PTSD(Pin-Traumatic Stress Disorder) or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Pin

QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest MortalRegistered User regular
Hey guys, it's Q again. I'm back from PAX East after a ton of hoops to jump through to get to Boston and I wanted to share my specific experience with my community, but it was a bit too wordy and off topic for the "how was your PAX?" thread, so...here goes.

So for those that don't know me, I'm a completionist, a 100% collector, a "hardcore", whatever moniker you choose to use to describe someone who has to get all the pins. In actuality, I have three sets of pins; one set is my 100% complete set, and the second set is the "I love these pins so I keep an extra" set, and the third is all the extra pins I collect to trade/give away. I caught the pin bug at Prime 13, but then PAX East 14 was my second PAX, and that's really where I was first introduced to the concept of the true definition of anxiety being induced by the desire for a physical object...the Tenth Anniversary Shield.

Now, people use words like "anxiety" pretty freely, I am among those people, but what I was feeling went beyond anxiety, it became true textbook panic attacks (for specific panic criteria you can look here for further info), but the feeling of euphoria when I got the first shield in my hand pushed that entire negative memory into the past, never to be seen again. That is of course until fifteen seconds later when I made the mental decision that(queue the music) I wanted to be the very best, like no one ever was...to catch them is my real test, to trade them is my real cause. At this point I started to amass as many pins as I could get because I would need them to trade for the pins I didn't have(DLC, aus 13, etc). I caught them all at East 14, made it to Prime 14 and repeated the process only more extreme. I was trading like crazy, I was amassing my Smaugian hoard, I was only concerned with trading for pins I needed for to trade "up in value" so that I could one day trade for a DLC. The most important thing however, was that I was still enjoying the hell out of PAX.

Then, that point came, I actually successfully traded for a DLC. It was done, my set was complete(except for a lookouts set, but that was easily managed) and PAX South was just around the corner. PAX South was a very small amount of pins, so there was almost no stress. Two of my three pin pals were coming down for it, half the pin community seemed to be showing up, and it turned out to be an amazing time. It was so casual and stress free, simply collecting the few pins and just spending so much time with so many friends was an amazing time. It was the best time I had had at a PAX, and the worst post pax depression I had ever experienced...fast forward thirty days to East 15.

We all saw the list, we each had our own ideas, plans of attack, and different pin priorities. My plan was simple, get all the pins, and help my East pin pal get the rest of the pins for our other two pin pals. One key difference in previous years, I had come to terms that there may be pins I could no obtain(specifically the gold overwatch as I am horrid at shooters of every nature). About two hours into the expo hall opening, my addiction was in full swing, and any possibility of not collecting all the pins was gone, they would all be mine.

I spent Friday and Saturday snubbing friends, ignoring everything, focused souly on obtaining pins. For the first time since I started going to PAX, I was not having fun. I realized this Saturday night after I had gone back to my friend's place...I was exhausted, miserable, and I felt like I had been nothing but shitty to not just strangers, but people I called my friends for the sake of pins. So, after some deep soul searching and internal evaluation, I genuinely came to terms with the fact that it was ok if I didn't get every pin. So, Sunday I would just go and have fun. I was still going to try for the gold overwatch pin, but it was going to prioritized second behind actually enjoying the convention. Got up early, got into the expo hall line super close to the front, I was able to trade for a gold overwatch pin and actually enjoy my final day of PAX East 15, and afterwards go have a nice time out in Boston with my friend and his family.

Why am I sharing all this? Why do you care? Well, you probably don't, but the fact of the matter is this: when your desire for collection causes your PAX to not be fun, you have a problem. Pins are fun, pins are great, and these little physical objects bring you great amounts of enjoyment, but don't let them get in the way of the joys that PAX can bring to you just by interacting with the community.

EvenstarevanephrineShadowscars22HijumpagentcooperBreeFaithfishfishmonkeyhatChubby BunnygrgemonkeyKingPin1
«13

Posts

  • EvenstarEvenstar PAX Prime Princess Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    The first step is admitting you have a problem, etc....but really, I hope you feel better and I am glad you had fun! That's why we PAX! <3 Wish I could have been there too!

  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    Q I hope you make it to Prime (would love to meet). This is a very well thought post. I am like you. I do NOT have to get them all. if I can get them without killing my budget or killing my PAX that's fine..but I won't go to a panel I won't like or stand in line for a game I have no interest/chance in..if I can trade sure..but..if not..the pin may arrive later for something else.

