As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Phallafly - The End, Village - and half the Mafia - Victory

jdarksunjdarksun StrugglerVARegistered User regular
edited June 2015 in Critical Failures
phallafly-logo.png~original

Find a crew. Find a job. Keep flying.

What is this?

Phalla, the PA Board's take on Mafia/Werewolf. Specifically, this is a Game A/Game B jdarksun-style game, with a second game type overlaying the first.

So what's the second game type?

It's a variation on Firefly: The Game, a board game by Gale Force Nine, LLC.

How do I play?

Start by Signing Up using some sort of colorful language. Also let me know if you want to be a Captain. From there, feel free to self-organize into a crew (max size including Captain is 6)... though keep in mind roles are distributed randomly, and you might not like the characters you end up with.

Game A is Mostly Vanilla Phalla. Everybody votes. Some folk die. If you're village, you need to eliminate all the threats. If you're not, well, I think you know what you need to do.

Game B is Mostly Firefly. Find a crew. Find a job. Keep flying. Avoid the Alliance. Avoid Reavers. Make money. Maybe make so much money that you can Retire and live out your days in luxury on Bellerophon.

Tell me more about Firefly: The Game.

Here's my version of the board, but here's a better one. Captains pick where their ship starts.

The basic sequence of events is: 1) Get Job, 2) Work Job, 3) Get Paid.

There are five folk giving out Jobs: Amnol Dul (Space Bazaar, Red Sun), Niska (Ezra, Georgia), Patience (Athens, Georgia), Harken (Alliance Cruiser, Alliance Space), and Badger (Persephone, Lux). Each patron has a certain flavor to their Jobs.

To pick up a Job, your Crew has to meet the Job Requirement: they need to have a certain set of Skills (Fight, Tech, and Negotiate). Don't worry, everybody starts with one or two Skills. A smart Captain should have no problem putting together the right Crew for the Job.

Jobs come in a two different types: Legal, and Illegal. Legal jobs are less risky, but have a smaller payout. Illegal jobs require the crew to Misbehave, which are Skill Checks with possible bad outcomes (Incapacitation of Crew, Issuing of Warrants), but pay a lot more. Keep an eye out for those Lawful types, though - taking Illegal Jobs is liable to make them grumpy (Receive 50% Payout from Illegal Jobs).

Jobs can also be Immoral. Some of your crew might be Moral, upstanding individuals. Those folk don't like doing bad things, and receive a smaller payout from Immoral Jobs (Receive 50% Payout from Immoral Jobs).

Once a Job is complete, the Captain gets paid. They can then pay their crew. Or not. Be warned, the crew can Mutiny and elect a new Captain.

Don't fancy working for a living? You can do a Pirate job instead, and prey upon the other Captains and Crews. Simply mosey on over to another ship, attempt a boarding action, then try to take their stuff... if you can win the Showdown (opposed Skill Check; both the attacker and defender choose which Skill they want to use).

Maybe Bounty Hunting is more your style? Really, it's not that different from being a Pirate - except instead of seizing goods, you're kidnapping another player. Drop them off and collect the bounty, couldn't be easier.

It sounds all sorts of complicated, but it's easier when it's all in front of you.

What if I die?

If you die by the vote, you're dead in both games. The Mafia/Werewolves can also kill you permanently.

If you're "killed" on a Job or during a Showdown, you're Incapacitated and can't participate until a Medic patches you up.

If you're turned in for your bounty, you're Incapacitated until somebody stages some thrillin' heroics (Showdown with with the Law: good luck).

Incapacitated players can still vote and use any village or non-village abilities they may or may not have.

