounter
    Prepare/get Train ticket.
    Move to the Himalayas.
    Expedition encounter.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Actions/Encounter
    Get a ship ticketRest
    Move to Midwest city, train ticket to San Francisco, Ship ticket to Hawaii

Combat Nightgaunt, discard holy water for +5 will and strength
    Other World/Gate encounter in San Francisco

Edit: Change of plans

Void Slayer on
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Actions/Encounter
    Double move with tiket to Rome through african coast.
    Aquire assett. Take the bank loan to get the axe.
    Location Encounter.

• Options
    @Preda and @Void Slayer
    If you guys want to roll for Assets and Rest/Condition Removal, feel free to do so.

Same goes for anyone else.
    Also, to remove Debts, you have make an Acquisition Roll and instead apply the success to your debt instead of an asset. Luckily, it only takes 1 success to get rid of it.

And now we see if The Outback has claimed @Daemonis

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    I'll roll, but unless I could use the eventual succes aganist the debt immediately (and still pick the axe) I wouldn't need it.

Geth, roll 1d6t5

1d6t5 1 [1d6t5=6]

• Options
    Eh, not quite. It's a seperate Action/teat to remove Debt/Conditions.

However with 3 successes, you can pick up the Axe and Pocketwatch.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Rolling to regain some of my memory.

Geth roll 1d6t5 for Amnesia

Amnesia:
    1d6t5 0 [1d6t5=2]

• Options
    Still no memory but I can just roll the whole fight I think.

Horror test

Geth roll 8d6t5 for holy water horror

Combat test

Geth roll 4d6t5 for Holy water combat

holy water horror:
    8d6t5 0 [8d6t5=2, 4, 3, 4, 4, 1, 3, 4]
    Holy water combat:
    4d6t5 2 [4d6t5=4, 5, 3, 6]

• Options
    Should I spend a clue to reroll one dice? I think I have 2.

• Options
    That is entirely up to you.
    Right now you're looking at 2 Sanity loss, but you managed to wound the thing.

(Your 2 Str test successes put you 1 over its Health, doing 1 point of damage. Need 1 more to kill it.)

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    I believe all successes count as damage against the monster, so he's done two points of damage.

You check the number of successes against the monster's damage output to determine if you've taken any damage in the fight, but all successes count as damage on the monster. If this is the Nightgaunt, it's dead.

• Options
    You're right! Thanks Bogart!

And thanks everyone for putting up with my rules learning and occasional misstep.

So, since I'm at work right now, I'll do the Mythos/Board Update in about 9-12 hours or so. That should give @Daemonis time to prepare.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    I think we need to resolve my expedition encounter as well.

• Options
    I'll pick the stopwatch too.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, I'll resolve all Encounters when I get the last player in.

Edit: Speaking of Encounters, I see nothing stating that you HAVE to fight a monster if you're leaving a space/passing through.

You just can't do anything except fight it only if you're on the same space and going for an encounter.

That is some handy foreshadowing information to know.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    That's right, you don't have to fight a monster on your space if one appears there in the Mythos phase.

I think there are some encounters that a monster will stop from happening, but don't have the reference guide handy right now. I know they stop you from acquiring assets, though.

• Options
    Well, for Encounters, monster stop everything till you deal with them. For Actions I think they stop Rest, Acquire, and Prepare.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    That is correct, but if you defeat all the monsters you get an encounter.

Thus I can try and close that gate!

I was confused by the monster stats but now that makes more sense.

Go holy water!

• Options
    edited March 2015
    Encounters!

Attempting to better understand the mysteries before her, Trish finds herself in a strange city in a body that is not her own. During her time in this city, she finds others in a similar situation. However their words mean nothing as she cannot understand the sounds they make with their alien mouths. With a great force of effort, Trish finds herself back in her own body with the choice of pressing forward with what she now knows, or trying to piece together what she understood. She ops to rest more and hope to close the Gate. (Trish is Delayed)

While investigating the catacombs beneath Rome, Norman discovers a hidden shrine to Cybele. It would be a long process to excavate the find, but removing the blight from Rome's foundation will be worth it. Looking at his new Pocket Watch, Norman remarks "besides, there's plenty of time now" (May become Delayed to gain Blessed. As you have the Watch, I'm assuming you're choosing not to become delayed.)