  • BrushwoodMuttBrushwoodMutt Registered User regular
    Thanks. And I mean that wholeheartedly. I'm a newb at the Pin scene so obviously on the opposite spectrum of being close to having a complete set. BUT, I have an addictive and collector's personality (they might seem like the same thing but they do different things, but can compound...a lot). So I already started to feel something similar to what you described before I've even gone to my second PAX. And it seems like it would only get worse because I seem to have come in at the point where Pinny Arcade is growing exponentially and the number of pins needed for completion daunting.

    So to hear someone who is similar in mindset to me, discussing this and pointing out all the negatives (I knew them before, but you can ignore a lot with a collector's mind) is really helpful. Because I'm trying to get myself to not want to collect all the pins but just the ones I truly want, be it because of how PA related they are or because of their design, ect. And that's why I want to thank you for posting this. I'm not going to say it magically changed my mind but it helps!

    tldr; Thanks!

  • GerzzogGerzzog OhioRegistered User regular
    This PAX made me ask many of the same questions. I have plenty of time to think about it, but this may be my last year as a hardcore as well. I love pins and I love PAX. Every PAX before this one I could get my fill of both but this time I got 90% pins and very little PAX. The exhaustion is still fresh so I will reevaluate later, but I too wanna have fun at PAX not be a worried stress ball who misses the fun. I would say one shining light during the weekend was meeting all the people with whom I talk to on the forums. I would miss that if I gave the pin chase.

  • silrnsilrn Fairfax, VARegistered User regular
    Thanks for posting this Qumaden.

    This is something that I'm working on too, maybe from a different angle, but the issue is still there. I managed to still enjoy the PAX the same as all other PAXen. The main way I did that is I will always put the PA Panels and PVPOnline Panels before all else. If I miss my single chance to get a pin, because I was sitting in a panel watching Mike and Jerry, or Scott Kurtz, so be it, I'll trade for it later. I make sure that I eat meals with friends, stand in line with friends (if not, make new friends!), and take time to talk to PA staff whenever I get the chance. In that respect I feel like I have a healthy handling of PAXen.

    The challenge I face is walking away from the complete set. I know that I've said that South 15 was the last time I'd be a hardcore pin collector. I ended up being wrong on that score simply by attending PAX East(thanks truly to Fayt (Braden) and two gentlemen named Perry and John), but by attending it enabled me to go after more pins than I needed, those pins for my collection, those pins for my friend, and those extra pins for future trades. Its really those "extra" pins that are starting to haunt me. It's basically an anxiety or fear that when I am missing a pin, I won't have the pin that someone else wants/needs to trade for it. Because of this, I've got nearly a complete second set of pins. It goes so deep, that I won't even wear a pin on my show lanyard unless I've got 3 of them.

    I'm sure I'll find someway to do it, but at this point, since I'm pretty danged sure that I'll be going to PAX Prime 15, I'll still go for the complete set for year 2015, but my sincere hope is that I can put this anxiety to rest, and just get the pins I want starting in 2016. Goodness knows my savings will thank me for it.

    It needs to be said however, that I won't ever be upset that I took up the pin collecting, because I've made a significant number of new friends and people that I genuinely enjoy spending time with in really random places! I said it during PAX, but if I ever completely drop this hobby, I'd still go to Pin events just to hang out with you people!

    evanephrineDuckieBreeFaith
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    You aren't the first to have this realisation. @00Fayt00 had the same thing happen at South. It was brought on by too many proxy offers for forum people.

    It's good to realise the point of going to PAX and doing things like this is to actually enjoy yourself. On my part, it helps that I do a lot of community stuff. If I was in there solo I would probably have burned out long ago. You guys are why I bother showing up.

    Chubby Bunny
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    We all have moments of clarity in our lives, or at least, I hope we do. I was staying with one of my old friends from my time in the Army, his sister lives in Boston and let us use her apartment to crash. She invited us to dinner Sunday evening and my first instinct was to turn it down(which I did) in the hopes that I could close down the expo hall and maybe get another pin or two. As time went on, I felt a sense of pure disgust for myself...well, a much more acute sense of disgust and hatred of myself than I feel on a daily basis. That eventually hit a terminal point and I snapped. The idea that I was willing to blow off not only a good friend with whom I served in combat, but his family who was kind enough to have let me into their home no questions asked not once, but twice.

    I felt the very essence of my being blackening and congealing into something horrible. I could not allow all the work I had done on myself over the years to attempt to make myself a better person be ruined by material gain, great or small. So, Sunday I left the expo hall early, went to have dinner with my friend and his family and get a little tour of their section of Boston; it was great.

    I've worked in cardiology, mental health, and a dozen other various fields of medicine in my time. I share my story partial as catharsis, but I also share it to try and help those who may be like me and maybe give them a little bit of perspective before they degrade to my level.

