Options

Studios v. Wallets: Age of [Comics in the Movies, on TV, and Other Places]

Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..."a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
edited January 2016 in Graphic Violence
Still a work in progress, sorry!

Red - Marvel Cinematic Universe (thread)
Blue - DC Movieverse (thread)
Purple - DC TV-verse
Green - Fox X-Men Universe
Black - Other

MOVIES (for the next year, at least)

• DEADPOOL - February 12
    After former Special Forces operative Wade Wilson is subjected to a rogue experiment that leaves him with accelerated healing powers, he adopts the alter ego Deadpool to hunt down the man who nearly destroyed his life, all with a dark, twisted sense of humor.
    After years of rumors, Fox is finally making their Deadpool movie with Ryan Reynolds as, well, Deadpool, Morena Baccarin as Vanessa Carlysle, and Brianna Hildebrand as Best-Named-Mutant Ever, Negasonic Teenage Warhead.
  • BATMAN V. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE - March 25 | trailer
    The trial of the century! Or something. Wikipedia doesn't have a premise for this yet, but it appears to be a throwdown between Ben Affleck's Batman and Henry Cavill's Superman (partially based on The Dark Knight Returns), following on from 2013's Man of Steel, and kicking off DC's new shared universe of superhero movies with cameos by Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, Ray Fisher as Cyborg, and Jason Momoa as Khal H₂Ogo himself, Aquaman.
  • CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR - May 6
    After the events of Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America and Iron Man form polarizing factions based on their opinions to the world's governments passing an act designed to regulate all superhuman activity.
    One of the biggest Marvel stories in recent years gets its MCU adaptation. Newcomers will include Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther and Daniel Brühl as Baron Zemo.

For more, see here.

TV SHOWS

ON AIR
  • ARROW | watch episodes | thread
    Adapting DC's Green Arrow for the small screen, Arrow is currently in its fourth season, focusing around Oliver's reluctant return to the hero life as "the Green Arrow".
  • THE FLASH | watch episodes | thread
    Spinning off from Arrow, The Flash is currently in its second season, focusing around Barry Allen fighting against Zoom, a speedster from an alternate universe, with the help of Jay Garrick, the Flash of Earth-2.
  • MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. | watch episodes | thread
    Currently in its third season, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is following the struggle over a mysterious Inhuman artifact both S.H.I.E.L.D. and Hydra want.
  • DAREDEVIL | thread
    The first of Marvel's shows for Netflix, Daredevil follows Matt Murdock's (and Daredevil's) investigation of Wilson Fisk in Hell's Kitchen, amidst the ruins of the Avengers' battle with the Chitauri.
  • JESSICA JONES
    The second of Marvel's shows for Netflix, Jessica Jones follows superpowered PI Jessica Jones taking a case that hits all too close to home. It's real, real good.
  • iZOMBIE | thread
    Loosely based on the Vertigo comic of the same name, iZombie is currently in its second season. The show follows Olivia "Liv" Moore, a medical resident turned crimefighting zombie who can absorb memories from the brains she consumes. It's much, much better than it sounds.
  • GOTHAM | watch episodes | thread
    Currently in its second season, Gotham explores Gotham City in the time immediately following the murder of Martha and Thomas Wayne, often focusing on a young Jim Gordon and a young Bruce Wayne.
  • SUPERGIRL
    Supergirl follows Kara Danvers, secretly Kara Zor-El, one of the last surviving Kryptonians, as she begins to use her powers to fight crime as Supergirl. It's also a project by Greg Berlanti of Arrow and The Flash, but it's still unclear if this takes place in the same universe.

FORTHCOMING
  • LUCIFER
    Based on the Sandman spinoff of the same name, Lucifer follows Lucifer Morningstar, the Lord of Hell who has grown bored of his job and moved to LA to run a nightclub. Because it's a modern TV show, he also helps the police solve mysteries.
  • LEGENDS OF TOMORROW
    Spinning off from Arrow and The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow follows Firestorm, The Atom, White Canary, Heat Wave, Captain Cold, Hawkgirl, and Hawkman, who have been assembled by Rip Hunter to travel through time to stop the immortal Vandal Savage.
  • PREACHER
    Based on the Vertigo title of the same name, Preacher follows Jesse Custer, a small-town preacher who gains extraordinary powers and sets out to literally find God.
  • LUKE CAGE
    The third Marvel series on Netflix, Luke Cage will follow the character of the same name who first appeared on Jessica Jones. Mike Colter and Rosario Dawson will reprise their roles as Luke Cage and Claire Temple.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
oE0mva1.jpg
Mike Danger on

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    So, to kick things off: does anyone else feel like they'd actually like to see the solo Batman movie with Affleck that doesn't exist? Rewatching the trailer for Batman v. Superman, I kinda like that little snippet of him in the mansion with the creepy piano music and Alfred talking.

