As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

GV10: [RESULTS] Best New Character: Results on Page 3!

DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
edited March 2015 in Graphic Violence
Our first category is Best New Character.

This one's pretty simple: Who is your favorite new character introduced between April 2005 and April 2015? They don't have to be a superhero, they don't have to be in a comic published by Marvel or DC. They just need to have appeared in a comic book for the first time between 4/05 and 4/15.

Rules

1) Nominate as many characters as you want! There's no limit
2) If you see one of your favorites has already been nominated, feel free to second or third or fourth that nomination!
3) Please talk about why you think your favorite characters deserve to be in this poll. Simply posting a character name won't disqualify your nomination, but...
4) ...this thread is also for you to state your case for your favorite characters! I won't be making a seperate voting thread, so here's where you make your case
5) And above all: keep it civil. This is supposed to be fun. I don't want to see people slagging on each other or their choices, try and keep it positive, alright?
6) One last time: the time frame we're looking at is April 2005 through to the present. If you want to make a case for a character from before April 2005, make it here, and I'll make a final decision when I put the ballot together

Alright, and nominations are open...NOW

Oh right: Put your nominations in BOLD TEXT. You don't need to all caps them, though

VOTING LINK: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Kl2q-8ZmPrygLzncCDGnGjPjSqyh2jBXc1fpp3JjQp8/viewform?usp=

DJ Eebs on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    DC's been on a fairly grim streak lately, which is why I recall characters designed to be actually fun and funny more fondly. With that in mind I nominate Larfleeze, the Orange Lantern.

And for being an engaging character written from a pretty unrepresented perspective, and also being fun, I also nominate Kamala Khan, aka Miss Marvel.

Dangit, I'm not good at longform advocating.

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    Bob, Agent of HYDRA

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    j/k

it's Jamie Reyes

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    should we have voting color rules, like

!Jamie Reyes

or something?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    Bolding is fine, I'll be able to catch those just fine

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I second Kamala Khan - she's a great example of the shift in comics to approachable, realistic characters that represent groups that comics didn't really see themselves in comics previously. Her book is well written and super pretty too.

I'd also like to nominate Lying Cat from Saga. In a book that is full of memorable characters, Lying Cat is a bizarre standout with some great scenes.

Finally, I struggled to pick which one to nominate (and really wanted to nominate Ripley as she's my favorite) but I decided on Jo from Lumberjanes. She's a strong leader and friend and I hope the series continues for a long time. I wish I could nominate them as a team, but Jo is a good representation of the values of the book.

• Options
    I might add a category for Best New Team, but don't let that stop you from adding individual members to this poll.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    I might add a category for Best New Team, but don't let that stop you from adding individual members to this poll.

Best New Team - The Rat Queens.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Seconding Jaime Reyes

He managed to be DC's most successful attempt at mimicking Spider-Man, while also turning several of the well-worn cliches associated with that on their head. He also managed to be a bold new legacy character who was wildly different from the previous two Blue Beetles while honoring and respecting their legacies.

Plus he managed to be more popular than fuckin Batman with kids on Batman's own TV show.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Battling Boy

Link.

Complete Paul Pope awesomeness. Genuinely marketed toward a younger audience.

Also, a mighty fine example of one of the Big Two shooting down an idea, for it to come back as a creator-owned property 10 times better than it would have been otherwise.

M-Tee on
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Seconding Jaime Reyes

He managed to be DC's most successful attempt at mimicking Spider-Man, while also turning several of the well-worn cliches associated with that on their head. He also managed to be a bold new legacy character who was wildly different from the previous two Blue Beetles while honoring and respecting their legacies.

Plus he managed to be more popular than fuckin Batman with kids on Batman's own TV show.

He also stole the show on Young Justice.

• Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    i'm sure i'll think of a few more once i sift through my pull list later, but some initial thoughts

Damian Wayne - Bruce Wayne's mouthy son is an idea which sounds all kinds of terrible, so kudos to Morrison and Tomasi for making him so memorable

Lady Weeds from Soule's Swamp thing run, super-callous former avatar of the green

IMG_zpsff328916.jpg

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Atomic Robo!

Seconding Damian Wayne

Seconding Kamala Khan

edit: if someone who is better with words doesn't make a case for Robo, I'll try if I get time before Monday

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Jamie Reyes - DC version of Spider-Man, check. Person who represents my culture, check. Guy more popular than Batman, CHECK!

I also nominate Phil Coulson. Shield Agent who defends the world as a normal shmoe with his fan boy knowledge of the Marvel universe and managed to survive torture by naming all the X-Men in order in which they joined the team. Hell Yeah

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Put me down for Miles Morales

Love that kid. Gave me a reason to like Spider-Man again and the best thing to come out of the ultimate story line.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    I nominate Amadeus Cho

Super-genius that managed to stand-out among the incredibly crowded field of Marvel super-geniuses, an Asian hero that isn't a kung-fu stereotype and one half of the best friendship of the decade with him and Herc.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    im gonna also second Miles Morales

i feel like both him and Jamie Reyes were this generations spearheaders in regards to making comics more inclusive. the most recent example being Kamala Khan.