  • BreeFaithBreeFaith Voice Actress NYRegistered User regular
    Thanks for this post, It was a good read. I felt a bit similar during PAX because I wanted to do all this pin stuff since I never got to, and got really upset/anxious when I couldn't work up the guts to ask strangers to trade (as I was worried about being too forward/annoying/interrupting them even if they were just standing alone) and I got capped out of the pin events I really wanted to go to or lines I waited on to get pins. I realized Saturday night how it was not worth being so upset over and I'd have other opportunities next year to trade with staff or try to get Gabe & Tycho's new cool pins...so I tried to use Sunday to do what I really wanted to do besides Pins. In the end, I'm pretty happy with what I brought home- like my newly completed East 2013 set. I don't even want to think about how much money I spent though, or how much more money I should have spent either... I just want to find a nice way to display my pins I did get :)

    Voice Actress from Strife, Heroes of Newerth, Lovely Little Thieves, Huniepop & More
    Casting & Directing for YIIK, Mind: Path to Thalamus, MB Voiceworks
    brittanylauda.com
    www.facebook.com/brittanylaudavo
    @brittanylaudavo
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    BreeFaith wrote: »
    Thanks for this post, It was a good read. I felt a bit similar during PAX because I wanted to do all this pin stuff since I never got to, and got really upset/anxious when I couldn't work up the guts to ask strangers to trade (as I was worried about being too forward/annoying/interrupting them even if they were just standing alone) and I got capped out of the pin events I really wanted to go to or lines I waited on to get pins. I realized Saturday night how it was not worth being so upset over and I'd have other opportunities next year to trade with staff or try to get Gabe & Tycho's new cool pins...so I tried to use Sunday to do what I really wanted to do besides Pins. In the end, I'm pretty happy with what I brought home- like my newly completed East 2013 set. I don't even want to think about how much money I spent though, or how much more money I should have spent either... I just want to find a nice way to display my pins I did get :)

    Seeing people get capped out of the trading event broke my heart. I'm usually in the first or second group, but I try not to dawdle, I get in and get out because so many other people want to get in there and have fun; seeing people not be able to have fun saddens me. If you need staff pins, I'll gladly either trade you mine 1:1 for whatever, or can help you get them when I go to Prime.

    HijumpBreeFaith
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Did they cap the staff trading line at AUS 14? After I had my staff trades I moved to one of the provided tables and started trading with others (still in the sectioned off "staff trading" area). By the time the event was over I don't even remember there being a line, so I imagine if it had been capped it wouldn't have been hard to get in at that point anyway.


    As for the main point of this thread, welcome to my world. Although in my case I immediately gave up on the idea of getting all the pins the second they announced a bunch of 3rd party pins I had no interest in.

    But do you know what's good about just going after the pins you want?

    You still get to trade for pins you don't have. Sure, you'll still have pins you have to obtain. But when someone offers you a trade for a pin you don't have to have for a pin you were trading anyway, it's a no-brainer.

    You get to have that pin for a short while. Maybe you'll realise you don't need to keep it, or decide the opposite. But it was a low stress, low stakes trade and I think those types of interactions are just as fulfilling as say, trading a hundred pins for a DLC. ;)

  • SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    @Qumaden, thanks for posting this. I'm in the same boat and I'm doing the best to do what you're doing now - walking away from the idea that every pin is a must-have. My goal now is to work with my Pin Pal to get Aus '15, head to Prime and get Prime '15, and then throttle it back quite a bit. That gives me the first three years in total, nice and tidy, on cork boards. It feels complete, and I can go into '16 with a much smaller set of goals.

    Also, having spent (I'm estimating here) about ten solid hours in lines of various sizes with you, you certainly had a brave face on it. You certainly weren't shitty to me or any strangers that wandered by!

  • BreeFaithBreeFaith Voice Actress NYRegistered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »
    BreeFaith wrote: »
    Thanks for this post, It was a good read. I felt a bit similar during PAX because I wanted to do all this pin stuff since I never got to, and got really upset/anxious when I couldn't work up the guts to ask strangers to trade (as I was worried about being too forward/annoying/interrupting them even if they were just standing alone) and I got capped out of the pin events I really wanted to go to or lines I waited on to get pins. I realized Saturday night how it was not worth being so upset over and I'd have other opportunities next year to trade with staff or try to get Gabe & Tycho's new cool pins...so I tried to use Sunday to do what I really wanted to do besides Pins. In the end, I'm pretty happy with what I brought home- like my newly completed East 2013 set. I don't even want to think about how much money I spent though, or how much more money I should have spent either... I just want to find a nice way to display my pins I did get :)

    Seeing people get capped out of the trading event broke my heart. I'm usually in the first or second group, but I try not to dawdle, I get in and get out because so many other people want to get in there and have fun; seeing people not be able to have fun saddens me. If you need staff pins, I'll gladly either trade you mine 1:1 for whatever, or can help you get them when I go to Prime.

