As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hard drive dying?

SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
Woke up, screen is a garbled mess. Restart computer, hard drive clicks once then starts spinning fine, no grinding or anything.

Everything is idling around 35-39C so I don't think it's a heat issues.

I ran sfc and it seems to be a corrupted windows file, so could reinstalling windows fix that?

SkutSkut on

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, but sfc /scannow should have replaced any corrupt files it found.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    When a HDD starts making a clicking noise, that's a really bad sign. I'm assuming it is a standard HDD and not a SSD, yes? If this happens again, you need to quickly make sure you have everything backed up ASAP and replace the HDD, because it will only get worse.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    if an SSD started making clicking noises I'd advise calling an exterminator or an exorcist

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    When a HDD starts making a clicking noise, that's a really bad sign. I'm assuming it is a standard HDD and not a SSD, yes? If this happens again, you need to quickly make sure you have everything backed up ASAP and replace the HDD, because it will only get worse.

So far it's only been the one click and no problems since. I'm keeping an eye on it and everything important that needs to back up has been.