Options

Disturbance at Lake Webcomics

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I am, just like with Snape, willing to go back and reevaluate my opinion of the man if we ever get an update that explains his tragic history and why he's acting the way he was that puts all this into context of him thinking he's doing the right thing for good reasons.

Until that happens though i'm quite happy currently thinking of him as a neglectful shit who is being an asshole to the daughter he seems to believe is his property.

E: well, not happy I guess since this arc has been rather unpleasant to read, but i'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt for a thing we don't know even exists or will ever happen.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    If these elves can live for centuries at a time why would they have the concept of spending time with loved ones now as opposed to later? Humans have it because life is short and the specter of death is everpresent. Elves? Elves don't have the same idea of mortality or even time.
    Why wouldn't they? They'll live a lot longer before dying of age-related causes, but there are still plenty of other things that can kill you. Especially in a world with fire-breathing dragons.

Plus, there are plenty of things other than death that can separate friends. Lots of people cherish high school, for example, because it's a narrow time window they'll have around those particular friends. That despite it being only about 1/20 of your actual lifespan (for me it's pretty depressing that it's even that much). Life has a tendency to come along and move people around. People also change as they experience life; friendships that exist now are in no way guaranteed to exist even a year from now, whether you live 40, 80, or 500 years.

I'd think living for that much longer would encourage more of a sense of cherishing what you have now, because your life 120 years from now is almost guaranteed to be vastly different, and it's 50/50 whether it'll be better or worse.

I have wondered about this myself. Vampire media deals with the concept a lot.

And that one episode of star trek where data and geordie find those three people all cryogenically frozen.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Snape was just a nice guy that got friendzoned, maybe if Lily hadn't fallen for the arrogant jock instead of the angsty, poetic loner, none of this would have happened

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I am, just like with Snape, willing to go back and reevaluate my opinion of the man if we ever get an update that explains his tragic history and why he's acting the way he was that puts all this into context of him thinking he's doing the right thing for good reasons.

Until that happens though i'm quite happy currently thinking of him as a neglectful shit who is being an asshole to the daughter he seems to believe is his property.

E: well, not happy I guess since this arc has been rather unpleasant to read, but i'm not going to give him the benefit of the doubt for a thing we don't know even exists or will ever happen.

I compared Anthony to Snape the minute he showed up in this arc. I think he probably is Snape in this story.

The thing is, Snape was still an asshole. His bad history didn't excuse the awful things he did, even within the confines of what the reader "personally" witnesses, let alone what he did when he was a sincere Deatheater. Didgeridoo's link lays it out pretty well, I think.

Whatever history we get from Anthony, it's never going to excuse his current behavior, no matter how tragic that backstory ends up to be, no matter how sincere and good his motivations are. What he's doing is harmful to Antimony, probably harmful in a long term way. Even if he had come back and been the Best Father Ever (tm) at his first meeting, she still would be hurt by years of complete abandonment. Human being try to forget things like that, we want to forget things like that, but they still affect us whether we want them to or not. Granted, she's half fire elemental, but she still has a range of human emotions, and she's been shown in the past to cry at the situation with both parents.

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    TdbD1th.gif

Who the hell thought this was a good idea in Demon (sometimes NSFW)

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Snape was way less of a dick than Anthony is being right now though

I mean still a total dick and everything, but even in the first movie he routinely saved Harry's life even if he didn't like him and didn't actively sabotage his social position

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    A well drawn gun.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's entirely possible that Their Story isn't going to start a "You're gay!?" conversation and he's just just taken off-guard that she's suddenly in love with someone.

Or perhaps he's surprised she hadn't realized it about herself, because everybody else already knew.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Also

Snape was a shit

but I don't recall Snape doing anything in the books which comes close to how much of a deadbeat arsehole dad Anthony Carver is

Solar on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Well there's that time he kills somebody.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

I mean still a total dick and everything, but even in the first movie he routinely saved Harry's life even if he didn't like him and didn't actively sabotage his social position

My point was less comparing their asshole behaviors and more that we didn't get context for Snape's actions until the end of the story, which is why I think there's more to Anthony from a narrative perspective.

I am not speaking of Anthony or his actions as being that of a person. I don't get emotionally invested in any story, I pick it apart to see how each piece functions so I can apply it to my own work. Anthony is a character, one cog in the story that is Gunnerkrigg Court that I think has yet to fully demonstrate his purpose for being in the story. This character is too important to just be a simple abusive father, and Tom has so far been very good about not writing one-note characters like that. That's my "evidence" for why I think he hasn't shown his true colors just yet, because it'd be far too easy and very unsatisfying to write him that way.

• Options
    Well there's that time he kills somebody.
    They ask him to do it, though

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Madican wrote: »

My point was less comparing their asshole behaviors and more that we didn't get context for Snape's actions until the end of the story, which is why I think there's more to Anthony from a narrative perspective.

I am not speaking of Anthony or his actions as being that of a person. I don't get emotionally invested in any story, I pick it apart to see how each piece functions so I can apply it to my own work. Anthony is a character, one cog in the story that is Gunnerkrigg Court that I think has yet to fully demonstrate his purpose for being in the story. This character is too important to just be a simple abusive father, and Tom has so far been very good about not writing one-note characters like that. That's my "evidence" for why I think he hasn't shown his true colors just yet, because it'd be far too easy and very unsatisfying to write him that way.

This part here is probably where the disconnect in the conversation is coming from, because I would be surprised if many other people were approaching the work that way.

