As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cthulhu Wars 2: R'lyeh Boogaloo

AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
edited May 2015 in Critical Failures
cthulhu_wars_by_butttornado-d671jfa.jpg

(Apologies to Mr. Body for blatantly stealing his OP, but he definitely gets to play, so hopefully that makes up for it.)

Personally I think Cthulu Wars is a tense and fascinating game, and I look forward to helping y'all play it.

If I'm not mistaken, we have 4 players ready to go and one alternate:

@Jam Warrior @Lykouragh @MrBody @admanb @jakobagger

You five have first dibs, so sign up in here if you want to play. Let me know if you've played before and if so, what faction(s).

--

Rules

Objective
Be the player with the most doom points when the game ends.
The game ends when:

-One player reaches 30 or more doom points (VP essentially). The game ends at the end of that turn's doom phase.
-The ritual track reaches "sudden death". The game ends at the end of that turn's doom phase.
-One player reaches 30 or more doom points via revealing elder signs (hidden VP chits worth 1-3 doom points each). The games ends immediately. (other players may still reveal their elder signs)

Only players with all 6 spell books are eligible to win when the game ends, regardless of doom points. The player with the most doom points AND all 6 spell books is the winner. If the game ends and no one has 6 spellbooks, the Great Old Ones are sucked back into the gates and humanity wins. Booo!

Basic turn
Gather power phase-
1. Earn 1 Power for each Cultist you have on the map.
2. Earn 2 Power for each Gate you control.
3. Earn 1 Power for each abandoned Gate on the map – each player gains 1 Power per Gate.
4. Return all captured Cultists to their owner’s Pools, and earn 1 Power for each Cultist you return. You may not choose to keep a Cultist prisoner – they must be returned.

At the end of Gather Power, if your Power is less than half that of the player with the most Power, set your Power to be half of his (round fractions up).

Doom Phase-
1. Doom Track advancement
+1 doom point for each controlled gate

2. Rituals of Annihilation
The current player may spend Power equal to the current position of the Ritual marker on the track.
The player now advances the Ritual marker one step up the Ritual of Annihilation track, which often increases the cost for later players.
Finally, the player now advances his Doom marker on the Doom track 1 step for each Gate he controls. (doubling his Doom boost for this turn based on Gates.) In addition, for each Great Old One he controls in play, he gains an Elder Sign.

3. Special Events
Certain spellbook and special ability effects.

4. Victory/Defeat determination
Check for game over condition.

Action phase
The current player may perform one non-unlimited action. (unlimited actions may be performed as many times as you wish in your turn)

-Recruit Cultist
Place a cultist anywhere you have a unit (if no units, cultist can be placed anywhere)
-Summon Monster
Place a monster anywhere you control a gate.
-Awaken Great Old One
Your faction's special conditions for doing so must be met.
-Build Gate
Place a gate anywhere you have a cultist. Limit one gate per area.
-Move
Spend as much power as you wish. For each power spent, move one unit one space. Each unit may only move once.
-Battle
Initiate a battle against ONE other player in an area where that player has units and you have at least one combat die.
-Capture Cultist
Capture another player's cultist if you have a monster/GOO present. Monsters block capture by other monsters, but not GOOs. GOOs can only be blocked by other GOOs.
-Unique action
Faction specific action.

Battle
1) Pre-Battle
The attacker, then defender, applies any Pre-Battle abilities he wants to.
2) Battle
Roll dice
3) Post-Battle
Determine casualties. Remove one unit for every 6 rolled by opponent. Retreat one unit for every 4 or 5 rolled by opponent. Cannot retreat to area where that opponent has units.

Spellbooks
Spellbooks are upgrades and special abilities specific to your faction. Your faction sheet tells you the conditions where you get the earn a spellbooks. When the condition is met, choose a book of your choice. You cannot win the game unless you have all 6 books.

Factions
Great Cthulhu
Cthulhu%2BWars%2B-%2BReference%2BCard%2B-%2BGreat%2BCthulhu.JPG

errata

Spellbook requirement
In the first Doom phase, receive this spellbook. Also receive 1 Elder Sign.