Edit: Also, while cutting and pasting the OP together, I had no idea Deadpool was coming out in February. What are people's thoughts on that?

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Deserves a repost in new thread

https://youtu.be/dMI6B734Ew4

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    M-TeeM-Tee Registered User regular
    I dig that in the last episode of Agents of SHIELD, it was revealed that Coulson is likely...
    ...building a school to train folks with powers. This could very well end up being the MCU's equivalent of an Xavier institute, and appropriate hijinks could ensue. Also, I'm digging Inhuman training village and Kyle MacLachlan is killing it as Hyde.

However, the conflict between the two factions of SHIELD feels extremely forced.

Flash has been getting better. I'm disappointed that Harrison Wells...
    ...didn't turn out to be an alternate Barry Allen from the future that succeeded in saving his own mother, thereby not receiving the moral compass that he obtained by being raised by Joe, which was the ongoing theory in my group of friends.

...and I bought my Age of Ultron tickets today. I will be seeing it in approx. 4 days and hope I'm not the only one, so that we can fill this form full of spoiler-tagged conversation. :)

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    M-Tee wrote: »
    Flash has been getting better. I'm disappointed that Harrison Wells...
    ...didn't turn out to be an alternate Barry Allen from the future that succeeded in saving his own mother, thereby not receiving the moral compass that he obtained by being raised by Joe, which was the ongoing theory in my group of friends.

I kind of feel the exact opposite, I'm perfectly happy with what they've been doing with Harrison Wells...
    having him be Eobard Thawne makes complete sense, going back to the first episode. If Barry was raised by his father I think he would still have the same moral compass, they've shown his father to be as good a man as Joe. I'm guessing if/when they do their Flashpoint arc and introduce Wally West he'll be Joe's son raised much the same way as Joe raised Barry. Every episode I'm amazed at the quality, the stars really did align perfectly, I can't believe this is still the first season!

Zavian on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Recent thoughts on movie trailers and television shows:
    Ant man: I like it. Going with Lang as opposed to Pym looks like it's going to be a really great move since it sets up Douglas as an older sage type character, has a redemption arc thing for Lang, and shows us who the villain will be.

Conclusion: I really want to see this, and I can honestly say that I've never been a fan of ant man.

Age of Ultron: The saying too many cooks in the kitchen doesn't seem to apply here; everything I'm seeing tells me that they're taking time to build all of the characters up and they are going to face an enemy that isn't going to go down anywhere near as easily as Loki and his chitauri horde did.

Conclusion: bought my ticket 2 weeks ago and will be seeing it on the 30th.

Agents of Shield: God I love this show; unlike so many I watch It manages to surprise me in nearly every episode and always leaves me wanting more.

Conclusion: I'm in this one for the long haul.

Batman v. Superman: I don't know whats more baffling to me; the fact that someone actually thought a trailer that depicts a world so without joy or hope or wonder yet somehow still is ostensibly about superman... or that there actually seems to be a not insignifigant number of people who actually want this.

Conclusion: Unless I hear some people assuring me that it isn't anywhere near as nihilistic as this trailer would suggest I'm going to try and repress any knowledge of this films existence.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Watching Agents of Shield after finishing Daredevil.

When does it get good?

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Around episode 10ish

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Might want to toss this into the OP
    CA_Supermovies_3-13-2015.jpg

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Man they're really going full steam ahead on Deadpool.

Filmed AND released before BVS, that is ridiculous (for DC).

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Around episode 10ish
    This was spot on. Coulson's operation reveal good lord!

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Might want to toss this into the OP
    CA_Supermovies_3-13-2015.jpg

The Valiant Universe just got optioned, so you should start seeing those crop up in the next few years. The comics are really good, so I have some hope for the movies.

• Options
    New Fantastic Four trailer:

https://youtu.be/cUN6rUgP_lg

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    There's a new Marvel ABC series in the works, in addition to the SHIELD spinoff, that apparently "involves reinventing an existing Marvel superhero character or property". No details beyond that though, I'm guessing whatever it is it'll be more PG than their Netflix series so I don't expect any Marvel Knights characters. I wouldn't mind a She-Hulk series, that would work well on ABC IMO, but 'reinventing' a character means it could be anyone (even that toned down 'Punisher-as-a-cop' series they've been talking about, shudder)

Zavian on
  • Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    There's a new Marvel ABC series in the works, in addition to the SHIELD spinoff, that apparently "involves reinventing an existing Marvel superhero character or property". No details beyond that though, I'm guessing whatever it is it'll be more PG than their Netflix series so I don't expect any Marvel Knights characters. I wouldn't mind a She-Hulk series, that would work well on ABC IMO, but 'reinventing' a character means it could be anyone (even that toned down 'Punisher-as-a-cop' series they've been talking about, shudder)

Hmmm.

