As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just when you think you know the page # answers, [Wrestle] thread changes the questions

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
edited August 2015 in Social Entropy++
https://youtu.be/AiyCDGNW4rs

This is one of the more intense, and awesome, promos from "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, who died July 31st of a heart attack.

Roddy was one of the best to ever do it on the microphone. I cannot do justice to him, so here again is the Masked Man, David Shoemaker:
Piper is hardly the first wrestling star who started as a paid loser, but with him, it feels like the rest of his career was informed by that experience. It was LeBell who first saw something in Toombs, and he decided to give him a shot in the Los Angeles promotion he ran with his brother. Piper saw that the road from insignificance to the top led straight through the ultra-popular Guerrero family and their Mexican and Mexican American fan base. Piper assaulted the Guerreros literally and metaphorically, slapping noncombatant family members, disrupting trophy ceremonies, and, most famously, coming to the ring to apologize by playing the Mexican national anthem on his bagpipes and instead playing “La Cucaracha.” They started calling him “Rowdy” Roddy. These weren’t just the acts of a young villain trying to make a name — they were screams of determination by a scrawny runaway eager to make good. For Piper, it wasn’t playing heel that mattered — it was getting noticed.

Consider Piper’s famous run in the Pacific Northwest territory, where he fully came into his own. He had left California as a villain, after losing to Chavo in a hair-versus-hair match and later a loser-leaves-town match, though he stuck around a while afterward under a mask, as the Masked Canadian. Up north, he was brought in as a villain but soon turned on his accomplice, “Playboy” Buddy Rose, after an eight-man tag match went awry. Piper, who was pigeonholed as a second-string baddie, had been underestimated again. But, almost immediately, he became the most popular hero in the territory, looking like nothing so much as a kid wrestling in his yard in his underwear. He challenged Rose to a hair-versus-hair match, and this time Piper won.

But what were arguably the most memorable moments of his early career were the times he smashed a full beer bottle against his forehead to prove his toughness — once in San Francisco and once in Portland.1 Piper had developed into a good brawler and an inspired talker, but these moments were Rowdy distilled. It was an indignant, vulnerable explosion. It was a cry for recognition and of lunatic commitment. And it worked, because just like the bottle smashing against his scalp, it was completely real.

When he went to Georgia, it was like an acceptance into the wrestling mainstream, though again Piper was miscast — he worked as an announcer alongside the legendary Gordon Solie. Some argue that the heel-announcer act was a Piper innovation — before Bobby Heenan, before Jesse Ventura, there was Piper. But he cemented his legacy for shocking fans when he came to Solie’s aid when Solie was threatened by the Magnificent Muraco. The following week, Solie attempted to describe Piper’s uncertain allegiances: “He wants to be an island unto himself.”

Source

Click there for more. Here is a link to the mentioned beer bottle promo:

https://youtu.be/lHh9Wb--J0M

Lets discuss wrestlethings.

Goose! on

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Goose, Seth Rollins isn't Flair. No one is and it doesn't have anything to do with his booking.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    I don't mind them booking Seth the way they have.

I do have a problem with them turning him into a boring worker in the ring, because they're afraid that the crowds will stop hating him.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I just mean that a guy like Flair had the pedigree, had the stroke, and had the charisma/ability to get away with these things. Seth could use any and all help, as could anyone not named John Cena.

Because if you look at the era of Flair, it wasn't just Flair. There were quite a few guys who had that drawing power. Had that name that you knew even if you weren't an active wrestling fan. Hogan, Flair, Dusty, Randy, etc. etc.

All we have now is Cena. And that's not good enough.

• Options
    Maximum wrote: »
    I don't mind them booking Seth the way they have.

I do have a problem with them turning him into a boring worker in the ring, because they're afraid that the crowds will stop hating him.

His style is naturally babyface. Can't do much about that sadly.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    MCU Park, which is hosting the pre-Summerslam ROH show, just announced a WWE night on the 19th (taking place 3 days before the ROH show), with Ryback/Fandango/Eva Marie/Charlotte in a celeb softball game and signing autographs

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    There's no such thing as face style or heel style, there are moves and how the person sells it. If Seth wants to do this Phoenix splash or whatever this fancy top rope move people keep mentioning is, that would be a perfect excuse for him to waste the opening 20 mninutes of each show saying how awesome he is, even if he is still otherwise booked as a coward.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    From the Grantland article:
    “Everybody’s dead,” he told Gumbel. “They’re all dying early and nobody cares about it … They take them and they screw them up so much.” The wrestling business had a great entrance plan, he said — the quick fame, the adulation, the highs — but “it’s got no exit plan.” Piper was still working because he couldn’t get anything from his pension until he turned 65, and “I’m not going to make 65,” he said. “Let’s just face facts, guys.” WWE fired him after the interview aired.