Captain Actions
A Captain may take any or all of the following actions once per day:
Fly - Expend 1 fuel to move a number of spaces up to your ship's Drive Core Range (this defaults to 5), or fly 1 square for free. Warning: space can be dangerous. You may encounter Alliance Patrols in the "Civilized" (White Sun / Blue areas) region of space. You may encounter Reavers in the "Uncivilized" (everywhere else / Red areas) region of space.
Buy - Purchase fuel ($100), gear, ship upgrades, or spare parts ($300), or hire NPC crew from your location (valid locations: Persephone, Regina, Space Bazaar, Osiris Shipworks, Silverhold).
Deal - Talk to Contacts and take Jobs. You can immediately pick up to two Open/discarded Jobs - first come, first served! - per Day. If you don't want any of the Open/discarded Jobs, you can ask for a new Job from any of the Contacts (Amnon Duul, Badger, Harken, Patience, Niska). Only two Jobs may be picked up per Day. You may not carry over more than three Jobs from Day to Day; excess Jobs must be discarded.
Work - Take an Action on a Job, or Make-Work while in orbit of a planet to receive $200. One or the other, not both. Can Work all Jobs at a single location with one action.
Boarding Test - Attempt a Difficulty 6 Tech or Negotiation Skill Test. Succeed to force a Showdown on a ship in the same region.
Some Captains may also take Crew Actions in addition to Captain Actions.

Captains begin the game with $1000 credits, 6 Fuel, 2 Parts, and a base model Firefly.
The base model Firefly comes with a Range 5 Drive Core, 12 Unit Hold, and 3 Upgrade Slots.

Fuel and Parts are 1/2 Unit in size. All other items are size 1 Unit.

Crew Actions:
Oncer per day, take any or all of the following actions as appropriate to your character:
Embark/Disembark - Move to a planet or another ship (with that Captain's permission) in the same region.
Medic! - Remove the Incapacitated condition from another player in the same region.
Mutiny (target) - Depose the current Captain and put a new one in place. Requires majority vote on the ship.

Keywords
Many gear cards and some crew have special attributes associated with them. Some of these "keywords" are required to take some jobs; some are an "ace in the hole", a trump card of sorts that allows you to skip Skill Checks or otherwise get away from negative consequences when Misbehaving. These Keywords are:
Firearm, Sniper Rifle, Explosives, Hacking Rig, Fake ID, Transport, and Fancy Duds.

Showdown
Both the Attacker and Defender pick a type of Skill Challenge (Fight, Tech, or Negotiation). The results are compared, highest value wins. Ties to go the Defender.

Gear
All characters may equip one piece of Gear, unless otherwise specified. This doesn't require an action, but does need to be clearly stated via PM.

I need to go be dad for a bit; example roles and jobs coming soon. Vote comes first in order of actions. Vote close is at 9pm Eastern. Ask questions in darkorange.

Baidol
JPants
kime
Grunt's Ghosts
Matev
DeamonIzual
Auralynx
Langly
Sir Fabulous
Gizzy
TheRoadVirus
enlightenedbum
Void Slayer
discrider
shalmelo
38thDoe
Bedlam
CesareB
Zombie Hero
Lucedes Ardor
JusticeforPluto
Wash
Sepah
Gumpy
Garick
Wildcat
BertezBertez
Trust
Assuran
Buddha73
chamberlain
Dragon6860
Drez
Virgil_Leads_You
REG Rysk
ObiFett
Retaba
SLyM
Preda
Cantide

Captain Interest
Matev
Baidol
Langly
38thDoe
Bedlam
Grunt's Ghosts
discrider
Gumpy
Preda (if needed)
TheRoadVirus
ObiFett

Clarifications:
Who are the mafia?
In Firefly: The Game, both the Alliance and the Reavers are antagonists to the players. In Phallafly, Alliance Informants will be playing the role of the mafia. If enough players sign up, so will Reavers.
discrider wrote: »
What happens when the mafia kills captains? Does it harm the village to do so, or is that only a problem in the Firefly part?
The Captain is removed from the game, and the Crew of the ship (if any remain) will have to appoint or elect a new Captain. It only harms the village as much as losing any other player harms the village, but it can be a significant set back to a Firefly crew.

Please note that Captains are not guaranteed to be village. They could be mafia.

Baidol wrote: »
[How] does one switch crews after joining one?
Crew can disembark to any valid target at their current location, including planets and other player's ships.

Q: Why do I care if I get Warrant?
A: Because the Alliance doesn't like lawbreakers. Outlaw Ships (ships with Warrants, Fugitives, Contraband, or Wanted Crew) that run afoul of the Alliance has to pay a $1000 fine per Warrant, will have Contraband and Fugitives seized, and may have Wanted Crew incarcerated!

Is ship name automatically determined? Or does the captain get to pick?
Captain's choice.
Are there bot crew or are captains with smaller crews going to be at a disadvantage?
NPC crew are available for hire.
Can crewmembers be forcefully expelled?
Yes, but only when in the same area as a planet or ship that will accept them.