    Yeah I didn't know they were going to cap the pin trading events :( I was so excited about it and looked forward to it all year since it was gonna be my first trading event- I even waited with my boyfriend outside the line in hopes that maybe near the end of the event they would let in a few extras. Bleeeeh. Thanks for the trading offer though! My pin pals may be able to pick up Gabe & Tycho for me at Prime or Aus though, hopefully. I was able to get two of the staff pins from the info booth and trade with someone to get Roberts! It made me super sad to see ebay booming with pins though after the pin trading event :(

    What made me super happy though was when I went to the behemoth booth on day one and saw so many people trading and got to trade with some people and talk to them- I followed someones advice (didn't get the name or handle D:) to grab an extra set from the merch booth for trading with staff and enforcers and was able to get a few pins I wanted that way for myself, my boyfriend and my pin pals!

    Voice Actress from Strife, Heroes of Newerth, Lovely Little Thieves, Huniepop & More
    Casting & Directing for YIIK, Mind: Path to Thalamus, MB Voiceworks
    brittanylauda.com
    www.facebook.com/brittanylaudavo
    @brittanylaudavo
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    They were being very controlling about how many people were in the area, and if you went over to the table in the middle of the room to try and talk or trade with someone, they pounced on you and asked if you were done. Considering the space available, they should have altered the layout slightly and allowed more people in, because trading with people at these things is always fun.

    I know a lot of the veterans will churn through several times, because they enjoy the interactions with people. That's going to hold up the queue, which is an issue. I'll think about this and see if there is something that can be done to make it better at Prime, Aus and for 2016.

  • BreeFaithBreeFaith Voice Actress NYRegistered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    They were being very controlling about how many people were in the area, and if you went over to the table in the middle of the room to try and talk or trade with someone, they pounced on you and asked if you were done. Considering the space available, they should have altered the layout slightly and allowed more people in, because trading with people at these things is always fun.

    I know a lot of the veterans will churn through several times, because they enjoy the interactions with people. That's going to hold up the queue, which is an issue. I'll think about this and see if there is something that can be done to make it better at Prime, Aus and for 2016.

    Yeah, I think that it would be wiser to make it a larger event to account for people who will want to gather to not only trade with staff, but with each other.

    Voice Actress from Strife, Heroes of Newerth, Lovely Little Thieves, Huniepop & More
    Casting & Directing for YIIK, Mind: Path to Thalamus, MB Voiceworks
    brittanylauda.com
    www.facebook.com/brittanylaudavo
    @brittanylaudavo
  • surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I was never really a completionist, but it was definitely still was a nice feeling to be okay with that. I got into Pinny Arcade at the very beginning, so I started out wanting all of them, and it was totally feasible at the time. I bought my East 2013 set at PAX that year. I kickstarted for the DLC pin. At the time, I felt insane for dropping $150 on a pin. (Of course, that turned out to be a pretty decent decision.)

    Then Pinny Arcade blew up. All of a sudden there was not only Prime, but Aus and South sets. And not only PAX sets, but tons of third party pins for things I don't even care about. I own the full Killer Instinct set and I've never even played Killer Instinct. What's the point? I quickly came to terms with the fact that it was not only unfeasible for me to have a full set, but it was not desirable. I still consider myself more than a "casual" pin collector, but not quite "hardcore" either. I went into PAX East this year knowing I wouldn't even bother with Twitch or Overwatch because I knew the lines and stress wouldn't be worth it to me. I'm much happier focusing on pins that mean something to me. This year's East Kemper and limited edition polygon are some of my favorite pins yet, and they're pins that anyone could have gotten. I'll always be interested in the pins related to Penny Arcade (PAX sets, staff sets) and things like D&D, Ellie from TLOU, but I don't need that pin for a game I've never even heard of.

    All of that being said, Pinny Arcade is about you and your collection; do what makes you happy! If you enjoy the hunt for every single pin, more power to you. For my sanity (and my wallet) personally, it makes me happier sticking to maybe 2/3 of them. :smile:

  • thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    They were being very controlling about how many people were in the area, and if you went over to the table in the middle of the room to try and talk or trade with someone, they pounced on you and asked if you were done. Considering the space available, they should have altered the layout slightly and allowed more people in, because trading with people at these things is always fun.

    I know a lot of the veterans will churn through several times, because they enjoy the interactions with people. That's going to hold up the queue, which is an issue. I'll think about this and see if there is something that can be done to make it better at Prime, Aus and for 2016.

    I would definitely like it if there were a separate (or adjacent) pin trading event that was just for people to trade with each other.


