As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving to the Detroit area

Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
My wife and I will shortly be moving in order to be roughly midway between her job in Grosse Pointe and my job in Ann Arbor, and I'm looking for some advice on neighborhoods and towns to investigate and watch out for. We're both from little towns, and don't have a great sense of how to distinguish a decent place with a bad reputation from an actually bad place; additionally, we've both lived most of our lives in places where crime isn't a significant problem. I commuted to Dearborn for a while, and it seemed reasonable enough, but driving in and back out is different from living there.

So far, we've identified Livonia, Southfield, Dearborn, Taylor, and Alan Park as potential places. That's a pretty early and tentative list, though.

I'm hoping to get a few pointers on what to look for and look out for as we're hunting for a place to rent, both specific to the area ("Don't move to Inkster!") and general ("Avoid towns with armed checkpoints at the entrance"). And if you happen to be a friendly landlord with an affordable place in a great neighborhood, that's great, too!

Thanks much!

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Plymouth is really nice. Based on the retail areas, Canton is a decent place too, though I don't have any direct experience living there. Both are more towards the Ann Arbor direction than the others you mention, so it would be a longer commute to Grosse Pointe.

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Royal Oak is pretty awesome. Tons of young people, bars, restaurants and cultural activities. 45 minute drive to Ann Arbor with no traffic.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Hadn't considered Royal Oak; it's definitely a haul for me, but keeping her commute short is a bit more of a priority, as she needs to be able to get to work at the drop of a hat more than I ever do. That makes Plymouth and Canton tough sells, unfortunately. Thanks!

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Livonia isn't bad either. When I was looking at places between Detroit and Ann Arbor for commute to work in Plymouth, I used the crime map option when looking up properties on trulia.com just to get a feel for what kind of neighborhood the various places were in.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    A friend of mine has been trying to sell his house in Commerce Township ever since he relocated to Virginia. If that area sounds good to you I can get more details.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    My wife and I will shortly be moving in order to be roughly midway between her job in Grosse Pointe and my job in Ann Arbor, and I'm looking for some advice on neighborhoods and towns to investigate and watch out for. We're both from little towns, and don't have a great sense of how to distinguish a decent place with a bad reputation from an actually bad place; additionally, we've both lived most of our lives in places where crime isn't a significant problem. I commuted to Dearborn for a while, and it seemed reasonable enough, but driving in and back out is different from living there.

So far, we've identified Livonia, Southfield, Dearborn, Taylor, and Alan Park as potential places. That's a pretty early and tentative list, though.

I'm hoping to get a few pointers on what to look for and look out for as we're hunting for a place to rent, both specific to the area ("Don't move to Inkster!") and general ("Avoid towns with armed checkpoints at the entrance"). And if you happen to be a friendly landlord with an affordable place in a great neighborhood, that's great, too!

Thanks much!

I'd say up front that splitting between Grosse Point and A2, commuting is going to be terrible for one of you or pretty shitty for both of you. If there's a disparity between your jobs (i.e. she's making $30k in retail, you're making $60k in a career position) you should try and optimize the commute to the better long-term prospect.

Downriver can be hit or miss - some areas are rougher than others, generally Taylor is known to be kinda crappy and rednecky (Taylortucky) but most of the places aren't that bad or have decent areas. Generally, the closer you get to the river and further you get from Detroit the nicer everything gets, but you'll trade off with a longer commute. Without knowing your budget, I'd say your list isn't bad, but add Wyandotte and Belleville to the list. Also check out Huron Twp - it's a bit more rural but traffic isn't bad up 275 and you're only a few miles south of 94.

You could even consider somewhere like Flat Rock - she can take 75 up and you can hop across to 275 - like I said, it's not that bad a drive (i did Newport to A2 for a few years -- it's almost all freeway and not terrible).

I generally can't stand the traffic on 275/696/96 between Canton and Novi but if you can find somewhere off 14 or 96 east of 275 the commute shouldn't be that overly painful for either of you. That's a FAST stretch of freeway.

Generally though, I'd go looking at anywhere along 94 and 96 except Inkster, Ypsi, Willow Run, or Detroit and find somewhere you like. Melvindale, Wayne, and Romulus are shaky but not all bad. Take some time to walk the neighborhoods and check how bad the traffic will be going to / from work (take a day off and try your commute) but there's not going to be someplace that's overwhelmingly good or bad in that list.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I think this thread needs more @DaMoonRulz

I used to live in Ypsilanti, but that was so long ago I couldn't really tell you about it these days.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    zagdrob wrote: »

Thanks much!

I'd say up front that splitting between Grosse Point and A2, commuting is going to be terrible for one of you or pretty shitty for both of you. If there's a disparity between your jobs (i.e. she's making $30k in retail, you're making $60k in a career position) you should try and optimize the commute to the better long-term prospect.
    It's pretty much going to be garbage for me by default, because I don't like to drive to begin with, let alone in the kind of traffic you see out that way. But this is pretty much her dream job: she's working at a hunt club, and needs to be able to get their quickly if one of the horses has a problem. Anything much over 30 minutes from Grosse Pointe will be a tough sell for me.
    Downriver can be hit or miss - some areas are rougher than others, generally Taylor is known to be kinda crappy and rednecky (Taylortucky) but most of the places aren't that bad or have decent areas. Generally, the closer you get to the river and further you get from Detroit the nicer everything gets, but you'll trade off with a longer commute. Without knowing your budget, I'd say your list isn't bad, but add Wyandotte and Belleville to the list. Also check out Huron Twp - it's a bit more rural but traffic isn't bad up 275 and you're only a few miles south of 94.
    We actually lived in Belleville; I'd more or less forgotten that it was in Wayne County. It wasn't bad, but probably too far west.
    Generally though, I'd go looking at anywhere along 94 and 96 except Inkster, Ypsi, Willow Run, or Detroit and find somewhere you like. Melvindale, Wayne, and Romulus are shaky but not all bad. Take some time to walk the neighborhoods and check how bad the traffic will be going to / from work (take a day off and try your commute) but there's not going to be someplace that's overwhelmingly good or bad in that list.
    Definitely good advice; thanks!

@Robonun : Thanks, but it looks like Commerce Township is a bit too far, unfortunately.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    I'm in Lansing, so I won't be much help. Maybe @Huntera

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    The Wixom / South Lyon / Brighton area isn't terrible from a price standpoint, and you still have easy access to 23 / 96. Easy access to Kensington as well.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Also, unless you're living in Detroit proper (or Flint), the crime issue is almost entirely overblown.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Southfield can be a little cruddy if you're in the wrong part of it, but the closer you get to Bloomfield the nicer it gets. However, traffic around Southfield, especially by 696, is a nightmare during rush hour.

If you are looking around Royal Oak, Ferndale has become a really great town in the last few years.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    Downtown Farmington has a small town feel and pretty reasonable prices (plus good access to 696 and 14). Farmington hills/Novi/Livona can be a little too suburby.

l7n41RV.png
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback, all; that definitely helps narrow our search. Anyone know anything about Redford? My wife found one she liked there.
    Also, unless you're living in Detroit proper (or Flint), the crime issue is almost entirely overblown.
    This is good to hear.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @tigliss You in the area?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    TiglissTigliss Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @tigliss You in the area?

Yup, relatively recent transplant too.

Redford gets a big meh... If you've got kids or planning on them, school districts can be awesome or awful in less than a mile, just something to keep in mind.

l7n41RV.png