Oof.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Super Best Friends started doing a Wrestlers to Persona comparison during Rustlemania 2, but they stopped partway through, so I took it, improved on it, and finished it.

Fool - Sami Zayn
    Magician - Seth Rollins
    Preistess - Renee Young
    Empress - Stephanie
    Emperor - HHH
    Heirophant - Randy Orton
    Lovers - The Bella Twins
    Chariot - Sasha Banks
    Strength - Cesaro
    Hermit - William Regal
    Fortune - Charlotte
    Justice - Roman Reigns
    Hanged Man - Dean Ambrose
    Death - Undertaker
    Temperance - Paul Heyman
    Devil - Vince
    Tower - Bray Wyatt
    Star - Bayley
    Moon - Kevin Owens
    Sun - Daniel Bryan
    Judgement - Brock Lesnar
    The World - John Cena

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    Ryback says he will be 100 percent by Summerslam and adds this
    The IC Title is far from cursed. Sometimes situations happen that appear negative, but the results and things that come from them are good.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I don't know how to feel about this.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Radius wrote: »

If Seth comes out wearing a knees 2 faces shirt tho

• Options
    MCU Park, which is hosting the pre-Summerslam ROH show, just announced a WWE night on the 19th (taking place 3 days before the ROH show), with Ryback/Fandango/Eva Marie/Charlotte in a celeb softball game and signing autographs

Eh, I don't see the problem there.

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Damn, I think I'd rather see that softball game than Summerslam.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Radius wrote: »

it's good as hell

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    injury merch is terrible and in bad taste

fuck that shirt

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    well I heartily disagree that it's always in bad taste.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think that shirt is rad and as long as Cena doesn't mind it, which I doubt he would, it is totally fine

It's a broken nose, Seth didn't kill anyone.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Like that shirt gets made if Cena doesn't want it made

• Options
    Retro Observer showing Dave predicting Death of WCW
    Flat is probably the best way to describe the Bash as a show. While still thriving off the momentum created as interest in the company was on the ascension until two months ago, it is clear again that the future demands some major changes. The answer is relatively easy and initially will be painful. The old guard needs to pass the torch to the new guard. Business will go down initially, but as with the WWF, in the long run the face of the product will be fresh. It was funny seeing just before the main event that Jurassic Park sign regarding Hogan & Hart vs. Piper & Savage air because the director thought it was a positive sign, not realizing the sign emphasized the growing feeling that the wrestlers on the top of the promotion were dinosaurs. You could probably write a book, and someday someone might, just on how anyone could pay Bret Hart so much money and use him so poorly, but while his short-term money is with Hogan and that can't be thrown away, by being positioned in the dinosaur match, he clearly in the eyes of the fans became one of the dinosaurs.

Also, Mania truck spotted (spoiled due to size)
    Pmqn0uh.jpg

Sup Rock

• Options
    rock vs r-truth to main event wrestlemania star!

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Yeah like

I just see this as them spinning an unfortunate thing that happened, but Cena totally strikes me as a dude that would totally be down with this

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    What I wouldn't give for an Owen 3:16 shirt

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    The Roddy tribute didn't hit me as hard as the Dusty tribute, but that was still really good.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    i really wish i could've gone to this raw, but no one wanted to go with me

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    rock vs r-truth to main event wrestlemania star!

You're clearly wrong.
    Its obviously Cena vs Truth and Nikki vs Rock

• Options
    edited August 2015
    seth is wearing the shirt!

Variable on
  • Options
    that shirt is fantastic and perfect for seth

• Options
    Yikes that broken nose is still nasty.

• Options
    i didnt know we had to see this replay 40 times before this promo was over!

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »

I've always wanted an official ENOUGH IS ENOUGH/IT'S (CLOCK) 4 A CHANGE shirt

• Options
    Sweeney when exactly is that Meltzer quote from?

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Haha, gross!

• Options
    I can't believe people thought this wasn't happening

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Whippy wrote: »

I've always wanted an official ENOUGH IS ENOUGH/IT'S (CLOCK) 4 A CHANGE shirt

A girl in my class today was wearing a shirt with a chicken on it that said "I AM NOT A NUGGET"

It made me think of Owen and smile

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Well, it was nice having you as champ, Seth.

• Options
    this is real dumb

• Options
    Holy crap I almost forgot that Austin/Piper Pit. I marked out so hard at the time.

This discussion has been closed.