  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Have an adjacent but separate area that people can set up with a few tables to just trade with each other. Perhaps some of us veterans could help moderate or start the trend. Maybe some signage?

    As far as not showing it @SerpicoBC that is reassuring to me. The last thing I want is for someone to have a bad experience associated with pins because of me. Holy crap...yea over the past few months we've sat in a lot of lines together! Not that I'm complaining, I've enjoyed our discussions immensely, but quantifying it by time is a bit suprising. I suppose that's what makes the community so great, passing the time doesn't seen like passing time, it's just hanging out with friends waiting to do cool stuff.

  • SerpicoBCSerpicoBC Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Qumaden wrote: »
    Have an adjacent but separate area that people can set up with a few tables to just trade with each other. Perhaps some of us veterans could help moderate or start the trend. Maybe some signage?

    As far as not showing it @SerpicoBC that is reassuring to me. The last thing I want is for someone to have a bad experience associated with pins because of me. Holy crap...yea over the past few months we've sat in a lot of lines together! Not that I'm complaining, I've enjoyed our discussions immensely, but quantifying it by time is a bit suprising. I suppose that's what makes the community so great, passing the time doesn't seen like passing time, it's just hanging out with friends waiting to do cool stuff.

    I've found that too. The time adds up, but if you're surrounded by friends, it's certainly not a waste of time.

    Heck, one of the nicest things about pin trading is that the hours in the queue line go by so fast. The hobby is social by nature. Pins are as much a sign of camaraderie as they are of brain squirrels.

    SerpicoBC on
  • HijumpHijump Registered User regular
    Ill post something to the enforcer forums about this see if we can get the wheel moving early

  • surettesurette kill the switch Boston, MARegistered User regular
    That was actually something I hoped to see after last year's PAX -- a designated area (could just be in the queue room since there's tons of unused space) where pin traders/collectors can hang out and trade, so if you're not doing anything you can hang out there and maybe make some trades instead of hoping to run into people just around PAX (though of course that's fun too).

  • Chubby BunnyChubby Bunny Regal Pocket Monster Boston, MARegistered User regular
    This whole thread is a great read. I've recently made the same decision to not go after the full set. I've eliminated all the pins for comics I don't read and games I don't play from my 'must have' list. It really helps ease the anxiety associated with trying to get 100%.

    Another practice I've employed (to great success) is reserving a pin or two every PAX that I'm going to give away for free. I find a new collector or someone with a pin they want that I have (within reason), give it to them, and tell them to pay it forward. This practice helps remind me that being a vulture and focusing solely on "trading up" instead of being social - "having" instead of "doing" - helps no one, not even me. Ultimately, we are fortunate enough to have the focus of our worries be shiny pieces of game-related metal. Hopefully, that realization is enough to kill a few of your squirrels.

    Battle.net: ChubbyBunny#1452 | Steam: Bunny1248 | Xbox Live: CBunny1

    My Digital Pin Lanyard || PAX East '13, '14, '15, '19 | PAX South '15
    HijumpfishfishmonkeyhatDuckie
  • NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    PedroAsani wrote: »
    They were being very controlling about how many people were in the area, and if you went over to the table in the middle of the room to try and talk or trade with someone, they pounced on you and asked if you were done. Considering the space available, they should have altered the layout slightly and allowed more people in, because trading with people at these things is always fun.

    I know a lot of the veterans will churn through several times, because they enjoy the interactions with people. That's going to hold up the queue, which is an issue. I'll think about this and see if there is something that can be done to make it better at Prime, Aus and for 2016.

    It would've been really nice to see an area right next to the Staff event that they let you go through to trade, where traffic wouldn't be too much of a worry. As someone that wasn't one of the first batch into the trading event, it was a bit annoying to see many people just standing around and doing nothing, esepcially due to the fact that at the time, Twitch was doing a queue for their own pin.

    I'm well aware that the main part of this hobby is interacting with others and trading pins. I felt like Prime had a very good set up; let people go in for a set length of time, and then it's time for a new group. If we can somehow add another area specifically for trading/chatting, it would be amazing.

  • NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    Also, great thread, Qu. It's definitely tough to not want to constantly stress about getting pins, and I know for myself this PAX was pretty tough in terms of managing pins and also feeling super crushed if someone couldn't get them, but going to community events/other panels definitely help out in reminding you why PAX is so damn fun.

  • grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    I came to peace with not getting every pin because I realistically attend only one PAX and I just can't image thought of putting my pal through missing out on PAX on my behalf. I did my due at Aus by getting as many Aus 2013 pins I could for them to sort of balance the inequality in total pins but I don't think that's going to happen at Aus 15. The only way I can really balance it out now is to simply ask for far less pins.

