• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I feel like I talked the final boss to death in New Vegas

I don't remember a lot of shooting

On my part, anyway

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    MGS 5 feels like I need to spend 200 hours playing previous games to have any idea what is going on.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhMsboqMMzs

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Keep having to reseat the HDD on this thing.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    No amount of bells and whistles can save a game that doesn't look good
    They can get off the ground as long as they create gameplay there's a demand for that isn't filled by the AAA games though.

See: DayZ.

I was talking about looking pretty.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    MGS 5 feels like I need to spend 200 hours playing previous games to have any idea what is going on.

Big Boss wanted to make the world better by ending all war through showy displays of strength.

Solid Snake shot him.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

The broadstrokes are pretty simple; in MGS1 they kept talking about this badass crazy man called Big Boss who did some raw shit before being killed by his son.

MGSV you're playing as that crazy man and you're gonna do some raw shit.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    First half-day at my new positon. Moving from being a lab monkey to a proper sysadmin.

Anyway I walk in and apparently one of the major SANs has died overnight, the team that was supposed to monitor that wasn't, data lost, all test execution and build has ground to a halt.

Someone's getting fired.

Aside from that, I think once I start doing this full time I won't be able to [chat] at work.
    Abolish the wage system.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Continue my annoyance with metro. One blue train every 20 minutes? Really metro?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    gediminas-einikis-ships-racing.jpg?1431310859

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

The games aren't that long actually. If you make it through boss fights in 2 tries give or take or go in with hints, there mostly 12-20 for 1-4 each. 4 is a silly amount of cut scenes. like hours worth. giant bomb has one of their guys playing through 1-3 blind and its mostly a great watch. He gets stuck a few times and its super frustrating, becuase MGS has the worst controls you have ever seen. The phrase "I am holding down 6 buttons right now, and I have to release 1 in order to fire my gun" occurs at least twice.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MGS has been pretty facinating to watch grow up. It was clearly meant to end with MGS2, because Kojima wrote himself into a hard corner there. And then MGS3 was a prequel that pretty much gave you all you'd ever really need to know about Big Boss. MGS4 felt like half contractual obligations, half fan service as they wrote to a kind of conclusion. Then Konami's B-team shit the bed with a PSP game that wasn't a worthy successor, so Kojima gotta come back and right the ship with Peace Walker. And then he decides he's got one last game in him and gets crackin' on MGSV.

As a sequel to a prequel about a guy who is dead as of the start of the series, I should have no faith in this thing. It's gonna be the best game ever. <3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Someone didn't separate content from code

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited June 2015

this looks like concept art for this weird hovercraft racing game we had in the Tesla battletech pods at the wizards game center. I think it was called Red Planet.

you sat in this thing:

vglu_c3.jpg

and the things you raced in were all kind of ponderous hulks. It required a lot of thinking ahead because you had to be maneuvering long before you got near an obstacle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhW95Lsfs2w

the graphics were crude but actually sitting in those pods managing half a dozen screens and tons of buttons and foot pedals and throttle and joystick etc... made it so intense.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Now I have a presidential nomination

HO-HO-HO

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

sad, looks like it was fixed already

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    MGS has been pretty facinating to watch grow up. It was clearly meant to end with MGS2, because Kojima wrote himself into a hard corner there. And then MGS3 was a prequel that pretty much gave you all you'd ever really need to know about Big Boss. MGS4 felt like half contractual obligations, half fan service as they wrote to a kind of conclusion. Then Konami's B-team shit the bed with a PSP game that wasn't a worthy successor, so Kojima gotta come back and right the ship with Peace Walker. And then he decides he's got one last game in him and gets crackin' on MGSV.

As a sequel to a prequel about a guy who is dead as of the start of the series, I should have no faith in this thing. It's gonna be the best game ever. <3

??

MGS2 had so many unanswered questions and loose ends.

A magic mind control arm. Solid Snake's still infected with FoxDie. La li lu le lo.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    W3 has limited decision trees, because you play as Geralt. And that feels much more immersive than totally open. But the decisions have consequences that you can't always predict, and sometimes come hours later so you have to live with it.

In FO4 I really fear kick puppy / save puppy choices which is pretty old hat.

I played New Order after W3 and was pretty amazed at the setback of facial expression. That's what W3 really nails.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    YoshisummonsYoshisummons You have to let the dead vote, otherwise you'd just kill people you disagree with!Registered User regular
    But can you duel with yugioh cards while driving them?