Really, those 3 characters have had tremendous impact in the short time theyve been around.

rotate.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Seconding Jamie Reyes, Miles Morales, and Damian Wayne. The latter two are probably the most important and lasting characters from the last decade, while the former should've been but seemed to lose steam after DC sank him with the New 52 reboot and Young Justice was cancelled.

And, what the hell, a couple of my own:

Atrocitus - probably the most lasting and largest of the color-corps rogues Johns introduced, he was popular enough to get the Red Lanterns a spin-off book and to be made the Darth Vader figure of the Green Lantern animated series.

Broo - the intelligent brood who just wants to be a normal human kid in Wolverine and the X-Men. That book was so fantastic, and Broo provided a great deal of its humor and emotion.

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I'm going to second Jaime Reyes and Damian Wayne, and also nominate my favorite ultra-weirdo, Professor Pyg

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Seconding Jamie Reyes, Miles Morales, and Damian Wayne. The latter two are probably the most important and lasting characters from the last decade, while the former should've been but seemed to lose steam after DC sank him with the New 52 reboot and Young Justice was cancelled.

And, what the hell, a couple of my own:

Atrocitus - probably the most lasting and largest of the color-corps rogues Johns introduced, he was popular enough to get the Red Lanterns a spin-off book and to be made the Darth Vader figure of the Green Lantern animated series.

Broo - the intelligent brood who just wants to be a normal human kid in Wolverine and the X-Men. That book was so fantastic, and Broo provided a great deal of its humor and emotion.

Building on Broo, I'd add Evan Sabahnur. He's the ultimate high concept superhero - the clone of a murdered clone of Apocalypse raised in a virtual reality Kansas to be, essentially, Clark Kent. Everyone around him - except Deadpool! - fears that he's going to go kill crazy one day because he's fucking Apocalypse, while the audience keeps getting hints that this kid is going to grow up to be Marvel's Superman.

He's also the character I fear for most in the coming years. It would be very easy for a future writer to go, "Nope, he's evil" and write him out of existence to make way for the next Apocalypse reboot.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    I'm not sure Evan counts

Like I love him and he is wildly different from any other version of Apocalypse

But he is literally a clone of Apocalypse

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I'm not sure Evan counts

Like I love him and he is wildly different from any other version of Apocalypse

But he is literally a clone of Apocalypse

X-23 is also a clone of Wolverine. The thing that defines both characters is how much they differ from their genetic source material. With Evan, I'd go so far to say the thing that makes his character unique is that the question "Is he Apocalypse?" is central to his identity and the reaction to the world around him.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    I second the nominations of:

Kamala Khan
    Miles Morales

And I nominate:

"Miss" America Chavez
    Hawkeye: Kate Bishop(Just barely, she debuted April 2005 in Young Avengers)

I nominated Miss America mostly because she's a character I want to see more of, and if I have to explain Hawkeye then I fear there are more pressing concerns for you, since you have been living under a rock for 10 years, how do you even do that?

Transporter on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Evan totally counts as a new character

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I nominate...

John Diggle.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I nominate:

Alana and Marko from Saga as they are easily some of the best written parents and couple I've ever seen in the medium and they both have great backstories, arcs and are just really interesting to read and see grow and change from issue to issue.
    and I would like to second Kamala Khan, Miles Morales and Kate Bishop

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'll second Atomic Robo. The world's only sentient robot, built in the 1923 by Nikola Tesla, and his science adventure shenanigans over the course of the century? Yeah, that's a good hook.

Robo's punched out Nazis in WWII, had science adventures with Carl Sagan, wears a Beartato shirt, oh and fought an HP Lovecraft-turned-eldritch-monster from four different points in time. Plus his nemesis is a demented time-travelling talking dinosaur!

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    This is super hard. I want to recognize characters like Jamie Reyes, Kamala Khan, Miles Morales, and the like not just for being great characters but also for not being yet more white dudes. But, they're already covered, and to be honest they're not really the characters that captured my heart (well, Jamie did) (and... to be more fair, I haven't gotten to any Miles or Kamala comics in my to-read list yet. I imagine they'd also capture my heart just as easily).

Originally, I was going to nominate Kid Loki. He might be more of a character revival, in a sense, but I feel like he was distinct from old Loki; the entire point was that he was distinct from old Loki. I thought that the concept of a god of lies and mischief being reborn and trying to do good but constantly hitting the wall of mistrust created by his former self was beautiful and tragic. The more I think about it, though, the more I realize that it's not really the character himself that I liked so much as it is the character-in-his-environment. I loved the magic-as-metaphor element of Journey Into Mystery, and I loved it when Kid Loki made magical deals only to later slip through loopholes. I loved him trying to do good through the only tools available to him: lies and trickery. I feel like none of that stuff is really inherent to the character, though. If you pick up Jamie, or Atomic Robo, or whoever, and drop them in a diner in the middle of the desert, their personality will still shine through. They're characters shaped by their environment, sure, but don't lose their identity without it. If you do that with Kid Loki, I'm not sure what you'd get; I feel like the character would lose a lot of what makes him him if he didn't have the right environment to act against. Kid Loki is a part of his story, and he can't exist outside of his story, if that makes any sense. So in short, I like Kid Loki but what I really like is Journey Into Mystery.