In the Himalayas, Akachi becomes separated from her group. She is attacked suddenly by a man, one that she recognizes as one of the people from the village that would torment her, but dressed in strange robes and holding a dagger and amulet (a Cultist spawns, resolve as normal. You or I may roll for Sanity/Horror, but you take 1 damage from the Cultist either way as it dies). Defeating the man, his body shimmers away into nothingness, the product of a Dream. Regrouping with your troop, Akachi locates a translator and begins discussing the Sherpa's mythologies and lore. However the Sherpa's mythologies mention nothing about Dreamlands or anything of that nature. The uncertainty of what she has seen haunts Akachi.
    (Doom Retreats by 1, but Lose 2 Sanity)

Having defeated the Nightgaunt with a well placed throw of Holy Water, Jackie looks to investigate the Gate that spawned it. An old man that witnessed the creature shows her the way. Crossing the threshold into Yuggoth, she discovers a set of artificial hands and a waxen mask. Her mind reels when she realizes that she's holding the old man's face... Musing over the old man's words, Jackie realizes that they were not as they seem. She quickly replays the meeting in her mind... He wants the Gate closed just as much as she does and follows what were apparently his instructions to do so.

Bonus Encounter! (In case @Daemonis is still indisposed, this will be his turn in the spoiler)
    The stress of travel and lying to people she once called "Brother" is a strain on Dianna and she decides to rest a bit and gather a boat ticket before exploring the city further. She is approached by the Theosophical Society as they believe she is one of the people that is going around hunting monsters. However as she cannot go into details, they dismiss her claims and leave her be.

Geth roll 3d6t5 for Trish's Influence

Geth roll 3d6t5 for Akachi's Lore

Geth roll 3d6t5 for Jackie's Will

Trish's Influence:
    3d6t5 0 [3d6t5=2, 2, 2]
    Akachi's Lore:
    3d6t5 0 [3d6t5=4, 3, 3]
    Jackie's Will:
    3d6t5 2 [3d6t5=6, 5, 4]

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Since Geth can't roll dice on an edit....

Will post Mythos/Board Update later tonight to give our fifth some more time to reply.

Let's just say that I'm damn surprised we're doing so well so far.

Geth roll 4d6t5 for Jackie's Will

Jackie's Will:
    4d6t5 2 [4d6t5=5, 3, 6, 4]

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Sanity check for the cultist.

Geth roll 4d6t5 for Akachi's Will.

Akachi's Will:
    4d6t5 0 [4d6t5=2, 3, 4, 4]

• Options
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Mythos Phase!

The OMEN Turns to (RED).
    Monsters Surge through the open Gates! (2 per gate)
    A Clue is located in the Outback.

MURDER FROM BEYOND!
    AP - A local curio shop owner was found in his storeroom among the antiques and knick-knacks deemed "too esoteric" for public display. Police attribute his death to nature causes.
    Reading between the lines, almost literally, you know better. The forces from Beyond are getting more aggressive in their hunger...

Mythos Cards with Reckoning Effects hit twice unless as a group we pay 3 Clues. As there's currently only 1 Mythos card with this effect (the Rumor in Hawaii) and it's still got all 4 of it's tokens, I'm kinda split.
    I'll pony up a Clue though since I can generate them on my own, unless Jackie/Void Slayer and Norman/Preda wanna split the cost between the two of them.

Board Status:
    image_1.jpg

Omen: Green - Blue - (Red) - Blue
    Doom Track: 15
    Clues: Norway, Outback
    Gates: Tokyo (Blue), Istanbul (Green)
    Monsters: Maniac and Cultist in Tokyo, Skeleton in Istanbul. Color Out of Space spawns in Istanbul, but movies to Tunguska! Gnoph-Keh spawns in Tokyo, but moves to the Himalayas!

Monster Information:
    Color Out of Space: 2 Horror, 2 Toughness. After the Will Test, roll 1 die. On 5 or 6, this monster is defeated

Gnoph-Keh: 1 Horror, 2 Health (-2 to Strength/Combat test), 3 Toughness. Reckoning Effect: All investigators on this space lose 1 Health

Skeleton: 2 Horror, 1 Health (-2 to Strength/Combat test), 2 Toughness. If defeated in combat, recover 1 Sanity.