* No airlocking crew. Sorry, this is for balance reasons. Vote them out if you absolutely, positively need to get somebody off your ship in the middle of the black.
* No forcing crew onto another ship. That ship's Captain has to accept them (and that ship has to have room).

Sample Characters

Sample Jobs

Day 1, State of the 'Verse
Night 1
Day 2, State of the 'Verse
Night 2
Day 3, State of the 'Verse
Night 3
Day 4, State of the 'Verse

jdarksun on

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I aim to misbehave.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    oh hell yeah

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So much yes

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Two by two... hands of blue... two by two... hands of blue...

*this is a !Sign up by the way.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Gettin' awful crowded in my sky...

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • DeamonIzualDeamonIzual Registered User regular
    You can't take the sky from me

Oh, and reckonin' I get a ship all my own, I'll be needin' a crew to fly her. Anyone what wants decent pay and a berth can send me missive care of the Chip-Chap and we can discuss terms of contract.

Hail Hydra
    The good ship Mafia will be soliciting application for employment tomorrow after roles have been distributed.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Okay.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Pew pew pew

I will be a captain.

The SS Tortuga is accepting applications. Please give your space bounty hunter qualifications via pm

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Oh man I've been waiting so long for this! This was the first TV show I was truly obsessed with.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Gizzy

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I swear by my pretty floral bonnet that I will end you all

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Geth agrees. Sweet.
    @N1tSt4lker
    @Oats

Hey. Come play.

Lookin' for a ship to keep runnin' and ship-shape.
    PM me if you could use a crew member. Strongest case wins

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Can't resist. Hopefully I'll be functional next Sunday/Monday. If not I'll figure something out on campus.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    And per host clarifications, I'm officially signing up as a Captain

Hail Hydra
  • DeamonIzualDeamonIzual Registered User regular
    Also I'm fine working as crew.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    @Bedlam
    Not to impugn anyone else's qualifications but I want to be a rude dude in space and you are the best captain for that job.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Doesn't even need weapons! Hyuk hyuk

Seriously though my method would be this, but in space

131328155447554.png

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Look, I just need a place to lay low for a while. I swear I only did half the things they are accusing me of.

Who are the mafia?

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    What happens when the mafia kills captains? Does it harm the village to do so, or is that only a problem in the Firefly part?

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Somebody around here needs to quit taking the Bei zuzhou sky from me.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Were I unwed I would take you in a manly fashion. Because you're pretty.
    Also signing up as captain, because it worked out for me so well last game.
    Also @jdarksun you are awesome for running a Firefly game. I love firefly quite a bit. Wife and I have actually been re-watching it this week.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    @Bedlam
    Not to impugn anyone else's qualifications but I want to be a rude dude in space and you are the best captain for that job.
    If you cant walk you crawl, and if you cant crawl you find somebody to carry you.

And if any one of you space doggies thinks about mutiny on my ship I will not hesitate to carry you into the nearest gorram sun.

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    I can probably handle this I guess

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Captains
    Burgess
    Name: Burgess
    Type: Captain
    Profession: none
    Skills: Fight, Tech, Negotiate
    Special: Taker - When you complete a Shipping Job, Load 1 Cargo. Fancy Duds.

Corbin
    Name: Corbin
    Profession: Mechanic
    Skills: Tech, Tech, Negotiate
    Special: Chop Shop - You may Buy Drive Cores and Ship Upgrades at half price.

Malcolm
    Name: Malcolm
    Profession: Pilot, Soldier
    Moral
    Skills: Fight, Fight, Negotiate
    Special: Brown Coat - When you complete a Crime Job, take $500.

Marco
    Name: Marco
    Skills: Fight, Fight, Tech
    Special: Gun Runner - You may Buy Gear with the “Explosives” or “Firearm” Keywords at half price. Transport.

Monty
    Name: Monty
    Profession: Mechanic, Soldier
    Moral
    Skills: Fight, Fight, Tech
    Special: Smuggler Extraordinaire - When you complete a Smuggling Job, take $500.

Nandi
    Name: Nandi
    Profession: Companion
    Moral
    Skills: Negotiate, Negotiate, Fight.
    Special: Heart of Gold - May Hire NPC Crew at no cost.