    Usually now I'm just sticking to cores and easy 3rd parties, life has been fine :) I'm actually excited I'll soon have to rely on trading, I honestly wasn't get much satisfaction from always having every pin.

    https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
    Qumaden
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    The world we live in now will see me being terrified of asking for a magic pin, and that saddens me.

  • NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    It's actually really tough trading for some of the harder to find pins, sadly. I know we always talk about not equating value to pins, but a lot of people do anyway and are very hesitant or straight up RUDE when you ask them to trade stuff. I'm glad the circle of people I've known or have come into contact with (you two included) are so awesome.

  • dmosineedmosinee Davenport, IARegistered User regular
    It's actually really tough trading for some of the harder to find pins, sadly. I know we always talk about not equating value to pins, but a lot of people do anyway and are very hesitant or straight up RUDE when you ask them to trade stuff.

    I do tend to drive a hard bargain when it comes to trades, as that's a big part of the appeal of the hobby for me, but there's certainly no reason to be rude to anyone. With my trusty sash packed to the brim with limited editions, Aus/East 13 pins, and rare partner stuff I was approached by a ton of people at East who were transfixed by some shiny in it -- but only had a handful of fairly common pins to trade. I would let them down gently, and usually back up my response with some useful info about the pin(s) in question (where they came from, why they're so rare, and some examples of other pins with similar value). I also try to redirect their gaze to the more moderate selections / fodder on my lanyard, as I really am always looking for new trades; even if it's something I already have six of for something else I have six of :?

    Digital Lanyard, I love trades - https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/dmosinee
    http://pinmash.info - Two pins enter, one pins leaves... then the other pin leaves with a lower Elo rating
    Chubby Bunny
  • NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    dmosinee wrote: »
    It's actually really tough trading for some of the harder to find pins, sadly. I know we always talk about not equating value to pins, but a lot of people do anyway and are very hesitant or straight up RUDE when you ask them to trade stuff.

    I do tend to drive a hard bargain when it comes to trades, as that's a big part of the appeal of the hobby for me, but there's certainly no reason to be rude to anyone. With my trusty sash packed to the brim with limited editions, Aus/East 13 pins, and rare partner stuff I was approached by a ton of people at East who were transfixed by some shiny in it -- but only had a handful of fairly common pins to trade. I would let them down gently, and usually back up my response with some useful info about the pin(s) in question (where they came from, why they're so rare, and some examples of other pins with similar value). I also try to redirect their gaze to the more moderate selections / fodder on my lanyard, as I really am always looking for new trades; even if it's something I already have six of for something else I have six of :?

    I totally understand that. My main point was, and I've said this other places as well, was that we give such a bad name to people who get pins to sell on eBay, but in essence, some of us are doing the same thing. We will purposely collect extras of a pin so that we can trade them off for much higher value.

    Personally, I'm in a similar boat as yourself. I enjoy trading, but if I have a bunch of extras of a LE or of something that some may conceive as valuable, and someone actually needs it to complete a collection or even further one, I will usually look the other way and trade it for them. There's no sense in me having 4-5 Carl's if someone else actually NEEDS one.

  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    dmosinee wrote: »
    It's actually really tough trading for some of the harder to find pins, sadly. I know we always talk about not equating value to pins, but a lot of people do anyway and are very hesitant or straight up RUDE when you ask them to trade stuff.

    I do tend to drive a hard bargain when it comes to trades, as that's a big part of the appeal of the hobby for me, but there's certainly no reason to be rude to anyone. With my trusty sash packed to the brim with limited editions, Aus/East 13 pins, and rare partner stuff I was approached by a ton of people at East who were transfixed by some shiny in it -- but only had a handful of fairly common pins to trade. I would let them down gently, and usually back up my response with some useful info about the pin(s) in question (where they came from, why they're so rare, and some examples of other pins with similar value). I also try to redirect their gaze to the more moderate selections / fodder on my lanyard, as I really am always looking for new trades; even if it's something I already have six of for something else I have six of :?

    I totally understand that. My main point was, and I've said this other places as well, was that we give such a bad name to people who get pins to sell on eBay, but in essence, some of us are doing the same thing. We will purposely collect extras of a pin so that we can trade them off for much higher value.

    Personally, I'm in a similar boat as yourself. I enjoy trading, but if I have a bunch of extras of a LE or of something that some may conceive as valuable, and someone actually needs it to complete a collection or even further one, I will usually look the other way and trade it for them. There's no sense in me having 4-5 Carl's if someone else actually NEEDS one.