The other character who really worked for me was Damian Wayne. I think that making him from an unlikable, entitled, violent brat into the hero he eventually became was a feat of writing, and I still impressed by it. I didn't think that Morrison would be able to turn me on Damian, but boy did he. Unlike Kid Loki, I think that Damian has a very strong personality, and what's even better is that he goes on a genuine journey to find himself, to weigh the motivations and actions of the people around him, and to decide on who he wants to be.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Also, a shout-out for Dr. Dinosaur for being a completely ridiculous concept that should be eye-rollingly grating and annoying, but instead works beautifully.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    So many good ones already, I'd like to nominate Smasher Izzy Kane and Eden Fesi aka Manifold

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Also, a shout-out for Dr. Dinosaur for being a completely ridiculous concept that should be eye-rollingly grating and annoying, but instead works beautifully.

Agreed.
    fcbdatomic_10.jpg

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I nominate Cosmo.

He is a dog who leads the baddest dudes in the galaxy. Or did, before the movies messed with the cosmic stuff. But still! He is a dog!

But it would probably be Jaime Reyes. Miles was a big character but he's sort of been built on the rubble of a crumbling Ultimate Universe. When, not if, they move him to the regular universe he'll probably get more traction but Jaime had a good five years of being new, likable, and doing things with legacy heroes that is what should be done. Plus his appearances in other media worked well.

I do dig Atomic Robo up there too. Not only for being original, but for quietly pioneering the way for indie and creator owned books without having to sacrifice fun and colorfulness.

• Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Kamala Khan
    John Diggle seconded!

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    To be clear, I don't think she's anywhere near the number one spot, but I think Janice Lincoln, the New Beetle is at least worth a mention.

She started as a crowd filler villain in Captain America, just a mook in power armor to make Bucky's life worse. But in Superior Foes of Spider-Man, she became one of the standout Z listers. A former lawyer, someone who could have a quite successful life, if she didn't want to run organized supercrime (striking a blow for women everywhere). Everyone in that book is a loser, but the different ways they're losers are part of why it works so well, and her steady feeling she's too good for this stupid bullshit is one of the best parts.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Going through a Wikipedia list...

EDIT: Whoops, didn't realize this was also the voting thread. Taking out a few entries I just threw up for completeness sake.

Bob, Agent of Hydra - Former hydra member turned Deadpool sidekick, still shouts "Hail Hydra" at inapropriatetimes. (like hanging out with 1940's Captain America)

Victoria Hand - Former assistant to Norman Osbirn when he was the head of SHIELD/HAMMER, she was given a second chance as the liaison to the New Avengers, a job in which she ultimately gave her life for.

Blue Marvel - Supermanalog and super scientist from the 50's who was forced to retire when America discovered he was black.

I'll second Khamala Khan, Miles Morales, Cosmo, Broo and Lying Cat.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    John Diggle seconded!

OK see, two questions.

1) was he even introduced in the comics (i havent read them, so i am asking for some more substance)
    2) is he as awesome as his TV counterpart or is this nomination riding off of his television popularity.

I many ask because reading the current Agents of Shield comics, my Coulson nomination is back by some great world building.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I'd like to second Manifold, having an Australian superhero (and Avenger!) is pretty great, and he's also a funny snarker with telportation effect that is absolutely gorgeous when drawn right.

And I'll second Miles Morales and Kamala Khan, they're both entertaining characters who have played an important role in comic diversity.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    This one might be a stretch... Dr McNinja its a webcomic (but now has a printed version). The site debuted in Oct 2005 with the official issue 1, but there is a "Issue 1/2" that was made as a project before that. I'd say the official online published debut would be the real start.

I'd also like to toss in Commander "Rock Lobster" Badass from Manly Guys Doing Manly Things. Anyone who is able to handle that many egos and keep it all together, yet still keep a fairly normal life otherwise is awesome in my book.

on the print side I think most of the best ones have already been mentioned that I can think of anyway.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Forgot one: Sam Alexander (Nova) - Homage to the original Richard Riders stories (who were themselves homages to early Spider-Man) of a kid gaining superpowers and having to juggle real life with learning to be a superhero. Sam is a pretty great character, especially in his interactions with his family and school. The big thing that sets him apart from his conceptual ancestors is that the Marvel unvierse is much different than that it was from th 60's and 70's. You can run around and be a hero without getting noticed these days, and Sam has had run-ins with all kinds, culminating with an honorary membership in the Avengers (simultaneous with being put on probation).

• Options
    Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Although he's primarily from the Young Justice cartoon and only recently included in the DC book universe (and not used nearly as well), I nominate Aqualad - Kaldur'ahm. Noble, pragmatic black teen team leader? Hell yes, good job.

And Damian Wayne seconded!