John Ridley's also the author of the Those Who Walk in Darkness novels - a dark take on a team of cops who hunt superhumans. He knows the genre.

• Options
    Damage Control would be perfect. John Ridley was a comedian turned writer, so making DC be this light hearted look at how normal people rebuild even the smallest skirmishes would be interesting for a season or so, and you don't have to worry about removing the violence necessary for a Punisher or not having the budget for another superhero. And you can really expand that angle of the MCU without stepping on other toes for future, possibly bigger budget things.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Damage Control would be perfect. John Ridley was a comedian turned writer, so making DC be this light hearted look at how normal people rebuild even the smallest skirmishes would be interesting for a season or so, and you don't have to worry about removing the violence necessary for a Punisher or not having the budget for another superhero. And you can really expand that angle of the MCU without stepping on other toes for future, possibly bigger budget things.

His superhero novels are actually pretty dark. The man has range.

• Options
    Thinking on it, what are the major unannounced Marvel characters that could realistically be translated to TV/DC?

The ones with films already behind them (Punisher, Ghost Rider and Blade) are no-brainers. Those are especially likely, since Jeph Loeb has said in several interviews that he's interested in doing more horror/supernatural themed Marvel properties. I expect Dr. Strange will do the heavy lifting in first easing in the concept of magic and monsters in the MCU.

Outside of those, I'd put Moon Knight and Runaways at the top of the list. Starbrand might be a good MCU Superman, especially if that's not the direction they go with Captain Marvel. Ms. Marvel's another great candidate, but I imagine they'll save her until after Captain Marvel gets introduced.

My dark horse favorites, though, are Cloak and Dagger. They'd make a great basis for a Netflix show.

• Options
    Runaways would be fun, and the current run of Moon Knight with the white suit, embrace the crazy could be interesting.

But after watching DD I really don't know if they would actually give any real superhero the money needed to just make it look good. DD is on the low end of the superhero budgetary ladder and it still looked like they were scraping by.

That's why Damage Control would be simple enough. Blade has already been done as a TV show and seemed to be successful in translating over, so that's another possibility.

• Options
    Moon Knight is roughly DD level with the exception that he fights weirder stuff.

• Options
    Considering it's an ABC series, I really hope they go with a light hearted take on a character, like what DC has done with The Flash. They already have the 'grim and gritty' Marvel Knights side covered with the Netflix series. A Ms. Marvel series would work great, but being from New Jersey myself I'm obviously biased. Damage Control would be an interesting idea, and they could easily tie it in to other MCU films/series. Moon Knight seems more like a Netflix show than ABC though IMO

• Options
    Moon Knight is roughly DD level with the exception that he fights weirder stuff.

I could see a Round Two of the Netflix shows focused on the supernatural characters. Moon Knight could anchor that lineup, followed by Blade, Ghost Rider and, I dunno, Daimon Hellstrom.

• Options
    edited April 2015

I could see a Round Two of the Netflix shows focused on the supernatural characters. Moon Knight could anchor that lineup, followed by Blade, Ghost Rider and, I dunno, Daimon Hellstrom.

That's actually one of the major things I've been wondering about, will 'Round Two' be new characters, or will they be second seasons of 'Round One'? I would love to see a second season of Daredevil, but the way they have things planned out (roughly a year between each series) it will be four years until 'Defenders' comes out, so does that mean four years until season two of Daredevil? (even the Daredevil showrunner is unsure about this)

Zavian on
  • Options

That's actually one of the major things I've been wondering about, will 'Round Two' be new characters, or will they be second seasons of 'Round One'? I would love to see a second season of Daredevil, but the way they have things planned out (roughly a year between each series) it will be four years until 'Defenders' comes out, so does that mean four years until season two of Daredevil? (even the Daredevil showrunner is unsure about this)

I thought the current schedule is actually two a year. We'll get Jessica Jones this winter, Iron Man and Luke Cage in 2016 and Defenders early 2017. One a year just seems out of step with the way they run the rest of the franchise.

As for season 2, they certainly structured Daredevil to have several hooks for future seasons. Whether that's because they intended for the show's to go multiple seasons or they were just suggestive hints for the fans, I haven't heard one way or the other.