Spellbooks-

Devolve (Ongoing): At the end of any player's Action (even if it's not your turn), transform one or more of your Acolyte Cultists anywhere on the map into Deep Ones.

Absorb (Pre-Battle): If a Shoggoth is present, eliminate one or more of your Monsters or Cultists from the Area. For each Unit so removed, add 3 dice to the Shoggoth's Combat for that Battle.

Regenerate (Battle): Apply up to 2 Battle results to the same Starspawn when taking losses. If both results are Kills, the Starspawn dies. On any other combination of Kill or Pain results, the Starspawn retreats.

Submerge (Action: Cost 1): If Cthulhu is in an Ocean Area, remove him from the map and place him on your Faction card, along with any or all friendly Units in the same area. As a later Action, pay 1 Power to place Cthulhu, plus all accompanying Units, anywhere on the map, including land.

Dreams (Action: Cost 3): Choose an area with enemy Acolyte Cultist(s). Your enemy must eliminate one and replace it with one from your Pool.

Y'ha Nthlei (Ongoing): During Gather Power, if Cthulhu is in play, you gain 1 Power for each enemy-controlled Gate in an ocean Area.

Crawling Chaos
Cthulhu%2BWars%2B-%2BReference%2BCard%2B-%2BCrawling%2BChaos.JPG

Spellbooks-

Abduct (Pre-Battle): Eliminate one or more Nightgaunts in the Battle Area. For each such Nightgaunt, your opponent must eliminate one of his own Monsters or Cultists (his choice) in the Area. After this, combat proceeds.

Invisibility (Pre-Battle): Select one Monster or Cultist (from either Faction) per Flying Polyp present and "exempt" it. The selected Unit takes no part in the rest of the Battle.

Seek and Destroy (Pre-Battle): Immediately move any or all Hunting Horrors from any Area to the Battle Area.

Madness (Ongoing): You get to choose which adjacent Area enemy Units flee to on a Pain result. This happens even in Battles in which you do not participate.

Emissary of the Outer Gods (Post-Battle): Unless an enemy Great Old One is involved in the Battle, any Kill inflicted on Nyarlathotep becomes a Pain.

The Thousand Forms (Action: Cost 0): If Nyarlathotep is in play, roll 1d6. Your foes must lose that much Power between them, they have 1 minute to decide how much each loses. If they cannot agree, you get the rolled number as Power added to your total. Flip this spellbook face-down to indicate it cannot be used again this turn. During Gather Power, flip it face-up again.

Black Goat
Cthulhu%2BWars%2B-%2BReference%2BCard%2B-%2BBlack%2BGoat.JPG

errata

How to Awaken Shub-Niggurath
1) You must have a Controlled Gate, plus at least two Cultists anywhere.
2) Pay 8 Power
3) Remove two Cultists from anywhere on the map. Place Shub-Niggurath on your Controlled Gate.

(Note: the two Cultists do not have be in the same Area.)

Spellbooks-

Frenzy (Ongoing): Your Cultists now have a combat value of 1.

Necrophagy (Post-Battle): Move any or all Ghouls (who were also not involved) from any Area to the Battle Area, even if you are not involved in a Battle. For each Ghoul so moved, both sides in the Battle suffer an additional Pain result.

Ghroth (Action: Cost 2): Roll 1 die. If the result is equal to or less than the number of Areas containing Fungi, your enemies must eliminate Cultists equal to the roll, between them. They have 1 minute to decide how many each should lose. If they cannot agree, you choose for them.

The Red Sign (Ongoing): Your Dark Young can now Build Gates, Control Gates, and earn 1 Power each during the Gather Power phase. They also add 1 Combat during battle. They do not act as Cultists with respect to any other purpose.

Blood Sacrifice (Ongoing): If Shub-Niggurath is in play during the Doom Phase, you can choose to eliminate one of your Cultists (from anywhere on the map). If you do so, get 1 Elder Sign.

The Thousand Young (Ongoing): If Shub-Niggurath is in play, Ghouls, Fungi, and Dark Young cost 1 less Power each to summon.