Womack
    Name: Womack
    Profession: Soldier
    Skills: Fight, Fight, Negotiate
    Special: Cold and Heartless - When you complete an Immoral Job, take $500.

“Sash”
    Name: “Sash”
    Skills: Negotiate, Negotiate, Tech
    Special: Pirate - When you complete a Piracy Job, steal $500 from the targeted Rival Captain. Hacking Rig.

Jubal Early
    Name: Jubal Early
    Profession: Pilot
    Skills: Fight, Tech, Negotiate
    Special: Bounty Hunter - +Fight, +Fight when Attacking in a Showdown. May Carry 2 Gear.

Inara
    Name: Inara
    Type: (Upgraded) Captain
    Profession: Companion
    Moral
    Skills: Negotiate, Negotiate, Negotiate
    Special: Finding the Better Path: When you complete a Legal, non-Immoral Job, take $500.

Kaylee
    Name: Kaylee
    Moral
    Skills: Tech, Tech, Tech
    Special: Resourceful Mechanic - May load up to 2 Parts for free when taking the Buy action.

YoSafBridge
    Name: Yolanda. Or Saffron. Or Bridge.
    Profession: Companion, Grifter
    Skills: Negotiate, Negotiate, Tech
    Special: Deceptive: Change your name to discard a Wanted token. Must insist players call you by your new name.

NPC Crew
    Name: Gun Hand
    Type: NPC Crew
    Profession: Merc
    Skills: Fight
    Cost $100

Name: Bandit
    Skills Fight, Fight
    Cost: $200
    Warrant Issued

Name: Sawbones
    Profession: Medic
    Skills: Tech
    Special: Can take the Medic! action once per day.

Name: Scrapper

Name: Flyboy

Name: Merchant
    Skills: Tech, Negotiate

Name: Used Starship Salesman
    Profession: Grifter
    Skills: Negotiate
    Cost: $100

Heroic Crew
    Agent McGinnis
    Name: Agent McGinnis
    Type: Crew
    Lawful
    Profession: Lawman
    Skills: Tech, Negotiation
    Special: Fed - Whenever you lose a Showdown, Warrant Issued to the winner. Bounty Bonus: +$500.

River Tam
    Name: River Tam
    Moral
    Skills: See Special
    Special: Gifted - Before each test, roll 1d6. 3: Fight, Fight. 4: Tech, Tech. 5: Negotiate, Negotiate. 6: 3 Skills of your choice.
    Warrant Issued

Simon Tam
    Name: Simon Tam
    Moral
    Profession: Medic
    Skills: Tech, Tech
    Special: “I Am Very Smart” - May take two Medic! actions per day. +2 to River Tam’s “Gifted” rolls. Fancy Duds.
    Warrant Issued

Billy
    Name: Billy
    Special: Salvage Pro - +1 Cargo from Salvage Ops.
    Warrant Issued

Shepherd Book
    Name: Shepherd Book
    Moral
    Skills: Fight, Negotiate
    Special: Secret Past - Fake ID

Bree
    Name: Bree
    Special: Black Market Ties - May sell Parts to any Contact for $300.
    Warrant Issued

Emma
    Name: Emma
    Moral
    Skills: Negotiate, Negotiate
    Special: Morale Booster - May suppress Payout penalty for working an opposed Job for one other character onboard the ship.

Jayne
    Name: Jayne
    Skills: Fight, Fight
    Special: Public Relations - May Carry 3 Gear.
    Warrant Issued

Zoë
    Name: Zoë
    Moral
    Special: Dust Devil - May re-roll failed Fight Skill Tests once per Test.
    Warrant Issued

Stitch
    Name: Stitch
    Special: Cantankerous - Once per Work Action, may treat a Negotiate Skill Test as a Fight Skill Test.
    Warrant Issued

Chari
    Name: Chari
    Special: Turncoat - Once per Showdown, force your Rival to re-roll.