Maniac: 1 Horror (+1 to Will test), 2 health (-1 to Strength/Combat test), 1 Toughness. If you fail the Strength test, you may sacrifice an Ally asset to take no damage. If the Maniac is defeated, you get their Axe.

There is an active Expedition to the Amazon.

Reserve Assets: (Number of Successes Needed) Time to bring out the tiny guns!
    Bank Loan (0) - Take the Debt Condition to instantly add 2 successes to your Acquire Assets roll. (Always available, but you may only have 1 copy of any Condition, so you can't take multiple Debts)

.18 Derringer (1) - Trinket - Weapon May add 1 to the result of 1 die of a Strength tests during a Combat Encounter

Holy Cross (2) - Item Gain +2 Will during Combat Encounters (Stacks with weapon bonuses)

Arcane Scholar (2) - Ally Gain +1 Lore. May reroll 1 die when resolving any Lore test

.38 Revolver (2) - Item - Weapon Gain +2 Strength during Combat Encounters. It's got a barrel that's blue and gold.

Character status:
    Trish has full Health/Sanity, 1 Train Ticket, 1 Clue, .45 Pistol and is Delayed

Akachi has 4 Health/4 Sanity, 1 Train Ticket, 1 Clue and the Mists of Releh spell.

Diana has 6 Health/full Sanity, 1 Boat Ticket, Arcane Manuscript, and the Wither spell.

Jackie has full Health/6 Sanity, 2 Clues, and the Flesh Ward spell. Jackie also has the Debt and Amnesia conditions that will trigger on a Reckoning.

Norman has full Health/6 Sanity, 2 Clues, the Feed the Mind spell, an Axe, a Pocket Watch and is currently Blessed. Norman also has a Back Injury, a Debt, and the Blessing that will trigger on a Reckoning.

Before deciding Actions/Encounters speak up if you wanna chip in for the Clue cost since that's technically part of last turn/Mythos phase.

EDIT: Is the map upside down for anyone else? I swear I fixed this in post...

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    I will close the Hawaii rumor this turn or next, but is this Mythos effect permanent for the rest of the game?

Did Norman's event give him a choice to become delayed and be blessed or did it say he was delayed and blessed? If it was the latter then his pocket watch should protect while still letting him be blessed.

If he chooses the blessing I want to see the back!

• Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    Sorry, guys I was awk for a while. Trying to catch up. Will post soon.

• Options
    I plan to go take the clue in Norway and rest to try to get free of my back pain while I'm blessed , so I could use freely 1 of my sanity point as a clue to stop the Mithos reckoning. I could give an extra clue if no one else want to.

• Options
    I plan to clean up Tokyo on my turn.

• Options
    I should have three clues if I look at your blessing, so I will drop one on the Mythos.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    I have a spare clue, so I can give it up for the rumour. I plan on resting and then maybe going south to try and grab that clue in the outback for the mystery.

EDIT: didn't see we already had an investigator down there. Hmm. Not sure what I'll do this turn other than rest. I can head to Istanbul and try to close that gate. Probably use the mists of releh spell to avoid the skeleton. Low strength means I can't kill it, though I could damage it.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Norman's event was "may become Delayed to gain the Blessed condition".
    I guess since it is a choice it wouldn't protect him this time.

As for the Event itself, no, this one is a one time deal. The only currently on-going Mythos effect is the Rumor in Hawaii.

I'll need to double check, but I'm not sure if the Blessed or Cursed status count for removing some conditions, since they aren't stat tests and injury/madness conditions specifically state "When you Rest, roll a die. On 5 or 6, discard this card."
    However since Debt calls for an Influence test to get rid of, Blessed would count there.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Bogart, Diana is heading up to Tokyo to take care of the monsters there since as an Action she can remove all monsters from the space she is in provided a Cultist is among them.

So it would probably be a good idea to head south anyway.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I can use Akachi's power to reach the clue faster than I can travel there, so I might as well do that.

Actions/Encounter
    Rest.
    Travel north to Istanbul.
    Casts Mists of Releh to avoid the monster before having an Otherworld Encounter.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Actions/Encounter
    Move to Tokyo using boat ticket
    Get rid of monsters
    Gate encounter

• Options
    Ok. Bogart, you want to test Lore for the spell?

Trish is going to shoot the skeleton either way.

newSig.jpg