Yellow Sign
Cthulhu%2BWars%2B-%2BReference%2BCard%2B-%2BYellow%2BSign.JPG
Spellbooks-

Passion (Ongoing): When one of your Cultists is eliminated during the Action Phase, (Captured, Killed, etc.), gain 1 Power.

Zin Gaya (Action: Cost 1): If Undead are in an Area with enemy Acolyte Cultists, transform one such Acolyte Cultist into an Undead.

Shriek of the Byakhee (Action: Cost 1): Move any or all Byakhee from their current Area(s) to one selected Area, regardless of distance.

The Screaming Dead (Action: Cost 1): Move the King in Yellow. Any Undead in the same Area can move with him for free. After this, immediately take a second, different, Action. You may not take He Who Is Not To Be Named as your second Action.

He Who Is Not To Be Named (Action: Cost 1): Move Hastur to any Area containing a Cultist of any Faction (the Cultist said his name, possibly by accident). After this, immediately take a second, different, Action. You may NOT take The Screaming Dead as your second action.

The Third Eye (Ongoing): If Hastur is in play, the cost of Desecration is reduced to 1. If the Desecration succeeds, you also obtain 1 Elder Sign.

*edited to reflect errata rules for Cthulu's spellbook requirement and The Black Goat's Red Sign and Shub-Niggurath*
*edited for correct faction sheet images*
*edited for original wording on all spellbooks, not counting the aforementioned errata*

ACsTqqK.jpg
Astaereth on

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    edited May 2015
    I'm still game, as a reserve for now.

PS. I have never played, I haven't even read the rules yet. I've played a fair bit of Chaos though.

jakobagger on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Happy for random faction. Never played before, just a couple of games of Chaos.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Random faction.

• Options
    Looks like we're waiting to hear from @MrBody and @Lykouragh

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Random is fine for me

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Random is good for me!

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Alright. We'll go in reverse faction list order, highest to lowest roll:

geth roll 1d20 for Jam Warrior
    geth roll 1d20 for admanb
    geth roll 1d20 for MrBody
    geth roll 1d20 for Lykouragh

Jam Warrior:
    1d20 13 [1d20=13]
    admanb:
    1d20 2 [1d20=2]
    MrBody:
    1d20 2 [1d20=2]
    Lykouragh:
    1d20 1 [1d20=1]

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    geth roll 1d20 for adman b
    geth roll 1d20 for MrBody

adman b:
    1d20 12 [1d20=12]
    MrBody:
    1d20 5 [1d20=5]

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Jam Warrior will play The Yellow Sign

admanb will play The Black Goat

MrBody will play The Crawling Chaos

Lykouragh will play The Great Cthulhu

Everybody's initial set-up is forced, so I'll work on getting the starting map up, and then we'll start with Lykouragh, who got the low roll.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    No rush.

After all, time is a flat circle.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Here's our starting map. Please feel free to ooh and ahh over my shitty Paintbrush work.

8nrME7s.png

-Right now everybody has zero doom.
    -The Ritual of Annihilation cost is 5.

-Everybody's Power phase this turn is identical. You get 1 Power for each of your 6 Cultists, 2 Power for your 1 Gate, and that's it, for a total of 8 Power each.
    -We skip the Doom phase on the first turn, so it's on to the Action phase.

Please put your turn actions in bold and your faction name, also in bold, at the top of each post for my convenience.

You can undo any action so long as the next player hasn't gone yet, except for Battle or revealing your Elder Signs.

@Lykouragh please decide whether the turn order this round will be clockwise (you, MrBody, admanb, Jam Warrior) or counterclockwise (you, Jam Warrior, admanb, MrBody), and then make the first move. Everybody remember, each player takes one common/unique action per turn. Ask me if you have any rules questions.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Great Cthulhu

Fhtagn!

Let the turn order be counterclockwise.

We'll summon a Deep One for 1 power in the South Pacific, putting us at 7 power.

I hope limegreen is an appropriate green for Cthulhu.

Do any of the swirly or karat symbols on the continents have a meaning? I couldn't find it in the rulebook if so.