Dalin
    Name: Dalin
    Special: Intel Broker - Once per Work Action, you may pay $200 to discard and re-draw a failed Misbehave Card.
    Warrant Issued

Wash
    Name: Hoban “Wash” Washburne
    Moral
    Special: Hard Burn - +1 to Drive Core Range

Tracey
    Name: Tracey
    Special: Unlucky - Whenever a Crew member is Incapacitated, Tracey must be Incapacitated first.
    Warrant Issued

Helen
    Name: Helen
    Moral
    Special: Morale Booster - May suppress Payout penalty for working an opposed Job for one other character onboard the ship.
    Warrant Issued

Jesse
    Name: Jesse
    Skills: Fight, Tech
    Special: Opportunist - +1 Contraband from Salvage Ops.
    Warrant Issued

Lund
    Name: Lund
    Special: Cheap Shot - May use Gear for Skill Tests even when forbidden.

Crow
    Name: Crow
    Special: Knife Fighter - +Fight when Carrying a Knife. May not Carry a Firearm.
    Warrant Issued

Lucy
    Name: Lucy
    Moral

Sheriff Bourne
    Name: Sheriff Bourne
    Lawful, Moral
    Profession: Lawman
    Special: Jurisdiction - +Fight, +Fight for all Skill Tests while in Border Space. Bounty Bonus: +$500.

Elder Gommen
    Name: Elder Gommen
    Moral
    Profession: Hill Folk
    Special: Angry Mob - +Fight when you have at least 3 Hill Folk in the Crew

The Grange Brothers
    Name: The Grange Brothers, Earl and Val
    Special: Two of a Kind - May Carry 2 Gear.
    Warrant Issued
    Warrant Issued

The Fixer
    Name: The Fixer
    Special: Shady Connections - Fake ID
    Warrant Issued

The Guardian
    Name: The Guardian
    Profession: Medic, Soldier
    Special: Security Pro - May re-roll failed Showdown Tests.

The Patron
    Name: The Patron
    Moral
    Profession: Hill Folk
    Special: Angry Mob - +Fight when you have at least 3 Hill Folk in the Crew

The Specialist
    Name: The Specialist
    Special: Wet Work - Sniper Rifle, Firearm. May not Carry Gear.
    Warrant Issued

The Accountant
    Name: The Accountant
    Special: Cooking the Books - Take $500 every other day.

The Bandit
    Name: The Bandit
    Special: Bird-Doggin’ - When you complete a Piracy Job, steal $200 from the targeted Rival.
    Warrant Issued

The Head Goon
    Name: The Head Goon
    Special: Goon Squad - +Negotiate, +Negotiate when you have at least 3 Mercs in the Crew.

The Merchant
    Name: The Merchant
    Skills: Negotiate, Tech
    Special: Shrewd Trader - Whenever you sell Cargo to a Contact, take an extra $100 per Cargo.

Please note that these are just samples. An exhaustive list of all possible roles will be provided publicly, and the Mafia/Werewolves will be provided with cover roles that are exclusive as appropriate for (Captains and Heroic Crew).

Clarifications:
    Who are the mafia?
    In Firefly: The Game, both the Alliance and the Reavers are antagonists to the players. In Phallafly, Alliance Informants will be playing the role of the mafia. If enough players sign up, so will Reavers.
    discrider wrote: »
    The Captain is removed from the game, and the Crew of the ship (if any remain) will have to appoint or elect a new Captain. It only harms the village as much as losing any other player harms the village, but it can be a significant set back to a Firefly crew.

Please note that Captains are not guaranteed to be village. They could be mafia.

jdarksun on
    Who does one switch crews after joining one?

Gizzy wrote: »
    Gizzy

I'M NOT ON THE LIST
    SADFACE

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i will play this!

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Howdy stranger!

You lost in this big o' system? Lookin' to get in a bit of trouble, money, or both? Then get your gear and come down, zǒu gǒu, to the Backdoor Bitch. This Butters Class ship is reenforced with a triple layer of titanium in the nose of the ship, perfect for taking shots from the front and slamming the gǒu shǐ out of Alliance ships. Interested? Come talk to Captain G. Ghosts to get your place in the stars. Companions welcome and get first pick.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I will also sign up as Captain Disc I. Der

Anyone who wants to come fly in the SS. Derelict should note there is a strict succession plan of being the first to call dibs when I die horribly Night 2.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    [How] does one switch crews after joining one?
    Crew can disembark to any valid target at their current location, including planets and other player's ships.
    Gizzy

I'M NOT ON THE LIST
    SADFACE
    Those responsible have been sacked.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

• WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    absolutely