Personally i'm just taking things as they are given within the story, and the story right now is saying her father is a giant shithead. Other stories doing similar things with characters who were eventually slightly redeemed doesn't guarantee the same thing will happen here and I won't approach it as a given.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Yeah I know. Some people (not me) would argue that assisted suicide is wrong. I was kidding either way

• Options
    Yeah I know. Some people (not me) would argue that assisted suicide is wrong. I was kidding either way

a comedian eh

release the hounds

• Options
    statlerstatler Registered User regular
    the-children1.png

qy85xdkddou7.png
  • Options
    well he also runs off to a megalomaniac with information that gets a child orphaned and two other people tortured into insanity

• Options
    I'm still in a dream.

Snape Eater.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Plus all the horrible shit that went on at Hogwarts when he became headmaster.

Unless the book explains that?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    There was also that time when Snape made Harry mix a potion in front of the whole class and said that if he mixed it wrong he'd have to kiss Snape right on the mouth with everyone watching and then Snape ON PURPOSE gave Harry the wrong amount of ingredients to mix so HARRY WOULD HAVE TO FAIL.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    There was also that time when Snape made Harry mix a potion in front of the whole class and said that if he mixed it wrong he'd have to kiss Snape right on the mouth with everyone watching and then Snape ON PURPOSE gave Harry the wrong amount of ingredients to mix so HARRY WOULD HAVE TO FAIL.

Chico, you know we all consider your ending to be far superior to JK Rowling's

but we're talking about the "populist" finale

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

please ask for permission before re-posting my fanfic

did you not see the "original story © brolo 2015 reproducing or stealing this story or the idea behind it is ILLEGAL any plagarism will be reported to FBI!!!" included at the end of every paragraph

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Oh my goodness you're that Brolo?

I appreciate that all of your stories start out with a weird magical accident that results in all of the kids being aged up to 18+.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    if you paypal me $5 and can prove that you're not a cop I can give you access to my subscriber-only stories where that paragraph is sometimes left out

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    mMGZFMH.png

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Incredible

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I need to do some research on how dense you can pack a million rupees

is this a single wad scale or suitcase scale

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm actually going to lock @Bobkins Flymo in this thread by himself, like we did @crwth back in the day, only we're going to up the posts per page to 200 and he can only post new installments of Dresden Codak, Lackadaisy Cats, and Achewood. We can have the webcomics thread back when he reaches page 100, or when the sun burns out. Whichever comes first.
    YbnoFu2.png
    Cw9vbDF.png
    SONhJsK.png
    FD64z53.png
    HqLoRtc.png
    8CFrwRH.png
    Vnqp0pY.png
    BmbX7ZX.png

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    1427917223-326.jpg
    And everything returns back to normal in Fata Morgana.

Prague Race

Her hand ornaments are both intriguing and freaking me the hell out.

Hopefully we'll get a least a little more of Pam's pack before Colin is whisked away again.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    Plus all the horrible shit that went on at Hogwarts when he became headmaster.

Unless the book explains that?

Yeah, essentially. There was no way around terrible stuff happening at Hogwarts when Voldemort is in charge of the government, and by extension, Hogwarts. Snape was in, essentially, cover so deep that only he knew he was in cover in the first place. I think he's mitigated the awfulness somewhat, but there's only so much he could do without getting himself killed and causing things to get even worse.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Well, if it isn't hands it'll be something else...
    prague03.jpg?v=1416884466

But yeah, weneedmorePam&co!!!! :O
    It's kinda curious what have become of Leona and Miko as well...

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Oh my god that drawring is incredible

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    It's a poster they've got on that Hiveworks store!

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    c9d0da535OCy8.png
    Really, after a certain point it gets past guessing what's going to happen.

mokepon is probably NSFPWDLPFG (not safe for people who don't like potential fish guts)

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    How about we never post Gunnerkrigg Court ever again.

:vaderdonotwant:
    I'm actually going to lock @Bobkins Flymo in this thread by himself, like we did @crwth back in the day, only we're going to up the posts per page to 200 and he can only post new installments of Dresden Codak, Lackadaisy Cats, and Achewood. We can have the webcomics thread back when he reaches page 100, or when the sun burns out. Whichever comes first.
    YbnoFu2.png
    Cw9vbDF.png
    SONhJsK.png
    FD64z53.png
    HqLoRtc.png
    8CFrwRH.png
    Vnqp0pY.png
    img
    ]

Woah, dark.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I think Anthony probably does love Annie in his own way, and is probably doing what he thinks is best for her. The problem is that he's completely negligent of what his daughter needs from him

He thinks he knows what's best for her and in his mind, since he knows what's best for her he doesn't need to second guess himself even in the face of evidence that his behavior is harming his daughter

And that's where the abuse is

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    man I don't really want to dive into this argument but it reads to me that he straight up hates his daughter

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    shut up you nerds EVAN DAHM IS ILLUSTRATING MOBY DICK
    http://mobydickillustrated.tumblr.com/

tumblr_nlp9jwOUf71u8npafo2_r1_1280.jpg
    There now is your insular city of the Manhattoes, belted round by wharves as Indian isles by coral reefs—commerce surrounds it with her surf. Right and left, the streets take you waterward. Its extreme downtown is the battery, where that noble mole is washed by waves, and cooled by breezes, which a few hours previous were out of sight of land. Look at the crowds of water-gazers there.

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    man I don't really want to dive into this argument but it reads to me that he straight up hates his daughter
    To me it reads that there is no functional difference between him hating and loving his daughter. Like, he's causing her to be so tense that she stabs her fingernails into her hands from clenching them so hard. That's not healthy in any way and he should be far away from her whether he loves her or not.

Gvzbgul on
This discussion has been closed.