    I agree whole heartedly. I try and come loose with extras of those beloved ones whenever I can. When I find the guy who thinks Automata is the best thing ever, or the gal who is wearing a Hanna t shirt looking for one of those pins, it's a no brainer. I honestly trade more to get pins out than I do to get pins in. This is unless there's a pin out there I need, then I just start throwing pins at people until I get the pin I need to complete the set.

  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    When someone offers me a trade I don't want to take, I like to sweep out their legs from under them before running away giggling.

    NowHiringHenchmendmosinee
  • NowHiringHenchmenNowHiringHenchmen Registered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »
    dmosinee wrote: »
    It's actually really tough trading for some of the harder to find pins, sadly. I know we always talk about not equating value to pins, but a lot of people do anyway and are very hesitant or straight up RUDE when you ask them to trade stuff.

    I do tend to drive a hard bargain when it comes to trades, as that's a big part of the appeal of the hobby for me, but there's certainly no reason to be rude to anyone. With my trusty sash packed to the brim with limited editions, Aus/East 13 pins, and rare partner stuff I was approached by a ton of people at East who were transfixed by some shiny in it -- but only had a handful of fairly common pins to trade. I would let them down gently, and usually back up my response with some useful info about the pin(s) in question (where they came from, why they're so rare, and some examples of other pins with similar value). I also try to redirect their gaze to the more moderate selections / fodder on my lanyard, as I really am always looking for new trades; even if it's something I already have six of for something else I have six of :?

    I totally understand that. My main point was, and I've said this other places as well, was that we give such a bad name to people who get pins to sell on eBay, but in essence, some of us are doing the same thing. We will purposely collect extras of a pin so that we can trade them off for much higher value.

    Personally, I'm in a similar boat as yourself. I enjoy trading, but if I have a bunch of extras of a LE or of something that some may conceive as valuable, and someone actually needs it to complete a collection or even further one, I will usually look the other way and trade it for them. There's no sense in me having 4-5 Carl's if someone else actually NEEDS one.

    I agree whole heartedly. I try and come loose with extras of those beloved ones whenever I can. When I find the guy who thinks Automata is the best thing ever, or the gal who is wearing a Hanna t shirt looking for one of those pins, it's a no brainer. I honestly trade more to get pins out than I do to get pins in. This is unless there's a pin out there I need, then I just start throwing pins at people until I get the pin I need to complete the set.

    Yep! As it stands, I have them all, so once my collecting is done, I usually will just try to give pins out to those who need them.

  • misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    This East was my first PAX after properly getting into the community, and seeing people around that I'd met on the forums was amazing. I hugged @PedroAsani! What a glorious event! But, I'm only casual, and after this PAX I'm not sure I can be anything but. I waited in line for something like four hours for two of the Star Trek pins, both of which are personal, I didn't even get one to trade. It was pretty much impossible to collect everything, but I did get hold of everything I wanted. I'm really glad to be going back to Aus, where we have so few new pins each year that it's really easy to only get the ones you want and spend time doing something else.

    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/misskass
    Attended: Aus 2013, Aus 2014, East 2015, Aus 2015

    Aus 2016
    [x] GUESS WHO JUST REALISED IT'S FINALLY THIS YEAR
    Qumadenfishfishmonkeyhat
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    misskass wrote: »
    This East was my first PAX after properly getting into the community, and seeing people around that I'd met on the forums was amazing. I hugged @PedroAsani! What a glorious event! But, I'm only casual, and after this PAX I'm not sure I can be anything but. I waited in line for something like four hours for two of the Star Trek pins, both of which are personal, I didn't even get one to trade. It was pretty much impossible to collect everything, but I did get hold of everything I wanted. I'm really glad to be going back to Aus, where we have so few new pins each year that it's really easy to only get the ones you want and spend time doing something else.

    I met you in the merch line on day one I think!

    misskass
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    misskass wrote: »
    This East was my first PAX after properly getting into the community, and seeing people around that I'd met on the forums was amazing. I hugged @PedroAsani! What a glorious event! But, I'm only casual, and after this PAX I'm not sure I can be anything but. I waited in line for something like four hours for two of the Star Trek pins, both of which are personal, I didn't even get one to trade. It was pretty much impossible to collect everything, but I did get hold of everything I wanted. I'm really glad to be going back to Aus, where we have so few new pins each year that it's really easy to only get the ones you want and spend time doing something else.

    We played Heroes of the Storm together!

    misskass
  • misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »
    I met you in the merch line on day one I think!
    We played Heroes of the Storm together!

    The fact that two of the Biggest Dudes in Pin Trading (based on whose usernames I see on the site most frequently) remember who I am is giving me the flutteries. Friends! Friends!

    (Also I don't think we played Heroes together so much as tried not to die while other people won Heroes for us.)