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    In those tesla pods the video card was substantially bigger than the motherboard. The computers in the backs of the things couldn't have their cases on it stuck out so far. And they ran DOS 3.0 while the server ran on an old Mac.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    W3 has limited decision trees, because you play as Geralt. And that feels much more immersive than totally open. But the decisions have consequences that you can't always predict, and sometimes come hours later so you have to live with it.

In FO4 I really fear kick puppy / save puppy choices which is pretty old hat.

I played New Order after W3 and was pretty amazed at the setback of facial expression. That's what W3 really nails.

Yeah W3's faces are well-rendered to a fault.
    They're about two steps better than the rest of the character models so sometimes it's a bit jarring!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    "I live on, through this arm!" May be the dumbest line in a big videogame, ever.

That is a hotly contested field.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    marijuanas

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

??

MGS2 had so many unanswered questions and loose ends.

A magic mind control arm. Solid Snake's still infected with FoxDie. La li lu le lo.

He's said a few times since, that was supposed to be the ending. Since we were playing from Raiden's perspective, there was supposed to be a bunch of stuff that just straight up goes unresolved. Later games had to take that stuff into consideration, but at the time, yeah. That's it. :P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    "I live on, through this arm!" May be the dumbest line in a big videogame, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JuK1Yr35Io

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JuK1Yr35Io

That's more of an atrocious line reading.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I love how absolutely gormless like 80% of the peasantry's faces look in W3.

CDPR going in hard for the "i'm just a poor muck farmer" look.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I wonder if by this point more people have played FO3 and New Vegas than the originals.

Almost certainly. The market was much smaller back then (PC only, and released at a time when RPGs weren't that popular).

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Fallout 4 looks like a shitload of fun and I love the voiced protagonist, it'll help add some personality to Bethesda's otherwise lifeless worlds hopefully

override367 on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    i wanna get a side shave haircut

all the cool kids are doing it

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    i wanna get a side shave haircut

all the cool kids are doing it

Do it!

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    I'm fine with Fallout 4 having all voiced dialog with a PC because why not?

There are still tons of games being made right now to match the tastes of anyone who likes playing them. Pillars of Eternity and Torment are there making classic top down iso CRPGs, The Bard's Tale is coming for that retro big party turn based stuff... wasteland still exists.

Fallout 4 looks like it will be a potentially fun game set in the universe of fallout, using a different format. A format I have really enjoyed in other titles. I'll bite.

This is the problem. Fucking vultures. Just make your own damn setting even if its a rip off, and leave poor fallout alone. Fallout is the series that popularized heavily dialog based gameplay. You could talk the final boss to death. Now fallout won't have any dialog choices. That just isn't right.

I didn't get that impression from the show, just that it's going to be voiced and in the vein of Mass Effect style wheel dialogue. I'm sure your stats and rep will provide additional options for dialogue.

If you choose 2-3 we'd phrases and your char says God knows what after, you don't really have a dialog driven system IMO. You do t control what your char is actually saying. You just make vague suggestions.

• Options
    FO NV has 4M sales on PC alone. The usual split is about 30-40% PC 60-70% consoles

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    The sun has not exploded
    OnlineAthens.com, the website of the Athens Banner-Herald, was the victim of an online miscue early Monday when an unauthorized updated news item atop the site announced “the sun just exploded.”

The item was taken off the site and the Banner-Herald is investigating.

“We’re currently trying to determine what happened to ensure it doesn’t happen again,“ said Joel Kight, Director of Digital of the Athens Banner-Herald.

The erroneous message on OnlineAthens, which is being shared across social media this morning read, “This is the emergency broadcast system. Please ignore this message as always. BTW, the sun just exploded, and we’re all about to die."

“And to our knowledge, the sun has not exploded,” Kight said.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    NV is a fantastic game. I like it as much as FO1. I don't how you build a real FO on this engine though.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    @jacobkosh mass erect andromeda anounce

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Mass
    Effect
    *shits self*

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    But we will see. I won't play fallout 4. If Obsidiqn makes a game on the engine, I will play that, of course.

• Options
    side cuts look better if they're cut short enough that the long bits and the shaved bits aren't entirely the same colour anymore (or, well, through dying the long bit)

contrast is the name of the game

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    The real question in my mind is if I will play the next TES if it is like this. I really don't know.

This discussion has been closed.