• Options
  • Options
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Do any of the swirly or karat symbols on the continents have a meaning? I couldn't find it in the rulebook if so.

They're purely for the Yellow Sign player; expanding to those regions is how that faction gains its spellbooks.

Current status:

Lykouragh (7 Power)
    ylKIW1M.jpg

Jam Warrior (8 Power)
    8ibIlT2.jpg

admanb (8 Power)
    MypEqUn.jpg

MrBody (8 Power)
    PoLl1JM.jpg

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    As long as I'm around, I'll keep updating the map in case that helps y'all to keep track of things for your turn.

DpHpesM.png

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Maybe replace the white background on the cultists\gates with their owner color. And/or the monster name text in their owner's color

• Options
    The monster name text is there in the owner's color. Gates belong to nobody permanently, just whoever owns the Cultist on it.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    I'm seeing the Deep One text as white?

• Options
    Yellow Sign

Move one cultist to North Asia

@admanb

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I can sort of understand using Scandinavia for all of Northern Europe, but I wonder what's up with calling Australia New Zealand.

• Options
    I think the OP image is from development and the final retail board is Australia.

A quick google suggests the game designer has Ozzie mates and did it deliberately to annoy them.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    I'm seeing the Deep One text as white?

Oh, right. Well, my thinking was that I should go with a green picture and readable text. Only one player has Deep Ones anyway.

lrc4rva.png

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Move a cultist to East Africa. 7 power.

@MrBody

• Options
    Summon Hunting Horror in South Asia

8->5

@lykouragh

• Options
    Y'all know you can do multiple moves in one turn, right? Just checking.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    When you've waited 10,000 years to devour the world, moving two cultists in the same action doesn't seem so urgent!

Move 1 cultist to New Zealand, 7->6

• Options
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    He is a king whom emperors have served.

Yellow Sign pays 4 power (3 remain) to summon the King in Yellow in North Asia.

Activating the spell book of Passion.

Passion (Ongoing): When one of your Cultists is eliminated during the Action Phase, (Captured, Killed, etc.), gain 1 Power.

@admanb

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Cultist from West Africa to South Atlantic. 6 power.

• Options
    NIMBY

Move Hunting Horror from South Asia to North Asia

5->4

@Lykouragh

• Options

Build a Gate in New Zealand. 6->3

@Jam Warrior

• Options
    Whoops, and if it's ok control that gate with my cultist

• Options
    Yep, that's a free action.

qPF09w2.png

Current player status:

Lykouragh (3 Power)
    ylKIW1M.jpg

Great Cthulhu Spellbooks:
    -In the first Doom Phase, receive this Spellbook. Also receive 1 Elder Sign.
    -In any Doom Phase in which you have 5 Spellbooks, receive this Spellbook. Also receive 1 Elder Sign.
    -Kill and/or Devour an enemy Unit in a battle
    (these 2 can be earned in a single battle, if you Kill and/or Devour 3 or more Units)
    -Kill and/or Devour two enemy Units in a battle
    -Control 3 Gates in Ocean Areas OR Four Gates exist in Ocean Areas
    -Awaken Cthulhu

Jam Warrior (3 Power)
    8ibIlT2.jpg

Yellow Sign Spellbooks:
    -Passion (Ongoing): When one of your Cultists is eliminated during the Action Phase, (Captured, Killed, etc.), gain 1 Power.
    -Place a Desecration Token in an Area marked with the Glyph (swirl)
    -Place a Desecration Token in an Area marked with the Glyph (carrot)
    -Place a Desecration Token in an Area marked with the Glyph (scratches)
    -As your Action for a round, select another player. That player gains three Doom points.
    -Awaken Hastur. Also receive 1 Elder Sign.

admanb (6 Power)
    MypEqUn.jpg

Black Goat Spellbooks:
    -Have Units in four Areas
    -Have Units in six Areas
    -Have Units in eight Areas
    -As your Action for a Round, eliminate two of your Cultists
    -Share Areas with all enemies (i.e. both you and the enemy have Units there.)
    -Awaken Shub-Niggurath

MrBody (4 Power)
    PoLl1JM.jpg

Crawling Chaos Spellbooks:
    -As your Action for a Round, pay 4 Power
    -(these 2 can be earned in a single Round by paying 10 Power)
    -As your Action for a Round, pay 6 Power
    -Control 3 Gates OR have 12 Power
    -Control 4 Gates OR have 15 Power
    -Capture an enemy Cultist
    -Awaken Nyarlathotep

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    I just woke up from a bad dream that everyone had their GOO in my starting area devouring my cultists.