• Options
    I think what they did was add hooks for Luke Cage and especially Iron Fist, so I'm guessing their plan was to release those along with Defenders until a second season of Daredevil (that's what the Daredevil showrunner was saying, but he also said because it's been so successful and Netflix has been having record subscribers that the Marvel TV higher ups are rethinking their plans). And yeah they said 'roughly a year' between series, so you're right, it would be more like 3 years than four years until they finish up Defenders

• Options

I thought the current schedule is actually two a year. We'll get Jessica Jones this winter, Iron Man and Luke Cage in 2016 and Defenders early 2017. One a year just seems out of step with the way they run the rest of the franchise.

As for season 2, they certainly structured Daredevil to have several hooks for future seasons. Whether that's because they intended for the show's to go multiple seasons or they were just suggestive hints for the fans, I haven't heard one way or the other.

Netflix says 2015 for Jessica Jones, but the head of Netflix said they'd like only do one of them a year.

For what it's worth, Jessica Jones started filming seven months after Daredevil did; so that would make sense for a late 2015 release rather than a 2016 one.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    In the original announcement they said 2 per year. Whether that actually works out in reality remains to be seen.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Justice League: Gods & Monsters looks really good. I wish Timm was doing the comic, though.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I want a weekly She-Hulk series. Lawyer shows do well on TV and having a show that could alternate between courtroom drama and beating up criminals could be a good money saver to make the show less of a financial risk to take. As a character, she's super interesting and the best part is you could cameo about anyone into it with the right court case.

Also, I agree that I would love a solo Affleck Batman movie.

• Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    The "sides" in Civil War have been chosen. Also, the villain for Civil War. And...you can kind of infer which character
    dies in AoU
    . Big spoilers ahead.
    Pretty much every Avengers character that DOESN’T have their own franchise is going to appear in CIVIL WAR. Some we already know about, including Cap (obviously), Winter Soldier, Falcon, Black Panther, Black Widow, Iron Man, and Hawkeye. We can also confirm the recently rumored Scarlet Witch, as well as The Vision, War Machine, and even Ant-Man. The non-hero villains are, as already confirmed, Baron Zemo and Crossbones.

Now, our source also indicated that this roster has some wiggle room, so there’s always the chance that a few may be shuffled out at some point, but right now this IS the plan. As for Spider-Man; Marvel is playing it close to the chest, so there’s no info on how he’s involved...yet. In terms of who’s facing off with who: So far it looks like Cap, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Falcon vs. Iron Man, War Machine, The Vision, and Ant-Man, with the Scarlet Witch and Black Panther somewhere in the mix. Oh, and expect to see Ant-Man take on the Giant-Man form in battle.

EDIT: Add more spoiler tags

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • Options
    Great, now I know someone
    Dies
    in Age of Ultron. :(

• Options
    Dies

I'm guessing they mean...
    Quicksilver? Seems kind of a waste to introduce him then kill him off in the same movie

• Options
    Those sides are believable if true.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Dies

Quicksilver? Seems kind of a waste to introduce him then kill him off in the same movie

Age of Ultron spoilers
    It'd be a hell of a sendoff for Quicksilver if it's true. QS in DOFP, now that was a waste.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Dies

Age of Ultron spoilers
    It'd be a hell of a sendoff for Quicksilver if it's true. QS in DOFP, now that was a waste.

My theory is Whedon goes full
    Wash. He does something incredibawesome which no other character could do, and gets a moment to brag, and then Ultron shoves its fist through his chest.

I would not be surprised if that's what happens immediately after that bit from the commercial: "What? Didn't you see that coming?"

• Options
    edited April 2015
    New Agents of SHIELD spinoff details, it looks like they're taking my two favorite characters and giving them their own show. Kind of a bummer, leaves a void in the main Agents of SHIELD show IMO, but a whole show focused on Mockingbird and Hunter is something I could see myself watching if done right (Secret Avengers? Yes, please)

Zavian on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Just saw Batman vs. Robin.

It was pretty dumb, but it was muuuuuch better than Batman and Son.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I liked BvR. What didn't you like about it?

• Options
    It was what prompted my complaint in the last thread about how the dc animated movies nearly all have one scene in them with hamfisted vulgarity in an attempt to seem "adult," and by doing so, just seem immature.
    then Batman drives a mech to fight zombies, which regardless of whether it was in the source material or not, the rest of the movie tried to take itself way too seriously for that not to stick out tonally.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Guess this answers my question, Daredevil is getting a second season on Netflix. Glad that it's coming next year, hopefully they'll fit in Bullseye and Elektra. Really sad to see DeKnight go though, he did an awesome job. It's again in the hands of Buffy alumni from the House of Whedon, so I still have faith

Zavian on
  • Options
    The first season had some easily fixable flaws (mainly budget) but that's good news, I guess there's some kind of Netflix metric and retention number they can forecast for new members that made it a success.