    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/misskass
    Attended: Aus 2013, Aus 2014, East 2015, Aus 2015

    Aus 2016
    [x] GUESS WHO JUST REALISED IT'S FINALLY THIS YEAR
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    misskass wrote: »
    Qumaden wrote: »
    I met you in the merch line on day one I think!
    We played Heroes of the Storm together!

    The fact that two of the Biggest Dudes in Pin Trading (based on whose usernames I see on the site most frequently) remember who I am is giving me the flutteries. Friends! Friends!

    (Also I don't think we played Heroes together so much as tried not to die while other people won Heroes for us.)

    You hear that Craig? We've hit the big time buddy!

    misskass
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »
    misskass wrote: »
    Qumaden wrote: »
    I met you in the merch line on day one I think!
    We played Heroes of the Storm together!

    The fact that two of the Biggest Dudes in Pin Trading (based on whose usernames I see on the site most frequently) remember who I am is giving me the flutteries. Friends! Friends!

    (Also I don't think we played Heroes together so much as tried not to die while other people won Heroes for us.)

    You hear that Craig? We've hit the big time buddy!

    Would you say that we're... pinfamous?

    misskasssudopoopCapt Wasabi
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »
    misskass wrote: »
    Qumaden wrote: »
    I met you in the merch line on day one I think!
    We played Heroes of the Storm together!

    The fact that two of the Biggest Dudes in Pin Trading (based on whose usernames I see on the site most frequently) remember who I am is giving me the flutteries. Friends! Friends!

    (Also I don't think we played Heroes together so much as tried not to die while other people won Heroes for us.)

    You hear that Craig? We've hit the big time buddy!

    Would you say that we're... pinfamous?

    Way to ruin it.

    misskassfishfishmonkeyhatAyefkaysudopoopHingoHijumpChubby BunnyCapt Wasabi
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »
    misskass wrote: »
    This East was my first PAX after properly getting into the community, and seeing people around that I'd met on the forums was amazing. I hugged @PedroAsani! What a glorious event! But, I'm only casual, and after this PAX I'm not sure I can be anything but. I waited in line for something like four hours for two of the Star Trek pins, both of which are personal, I didn't even get one to trade. It was pretty much impossible to collect everything, but I did get hold of everything I wanted. I'm really glad to be going back to Aus, where we have so few new pins each year that it's really easy to only get the ones you want and spend time doing something else.

    I met you in the merch line on day one I think!
    misskass wrote: »
    This East was my first PAX after properly getting into the community, and seeing people around that I'd met on the forums was amazing. I hugged @PedroAsani! What a glorious event! But, I'm only casual, and after this PAX I'm not sure I can be anything but. I waited in line for something like four hours for two of the Star Trek pins, both of which are personal, I didn't even get one to trade. It was pretty much impossible to collect everything, but I did get hold of everything I wanted. I'm really glad to be going back to Aus, where we have so few new pins each year that it's really easy to only get the ones you want and spend time doing something else.

    We played Heroes of the Storm together!

    I'm outside her window right now!



    ..what time does your plane get back in?..

    misskass
  • misskassmisskass Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Qumaden wrote: »
    misskass wrote: »
    This East was my first PAX after properly getting into the community, and seeing people around that I'd met on the forums was amazing. I hugged @PedroAsani! What a glorious event! But, I'm only casual, and after this PAX I'm not sure I can be anything but. I waited in line for something like four hours for two of the Star Trek pins, both of which are personal, I didn't even get one to trade. It was pretty much impossible to collect everything, but I did get hold of everything I wanted. I'm really glad to be going back to Aus, where we have so few new pins each year that it's really easy to only get the ones you want and spend time doing something else.

    I met you in the merch line on day one I think!
    misskass wrote: »
    This East was my first PAX after properly getting into the community, and seeing people around that I'd met on the forums was amazing. I hugged @PedroAsani! What a glorious event! But, I'm only casual, and after this PAX I'm not sure I can be anything but. I waited in line for something like four hours for two of the Star Trek pins, both of which are personal, I didn't even get one to trade. It was pretty much impossible to collect everything, but I did get hold of everything I wanted. I'm really glad to be going back to Aus, where we have so few new pins each year that it's really easy to only get the ones you want and spend time doing something else.

    We played Heroes of the Storm together!

    I'm outside her window right now!



    ..what time does your plane get back in?..

    4vp1pp648hfj.jpg

    Get off my lawn you whippersnapper

    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/misskass
    Attended: Aus 2013, Aus 2014, East 2015, Aus 2015

    Aus 2016
    [x] GUESS WHO JUST REALISED IT'S FINALLY THIS YEAR
    fishfishmonkeyhatsudopoopHijump
Sign In or Register to comment.