Cthulhu driving me mad with dreams already o_O

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Aggressive start! Best change up my plans then.

Attempt to desecrate North Asia for 2 power, 1 remains.

Geth roll 1d6

1d6 5 [1d6=5]

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Balls.

Fail to desecrate but summon a Byakhee to North Asia.

@admanb

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Getting crowded up in North Asia! Here's the last update for the night. Typically weeknights I'll update around 4pm and then off and on through 11 or 12, Pacific time.

If it comes to battle, I'll do the rolling so that both sides are simultaneous. And don't forget to skip players with zero Power (and players approaching zero, don't forget you can't do free actions if you have no Power left).

urMYrc7.png

Player statuses:
    Lykouragh (3 Power)
    ylKIW1M.jpg

Great Cthulhu Spellbooks:
    -In the first Doom Phase, receive this Spellbook. Also receive 1 Elder Sign.
    -In any Doom Phase in which you have 5 Spellbooks, receive this Spellbook. Also receive 1 Elder Sign.
    -Kill and/or Devour an enemy Unit in a battle
    (these 2 can be earned in a single battle, if you Kill and/or Devour 3 or more Units)
    -Kill and/or Devour two enemy Units in a battle
    -Control 3 Gates in Ocean Areas OR Four Gates exist in Ocean Areas
    -Awaken Cthulhu

Jam Warrior (1 Power)
    8ibIlT2.jpg

Yellow Sign Spellbooks:
    -Passion (Ongoing): When one of your Cultists is eliminated during the Action Phase, (Captured, Killed, etc.), gain 1 Power.
    -Place a Desecration Token in an Area marked with the Glyph (swirl)
    -Place a Desecration Token in an Area marked with the Glyph (carrot)
    -Place a Desecration Token in an Area marked with the Glyph (scratches)
    -As your Action for a round, select another player. That player gains three Doom points.
    -Awaken Hastur. Also receive 1 Elder Sign.

admanb (6 Power)
    MypEqUn.jpg

Black Goat Spellbooks:
    -Have Units in four Areas
    -Have Units in six Areas
    -Have Units in eight Areas
    -As your Action for a Round, eliminate two of your Cultists
    -Share Areas with all enemies (i.e. both you and the enemy have Units there.)
    -Awaken Shub-Niggurath

MrBody (4 Power)
    PoLl1JM.jpg

Crawling Chaos Spellbooks:
    -As your Action for a Round, pay 4 Power
    -(these 2 can be earned in a single Round by paying 10 Power)
    -As your Action for a Round, pay 6 Power
    -Control 3 Gates OR have 12 Power
    -Control 4 Gates OR have 15 Power
    -Capture an enemy Cultist
    -Awaken Nyarlathotep

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Astaereth wrote: »

If it comes to battle, I'll do the rolling so that both sides are simultaneous. And don't forget to skip players with zero Power (and players approaching zero, don't forget you can't do free actions if you have no Power left).

Something that tripped me up. You can't do free (unlimited) actions if you start your turn with zero power. You may take an action that reduces your power to zero, then do an unlimited action the same turn.

Also, crap. I forgot the desecrate action lets you put a monster down.

MrBody on
  • Options
    As you always roll every combat dice, and assign the damage results to your own forces, I'm not seeing the need for a third party combat roller unless I'm missing something.

Seeing your opponent's roll before you roll your own can't affect any decisions as far as I can see, because there are no decisions to make at that point!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I suppose. As long as everybody checks for pre-Battle decisions.

ACsTqqK.jpg